Anwar Robinson Kicked Off and Cut Off of American Idol

April 20, 2005 10:39 PM by Joe Blackmon

Anwar_robinson_aiLast week, the bottom three contestants each got to sing a song during an hour-long results show.  This week, the results show was back to only half-an-hour, and Anwar Robinson was kicked off and cut off mid-song as the credits rolled.  It would have been nice to hear Anwar sing one last full song before he was shown the door, but we guess there just wasn’t time with everything that had to be packed into the thirty minute show.

The results show starts with Ryan asking Bo what it is like being famous to which Bo replies, "Well, I don’t have anything like a star like some people."  A perfect lead-in to a segment on Ryan Seacrest getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  We get to see Ryan dirty dancing with a group of girls, assaulting a make-up artist, slaughtering the French language, demonstrating his expert knowledge of the animal kingdom, doing something with a pink flamingo that we don’t even want to take a guess at, and finally posing with his star.

After the staged surprise Ryan segment, the American Idol finalist perform a song called "You Can Shine" that was written especially for them by legendary songwriter John Farrar.  In addition to singing, some of the idols showcase their other musical talents such as Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice who play guitar and Anwar Robinson who plays keyboards.

Next comes the dramatic build-up to the elimination.  Ryan Seacrest divides the finalist into two groups.  One group consists of Vonzell Solomon, Constantine Maroulis, and Carrie Underwood, and the other group consists of Anthony Fedorov, Anwar Robinson, and Scott Savol.  Ryan then tells Bo Bice that he is safe and asks him to go stand with the group that he thinks is the top group.  Bo wisely avoids a set-up that would have alienated him from three of his fellow contestants and stands in the middle of the two groups.

Ryan eventually lets Bo off the hook and tells him to go stand with Vonzell, Constantine, and Carrie,  and reveals that Anthony, Anwar, and Scott are the bottom three.  Scott once again proves to be Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof, and Ryan sends Anthony and Scott back to the couch.  Ryan points out that Anwar is "said to be technically our best singer," but that the viewers have voted to send him home.  Anwar says in his farewell video, "I never thought I would have made it this far anyway.  I’m glad to have been here."  The statement is ironic considering only a couple weeks ago Anwar was widely considered to be a sure bet to make the final two or three.  For the second week in a row, American Idol fans have demonstrated that even favorites can quickly fall from grace and be sent home.

Topics: American Idol |

31 Responses to “Anwar Robinson Kicked Off and Cut Off of American Idol”

1. Rosalyn Says:
    April 20th, 2005 at 11:37 pm

this is not fair….. he is an excellent singer.

2. Kyoko Ehling Says:
    April 20th, 2005 at 11:58 pm

Whoever goes off every week in the past or future until somebody get winning post, I miss the person who left next(each) week.
    And I understand they have to make the show in thirty minuts, but it was like tonight, showing Ryan’s info about his star in hollywood uesd a lot of time and I wanted to see Anwer’s last singing stage instead of it. Please somebody agree with me and complain to FOX TV!!!

3. gregg Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 12:50 am

Anwar was annoying. He butchered September by Earth, Wind & Fire. He deserved to go.

4. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 12:56 am

anwar sucks! I am glad he is gone. Now lets get rid of Scott and maybe my dog will stop howling!

5. Col Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 1:37 am

Poor Anwar..I will miss him..Scott should have been axed or Carrie for that matter…Anyway, the most important question is still whether Anthony is gay?

6. jimmy santos Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 5:37 am

I’m so glad that my favorite are still on top six: they are constantine, anthony and bo…I don’t care about carrie. she is boring but i like vonzell to stay on the race…voice not too great but she has the nicest performance. scott should be eliminated first than anwar.

7. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 8:04 am

Too bad for Anwar I thought he was good. Far as for Scott or Anthony, they should have been gone before Nadia.

8. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 8:17 am

Anwar was the perfect American Idol … He had a beautiful voice, a maturity above the others that is very apparent, a warm and charismatic personality that charmed you immediately, he is smart and successful, so handsome … he would have been a wonderful role model for our youth. I am so disappointed. What a shame.

9. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 9:29 am

Anwar … I hope this is not the last we see of you. Take this opportunity and go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 9:34 am

Can’t understand why or how Scott has lasted so long….he should have been gone 4 weeks ago…nothing about him is American Idol quality.

11. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 10:36 am

Anwar, Nikko, and Nadia are all better than most of whats left

12. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 10:39 am

Anwar, Nikko, and Nadia are all better than most of whats left

13. Andrea Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 11:30 am

What’s American thinking? Anwar before Scott?? Please!!!!

14. Kim Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 11:43 am

I can’t believe Anwar was sent home. He is such a good singer, not too mention kind and good looking…what about that smile and beautiful teeth! I will definetly miss him. It amazes me that Scott and Anothony are still there, Carrie even for that fact. What about next year voting for the one you want sent home rather than voting fo your favorite???
    I will miss you Anwar!!!

15. Anonymous Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 11:49 am

I ditto everything by Kim!!!!!!!!!!! I will miss you to, Anwar. But don’t let this discourage you – you were by far the best … and would have made a wonderful american idol. Keep at it! You have it all!

16. don Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 12:48 pm

I think it would be better to vote for the one to eliminate rather than for your favorite. I think that is why we see some of the surprising results like this past week.

17. JAN Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 12:48 pm

Scott, Scott, Scott…………Am I the only one hearing all those bad notes? He should have been gone when the rest of the contestants that couldn’t hit the notes left…..Everyone roots for the underdog but they do have to have pitch and hit the notes……..Wonderful Singers have already left because people are tired of the same old same old sounds! But them gone and hearing these bad notes as a choice I will take the same old same old……

18. civi Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 3:42 pm

Damn the authorities for kicking off Anwar. THey just hate us black folks

19. Joe Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 4:45 pm

Anwar was/is a class act, handsome, talented and intellectually beyond most of the viewers. Scott is an anti-hero, an ordinary person with some talent but not much charisma, like most of the viewers watching. That’s why he is still around. Anthony is middle America, a sociological choice. The remaining constestants are very talented and hopefully, fairly treated. Simon is the major influence, has his favorite and will do all he can to navigate his/her success, with his comments.

20. Annette Goodman Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 4:47 pm

It seems to me that this go around of American Idol hasn’t even been about musicianship. All I hear are bashing comments made back and fourth by the judges to each other. With all the wonderful talent that is being represented on that stage,it is a shame to waste all that air time on nonsence and whinning. “GO VONZELL!”

21. Jeff Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Scott sucks he should have gone home, Hale to the rockers!!!!!!!!!

22. margarheita Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 7:46 pm

i think a lot of people are being unfair to scott.let’s face it, he sings well.back here at home, a lot of people can belt out easily like anwar but not a lot of people can sing as melodic and as smooth like scott.perhaps, you got some issues about the way he looks,cuz anwar looks so much better than him,right?! try closing your eyes when you listen to him and then try listening to anwar sing that dionne warwick song.tsk,tsk.wait a minute, do you guys even know how to sing? i know a lot of americans are tone deaf.well, most white ones..hahahahahaha…oh come on, i’ve seen the auditions.and a lot of them cant even believe they cant sing.all along they thought they could sing…tsk,tsk.

23. Gabrielle Thomas Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 9:21 pm

I have to say that Anwar’s performance on Tuesday was a hell of a lot better than Scott’s and Anthony’s. I totally agree with the one person that said Scott and Anthony should have gone home even before Nadia. Anwar didn’t deserve to go home yet. Neither did Nadia. But my favorite are still in there and in the end only one person can win.

24. CANDY Says:
    April 21st, 2005 at 10:38 pm

ANWAR, CUTE AND CHARMING BUT, DID NOT HAVE A GREAT VOICE HE COULD HOLD A LONG NOTE AT THE END BUT, THE REST OF THE SONG WAS OFF KEY.

25. heidig7 Says:
    April 22nd, 2005 at 5:33 am

I don’t think Anwar deserved to go. He has one of the greatest voices. I was actually thinking that Anthony was the next to go. I will sure miss the way Anwar gives his own rendition of the songs. Good Bye Anwar!!! I will miss you a lot!!

26. Marlene Lawson Says:
    April 22nd, 2005 at 11:31 am

Anwar gone? Oh my God…how could this have happened? He and Nadia were two of the best singers on American Idol this season. And as for Scott…a beautiful voice? Come on people, clean the wax out of your ears. Anwar…please don’t stop singing…You are wonderful, I’ll buy all youe music! Come on people, enough is enough…all the good singers are being sent away…and as for the person that wrote in and said the racial comment…this has nothing to do with race, I’m white…this has to do with alot of tone death people. Go Bo!!!!

27. Juliette Says:
    April 22nd, 2005 at 7:55 pm

I started off LOVING Anwar. Then week after week, I was disappointed because my expectations of what he is capable of versus what he was singing were so different. I held the belief that he would really blow my mind eventually. BUT HE DIDN’T! I don’t like being continuously disappointed. I began to dread his performances and well, now I don’t have to hold my breath and hope this will be the week. If you don’t got it, you don’t got it.

28. cads_ASIAN Says:
    April 23rd, 2005 at 3:41 pm

Americans are confused!!! Anwar shouldn’t be voted off. What a shame America!!!

Asian will always support you..Anwar!! Keep the heat on!!

29. Anonymous Says:
    July 21st, 2005 at 5:09 pm

i think anthony and anwar should have been safe and send scoot home.scott has a great voice but it is not all that great

30. Sara Says:
    July 25th, 2005 at 12:00 am

I can’t for Anwar’s c release in January of ’06. He will always be my favorite musician. I love his pure, sultry voice.

31. Dawn Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 2:53 pm

ANWAR should have WON American Idol!

Comments