Hit Me Baby One More Time – New NBC Reality TV Show Announced

May 04, 2005 11:09 PM by Joe Blackmon

NBC has added a new alternative series to its summer 2005 lineup with "Hit Me Baby One More Time," a one-hour competition program featuring veteran music hit-makers who will each perform their greatest hit — as well as cover a popular contemporary song — with the favorite to be determined by audience voting, beginning Thursday, June 2 (9-10 p.m. ET).

All three episodes of the series will be hosted by Vernon Kay, who also hosted the British version on ITV.

The announcement was made by Craig Plestis, Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming & Development.

"This exciting new series will reunite the audience with some of their favorite classic musical performers and groups who will play their hits and then compete against each other in an entertaining battle of the bands," said Plestis.

Also included in "Hit Me Baby One More Time" will be background packages on what made the hit-makers famous as well as updates of their current lives and careers.

Kay is a veteran host (or "presenter") in the United Kingdom whose credits include "Head Jam" and "Boys and Girls." He also appeared as himself in the feature film "Shaun of the Dead."

The new series joins six other original alternative series that NBC recently announced would premiere this summer.

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" will be produced by Granada America. The executive producers are Paul Jackson ("Nanny 911," "Hell’s Kitchen"), Curt Northrup ("Celebrity Fit Club," "America Princess"), Michael Agbabian & Dwight D. Smith ("Last Comic Standing," "Weakest Link"), Daniel Soiseth ("Hell’s Kitchen," "Big Brother 4") and Stewart Morris ("Brainiac," "Million2One")

Topics: Hit Me Baby One More Time |

13 Responses to “Hit Me Baby One More Time – New NBC Reality TV Show Announced”

1. Tommy McCarthy Says:
    May 23rd, 2005 at 10:44 pm

Somebody totally stole this idea from me… I registered it with W.G.A. almost a year ago!!!!!!

2. Rob Says:
    June 2nd, 2005 at 2:27 pm

Flock of Seagulls are gonna win!

3. ger ber Says:
    June 2nd, 2005 at 9:10 pm

Just finished watching, everyone is overweight a good bit, even Tiffany!

4. Joe Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 8:21 am

Tiffany’s “ample” assets were about the only thing worth watching. Loverboy is waaaaaay past their prime and their vocals were strained. Arrested Develepment was a deserving winner even though I never particulary liked their music. Flock of Seaguls crash landed into a dumpster. And the host is TERRIBLE! But I’ll still watch again next week…LOL

5. Li Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 9:46 am

I thought CC and Arrested Development and Tiffany sounded good.
    Loverboy and Flock of Seaguls(Or the lone Seagul) sounded horrible.
    I thought Tiffany looked great. I was just curious if her new fuller figure was natural or if she is pregnant? Does anyone know?

6. Jay Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 10:06 am

The show was entertaining. It was good to see some artists from days gone by. It was tough to listen to half of the songs. The host detracts from the show. Why do some of these past chart toppers subject themselves to this embarrasment? The $20,000 for charity seems a bit low it should be at least $50k.

7. Anonymous Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 11:04 am

THAT WAS THE WORST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN. SOME THINGS SHOULD STAY IN THE PAST.

8. Loly & Byron Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 11:14 am

We thought CC should have won. Tiffany looked great, did she just have a baby. We can’t wait to see Vanilla Ice Ice Baby.

9. Anonymous Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 11:32 am

I watched half way and didn’t want to see anymore. The host SUCKED! Mike Reno should have stayed on his couch with his beer and bag of chips. I was embarrassed for him. CC and Arrested Development were good and so was Tiffany. Is she pregnant?? I’ll probably watch it again just because you always look at the train wreck, but the show itself lacks something I can’t put my finger on…. hmm… Did I mention that the host SUCKED?

10. NEAL Says:
    June 3rd, 2005 at 4:55 pm

I thought Tiffany looked very bad she needed to be just remembered the way she was. She is a pig. Loverboy did real good but they look like Keith Richards on the rebound. CC she needs to stay in church plus buy clothes that fit and What is SPASTIC DEVELOPMENT THE WOMEN LOOKED LIKE SOME SOUL TRAIN FREAK!

11. Marcy Says:
    June 4th, 2005 at 7:02 pm

I felt really old watching the show. I had to watch to see Tiffany. I remember calling in to Orlando’s (then) BJ 105 when she was in town in like 1987 for Disney’s Valentine Heartbeat. She did pretty good on the show but needs to loosen back up and own the stage like she used to. She was great in ’87 and still has it. Just because she’s a mom doesn’t mean she can’t still rock!

12. Anonymous Says:
    June 10th, 2005 at 9:33 am

What is the deal with the audience being 18 years old and younger? Get a fair mix in there so the deserving winner is picked ie: The Knack. Otherwise, this show cracks me up- love it!

13. nizhoni Says:
    June 14th, 2005 at 10:55 pm

I only watched tthe show to see Tiffany and Vanilla Ice…Show was very interesting…luved it….Vanilla Ice turned into a total hottie…

Comments