USA Network and HSN Join Forces for Made in the USA

June 01, 2005 11:04 PM by Joe Blackmon

USA Network and Home Shopping Network (HSN) have joined forces on a new, groundbreaking reality show: Made in the USA, in which America’s undiscovered inventors and entrepreneurs will compete for an unparalleled chance of a lifetime to sell their invention on HSN.

"As we accelerate our efforts in the alternative arena, Made in the USA is the perfect show for us," said USA’s Jeff Wachtel, Executive Vice President Series and Long Form. "It’s fun, it’s aspirational and it speaks to the intelligence and inventiveness of our audience. Teaming with HSN, the electronic retailing powerhouse, really opens the door to making a unique, attention-getting piece of reality entertainment."

"This unique project taps into the entrepreneurial side of all of us," said Marty Nealon, President of HSN U.S. "Coming up with a great product idea is just the beginning. This show will take viewers on a journey with inventor hopefuls as they and their products are put to the test in the real day-to-day activities at our HSN headquarters and soundstages in St. Petersburg, Florida."

Made in the USA is hosted by Todd Newton, perhaps best-known to audiences as the former "Voice of E!" on E! Entertainment Television. Newton has hosted "Coming Attractions" – E!’s weekly half-hour showcase of current film previews, "Talk Soup," "E! NewsLive" and many of E!’s live events, such as red carpet arrivals at the Academy Awards, Emmy Awards, Golden Globes and star-studded movie premieres. Newton is joined by a cast of eclectic characters who will preside over the competition and judge what invention the public will ultimately choose for the opportunity to sell on HSN.

Nolan Bushnell, otherwise known as the "Father of the Video Game Industry" and is best known for inventing "Pong," Atari Corporation and Chuck E. Cheese Pizza Time Theater, will fill one of the judges’ seats. Joy Mangano, multimillionaire inventor of "The Miracle Mop" and industrial designer and cultural shaper Karim Rashid will join Bushnell as the judging troika of Made in the USA.

Made in the USA also will feature guest experts Lonnie Johnson, Robert Verdi, Rachel McCallister and Patti LaBelle. Johnson is a rocket scientist who has made millions with his invention of the popular toy – Supersoaker – and will lend insight into what it takes to launch a successful product. Verdi is the flamboyant and opinionated host of E! television’s Fashion Police and will offer his style critiques to contestants and explain the role it plays in creating a lasting first impression. McCallister is considered a PR guru and teaches the importance of "image making" in pushing a brand. Finally, the internationally-known LaBelle is not only a music icon but a successful celebrity pitch person who knows how to infuse personality into the selling equation.

Made in the USA will be executive produced by Ken Mok, creator and executive producer of UPN’s top-rated reality series America’s Next Top Model. Made in the U.S.A. is television’s newest and most ingenious reality program where America’s inventors and entrepreneurs get the opportunity to turn their dreams and passions in reality.

"Everyone at one point in their life has had an idea or invention that they thought could be the next big thing," said USA’s Libby Hansen, Vice President, Alternative Series and Specials. "This show will give innovators across the country a chance to prove themselves, and their ideas."

Contestants will participate in competitions, facing real-life challenges that inventors deal with in getting their product out to the public. Contestants, and viewers alike, will also get an exclusive behind the scenes look at the HSN empire and the creative and talented HSN employees that facilitate this dream. Each week, products and inventors will be eliminated until the ultimate payoff when one lucky inventor team wins a once-in-a-lifetime contract with HSN.

USA NETWORK
USA Network is cable television’s leading provider of original series and feature movies, sports events, off-net television shows, and blockbuster theatrical films. USA Network is seen in over 88 million U.S. homes. The USA Network Web site is located at www.usanetwork. USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.

HSN
HSN, an operating business of IAC/InterActiveCorp (Nasdaq: IACI), originated the electronic retailing concept in 1977 on a small AM radio station in Florida. The company has since evolved into a global multichannel retailer on TV, where HSN is now the 4th largest cable television network in the U.S.; the Internet, through hsn.com; and catalogs such as Improvements and Home Focus. In 2003, HSN generated worldwide consolidated sales of $2.2 billion, answered 62 million calls and delivered 50 million packages worldwide.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for Made in the USA news.  For other great Made in the USA news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Made in the USA.

Topics: Made in the USA |

9 Responses to “USA Network and HSN Join Forces for Made in the USA”

1. Brooke Miller Says:
    July 17th, 2005 at 1:44 pm

Please send me information on how I could get my invention on USA Network new invention show. I do have a working prototype. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks again!

2. Jill Dotter Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 4:45 pm

Like the comment listed on your web page could you please send me information on how I could get my invention on USA Network new invention show? Prototype is available. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jill Dotter

3. terri newton Says:
    August 22nd, 2005 at 9:12 pm

How do I get my invention on the USA Network? Is it too late for this season’s show? Please let me know.
    Terri Newton

4. Kurt Burkhart Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 7:51 am

After seeing the show, I know my idea is the the top winner. How can I get on the show or is it to late? Please let me know.
    Kurt Burkhart

5. Mary Ann Rhodes Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 5:35 pm

How do I get my invention on the
    USA Network, I Have a prototype
    available.. Thank you for your assistance.

Mary Ann Rhodes

6. Mary Anne Martin Says:
    January 10th, 2006 at 1:36 am

I totally agree with what you’re saying. I wish more people felt this way and took the time to express themselves. Keep up the great work.
    Mary Anne Martin

7. raul carrasco Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 7:40 pm

I HAVE FOOTBALL WORLD CUP GRAPHIC IN 3 DIMENSIONS WITH OPTICAL ILLUSIONS. ALSO I HAVE FOR OTHERS SPORTS

My name is Raul Carrasco
    . I was a Pathologist Doctor,
    since I became deaf, I began to illustrate books and
    magazine, news papers with 3 dimensional graphics to
    do this I developed a technique to make graphics be
    seen in different levels.
    I believe I can bring new illustrations for you.
    I would like to illustrate your newspaper or magazine because I
    can turn any graphic or photography into a 3
    dimensional flat figure, turn any picture or portrait
    into a caricature and more… and send it to you by
    email in a very short period of time.
    It has been proven that three dimensional
    subjective art is very useful in the advertising
    industry being that since people take more time to
    focus on the picture, they tend to remember its
    contents for a longer period of time. Therefore I
    would like to be of your convenience sharing with you
    my talent in this field.

Inside my software I have over 100 thousand graphics
    in 3 dimensions (it is like ” Magic Eye “)
    It is important to see the graphics once they are
    printed, because behind a computer screen is much
    harder to appreciate the optical illusions.
    I propose to you to send me any photo, picture or
    portrait for me to illustrate, and if you wish to give
    me any theme to be used with it. And within a few days
    you will see my work.
    If you are interested please write me back at
    kiko3dimensions@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for your time.
    Sincerely:

Raul Carrasco.

__________________________________________________

I would like to illustrated in 3 dimensions some part of your magazine,
    if you send to me any graphic I will return to you in 3 dimensions
    Thanks again
    Raul

8. Laura DeMarzo Says:
    August 15th, 2007 at 8:27 am

Please send me information on how I could get my invention on USA Network new invention show. I Thank you for your assistance.
    Laura

9. Judee Andrews Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Please send me information on getting my home decorating idea on HSN. Thank you, Judee

Comments