ROCK STAR: INXS – Is Ty Taylor the Early Favorite?

July 12, 2005 11:44 PM by Joe Blackmon

Ty_rockstarROCK STAR: INXS has some very talented performers, but the judges (Dave Navarro and INXS bandmembers) seem to be suffering from Nashville Star disease (where they say everyone is great and are unable to offer any hard-hitting criticism).  The show really needs a Simon Cowell-type judge to spice things up.

While many of the contestants truly are great singers, there are a few who have jumped out with a unique voice and killer stage presence and started to distance themselves from the pack.  Ty Taylor who performed “Heartbreaker” is one of the early favorites to make it far in the competition.  Ty with his Mr. T Mohawk has a memorable look and singing voice that is sure to stand out to voters.  Ty had perhaps the best overall performance of the competition so far.

Jordis Unga is another early favorite.  Jordis is the youngest singer in the competition and many probably underestimated her.  Jordis performed “Heart Shaped Box” and her strong vocals make her a force to be reckoned with.  Jordis also seems to be a sure thing for the late stages of the competition.

Marty Casey who performed “Take Me Out” and Mig Ayesa who peformed “All Day and All of the Night” also seemed to share a special connection with the crowd.  In the early stages of the competition, it is all about having a memorable performance that appeals to the voting viewers, and Marty and Mig were definitely memorable.

Who will be the bottom three on the Wednesday, July 13, 2005 elimination show of ROCK STAR: INXS that airs at 9:30P.M. ET on CBS?  Reality TV Magazine predicts Suzie McNeil, Tara Slone, and Wil Seabrook will occupy the bottom three spots.  Even though Suzie improved it wasn’t outstanding enough to make viewers forget her messing up the lyrics on the premiere show.  Both Tara and Wil’s performances seemed slow and unspectacular in comparison to all the other rocking performances of the night.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

15 Responses to “ROCK STAR: INXS – Is Ty Taylor the Early Favorite?”

1. Debra Says:
    July 13th, 2005 at 3:29 pm

No TY Taylor is not the Early Favorite. There are a lot more talented people on that stage. He is way to struck on himself and thinks he has it wrapped up. I believe, well I know, he’s in for a surprise. He’s not as good as he thinks he is. Won’t get my vote.
    Thanks – Love the Show!!!!!!!!!
    Debra – Arkansas

2. Anonymous Says:
    July 13th, 2005 at 4:47 pm

Ty ROCKS! Definietly one of the early frontrunners!! (Do ya’ll HAVE text messaging in Ar-kansas?)

3. Mark S. Andrew Says:
    July 14th, 2005 at 12:58 am

I know Ty, he’s as cool as he is talented, if I can’t be there in this competition, I’m glad someone of Ty’s (and my) caliber is there to shake up an otherwise pathetic display of amatur talent! Jordis is his only real compitition (she rocks!). I think perhaps a duo of the two would be a unique and fruitful compromise (of the end result) to push Inxs back to the forfront of the charts. It’s not too late to reconsider my video entry which I belive was not seen or considered due to lack of time or inside influence (though I’m not a hater). Good luck Ty!
    Mark S. Andrew (former Center Stage Studio’s owner- where Ty with Dakota Moon were clients).

4. bubba Says:
    July 14th, 2005 at 11:37 am

GET OVER YOURSELF!

5. brianne Says:
    July 15th, 2005 at 9:15 am

I’m actually a little torn because this isn’t like American Idol where someone just wins a record deal. This is taking over for someone who isn’t with us anymore,which,to me,in itself, seems a bit disrespectful that the band would try to replace Michael,especially through a reality show. But,therein lies the dilemma…do they find someone completely different to try not to seem disrespectful;by replacing him without really REPLACING him,or do they follow the “Trend of Heirs” (which seems to have started when Bo Bice and Constantine Maroulis performed “FreeBird” and “Bohemian Rhapsody” on AI and not only won over Skynard and Queen’s fans,but also their surviving members,to the point where it’s almost as if they brought Ronnie and Freddie back to life)? If they go for something different, I would agree Ty(my favorite since the PREVIEWS) or Jordis (I love the whole Ani DiFranco meets Linda Perry thing she has going on. She rocks!),but if they’re looking more for an “heir”, I’d say Mig,JD or Neal. I actually like Neal the best,but he may be more Mick Jagger and the band thinks JD is “possessed”:),so maybe Mig would be the best pick in that area. They didn’t really dig his “Smells Like Teen Spirit”,but the crowd sure did. Plus,he’s from Australia. So I don’t know,I guess those are my 3 picks. I still wish they were just competing for a record deal,though.

6. brianne Says:
    July 15th, 2005 at 9:31 am

Then again, the band did ask JD for an encore of his “California Dreamin’” and he did do his own arrangement of the song, so I guess that’s actually 4 picks. But to continue the “Trend of Heirs”,I’d go for JD or Mig. Ty, Jordis, Neal and some of the others are still pretty awesome,but they’d probably be better on their own. But I don’t know. I guess it’s really up to the voters,and more importantly,the band,so I guess we’ll see.

7. Brianne Says:
    July 16th, 2005 at 9:51 pm

Actually,maybe it’s not really so disrespectful to replace Michael. It would probably be more so to just let him be forgotten. And since they are doing it like this,at least it gives the fans the chance to help choose his replacement, so,hopefully,they can learn to embrace one of these performers the way that the Queen and Skynard fans did Bo and Constantine. Personally,I think i’m still going for Mig because,to me,he seems to be the closest “heir”, he has a good voice and nice stage presence, he’s from Australia,and he’s just so cute:), but like I said,I guess i’ll just have to wait and see.

8. Brianne Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 12:12 am

Actually,I think I’m going more for J.D. now. I don’t know.It’s like Bo and Constantine again. I can’t really choose. MiG is so adorable and I love his voice and his stage presence and i think it’s cool that he did the Queen musical “We Will Rock You” (another stage performer with ties to Queen.Just wonder if he could pull off “Bohemian Rhapsody”,like Constantine did.I’d love to hear that,or at least “We Will Rock You/We Are The champions”,but he definitely has to do a Queen song. I hope INXS think to post one and Mig sneaks in first again and snatches it before anyone else has a chance),plus,he is from Australia. But,on the other hand,J.D. seems the most serious about the whole thing and seems to maybe want it the most(I guess he got tired of living in his car)and he’s not there to get a free ride or party,or whatever,he’s ready to step up to the mic and front this band and he shows that with how he does his own arragements(which got him an ENCORE). He knows what he wants. And he didn’t even want to try on any of the “Rock Star” clothes because they weren’t him. Plus,on his bio thing on Rockstar.msn.com,he said, “Happiness is not found by escaping your fears and pain;it is found by cultivating them and using them to your advantage”, which is pretty deep and poetic,so he’d probably be an awesome songwriter.So it’s definitely a dilemma for me. But while I still think MiG Ayesa is a cutie and Ty and Jordis are Supercool,I honestly think I have to go for J.D. Fortune on this one. He just seems to be what a Rockstar is all about and what INXS is (or at least should be) looking for.So,go J.D!!!

9. Chey Says:
    July 25th, 2005 at 9:45 pm

Okay Ty and Jordis are the ones to beat in this competition.Ty is just AMAZING!he has the best vocals I’ve heard in a long time and well he is unique!Jordis is like a female version of Ty she has a unique look and Incredible vocals.The rest suck and don’t deserve to be on the stage with these two!

10. dianehenderson Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 7:57 am

I am not really crazy for ty. he acts to feminine

11. miker Says:
    August 8th, 2005 at 10:44 pm

I taped the show where Ty sang “Kick” – unreal!! His voice is incredible and so was his stage work. I think he came off as arrogant early on, but some of that was nerves and trying too hard. He gets my vote, with Jordis a close 2nd. Actually, Mig and Marty and JD have shown talent as well – maybe the singers should just pick a few from INXS and start a new band!

12. sarah Says:
    August 10th, 2005 at 12:10 pm

I saw Ty in the Vegas production of “We Will Rock You” last December and he was absolutely awesome. When I saw that he was going to be on Rockstar I knew he would be one of the favorites…he may not be what INXS is looking for in the end (I see them going for Mig most likely), but anyone who doesn’t think Ty is the best vocalist/performer on the show needs to reevaluate their taste in music. And those of you who think Ty comes across as arrogant…it’s because he’s fabulous and he knows it.

13. Omar Says:
    August 15th, 2005 at 7:33 pm

I agree that Mig will probably get it because he has a great voice and great presence with the crowd as well as fitting that INXS feel. I think that out of all of them, Ty has the best voice and best stage presence but don’t think he fits INXS. If they want to change a bit for the times then Ty would be the choice but if they want to stay the same as before then they would go for Mig. JD is great as well, but I think more of a songwriter and a behind the scenes kind of guy. He has changed some songs and done some amazing things with them.

14. Anonymous Says:
    August 16th, 2005 at 4:30 pm

I love Jordis, She is true rocker quality and we all loved her version of David Bowie’s tear jerker. She rocks

15. G.Star Says:
    August 19th, 2005 at 8:37 pm

I would love to hear TY sing every song there is. He is the best.

Comments