Rock Star: INXS – Still Waiting For a Breakout Performance

July 26, 2005 11:40 PM by Joe Blackmon

Rockstar_expressionsConstantine Maroulis had his “Bohemian Rhapsody.”  Bo Bice has his “In a Dream.”  What Rock Star: INXS needs is a breakout performance.  There have been some very good performances on Rock Star: INXS, most notable by Jordis Unga and Ty Taylor.  However, there has not been a single breakout performance to put one singer in the lead as the clear favorite.

Give J.D. Fortune credit in that he took a big risk with “We Are The Champions” in an attempt to set himself apart from the rest of the pack.  J.D. did succeed in setting himself apart, but not in the way he intended.  His failure to deliver on the song showed his limitations as a vocalist and will likely put him in the bottom three for the elimination show.

All of the contestants on Rock Star: INXS are good singers.  There have been no train wreck performances like often occur on American Idol (even though J.D. came pretty close).  But on the other hand, there have been no over-the-top career defining performances either.  Someone on Rock Star: INXS needs to step up and deliver.

It’s hard to say who will get compliments and who will have to sing for their survival on the elimination show.  Mig Ayesa and Ty Taylor gave two of the stronger performances and should be safe.  Even though Jordis Unga dropped a line, the pure power of her voice should keep her safe.

Our prediction is that J.D. Fortune, Heather Luttrell, and Tara Slone will wind up in the bottom three.  J.D. will be safe regardless of how he performs though, because INXS needs him around a little longer to create drama in the house.  It’s very clear by the expression on the faces of the other singers during J.D.’s performance that they obviously do not like him.  The expressions told a mixture of what looked like pure disdain for J.D. and absolute glee over seeing his failure trying to sing “We Are The Champions.”

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

16 Responses to “Rock Star: INXS – Still Waiting For a Breakout Performance”

1. brianne Says:
    July 27th, 2005 at 9:23 pm

If JD could’ve pulled off “We Are The Champions”, that would’ve been a breakout performance,but he bit off more than he could chew and choked. And it’s sad because i love his voice(usually) and his manic/”possessed” stage presence,but I guess he could afford to concentrate a little less on trying to please everyone and a little more on his performances. Then again,ironically, his downfall this week seemed to be that he didn’t believe he could pull it off and doubted himself (which may be what happened to Daphna and Heather). I’ve found that sometimes seemingly cocky people actually don’t have much real confidence,so they tend to to “overcompensate”, or whatever. I hope he could get his s*** together and pull off a breakthrough performance,though,because he almost HAS to now to even have a CHANCE. Especially since the stakes have been raised through the roof.

I can’t believe that Daphna AND Heather are gone. I’m gonna miss them. Heather had so much energy and I loved Daphna’s stage presence;her creepy eye thing and the “Groucho Marx” walk. At least they got to go out together,though. But it must’ve sent a shockwave to the other contestants. The game is ON,now…double or nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised if EVERYONE chokes next week. I hope not,though,because I think Jordis,Ty,and MiG are awesome and Marty’s improving, and at least JD has room to improve (if he did pull off the song,I don’t think he ever could’ve topped it because HOW do you top QUEEN?! I think that’s what happened to Constantine. His BEST performance did him in),and really,I kinda got used to seeing ALL of them,so that’s the bad thing about these shows. And since this isn’t American Idol, there won’t be CDs from the sixth place contestant and even second place means nothing (no Clay or Bo here),so eventually,I’ll have to see all but one go away,maybe forever. I’m glad it’s not up to me,though,because I sure couldn’t choose. Jordis and Ty are the best vocalists, while MiG seems to fit in the best, with the right look and sound,and being from Australia. But I still feel as though maybe JD wants it the most because he was a die-hard fan,who at least claims to have dreamed about auditioning for the band long before the tryouts. And if I understood correctly on the premiere, at one point, he was living in his car,while doing gigs. And if that’s not determination,I don’t know what is, so maybe that’s why he’s so headstrong. But I don’t know. I guess they ALL want it or they wouldn’t be there and I’d like to think they’re all equally deserving. So, may the best man-or woman-win.

PS I still have to agree that the show could use some real Rock Stars like Bo Bice and Constantine Maroulis. Those cats were on the WRONG show!!!

2. brianne Says:
    July 27th, 2005 at 9:50 pm

By the way, I believe that the Queen Tribute CD, “Killer Queen” that Constantine was personally invited by the surviving members to record “Bohemian Rhapsody” on comes out Tuesday,if anyone’s interested. And if anyone hasn’t heard it already, the Pray For The Soul Of Betty CD is AWESOME! No American Idol fluff there; just pure Rock N’ Roll,complete with an Advisory sticker (or perhaps,THAT’s what got him prematurely booted from IDOL). Anyway, one can only hope that WHOEVER wins Rock Star can be as cool as Constantine or HALF as cool as Bo, but they’ve left some pretty big shoes…

3. vicki Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 9:29 am

Actually, the release of Killer Queen was pushed back to Aug. 9. But apparently Constantine’s Bo-Rhap is going to be the lead single, so it’s already had some limited airplay on rock stations. And for those who want to hear it, the track is available for listening (along with segments of the other songs on the CD – sounds like there’s some really good stuff on there) at http://www.hollywoodrecords.com/killerqueen. There’s also a video there that shows Constantine in the studio recording the track.

4. vicki Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 9:30 am

5. vicki Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 9:33 am

Sorry about that. It wasn’t intentional.

6. Leann Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 11:32 am

What RockStar is missing is a performer with the excitment and energy of Constantine Maroulis. When Constantine appeared on American Idol the electricity level was palpable, something that is sorely missing in RockStar. If you want to hear a true Rock Star check out Constantine’s single of Bohemian Rhapsody which is the first to be release off of the Killer Queen CD. It is awsome!

7. Leann Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 11:33 am

What RockStar is missing is a performer with the excitment and energy of Constantine Maroulis. When Constantine appeared on American Idol the electricity level was palpable, something that is sorely missing in RockStar. If you want to hear a true Rock Star check out Constantine’s single of Bohemian Rhapsody which is the first to be release off of the Killer Queen CD. It is awesome!

8. Rori Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 12:14 pm

Sorry to be offtopic, but any mention of Constantine makes me giddy.

I wish all the INXS contestants luck and continued success.

9. Holly Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 8:30 pm

I’m liking J.D. as the winner. He has talent that he’s keeping in reserve. WATC was a stunning trainwreck, but I think it was deliberately engineered by the producers to add drama to the show. That’s what reality shows do.

BTW, I believe Constantine will be a big star, maybe in singing, maybe in acting, or maybe in both. He’s awesome. But I absolutely detest his band’s CD. Those guys are godawful! Is he still with them, or is he going to front a real rock band?

10. brianne Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 10:16 pm

First of all,I actually like Pray For the Soul of Betty,but I do have to agree that it is a bit of a shame for a guy with a voice like Freddie Mercury’s to kind of waste it by screaming ALL the time. I’d love to hear them go more in the direction of Glam/Hair Metal [MUSIC...not FASHION:)] bands, like Queen, early Motley Crue, Skid Row,etc., bouncing back and forth between big Rock Anthems and beautiful power ballads. That way, they could please the AI audience, as well as the die-hard Betty fans. But I’m sure Constantine will most likely have a solo career too, so we’ll see…

Also, I have to say that it’s SO nice to see someone else actually supports JD. I’ve been defending him, so I was afraid that maybe his…odd…. performance made me look crazy:),or something. But,honestly,I didn’t really think it was THAT bad. I mean,the beginning was kinda weird and the super-low voice and strange hand gestures kinda reminded me a bit of Marilyn Manson :). But once he got to the chorus,I felt it was like “Ha!Ha! Gotcha!” because I actually thought he sounded pretty good there. But the thing that really impressed me was that he put a little bit of Freddie into the performance, by doing his trademark bow. Now,if only JD could channel his inner Michael Hutchence.
    Anyway,though,he’s still my pick to win. I mean, I still believe that Jordis and Ty are maybe stronger vocalists and MiG is just such a cutie,who seems to maybe fit in best, but I still believe that JD wants it the most. But again, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

11. Julie Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 12:55 am

Absolutely agree that Jordis, Mig, and Ty are the standouts, but the winner is…Marty. He just seems to fit with INXS.

12. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 1:13 am

It could be possible that there were no breakout performances because there were no breakout songs. I mean, there were some pretty challenging ones, like the Nirvana songs, and “We Are The Champions” COULD’VE been a breakout song, but there was nothing close to “Bohemian Rhapsody” or “In a Dream”. And since they just upped the ante, I think it’s time to break out the big guns. They definitely could use some more Queen songs, like my personal favorites,”The Show Must Go On”(If JD could pull THAT off, he would totally redeem himself;at least to me)and “Who Wants to Live Forever?” (which would probably suit JD better, considering that the beginning of his “WATC” actually reminded me a little of this one,which is supposed to sound kinda painful. Wrong voice, wrong song,perhaps). Or maybe they could have the one that I’m sure EVERYONE can relate to right now…”Under Pressure”:). And I don’t know how you can have a rock show without Power Ballads, so they could try,like, Skid Row’s “18 And Life” or “I Remember You” or Motley Crue’s “Home Sweet Home” or The Scorpions’ “Wind Of Change” or “Still Lovin’ You” (the kind of songs I would’ve LOVED to hear performed by Constantine,but he had to be on the wrong show:( ),etc. Or if they want to go more rock,they could have the ultimate Rock Anthem, “We Will Rock You” (I’m sure JD could manage that one) or something along those lines. But they do definitely need some sort of breakout.

Then again, 3 years of AI taught me that we usually have to wait a while for a breakout performance. I mean, Clay started off sounding like a Broadway singer, but then 4 weeks before the competition was over, he shocked everyone with a moving performance of “Solitaire”,which nearly brought Neil Sedaka to tears when he WROTE the song, and I was still hearing about his Finale performance of “Bridge over Troubled Water” for WEEKS after the show was over. And this year, Constantine went months being dismissed as just the “other rocker” before his “astonishing” “Bohemian Rhapsody” (which not only won over SIMON,but also Brian May). And even with Bo, like I thought he rocked all along, but when he did “In a Dream”,especially A Capella, it was like, “Damn! When did he learn to sing like THAT?!” you know? It just takes a while sometimes and I’m not sure if it just takes time for some people to really find their voice and confidence or if they’re kinda playing “Tortoise and the Hare”, like jogging in a race until everyone else is exhausted and then running past them,straight to the finish line (which would actually be a smart tactic for a serious competitor.It’s always good to be underestimated). But i just hope someone comes out with a breakout soon,though,because it’s kinda bad when a Rock show actually makes AMERICAN IDOL look good:).

13. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 2:16 am

Honestly, I didn’t think JD’s “We Are The Champions” was a total loss. I mean,I actually can’t really blame him for the shaky performance because it was obvious that he was overcome with both emotion over seeing his sister again and nerves over possibly killing a huge song (it’s injured a bit,but I think it’s still alive:))and “slitting his own throat” (I’m not sure which one he got more choked up over). But I think it may have been a good thing,though,because if I remember correctly, at first people said Constantine was cocky and called him a a wannabe and a poseur, which he almost proved when he made the ODD choice of “I Think I Love You”. But on the next results show,even though he was safe,he seemed all, “WHAT was I THINKING?!” And then,2 weeks later,HELLO! “Bohemian Rhapsody”. I think that performance came from fear and desparation:),so maybe that’s what JD needed. Maybe that’s what they ALL needed! Hopefully, the shocking double elimination has them scared and desparate:). We’ll see next week,I guess.

14. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 12:13 pm

I still don’t think anyone can top “Bo-Rhap” or “In A Dream”,though. But again,I didn’t exactly expect those (I feel kinda bad because about a month before Con’s “astonishing” performance,a fan on an AI message board pointed out that he should do a Queen song because he sounded like Freddie, and I was thinking,”He could PROBABLY pull off ‘We Will Rock You’ or ‘We Are The Champions’,but I doubt he could do ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. And then a few weeks later,he did just that,proved me wrong,and won me over),so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. At this stage in the game,I’m sure ANYTHING can happen.

15. zoe Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 9:38 pm

I think one of the best all round singers is Suzie McNeil, she has a great range and she acts in a really professional way.

16. jacob Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 9:41 pm

Iagree with the comment about Suzie,she always looks good and she has a great voice. She always look pleased for the others when they get good comments. How come no one is mentioning her name in all of this.

Comments