Rock Star INXS – Surprise Double Elimination

July 27, 2005 11:11 PM by Joe Blackmon

Daphna_heatherWith less than stellar ratings, is CBS looking to quickly put Rock Star: INXS out of its misery?  Rock Star: INXS holds great potential but has yet to live up to its hype and has failed to find a large audience.  In a review of the most recent performance show, Reality TV Magazine pointed out that no one seemed to be stepping up to the plate and delivering a breakout performance.

Tonight, the INXS band members seemed to agree and sent a bold statement that the contestants better start playing to win.  Dave Navarro started the show by apologizing to Marty Casey for his criticism of his performance of “Lithium”, and INXS chose Marty to give an encore performance.  Marty was the right choice for the encore.  His performance showed both his range and his desire to win.

Heather Luttrell, Daphna Dove, and Jessica Robinson were announced as the three singers in the bottom three in viewer votes.  Everyone was surprised that J.D. Fortune escaped the bottom three, but despite his poor performance of “We Are The Champion”, J.D. has always shown a desire to win, which could be saving him in the viewer votes.

Daphna performed “What You Need”, Heather performed “By My Side”, and Jessica performed “Elegantly Wasted.”  INXS told Jessica that she was safe, but kept both Daphna and Heather on stage.  INXS told them both that neither of them delivered and that neither of them was right for their band.  The other singers gasped as both Daphna and Heather were eliminated.

Whether this was a move designed to help cut short a show that is struggling or if it was meant to send a clear signal to the contestants that the game was on, it was probably the best move that the show could have made at this point.  Hopefully, it will shake the other singers up, and everyone will finally realize they’re in a competition and start playing the game to win.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

16 Responses to “Rock Star INXS – Surprise Double Elimination”

1. christa marshall Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 12:00 am

how in the hell is this show going to have viewers when the tv guide gives the wrong time?? we love the show but its like tonight the guide said 9:30 and so we missed it…tell CBS to get their time right and people will turn in!!!! everyone i talk to wants to see and is excited about the show, but it needs accurate scheduling posted!! with all of the crap and bad music on american idol etc., it is so refreshing to have this show on, and it makes on wonder what the problem is with CBS.
    thanks,
    disgruntled fan

cbs.

2. Shauna Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 7:28 am

I never know when it is on as well. I love the show when I can get to watch it.

3. Anonymous Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 8:24 am

They had the wrong time here last week in the paper as well……………we were a little ticked off…………fortunately we just went accordingy to what was on the site this week (although I believe the paper did get it right this time).

4. Mark Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 10:20 am

Let’s see, it is on at 9:30 Monday, 10:00 Tuesday, 9 Wednesday — Is it any wonder we can’t keep it straight?

Can’t CBS at least make the two half hour shows consistent?

5. Shelby Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 12:12 pm

Agreed that the times are a bit odd, but on another topic, I’m glad Daphna and Heather are gone. The final four standing without a doubt should be: Marty, Mig, Ty and JD (in this order). They are by far the strongest talents and competitors. In my opinion, Marty has the best natural stage presence (reminding us of the dearly departed Michael Hutchence). Mig has a great vocal range and is a great person. Ty is a presence……a force to be reckoned with. JD has a strength with song arrangements, but isn’t a trained musician. He’s talented, but cocky, which in my opinion isn’t necisarily the right mix for INXS.

6. Kathi Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 12:40 pm

I think the final four should be (and in no particular order): Marty, Jordis, Mig and Ty. The other ones are good, but just don’t come close. Ideally, I’d choose Mig or Marty to be the final one standing.

(And I agree re the time changes every night. Keep it consistent and you might just see an increase in viewers).

7. ted Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 1:37 pm

“Reality TV Magazine pointed out that no one seemed to be stepping up to the plate and delivering a breakout performance.”

Well, personally, I think Jordis hits it out of the park each week, but I’m not surprised if few have noticed. The contestants are only on stage for a minute or two — barely enough time to say hello and goodbye, much less score a breakout.

Nevertheless, the show does have problems. Here are two:

1. Inane criticisms.

Too numerous to catalogue, so I’ll just mention one.

From the beginning it was obvious that Ty is one of the top performers. It was also obvious that his stage craft is too studied for rock. Somehow the band failed to notice this at first and consequently they overpraised him. After his third performance, however, they suddenly caught on and proceeded trash everything in his act they had previously praised. This made their criticism seem glib, arbitrary, and totally useless.

Most of their criticisms are like that.

2. Wooden Performers

While at least half the contestants can sing to one degree or another, hardly any of them seem comfortable on stage. Marty, for example, moves about like a slightly spastic C-3PO. I swear when I first saw him I wondered if he’d just come out of traction after a serious skiing accident.

And he’s certainly not the worst. A viewer just tuning in as Jessica takes the stage could be forgiven for thinking they’re watching a lap dancing competition. You can see where she gets it from — Christina Aguilera, Shakira, etc. — but she doesn’t have the goods to pull it off, which makes it just plain embarrassing.

She at least mimics a recognizable trend (slut-rock). Dapha Dove, following no trend that I know of, cranes her head and legs like a drunk stork. Thank God INXS put an stop to it.

The worst, in my opinion, is JD Fortune. For reasons I cannot fathom the band has singled him out for special praise. I don’t think they know what they’re dealing with. This guy is a certifiable loon, and watching him self-destruct on stage is just plain sad, and not at all entertaining.

8. Jefferson Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 3:39 pm

Can someone please, please, please explain to me how JD was not on that stage last night?? His performances and attitude have been awful. You KNOW the other contestants have to be so sick of him, especially Jordis.

I’m glad the band axed the two girls last night, they were both wastes of stage space. My only wish is that Dave Navarro (heretofore i will only acknowledge him as “Mr. Nicey Nice”) would stop giving compliments to everyone that sucks. Dave needs a big time infusion of Simon from AmIdol. How about an actual criticism once in a while, Mr. N N?????

9. brianne Says:
    July 28th, 2005 at 10:57 pm

I’m actually a supporter of JD (I know…I know…),but even I expected him to be in the bottom 3. I was hoping he would be,really. If he’d have been up there,but was safe,when both of the girls went home,maybe it would’ve given him a good kick in the ass and made him care a little less about his image and more about his performances. I mean, I know that he’s not the best vocalist or performer,but he seems to want this more than anyone. He might not go about it the right way, but he does have that desire,almost as though it’s life or death; or like he has everything he owns riding on a single hand of Blackjack,you know? I mean, I actually liked Heather and Daphna and was kinda shocked to see them BOTH go,but I was even more shocked at how unaffected they seemed. And I’m not sure if they were just trying to be gracious or if it was no big deal to them. But,man,I’m gonna hate if/when JD gets booted. That’ll probably be pretty painful to watch;at least for me. Everyone else will probably think it’s funny and I doubt anyone at the mansion will cry over him like they did for Neal. They’d probably just be happy he was gone, which would be even more sad. But,I guess,eventually all but one will disappear. It’s inevitable. And,in the end, the winner will be INXS’ decision,not mine,so I guess I’ll try to be happy whoever wins…

10. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 2:56 am

Maybe JD’s painful(in more ways than one)performance may have actually helped him a bit. I mean,he agreed when he was told that he didn’t offer the song any justice and raised his hand last night when Brooke asked who thought their name was on the “Good-Bye” list, so maybe the humility of it all could’ve deflated his ego a little bit. Plus,I noticed that while the results were read,he had his arm around Brandon,who didn’t seem to mind,so I take it they’re not going to kill each other afterall:). So maybe he needed that. Anyway,I’m honestly not even sure why I like the guy so much. I guess it’s just the whole “underdog” thing. I mean,not to diss Carrie Underwood,but while she probably could’ve gotten a deal anyway,something like winning AI would’ve meant the WORLD to someone like Scott Savol. And that’s kinda how I feel about JD. I mean,I must admit,there are far more talented people in this group, who could easily start their own successful bands. But JD definitely wants to be in THIS band,so I don’t know.

But I guess,in the end,it won’t be who wants it the most,or maybe not even the one who sings the best,but the one who fits in with the band the best;has chemistry,or whatever. Unfortunately,we don’t get to see them perform with members of INXS or even hear them do their songs until they’re in the bottom 3,so it makes it rather difficult to see who has that chemistry. But I can say that when Bo Bice performed with Skynard,he didn’t look like a Reality Show contestant jamming with a legendary band ,he looked like he BELONGED with them. He was their frontman and they weren’t even doing a show trying to find one (if they were,forgetaboutit. He’d have been hired at the AUDITION). THAT’s what INXS needs, so I hope they can find that in whoever they ultimately choose.

11. derkcyborg Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 5:34 am

jd has the right slimy attitude to make it in television and t.v. which is why we are watching him and he’s not watching us…seriously though, if INXS wants to return to the pure days of the SHABOO SHABAH album they’ll make music with jordis who is cool and could probably dig hanging down in oz!

12. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 11:44 am

Jordis is awesome and I have to admit that she is definitely one of-if not the best performer of the bunch; no trainwrecks yet. And though she probably should’ve kept “We Are The Champions”, I’m glad she was able to show vesatility with “Give Me Some Lovin’”. But i guess I’m kind of agreeing with,like, People magazone and such,who say that whoever wins this thing will actually be held back, so maybe that’s why I want JD to win because I’d rather see Jordis, Ty and MiG,especially,to start their own bands with perhaps younger members and more modern music, like maybe they could do better. But to all of the people who were die-hard fans of INXS (I barely even knew them,honestly),I guess making it into this band would actually be the best prize they could imagine, so I can only hope that the band and their fans find the best man-or woman-for the job.

13. brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 12:55 pm

Also, while I didn’t know the band very well, I may have to stick with my original opinion of the show, that it may be a little disrespectful to be doing this show at all because not only would the band be “cashing in” on whoever wins,but also on Michael,in a way. I mean, according to FUSE TV Blog, “Instead of walking off into the sunset as a well remembered, well respected band, INXS has decided to become the latest victim of TV producer Mark Burnett in the upcoming reality show, Rockstar INXS… Yeah,that’s right…the band is looking for a replacement for the deceased Michael Hutchence and decided that a reality show was the best way to go about it. What a better way to celebrate his memory than a cheap promotional stunt? Woo hoo!” and I kinda have to agree with that a little bit. It was nice seeing Bo performing with Skynard (and Constantine doing a faithful tribute to Freddie Mercury),though,so maybe they just wanted the same feeling of having someone kind of step in,like an heir,so to speak,to keep Michael’s legacy alive and carry on for him. And at least I feel that JD is serious about doing that and isn’t there just to use the show to fulfill his own Rockstar fantasy,which is another reason I like him because everyone else’s intentions are still rather unclear to me. But,then again,I guess if anyone wasn’t a fan of the band and wasn’t serious about taking on such a dramatic role,they wouldn’t have even auditioned, so I just hope whoever wins can do the band,fans and Michael proud.

14. Brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 11:48 pm

I think I should clarify my comment earlier about doing better. That’s no offense to the band,or anything, but I just kinda picture some of the people doing different things. I mean,when I really think about it,JD would probably actually be better suited for a Punk(real PUNK,not MTV punk-pop)band because not only does he have the look,with the spiky hair and “Human Being” tattoos,but he also has the attitude(which is actually REQUIRED for that field:)).And Ty reminds me of Lajon Witherspoon from Sevendust,so I’d kind of see him doing rap/nu-metal on Ozzfest,or something. And I feel that all Jordis really needs to back up her powerful voice is an acoustic guitar,like Ani DiFranco back in her younger,angrier days. But,MiG,I can actually really see fronting this band. He has that kind of ’80s thing about him, plus he has a great voice and stage presence and he’s funny and adorable and he’s from Australia, so I guess he’s the one I’d most want to see actually win. But,still,the one I least want to see leave is JD because he wants it too much, so go figure. I guess maybe the best solution would be to skip the elimination shows,but I don’t know. I’d just like to hope that these four are the last four standing, with either JD or MiG winning. But with my luck, I’ll probably lose one at #6 (JD) and one at #2 (MiG),just like with Bo and Constantine. It never fails that my favorites never win, but I’ll try to be happy for whoever does.

15. Brianne Says:
    July 29th, 2005 at 11:51 pm

I just hope I’ll still see the “losers”.

16. brianne Says:
    July 31st, 2005 at 11:38 pm

Though I still kinda like JD, I’m actually not really sure if I could see him in this band or not. He probably would be better suited for something heavier;if not Punk,then definitely the Hardcore/Ozzfest scene because he’d fit right in with them… ATTITUDE and all (Fred Durst,anyone:))? But,still he seems to REALLY want to be in THIS band, so I don’t know. I guess I’ll still support him as long he’s there(since no one else does),but after that, I don’t know WHO I’m rooting for. I mean,first I liked Ty, then Jordis, then MiG, then JD, and now Marty is kinda growing on me,so I don’t know. At least I have a 1 in 5 chance of having one of my favorites win, but that’s also 4 people I have to lose, so that’s the bad part.

But still, I kinda like it like this and I’m actually glad that there haven’t been any breakout performances because it’s par for the course and it’s still really anybody’s game. I mean,on American Idol,you already know who’s going to win as soon as the show starts and they almost have to throw in the surprising eliminations like Constantine just to add some plot twists and suspense because the ending is always so predictable (like a really bad “Whodunit”,where you already know who the killer is 15 minutes into the movie). But this show is pretty unpredictable; JD still being there after running his mouth AND “injuring” (I wouldn’t necessarily say he KILLED it,though. That’s AI tryouts:))a pretty sacred song (I’m just glad it wasn’t “Bohemian Rhapsody” because,even as a supporter,I may still have had to consider that a “sacrelige”:))and then losing TWO contestants at a time. But after that, I guess it’s fair to say that the game is officially ON, so I’m sure things should be pretty INTERESTING (to say the least) from here on out.

Comments