Bruises, Tears, & Controversy on So You Think You Can Dance

August 03, 2005 11:06 PM by Joe Blackmon

Blake_mcgrath

So You Think You Can Dance has that tough American Idol edge to it.  Fifty dancers arrive in Hollywood, and they are quickly split into five groups and put to the test in order to choose the top 24 dancers.  The choreographers are demanding and relentless.  They don’t hesitate to dish out criticism both professional and personal.

One of the first lessons the dancers learn is about personal hygiene, as they are told to wash their hands and brush their teeth.  Another dancer comes under fire because one of the choreographers doesn’t like his Mohawk.

The initial focus is primarily on the dancers that can’t cut it.  The dancers will talk about how good they are why the choreographers cut in to talk about how bad they are.  It’s not long before the first dancer calls it quits.  Anthony Foster announces he’s leaving, which infuriates producer Nigel Lythgoe.  Nigel berates Anthony telling him, “The one thing about being a dancer is you can never give up.  I think you’ve let yourself down to be frank.  Get him on the next flight out of here.”

The dancers compare bruises after the routines.  During one routine, several dancers become emotional and break down into tears.  It is hinted that two dancers might even be faking injury as an excuse for not being able to cut it with some of the choreography.  Jessica Schaeffer complains about a hip injury while trying to learn Dan’s choreography, but her hip doesn’t seem to bother her when she follows it up with one of her own two and a half minute solo freestyles.  Burgendy Kirtz complains of a pulled hamstring during Dan’s choreography but does a split during her freestyle.

Just like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance is shaping up to be controversial.  The first big controversy seems to be swirling around Blake McGrath.  One of the dancers discovers a magazine in the dance studio that contains an article about Blake’s professional dance experience.  (Now, we wonder who put that magazine in the dance studio, perhaps one of the producers?)  This article of course creates arguments among the dancers over if someone with so much professional experience should be in the competition.  To make matters worse, Blake brings his little dog to the hotel, which infuriates his roommate, Allan Frias.

Blake’s problems aren’t limited to skirmishes with the other dancers.  Choreographer Dan Karaty immediately has problems with Blake’s cocky attitude.  Dan warns Blake about being too cocky during rehearsal.  Blake then shoots off to Lauren Sanchez saying, “Dan thinks that I was cocky in class and really it’s just confidence.  You know on one hand, I probably think that he’s just a little bit jealous, because to me, he’s not that good.”   A preview of next weeks show has Dan pointing out that they review the tapes and asking Blake how smart it was to say something like that about him, when he’s a judge in the competition.  Now, all So You think You Can Dance needs is for The Smoking Gun to start revealing previous arrest records for the contestants.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for So You Think You Can Dance news.  For other great So You Think You Can Dance news, please also check out SirLinksALot: So You Think You Can Dance.

Topics: So You Think You Can Dance |

14 Responses to “Bruises, Tears, & Controversy on So You Think You Can Dance”

1. tvfan Says:
    August 5th, 2005 at 11:04 pm

Blake certainly is becoming a huge character on the show. I mean, first he’s cocky in the dance class, then he’s found out about being a pro dancer, then he brings his dog and has no problem with his roommate stepping on dog droppings, and THEN he is caught in an emotional breakdown while showing off in a “beautiful” freestyle. First he infuriates competitors, then he infuriates judges – and then he has them all in tears. What a guy.

2. xo_blake_xo Says:
    August 31st, 2005 at 8:46 pm

I LOVE U BLAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Hiphopdancer Says:
    September 13th, 2005 at 4:16 am

I think Snow is one of the best female dancer although she is not my favorite. And i really regret that she is gone. I have no doubt that she is the best at salsa, Latin and ballroom among the women as Artum is among the male dancers. I dont like Blake, i think that he is a good performer but it was unfair that he danced the lyric routines
    again and again. The samba routine he danced was not samba at all. I didn’t see any basic Samba moves. The samba he danced was truly horrible. I think that he got more credits than he deserved. Most of the judges (especially Mia Micheals and the 2 hiphop instructors) do not know anything about ballroom/salsa dancing; the comments the made about ballroom/salsa technique are really stupid. Ryan is unique, but Artum and Nick are the best among the men. Nick has great technique. I really really regret that we didn’t see Artum dancing with Snow because then America would see what partnering is all about.

My advice is: Judges ! shut up if you dont know what u are talking about. Dont let Blake dance Lyrics again and again. That is annoying !!!

Just me:
    Hiphop & Latin dancer.

4. Hiphopdancer Says:
    September 13th, 2005 at 4:18 am

again and again. The samba routine he danced was not samba at all. I didn’t see any basic Samba moves. The samba he danced was truly horrible. I think that he got more credits than he deserved. Most of the judges (especially Mia Micheals and the 2 hiphop instructors) do not know anything about ballroom/salsa dancing; the comments the made about ballroom/salsa technique are quite ..@@@.. Ryan is unique, but Artum and Nick are the best among the men. Nick has great technique. I really really regret that we didn’t see Artum dancing with Snow because then America would see what partnering is all about.

Just me:
    Hiphop & Latin dancer.

5. Taylor Says:
    September 18th, 2005 at 5:55 pm

OMG Blake is the hottest guy on the show and the best dancer he is tottaly gonna win! and does anybody know if hes really gay?! Ive heard that a lot but i just cant come to accept it hes just so hott!

6. Chrissy Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 3:02 pm

I watched my first show last night (Sept.21, 2005) and I instantly was drawn to Blake. I love his dancing, I didn’t want him to stop. Can we get his solo performances (end of show) online in a d/l somewhere? Go Blake! Gay or not, the boy can dance!

7. iluv2dance Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 8:19 am

I believe that Nick should be the last one standing and the final winner overall, because he has proved that he can dance to anything that is thrown at him. From disco, lyrical, salsa, quick step, latin, ballroom to even HIP HOP DANCING…Nick is by far the best performer that can out perform any dancer remaining. That goes for Melodie too. That’s why there should have been 2 winners 1 for the girls and 1 for the guys!!

8. Honey Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 8:27 am

BLAKE IS SO HOTTTTTT!!!!!ALTHOUGH HE GOT VOTED OUT, HE WILL STILL GO BACK TO PRO DANCING WITH THE CELEBS. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!!
    IF U EVER GET A CHANCE TO READ THIS BLAKE…U ARE SO HOTTTT AND I LOVE U!!!!! KEEP YOUR CONFIDENCE UP THERE!!!

9. Nhyla Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 11:12 am

BLAKE! BLAKE! BLAKE! U r so hotttt!!!
    I especially loved watching him dance with his shirt OFF!!! WOWOWOWOW!!!!

10. amber Says:
    October 7th, 2005 at 9:21 am

O yeah! Right on Blake is hot! But i think Melody should have one!!! Blake i think personally should have been in top four instead of Jamille. I am kind of sick of his hip-hop. Ballroom dancing for everyone (especially Blake sooooo hot) looks great and i think they should do it more often!

I don’t Think Blake is Gay either!

No matter what he is sexy!

11. amber Says:
    October 7th, 2005 at 9:22 am

I don’t Think Blake is Gay either!

No matter what he is sexy!

12. LostStooge100 Says:
    October 15th, 2005 at 1:51 pm

Blake and Nick in a dance off. They upstaged anyone else who was on stage with them. The producers missed the boat buy not having a dance off between them. Maybe the could open next seasons show with it.

13. Clayton Says:
    October 15th, 2005 at 4:06 pm

Blake would be my hero. He`s inspired me to join in quite a few dance classes. If i ever move to LA when I grad hopefully I`ll meet him and he`ll teach me some of his moves.

14. www.lake-shore.co.uk Says: