Surprising Bottom Three on Rock Star: INXS

August 03, 2005 11:13 PM by Joe Blackmon

Tara_sloneIt probably couldn’t be called a shocker, but there were some surprises in the bottom three on Rock Star: INXS.  Brandon Calhoun, Ty Taylor, and Tara Slone were the bottom three vote-getters in viewer voting.  Brandon had actually received extensive praise from Dave Navarro and INXS, and it was a surprise that he landed in the bottom three.

Ty Taylor was also somewhat of a surprise.  His last performance had easily been his worst performance of the competition, but it was surprising that he hadn’t built up enough of a fan base in his earlier performances to keep him safe.  It just goes to show that on reality shows with viewers voting, no one is ever safe.  On the other hand, it was not a surprise that Tara Slone was in the bottom three as she has been there a couple times before already.

Also, not a surprise, Jordis Unga was selected for the encore performance.  Her encore of “The Man Who Sold The World” was just as good the second time around.  It was definitely one of the best if not the best performance of the competition so far.

For the singing for survival part of the show, Brandon performs “Devil Inside”, Tara performs “Beautiful Girl”, and Ty performs “Kick.”  Ty rocks the stage and receives a standing ovation.  Brandon and Tara give mediocre performances, and after wards look to be wondering if INXS might send them both home.  However, INXS decides to keep Brandon and eliminates just Tara Slone from the competition.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

10 Responses to “Surprising Bottom Three on Rock Star: INXS”

1. Mak Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 8:49 am

Why is Brandon a surprise? He is a terrible singer and his demeanor, both onstage and off, is ridiculous. He looks like a bum and is better off going back to his cabin in the woods. Quite franky, I think he butchered Devil Inside last night and I am convinced they wanted to send him home as well but held off. I guarantee ol Davy Crocket will be back in the bottom 3 next week as well and his days are certainly numbered

2. chief Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 9:38 am

Jordis rules. I would not be amiss to say that I think that she is probably the most well rounded singer there.

JD is a spoiled brat who will beg borrow and try to sweet talk everyone into seeing things his way. I thought he should have gone down after his so called ‘break down’ when he saw his sister.They way he whined about we are the champions…pitiful. We all know…he can’t hit the high notes.

Brandon..sloppy and loses pace on his song. He is focusing so much on trying to hit the notes that he can’t keep time.

The blondes? Please….my prediction, one of the two blondes goes down next show. Sex appeal is good, but how many times can you scrape by having to sing an INXS song to get out of the hole?

Mig could do the job. Right attitude right vocals.

The blonde kid…if he would just quit with the robotic crap and keep both hands on the microphone…lol.He can sing the songs. Was impressed with his Nirvana song.

Ty would do well if they would give him a chance.Quit harping on his stage comfort.

Jordis….IMO…probably the next lead singer for INXS.

3. jay Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 11:09 am

A) Suzie is amazing and under-rated
    B) when JD is on he is great
    C) I cant even look at Ty’s hair anymore
    D)Deanna needs to go, along with Brandon Calhoon

4. Amber Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 2:28 pm

All I can say is Jordis is gonna win.

5. craig Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 11:09 pm

Mak’s posting is spot on. Brandon should have been booted along with Tara. Somebody has to get into Mark Burnett’s ear. Like most of you, I don’t want to see this show canceled!
    Surely, they’re testing with focus groups. I hope the shows producing staff are getting a few suggestions that might draw a bigger audience.
    Here are a few of mine:
    1) Brooke is supposedly the emcee, but she lacks credibility. She’s gorgeous, but not a spokesperson that ties it all together.

2) Let us hear or at least subtitle the comments the INXS members are making during performances. And, limit Dave’s “Abdul” from the heart(?) blah..blah. Tell the band to get real with these contestants. Be diplomatic if you want, but tell the performer the truth. Think as if you’re one of us in TV land watching, and what are we saying 30 seconds into a bad recital? TELL THEM WHAT WE (or most unbiased observers)ARE THINKING. Hell, let the band members argue a bit about their various opinions. It just seems Dave hogs too much of the limited post-performance feedback time with his crap…and HE’S NOT a band member that will say yeah or nay in the end?
    Whether you like it or not, people like and hate someone like Simon Cowell. He’s not P.C. and tells it like it is.

3) Got to…I mean got to…showcase the obvious stars like Jordis, Mig, Marty (maybe a toned down ‘strike a pose’ Ty with decent hair) and characters like J.D. How about two songs from these budding stars? One they’ve planned for, then on the spot an INXS song. Why just the bottom three? I love Jordis, but I don’t know if she can sing INXS songs? Mig, on the other hand, well…the guy’s amazing.

Let’s just hope CBS doesn’t just quit on the show midway. Burnett should threaten CBS with his clout not to even think about it. I’m sure another network would love to have Survivor, et al.

6. brianne Says:
    August 4th, 2005 at 11:53 pm

I am a little surprised by the results. I thought the Bottom 3 would be Tara, Suzie, and either Deanna or Jessica(though I have to say that both of them did sing for their lives:)). I really didn’t expect Ty to be there,though,because even though his performance was a bit shaky, I thought he did pretty fairly,considering it’s a difficult song that he’s never heard before.Plus,I thought he was one of the early favorites??? And I’m actually a little surprised about Brandon too because I thought he delivered his best vocal yet with “If You Could Only See” and it was definitely better than the shaky “Tempted”, so I find it a bit odd that he was safe last week,but not this week. But then again,he started off as the straight up Southern Rocker type(ALMOST like Bo Bice),but then decided to try the stage theatrics like JD and Marty are known for, so maybe what one works for some doesn’t work for everyone, or he threw his fans off because they liked the way he was. I don’t know. I was definitely more shocked by TY,though,but I honestly wasn’t so much about Tara. And I’m not sure how much weight predictions have because this show is FAR more unpredictable than AI (where the winner is obvious from the beginning and all the other poor schmucks seem to just be wasting their time,pretending they actually have a chance),but I predict that the next to go will be (in no particular order) Deanna,Suzie,Jessica and Brandon, leaving the top 5 as (also in no particular order) JD,MiG,Jordis,Marty and Ty. At least this is what I WANT,anyway. But even if it did come down to those 5 ,that would make for dangerous territory because they’re all good and I like all of them. I’d personally love to see the Finale come down to JD and MiG,though,because not only would it almost make up for missing the “Bo/Constantine Finale” that SHOULD’VE been (I’m STILL not over that),but it would be kinda funny to have another Queen song–by MiG– up against JD doing something from The King; just for Royalty humor:). Jordis will most likely win,though,because she seems to be the “Carrie Underwood” (cooler,though)of the bunch. And it’s not that I have anything against her,or anything, because she’s AWESOME and reminds of my Idol,Ani DiFranco,and might actually be too good for this band (I’d personally rather see her solo,to be honest), but after 4 straight years of very predictable winners on AI, I’d like to see something go to the Clay Aikens and Bo Bices of the world,for ONCE,you know? After the last season, I actually thought it would be cool if it came down to Scott and Carrie and SCOTT won, just to have BOTH of them (and everyone else)in total shock. And at least it would’ve really meant something to someone like Scott, like it seems this would to JD (though I guess I can’t say it didn’t to Carrie and wouldn’t to Jordis). But I don’t know. I guess the best man–or woman–will win and I’ll try to be happy with how ever this ends; however predictable or unpredictable that ending is…

7. brianne Says:
    August 5th, 2005 at 12:19 am

Oh,and by the way,I have to say I like how they do the Eliminations on here, by letting us “pick” the Bottom 3 and then taking it from there. They should really consider trying that on AI, so the judges actually do something worthwhile:) and there wouldn’t be any more shockers like Constantine getting booted 2 weeks after “Bohemian Rhapsody” (if he did that song on here, JD would probably feel a little stupid:),but at least Con would’ve lasted longer than SIXTH PLACE!!!).

Anyway, I agree it would be a good idea to have EVERYONE sing INXS songs,really. Because unless they’re singing their songs and playing with some of their members,it’s kinda hard to tell who’d actually fit in with THIS band; as opposed to just being in A band or solo,or whatever,you know? I’m waiting to see that chemistry that Bo Bice had with Lynyrd Skynyrd(I still say that’s what inspired this show:)),where it just looked like he BELONGED there because, to me,that’s what it should be about.

8. Erix Says:
    August 16th, 2005 at 3:58 pm

Surprising is that JD after that embarassing bizarre attempt to “sing” Queen’s “We are the Champions” didn’t hit the bottom 3!!! He must have an army of sisters and friends or relatives voting over and over all night long. I mean common!! I’ve seen drunk amateur guys do a better job on that song in a karaoke bar. I can’t imagine anyone on his 5 senses taking the time to vote for that!

As for Tara I agree with the old man that eliminated her by saying she’s definitely not right for INXS, she’s WAY too good for that 80′s dated and aging band that has been as dead as Hutchence for close to 10 years now.

Mig, Jordis, and Ty will very likely be succesful with or without INXS so the band should feel immensly lucky to have any of them to front them.

9. viewer Says:
    August 20th, 2005 at 4:03 pm

I have read past comments and they usually say something about the top three and no matter what MiG is always involved with them soooooo no matter what MiG will be in hthe top!

10. Joydrop Fan Says:
    February 1st, 2006 at 7:56 pm

I didn’t really watch the show…but TARA SLONE KICKS ALL YOUR GAY ASSES!!!

Comments