Rock Star INXS – The Self-Destruction Of Jordis Unga

September 07, 2005 11:04 PM by Joe Blackmon

Jordis_eliminatedBrooke Burke asks the rock singers who they think the viewers selected for the encore.  Both J.D. Fortune and Marty Casey raise their hands, and Brooke reveals that it did come down to those two, but J.D. won out in the end.  Dave Navarro interrupts to say that there will be two encores.  The first encore is all the rock singers, INXS, and even Dave singing the new INXS song “Us.”  The second encore is J.D. Fortune singing his original song “Pretty Vegas.”

Brooke announces the results of the early voting which had Jordis, MiG, and J.D. in the bottom three, but the final voting results put Jordis, Suzie, and J.D. in the bottom three.  Jordis performs “Need You Tonight,” Suzie performs “Never Tear Us Apart,” and J.D. performs “Mystify.”

If you has asked us three weeks ago who would be the last woman standing on Rock Star INXS, we would have said Jordis Unga without a doubt.  Three weeks ago, Jordis Unga lit up the stage with a show-stealing performance of “Knocking On Heaven’s Door.”  The performance inspired Dave Navarro to say “It is such an honor to be a member of this planet that gets to watch a star being born.”  However, Jordis has had one of the fastest falls in the history of musical singing competitions.

The first hint of trouble came two weeks ago, when Jordis butchered a performance of “Dream On.”  At first, we thought it was just a rare off night, and she seemed to rebound to a degree the next week.  However, this week, Jordis might as well have been holding up a sign saying “Please, please, kick me off the show.”

Whether Jordis just decided that she wanted a solo career or she suddenly got an unbelievable case of stage fright, something happened that led Jordis Unga to completely self-destruct.  She couldn’t handle the pressure of a photo shoot, which she had to know would send up a red flag for INXS.  She was uninspiring singing “We Are The Champions” and “Try Not” during the performance show.  And she came across as bored singing “Need You Tonight” during the elimination show.

When INXS asked her if she felt like she was the right person for their band, the best reply Jordis could muster was “I hope so.  I want to stay.”  It was no surprise that INXS wound up telling Jordis that “you’re just not right for out band.”

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

55 Responses to “Rock Star INXS – The Self-Destruction Of Jordis Unga”

1. Michael Says:
    September 7th, 2005 at 11:29 pm

Ahhh, Jordis Jordis Jordis. You probably have the best voice I’ve ever heard…in a one octive range. I actually picked you for my pool because of your voice. What I didn’t see, however, was your lack of stage experience and singing range. If you could just sit on a chair and sing, you could win any contest. I wish you were on American Idol…

2. David Says:
    September 7th, 2005 at 11:36 pm

Finally! I was wondering when people would realise the huge mistake Jordis would have been for INXS. Send her back to American Idol or to Whitney Houston school. Oh, she can sing OK, she just can’t do anything with a song that’s not right in her range.

3. Anonymous Says:
    September 7th, 2005 at 11:56 pm

If you were to pick a winner half way through the competition then Jordis was clearly the choice. She was on top and could do no wrong… pretty hard to improve on perfection… and up to at least half way though the shows they badn mambers and Dave had nothing but rave reviews for Jordis.. while EVERYONE else was told things they needed to work on to improve their chances… they gave no direction to Jordis in that way.. as she weekly blew them away! I’d like to find out later that she got a better offer from somewhere else and wasn’t giving it an all out effort because of that, but i fear that it was the process and the totally incompetent way INXS band members and Dave handled her that shook her confidence in being herself and in just continuing to sing the way she did for the first half of the shows. You can’t improve on perfection and when you try to this is the result you get!

4. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:00 am

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP-O-LA!
    I JD`s F`n song stuck in my head, Jordis gets sent home, and Suzie`s still a dumb blonde ditz!
    DAMMIT!

5. Bubbles Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:00 am

Mig is still the only one NOT to have EVER been in the bottom three!!

Go you good thing ( And go the Swannies!!)

6. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:10 am

Yep. MiG is the only one I`m rooting for now. The rest seem as fake as Brooke`s boobs.

7. Jillian Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:26 am

who the heck were in the bottom three besides Jordis?? It was cut off on West Coast after 32 mins!

8. Mushookie Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 1:00 am

Miggy makes me proud to be Australian. Go Mig!

I loved him in the Ferals too haha…I used to watch it everyday when i was younger…it was like the show of my childhood.

9. Too Old Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 1:14 am

Gosh, I guess INXS and the Rock Star audience just don’t like Pacific Islanders either. I mean, it’s clear: how many Pacific Islanders head up major rock bands in this world? It’s a conspiracy! When the two Canadians go I’ll be confirmed in my scientifically proven view that only an Ozzie can win this. Go MiG. The ballad he ‘wrote’ was hilariously bad. His friend must be turning in the grave. To imply, in his comments afterward, that it somehow commemorated Hutchens’ death as well…too much!

10. Angel Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 2:22 am

JORDIS, YOU WANTED OUT AND NOW YOUR OUT!
    YOU WASTED TIME THAT SOMEONE ELSE COULD HAVE USED, ALL YOU WANTED WAS THE EXPOSER.

11. naomi Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 2:25 am

Stop with the racism bullshit! Jordis got the boot because she made it clear she didn’t want to front a bunch of old guys (who I lve by the way) with her attitude. This competition was just a way to be heard and noticed to move on to other things. She is too good for American Idol too.

I want JD to win. I love Mig but it would look bad if Mig wins!

12. Too Old Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 2:32 am

Hi Naomi. Okay. I will stop the ‘racism bullshit’ when you stop pretending you have a very underdeveloped sense of irony and sarcasm. Let me unpack it for you: I was merely poking fun at hypersensitive Ty, who, by way of thanking his gracious hosts, implied that racism was involved in his departure. Get it? You see, I really like Jordis. She has a lovely voice. Now JD….I hope that arrogant, pill-popping Canadian wanker slips on his next birthday cake and breaks his neck!

13. naomi Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 2:51 am

Too Old….Hi

I wasn’t actually talking to you when I said stop this Racism bullshit! Have you read the previous comments before ours? They all think ty and Jordis got booted for racism…. I think people throw that word around too much!

JD is a wanker I will agree!But If Mig win then every will say that its only because he is Australian. Who do you want to win?

14. Too Old Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 3:18 am

Hi again Naomi. Oops. My oversight. Apols. Yes, I agree that everyone is too sensitive about race. Ty sang well, but made clear with his comments that he lacked maturity. Mig can sing, but he’s a bit too much the heart throb. Marty can’t sing well enough, although he does scream rather well. I enjoy watching JD, but suspect his twitchings would rather annoy the ‘old folks’ that make up the rest of the band. So that leaves Suzie. I quite like her. Great singer, fun personality, and she doesn’t give up. All she needs is a bit more edge.

15. naomi Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 3:53 am

Thanks too old

Good answer!

Have a good night! (Night in Aust)

Have a good night everyone!

16. sam 19 Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 4:16 am

dang u inxs 4 booting out jordis! from the get go twas obvious dat jordis, mig and marty wer a cut above the rest. admittedly jordis sort of lost her touch d past 2 shows but so did jd. and to keep som1 as subpar as suzie! geesh! so what if she sang iconic songs like bohemian rhap n start me up? she still no rockstar. jordis had 7 wks of GREAT performances 2 of bad, suzie had 7 mediocre ones and 2 not-so-bad ones, and you giv jordis d axe. and really when they say that suzie’s the one who has grown the most (which gets said alot on the show) it just means dat she sucked early on the show and dat she doesnt suck as much now. and for the record the only reason jd is kept alive is becoz of hs legions of bad-boy crazed middle-aged female fans.

17. ted Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 7:22 am

Jordis self-destructed all right, but I can’t help wondering if the “reality” aspect of the show did her in. A shy, self-conscious person was never going to thrive under those circumstances. Kudos to her for toughing it out as long as she did.

There’s no question the reality show spotlight is great publicity for INXS — but it also just cost them. They just released the show’s biggest star because they ground her down with reality show hokum.

18. Mark Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 9:12 am

I got cut off from the show after the first half, but in reading the recaps, I found it interesting that the band protected Suzie by having her sing the same INXS song they had her sing the first week of the competition. She nailed it then so there was no reason to believe that she wouldn’t again. She may have a strong voice, but I can’t get past her obnoxious personality.

19. Carrie Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 10:32 am

I’m rooting for Marty. I think he’s the best performer/ songwriter of the bunch. I love Mig but let’s face it his songs stink. He is more suited to be the lead singer of Survivor or Night Ranger, and I don’t mean that negatively, he’s just not right for INXS. And I don’t care if JD is a bit of a wanker. So what? He’s a little odd. He’s not the anti-christ. At least he can write a good tune and work the stage. I’d rather see him win over Suzie whose vocal prowess is way overrated, and who just doesn’t seem tough enough to front a rock bank.

20. laura Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 11:12 am

what happend to the show after 30 min. why did it get cut off??

21. Jordis Unga Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:34 pm

For those of you who have a problem with my getting exposure on this show, I say deal with it. I got the exposure and that’s all that counts. I do plan to do a record and tour and already have a deal. Did you really think I’d end up playing with men old enough to be my dad? There was no reason for me to stick around any longer, as I had accomplished what I set out to do. It’s a free country and you’d do the same if you had the chance. For those of you who supported me, I can’t thank you enough & will see you very soon. The rest of you can piss off.

Jordis

22. mastershart Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:35 pm

you all crack me up! Jordis, a friend of my son’s, is a tremendous rocker, and although was clearly from the start the best choice, also probably never in her life would aspire to front a band like inxs. It was a blast watching someone u know up there singing her future into reality!
    whtever comes from it, she will shine without a doubt.

23. Brendan Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 12:57 pm

Jordis deserved the boot because she basically quit two weeks ago. Not to mention she announced how camera shy she is, which didn’t sit well with the band. Best of luck to Jordis. She is a phenomenal talent.

24. Kristie Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 1:18 pm

I thought Jordis had a wonderful voice, but I thought I must have been missing something with all the rave reviews she received. She had virtually no stage presence and no “performance” ability. She sang her song well, but gave nothing else. J.D. should be next to go…I just can’t stand his arrogance. I actually think Marty would fit best with INXS.

25. J. Greenberg Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 1:46 pm

Are we not sick of J.D. manipulating the group and sticking his crotch at the women in the audience and babbling in the microphone? Does he actually have any talent other than causing trouble and strutting while taking off clothes? Throw him off.

26. dick Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 3:46 pm

JD may seem a little strange but with fine tuning he will shine he is already the best Marty acts like he went to some tired over done stereotypical rock school.You all miss the point JD he is the star looks,style voice you know it and he knows it

27. Kristie Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 5:01 pm

this comment is to J. Greenburg: your remark of “Marty acts like he went to some tired over done stereotypical rock school” is quite funny. Have you taken a look at INXS as a group lately? Even Jordis thinks they are old!

28. sharon Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 5:03 pm

This will indeed be a very exciting finish to a very entertaining show. Personally, JD’s personality is not for INXS. I like Marty, Mig is definitely growing to be a favorite and whereas Suzie was a slow start, she is now a great finisher. Too bad Jordis went in the other direction.

My prediction….Mig

29. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 5:33 pm

Hey J. Greenberg,
    Ditto. I`m so F`n sick of JD. He`s completely discusting! Of course, INXS is just a bunch of old farts who are too dumb to realize that JD is just gonna run them into the ground.

And why is Suzie still around? She`s boring. Sure she sang Bo Rap well, but it`s not just about singing. She`s an idiot and should go home.

Also, I live on the west coast and it didn`t go out me… Weird. Anyway, the bottom three were: Jordis, Suzie(hate her), and JD (hate him more). And Marty almost got the encore, but they gave it to JD instead. Dam you, you shaved monkey! The encore belonged to Marty- even if his song was slightly creepy.

30. kate Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 6:56 pm

why hasnt anyone mentioned the incredible voice of Suzie?

31. Elle Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 7:16 pm

I think that INXS is going to regret kicking off Jordis. I don’t think they took into consideration that, yes, Jordis is young and inexperienced but she by far had the best voice of all of the competitors but her performance was affected by the competition aspect because she felt nervous and intimidated by her fellow house mates. What they don’t realise is that now Jordis is out of this highly stressful competition she is going back to the top. You made a wrong choice INXS.

32. Koosh Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 9:14 pm

Hey freakgrrrrrl, Go Swannies indeed.

Go Marty I say for INXS :)

33. Too Old Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 10:28 pm

Why didn’t the band attempt to steer someone a little older into the finals? Given all the ‘old fart’ comments in this stream, it seems they’re heading for an incongruous match. Also, given all the old-fart references, it seems odd that many of you seem most impressed with my Grandma’s choices. JD is the only one with guts enough to kick against the pricks.

34. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 8th, 2005 at 11:37 pm

JD doesn`t have guts. Whenever he actually decides to do a hard song, he re-arranges it so all the hard notes aren`t there.

35. Mark Says:
    September 9th, 2005 at 12:51 am

I probably will stop watching this show now that Jordis is gone and I was a big fan from the beginning. I’m not at all saying I wanted Jordis to win. I don’t think she fits them well at all, but the rest of them are SO boring. The only one I can stand at the moment is Marty. MiG is bland and forgettable although he seems like a GREAT and LIKEABLE guy.

As for buying the next INXS CD. Uh, no thanks. But Ill get Jordis’ first one. She rocked!

36. Linda Says:
    September 9th, 2005 at 10:06 am

Speaking as an “old fart” myself, I hope JD gets the ax next, he is an arrogant ass, my vote is for Marty..always has been..he is awesome, can’t get his Trees song out of my head.

37. Kristie Says:
    September 9th, 2005 at 11:31 am

I agree with everyone that Jordis had a great voice and wouldn’t fit well with INXS. But I don’t think the bank actually kicked her off. Based on her comment the other day, she didn’t want to be there. She just wanted the exposure. So, I think she wanted to walk away by the comments she made that she was “stumbling” “camera shy”, etc. I think it might have been her way to get out before she won.

38. Belinha23 Says:
    September 9th, 2005 at 4:54 pm

Hey there everyone who claims that INXS are a bunch of old farts, why are you watching the show? I personally am watching and enjoying the great talent on stage. Whether they are from Canada, the U.S., or Australia does not matter much to this proud Canadian. The final 5 are extremely talented in their own way. We all have favourites but lets not be nasty about the ones that do not appeal to you. They truly are talented people. Personally I like Marty, JD, and Suzie because they are entertaining and because they want to win!

39. Stan Says:
    September 10th, 2005 at 11:46 am

Suzie’s sucks, she should be the one to go home instead of Jordis. She should not even be a contestant in this rocker inxs thing, because she’s truly sucks, her performance is so-so, has a mediocre voice, and she’s best in CRYING and WHINING (well, just watch how many times she cried, and her cutesy act is just so annoying (also BITCHY) and makes me wanna puke). INXS please send her home otherwise i’ll not watch the show anymore.
    IMO, Jordis’ the best and i don’t think she was meant to be for INXS (they do not deserve her, not the other way around). She has the most beautiful voice among the rest. While many females are voting for marty because of her looks, i (and many other of her fans) voted for her because of her talent.
    GO JORDIS! I THINK YOU’LL BE MORE SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT THAT CRAPPY BAND (INXS)! I WISH U THE BEST OF LUCK WITH UR CAREER!

40. naomi Says:
    September 10th, 2005 at 4:25 pm

For those that are too young to remember, but INXS was one of the biggest bands in the late eighties and early ninties, they had number one all over the western world including the US. They are great musicians and deserve a second chance.

Just because everyone thinks that Jordis is not was not right for the Band (I Agree), doesn’t means that she is too good for them! she is 23 years old, they know alot more about music than she does!

Whovever said that INXS wasn’t qualified to judge songs that have been performed in this competition is an idiot!

INXS are good friends with bands like Queen, Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones!

Grow Up!

41. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 10th, 2005 at 7:52 pm

Well duh. Of course they`re friends with all of those guys. How do you think they got all of those big songs? I mean, American Idol couldn`t even get rights to that one U2 song.

42. Lyn Lee Says:
    September 11th, 2005 at 2:45 am

Marty holds his soul in his eyes and transmits it across the airwaves! He is AMAZING to watch!

I LOVE SUZI… but Marty is the one who should win.

Both of them would be TOO COOL!

43. Boont Says:
    September 11th, 2005 at 3:02 am

Yeah, INXS USED TO BE successful but i don’t think they’ll achieve the same success they had in the late 80/90s.
    And INXS USED TO BE good because of Michael Hutchence but after he’s dead (commited suicide) the band becomes crappy and trash.

44. Boont Says:
    September 11th, 2005 at 3:03 am

45. David Says:
    September 11th, 2005 at 5:31 am

It’ll be either Marty or Suzie…and here’s why. Marty’s voice and range fit, almost all his performances have been great and he Wants it. OK, so he’s not perfect and sometimes he just stands there but you know his Heart is in it all the way.

Susie, like they said, has transformed…not just her looks but her voice has real power! What’s coming out of her is so strong that some of you have called her “Bitchy.” Look in the mirror. The best thing about that new INXS song was Suzie’s very short solo. I could feel it in my whole body.

I have to admit, I didn’t see Suzie’s earlier performances in the first few weeks and I didn’t see Jordis either, but who cares? She ROCKS the house! Jordis just doesn’t have what it takes to be a performer in a ROCK BAND. She’s got the intimate part down though and should stay with her strengths.

I don’t like JD because…(see any/all previous comments) and if he wins…well, I’m looking in that mirror.

46. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 11th, 2005 at 5:25 pm

Has anyone seen any of the articles about JD lately? He was wearing an “offensive” shirt that got past the censors. It`s all over the place.

47. LP Says:
    September 12th, 2005 at 4:02 pm

I can’t believe the support behind Marty who is a vacant eyed, expressionless muppet who can’t sing or dance. And Mig? Please. He’s a dweeb with no talent. INXS is not a pop band. The only choices are JD who has a dark, sexy side and Suzie who can actually sing.

48. Shari Says:
    September 12th, 2005 at 4:26 pm

If you are not a fan of INXS, then you have no right saying who should’ve stayed and who should go. I’m sick of people standing up for Jordis. She never seemed right for their band. She’s more like a Kelly Clarkson with dreadlocks. The purpose of the show is to find the best replacement for Michael Hutchence. The closest to that is JD or Suzie. Suzie has the tone and the resonance in her voice to pull off the classic INXS songs, and keep the same vibe as the original. For those of you who think Suzie has a mediocre voice, then you’re probably tone deaf, and your opinion should not count.

49. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 12th, 2005 at 5:55 pm

Of course Jordis wasn`t right for the band. They got rid of a bunch of good people too early-like Daphna. The only person who seems at all right and actually wants it really badly is JD. But he`s so much of a jerk that I don`t want him to win.

And the ONE time I said INXS were a bunch of old farts, I was just angry that my favorite got voted off-that happens to me alot. But it would help if they started actually giving constructive criticism.

50. Oblique Says:
    September 12th, 2005 at 8:19 pm

I agree completely with you LP – the whole aim of this is to find someone to replace Michael Hutchence, who will sing old INXS songs and new Farris brothers songs with the right tone. Marty is great but he’s too Franz Ferdinand/The Killers. MiG is great but he’s too ‘musical does rock’ on stage and his songs suck. The best people are Suzie and JD. I know JD is an arrogant w*nker but he’s a brilliant performer and singer and if we didn’t see the ‘reality’ part of this show (i.e. his rude behaviour at the Villa), I can almost guarantee he would be the favourite. It’s not a popularity contest, it’s also not a singing contest, it’s a contest to find the best new singer for INXS.

Interestingly enough, this hasn’t been mentioned on the show for obvious reasons but, do any of you in the States/Canada realise that INXS have already gone through 2 replacement singers? They were Suzi De Marchi (Baby Animals) and Jon Stevens (Noiseworks) – two of the best rock voices in Australia, yet neither of them worked out and quit the band due to poor (ha! Non-existent!) record sales, concerts (they were doing corporate functions for chrissakes!!) and the Farris brothers refused to write any new material.

I will be VERY interested to see how this pans out. I am a huge INXS fan and I will be very surprised if this proves successful. I think they should just leave INXS alone and form a new band with a new name. Michael Hutchence was INXS both vocally, lyrically and spiritually. Let him be.

51. meeschk Says:
    September 14th, 2005 at 11:34 pm

That’s interesting – I didn’t know about Suzi De Marchi but I thought Jon Stevens was only ever helping them out temporarily.

But for the reason that they don’t really want universal change/new direction/new material, I have said before that MiG is the only one right for the job – he matches culturally and is humble and willing to be lead.

Marty should stick with his band and they should use this exposure to launch themselves. They will sell tons! I would buy them. Failing that- Rockstar: Nirvana is right up Marty’s alley.

52. Zorro Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 12:32 pm

No way was Jordis right for ‘our band INXS’.

She tried to ‘Maria-Carey-fy’ songs FAR too much. Physically she didn’t ‘rock’ either.

She has a pleasant voice, but let’s analyse her alleged ‘talent’.

Stage presence? Nothing to get worked up about. Songwriting ability? Not really a lot of evidence there. Range? limited.

I think Jordis is lovely and will have a great solo career, but get real folks – her voice is hardly innovative and from a songwriting POV she ain’t no Joni Mitchell.

I am amazed in a contest to find the lead singer of INXS she got as far as she did.

53. Sketchy Mess Jeoffory Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 5:41 am

I have to agree with the conspiracy theorists here and say that Jordis purposefully got booted. My guess is that she was either using the show as a means to get her name out there from the start or that someone who is very smart sat her down and explained what a huge mistake it would be for her to end up the front-chick for some lame-ass-made-for-tv band. For anyone who seriously believes that her vocal skills, song interpretation, or ability to connect with the audience is lacking needs to get real. Did you notice that when she performed Imagine her game was right on the money again? She probably had to decide which song she was going to ALLOW herself to perform to her ability and was forced to flunk out all the rest. Come on, do you really think that the lack of enthusiam she showed would be possible if you were in the middle of a TV show that you actually wanted to win?

Long story short: Jordis will be signed (if she hasn’t been already) as a solo artist and will one day look back on this show as an embarrassing, but necessary, step in her career.

In case you didn’t hear me…
    UNGA! She has more talent than all the rest of the contestants, INXS, and Dave Navarro combined.

54. Zorro Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 1:33 pm

Re: above post.

It all depends on your definition of talent.

55. branden Says:
    October 19th, 2005 at 1:52 pm

i dont care wut u say bout jordis but i think she rocks hard and she mite ne a little bluesy so wut she rocks, do u not remember the way she sang heart shaped box and by the way she did do an awesome job at we are the champions, did better than jd, but jd is the rite person for the band, i want the jordis unga cd not the nxis cd, but i mite by it u never know, but i will buy the jordis cd with out a doubt one of my fav singers of all time, and its hard to beat my favs and she sings me to sleep every nite i listen to the songs she sang on rock star even dream on, i just think of the part she messed up on as a real heavy rock sound my opinion is she made up for at the end of the song when she hit the high note, Jordi iz #1

Comments