Rock Star INXS – The Final Three

September 14, 2005 11:44 PM by Joe Blackmon

Marty_guitar_breakBrooke Burke announces that Marty Casey won the viewer vote for an encore for his original song “Trees.”  Dave Navarro adds that there will be a second encore that will be selected by the studio audience.  Dave asks the audience to cheer after he announces each rock singer’s name, and J.D. Fortune gets the largest response.  After thanking the audience, J.D. asks if they would rather hear “Money” or “Pretty Vegas.”  The audience cheers for his original song “Pretty Vegas,” and J.D. adds a new twist to the song by performing an acoustic version.

Before Marty Casey performs an encore of his original song “Trees,” he smashes a guitar to the delight of the cheering studio audience.  After Marty finishes, Brooke asks the rock singers to raise their hand if they think they are safe.  No one raises their hand.  Brooke first reveals the early voting results and then calls out the bottom three vote-getters one by one.  Suzie is the first in the bottom three, and she performs “Suicide Blonde.”  J.D. is the second in the bottom three, and he performs “By My Side.”  MiG rounds out the final three, and he performs “What You Need.”

J.D. has the strongest peformance, but MiG also does an admirable job during his first visit to the bottom three.  Suzie has the worst performance of the three.  Even if Suzie would have had an incredible performance, it’s unlikely that it would have changed the outcome.  INXS already had their minds made up based on Suzie’s frequent trips to the bottom three and her struggles during a recent interview with the band.  However, before telling Suzie that she’s just not right for their band, INXS has some cruel fun with J.D. by calling his name out first and pausing before telling him that they will see him in the finale next week.  Suzie gives a classy and heartwarming thank you speech after her elimination and wishes the remaining three well.  Next Tuesday at 10P.M. ET on CBS, INXS will select either MiG Ayesa, Marty Casey, or J.D. Fortune to become the new lead singer of their band.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

41 Responses to “Rock Star INXS – The Final Three”

1. naomi Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 1:56 am

Suzies gone! What the hell!

2. Christine Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 2:35 am

Well, at last Mig shows us some real rocker ability! I think Suzie was the one to go…and she acted like she knew it.

It was interesting that Marty really thought he was in the bottom three…and Mig was surprised that he was.

3. sean Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 3:47 am

its no ? that the remaining 3 are good singers in their own right. It all depends on what inxs is looking for someone to take their music towards the screaming type of music Marty or with someone who is very open, probably easy to push in the direction they want to go musically Mig or someone who is wild but can write/rearrange songs fairly well J.D. They all have pros and cons my fav. is J.D. I think he works the stage/fans better than the rest and has more to offer with writing rearranging music and he is getting better each week so are the others but I think he is improving in bigger leaps and bounds. I think he is more aware of what type of rock and roll inxs used to play and can sing write that type no problem. I believe that marty would do best on his own with a nobody band and Mig would be better if he was stronger more spine go after what he wants. Mig is my second choice he has done fairly well with most songs even if they wern’t his first choice (more spine needed) and he also can do more of that inxs type rock & roll. I don’t believe that inxs needs to change their music they were very diverse and had a non lyric screamer. These are just my opions and comments so I hope nobody takes too much offence to them but constructive criticism is always good.

4. Anonymous Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 5:52 am

Totally agree with sean. JD is arrogant , but the boy can do INXS better than anyone else. Mig is great, but I still find him a little to “theatre performer”. Marty is actually my fav…but I’d rather see him go independant so he could stay true to his style of music. This show is about finding a new front man for INXS….that will have to be JD.

5. steve Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 6:40 am

i believe JD is right for the band. Marty needs to go on “Rockstar: Nirvana”, and Mig just looks like Bobby Brady trying to sing rock music. something unsettling about him…

6. Zoe Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 7:46 am

You’re totally right Sean, it’s about who’s best for THAT band now. I agree they are all great in their own way, including Suzie.

As far as a winner to lead them, again, I agree, it’s JD all the way. Not that Mary and MiG are not good in and of themselves, but as the band says, they’re just not right for OB-INXS.

Let me also say, there was a long time there where I didn’t think JD would get past the final 5, but he’s really shown them he is the best fit for their style of song. Not to mention his riveting stage presence.

(and yes, Marty and MiG and even Suzie and probably Jordis, will all end up with great careers now)

7. Julie Strasser Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 8:21 am

Does anyone think that they elevated Susie to a level she never was really at. Just to boost the idea that this is still a competition. I felt her Tuesday night performance was not up to par, but INXS never gave her any criticism?

8. sirgarz Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 8:30 am

I dont want to come across as a sexist because i certainly am not, but Julie, I agree with you. I, however, simply feel that Susie was somewhat a token female as though INXS wanted to make it very clear that they are looking for either male or female. Susie is not even close in talent compared to the others in my opinion.

9. sonya Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 10:48 am

i love love love marty, but please dont let him win! i want him to play his own music with his own band! man that guy has some talent! and that little bit of something that just says rock star. but not rock star inxs, that title goes to jd.

10. sonya Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 10:49 am

11. Kari Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 10:57 am

I am rooting for Mig. I honestly think he was shocked to be in the bottom three last night, because he has given performances that were worse and still never been there. But he came out and showed INXS he can rock their songs! He may be more musical theater than anyone really wants, but all that means is he understands the complete stress that a tour or two hour stage show really is!!!-

12. sidd Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 11:32 am

martys my fav id like to see him win rockstarinxs but also want him to be independant id certainly buy the album :) if marty goes single JDs rght for the band definately although migs performance of the rolling stones song was pretty gud still id say hes 3rd on my list
    cheers

13. sidd Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 11:34 am

cheers

14. Prediction Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 11:56 am

Suzie clearly had the best voice of the final six or so, but she is not right for INXS.

MiG is simply not rock star material, unless the band is Loverboy or those glam rock bands of the early ’80s. Plus he hasn’t shown any strong evidence of songwriting ability. Marty and JD have.

Marty is wonderful, and will likely be the most successful of the bunch, if he doesn’t “win” this competition. But I think INXS would hold him back, and I think they have to be afraid that he will look for too much control of the band for their comfort.

J.D. will win this, barring a train wreck of a final performance. He simply sounds the best when doing INXS material, has songwriting chops, and while arrogant around the other contestants, he has shown more humilty (!?) than Marty when face to face with the band.

15. Yam Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 12:25 pm

It depends on what INXS wants… If they want to be big with the gay community pick Mig. If they want someone to do Michael Hutchence impersonations pick JD. If they want to move forward but have the band become second fiddle to the lead singer pick Marty. My guess is they will pick JD and continue play the same old INXS like songs from the 80′s until they end up playing state fairs in the midwest.

Although I was surprised they didn’t get rid of both Suzie and Mig after last night…. makes me wonder if the INXS boys might be keen on playing bath houses.

16. John Bonham Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 1:06 pm

The FINAL 3 is all about Money!

Every time Marty (the Kurt Cobain wannabe) takes the stage, my mind wonders, is this his last performance before the brain aneurysm ruptures. The only thing Marty is missing is the sponsorship logo items from Winchester to complete the Nirvana look. If Cobain came back from the dead is this what it would sound like? I think not. What I plan to do instead is I will listen to my remix of a POD and Nirvana scream off and call it a day. For all you Marty lovers, INXS will take the singer that is commercially expedient for them and Marty ain’t the guy.

Marty is over opinionated, but diplomatic in a job interview phony way. The Farris brothers can see through his act. They (INXS) will not let the new guy direct the band. Marty needs his own label and to call his own shots. Maybe the Lovehammers could use him again? I really think Marty is just using this platform for his own ends and has NO interest in INSX.

J.D. is just psycho in a bipolar way – like most homosexuals he can not seem to decide on the nice guy personality or just another arrogant prick with sexual identification confusion. This makes J.D. way too risky for INXS. The INXS nightmare scenario. They are at a gig it is 6:30 and JD did not show up for sound check. It is 7:30 and the warm-up act has been told to stretch their set. Panic comes at 9:00 and there is NO J.D. to be found. But, this time unlike in Vegas there are 15,000 people waiting for the show. And where is J.D.? He is having a fit at Pinky’s Bar over a hang nail on his left thumb.

J.D. in the J.D. Fortune band, hell yeah, rock on, but not in INSX. As for sexy; the fact is J.D. is too skinny and has no ass to sell to the ladies. He is the kind of guy that the thick chicks dig only when can’t see that he really is a gay blade.

MiG is the safest bet for INXS he can sing and can front the band of aging oldsters. He is also closer in age to them as well. MiG is also from their side of the planet and has a proven track record of performing. These facts are reassuring for INXS. Additionally, Marty is an unknown quantity when it comes to performances. Can he really scream for a 90 minute set? MiG does not present the problem of a J.D. because when it is show time MiG knows what is at stake.

MiG (Miguel) has a toned body. When I was in the crowd the other day at the tapping in L.A. I could smell the women getting hot over MiG. As an aside, I must say that the female moist in the thigh olfactory component is defiantly there for MiG.

Don’t be confused this is NOT about singing, this competition is about who will drive the crowd nuts to free them from their money. This is and will always be about MONEY!

If this was about singing Ty would still be around and so would Suzie. The truth is Ty is not here because he is black and INXS is from Australia. Ty has a great voice and good showmanship but he is black and BLACK does not sell down under, period. Just ask any Aboriginal Australians.

As for Suzie she has a great voice but lacks two things for a woman to sell in todays music climate, one she lacks sexual confidence and it shows, two she has a large butt. Suzie’s butt is big, not in a bubblicious Jennifer Lopez or Brittany look, but more like wwwide, as in a “Baby Momma Drama” fashion.

Furthermore, the sad truth is women have a shorter shelf life than men. For a case in point take a look a Mick Jagger vs. Grace Slick to see the light on this one or Dianna Ross vs. BB King. In both cases the men are still able to sell tickets and that is what the Ferris brothers want and need. In the end it all comes down to one thing who will be the best sell to the public.

Simple truth: INSX needs MiG Ayesa more than MiG Ayesa needs INXS.

John Bonham

17. John Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 1:25 pm

Uh, ever heard of Ann Wilson, John? Heart still sells tickets, and you can no longer say folks are too distracted by Nancy to notice Ann because Nancy can’t/shouldn’t be in the tight leather pants anymore. Though Ann has done a great job losing a ton of weight lately …

18. Danielle Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 1:52 pm

I’ve watched the show and have been amazed at the talent of some of the contestants. I would hope that alot of them go onto have careers in the music industry………but there is something that strikes me about this entire show…is it just me or is INXS just that tiny bit naff?
    The contestants are given the choice to sing some amazing songs every week then its such a let down when u hear the INXS songs…its when this happens that I realise just how naff they now sound.

If I was told ‘you’re just not right for our band’ I’d be thinking ‘too right, I’m not right for your band,thanks for the exposure but I’m off to get a solo recording deal and retain my credibility’.

I’m an Aussie and grew up listening to INXS, and just feel that this entire competition is unnecessary.

19. John Bonham Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 2:27 pm

John:

Sure Ann and Nancy sell tickets but where? At 200 to 2000 seat venues. John, is this what INXS is looking for? No, INXS is looking for past glory and rock relevance NOT 200 seat club gigs or state fairs. I am not sure they can find it again with or without MiG, Marty or J.D.

I am not sure they can ever find it again. They are truly yesterdays news.

As for Heart they started out as a twin chick band with two dudes. The fan base for heart is centered around both women. Your point is weak at best. To take your Heart example. If Sarah Mclachlan became a 400 pound tub of lard her fans would still be loyal, still buying her music and concert tickets. Because her fans pay to be entertained by her voice. The same is true with Heart.

As for sexual confidence, Nancy has always had it thick or thin. Suzie does not. However, I can tell you with confidence, I don’t want to see Nancy in tight leather or spandex dividing her labia majora in my face just don’t wanna see that. Now, if Brook Burke could sing like Nancy I would have a different opinion about the leather.

John Bonham.

20. Jerry Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 2:41 pm

I am surprised to see so many think that JD is the best for the job. However, I do agree that there are pros and cons to each. Here is how I see it: JD – he is very immature and ego-centric. With JD INXS could have a lot of fun, probably attract decent crowds (mostly made up of silly screaming girls) and sell some albums and nothing more. They would not break any new ground or be innovative. JD is too shallow, and quite frankly cheesy to help recreate and push this band forward. Mig – he is just about as boring as can be. If INXS wants to play it safe, have a very “nice” few years making some “nice” gentle music and doing decent rehashes of their old songs, Mig is the man; boring as can be, but safe. Marty – he is a very intense, creative, passionate performer. If INXS wants to break new ground, to be a true new INXS and not a boring version of the old INXS, Marty is the guy. With Marty, INXS could forge new ground, they could make music that would set them apart and their second run may be as good or better than the first run. My guess is that, unfortunately; they will play it safe and go with either JD or Mig. I have a hunch that they are not risk takers and do not want to forge any new ground and really challenge themselves creatively. Marty in reality is light years ahead of where the other two could ever hope to be, but that may not matter in the end, kind of sad.

21. m Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 3:23 pm

Nobody is saying that Marty isnt the best choice for INXS. But:

1) Marty will be bigger than INXS can be again if he goes forward without INXS

2) INXS is a bunch of forty (fifty?) something rockers who I don’t think are a bunch of wimps ready to crater to where Marty wants to go.

3) Both can do better for themselves and who they are.

This is a case where the sum of the parts would be more than the whole.

22. LP Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 3:33 pm

So we are now left with the muppet, the elf and the bi-polar JD. JD is the only one who doesn’t bore me and I still can’t see why Marty is so popular. Like the radiohead song said “he’s a creep”.

23. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 5:21 pm

I hate JD too much to want him to win. Marty screams too much to be right for INXS. MiG doesn`t really seem to want as badly as he should to win. Hmmm… I don`t know who to root for. I guess since I like hard rock and Marty seems pretty hard rock to me, I`ll just go with Marty.

And I hear the other eliminated contestants are coming back for the finale next week.

24. GodGirl Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 7:50 pm

I think J.D. should win. They’re all talented, but he has the most marketable face.

On another note, I got rid of all my INXS music b/c it reminded me a not-so-great time in my life. Well, now I wish I had it back! Has anyone else done this? Trashed their INXS tunes and now regret it?

25. meeschk Says:
    September 15th, 2005 at 11:17 pm

Marty has to go it alone, and his fans seem to prefer him to. I think that if he had been in the bottom 3 he would have left this week.

I had read spoilers about the 3 INXS songs sung and how great they were and my hubby and I both thought JD and Suzie were really ordinary. I expected better of the both, tho’ not a fan of either.

I just couldn’t listen to a whole CD of JD. He’s just not it.

26. Yam Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 12:21 am

Yikes… according to Australian press Mig was once wags the dog on the 1999 Wiggles show. How can anyone even claim to be rocker if they danced around a bunch of toddlers in a dog suit. Mig just fell lower on my radar screen… I hate the Wiggles almost as much as I hate barney. I damn sure don’t want to think of Devil Inside being sung by a dog puppet.

27. meeschk Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 1:45 am

Wiggles appear to be a great stepping stone.. isn’t one of the Australian Idol finalists a back-up Wiggle? *grin*

I wish I had watched this show from the start…

28. jan Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 7:11 am

I can’t STAND J.D. If he wins, I’ll vomit. The guy sounds the same in everything he sings. He sounds like Elvis. Definately NOT right for INXS. Mig is great, and so is Marty. I would give the edge to Marty– the man is a genius, and very diverse. He’s a true star.

29. roger Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 7:22 am

I cant believe JD made it this far. The guy is dangerous. He admits to having had a drug problem, and he definately has an anger and attitude problem. Doesn’t anyone remember how he lashed out at Suzie when she truthfully answered INXS’s question about how he screwed up the studio session? If INXS picks him, there will be a breakup in the first few months, guaranteed. I don’t think he’s worth gambling the future of INXS on.

30. m Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 7:32 am

Kind of a sidebar, but my wife and I figured out what Marty should do if he ever went into musical theater like MiG has done — Rocky Horror. He’d be the perfect Frank N. Furter, probably much better than Tim Curry did in the movie version

31. m Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 8:51 am

“I cant believe JD made it this far. The guy is dangerous.”

Isn’t that a prerequisite for rock n roll?

32. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 6:34 pm

And JD is a monkey/popsicle stick.

33. G. Hamilton Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 9:59 pm

How can any of you say that Suzie was a “token” women that inxs kept around just to make it look like a women had a legitimate chance.
    Listen to any of the tracks. Suzie is far and away the best singer. Inxs has said this themselves many times.
    They didn’t get rid of Suzie because of a lack of ability. It was a personal choice that the band made and we really don’t know the reason, but I guarantee it was not about ability. It could have been about how she did in the interview, or it could have been a personality thing. Maybe the group didn’t feel like they were clicking with Suzie like they were with the others. Maybe their wives told them that they could not chose a 28 year old hottie to tour with them.

Many of the tracks that Suzie performed are amazing and I am confident that she is going to do great for herself. We might even hear more from her in the future (how about with the house band) than we will from the new Inxs.

34. m Says:
    September 17th, 2005 at 12:58 pm

Suzie and Marty both would do better w/o INXS. MiG as a rock star needs INXS, but really should go back to the theatre. J.D. probably needs INXS.

Marty better be praying that he is the 1st runner up in this. That will maximize his exposure. Winning would be losing for Marty at this point.

35. Screach Says:
    September 17th, 2005 at 1:37 pm

The 3 big winners in this contest are:

1. Marty, if he doesn’t win the
    lead singer role.
    2. Suzie, now that she didn’t win
    the lead singer role.
    3. The house band.

All have a great future in Rock Music!

36. Irene Says:
    September 17th, 2005 at 7:25 pm

Hi, I am from Australia and I have been watching the show from beginning and I think out of the final 3 Mig would fit in the best with INXS.
    JD is trying to be too much like what Michael was and even though I loved Michael I think he is just looking to have one long party with all that comes along iwth it! Also I have found his voice has slighty changed in the last few weeks, it’s not sounding as strong as it did in the beginning.
    Now Marty will have problems with toning down his hard rock side, and I think he should go it alone as his has too much talent to change his ways to fit into the INXS mould. And I like him too much to watch him loose his rock ways.
    Now I have to admit MIG has been my fav from the start of the show and I wish him well. I can see what everybody says about his thearte side coming out but at the end of the day when you go to a concert isn’t it a show on stage? so why not have some body who can put on a show and that also has a great voice.
    Good luck to all the finalist.

37. naomi Says:
    September 18th, 2005 at 12:26 am

I have a two year old who has every Wiggles DVD there is, and nowhere in the credits does it say that Mig Ayesa was “Wags the Dog”

Properganda should be left to politics!

38. meeschk Says:
    September 18th, 2005 at 6:04 pm

I am with you Irene!

39. m Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 7:27 am

Naomi,

Proves nothing — often performers who early in career dabble in muliple areas go under multiple names. And certainly if I played Wags the Dog, I wouldn’t list myself under the same name outside the children entertainment industry! Especially if my ambitions included being the lead singer of a rock band.

40. Tsiporah Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 10:50 am

What a terrific idea to do this show! Your audience ranges from teens to middle aged old rockers like myself, and I am thoroughly enjoying seeing and hearing some really fantastic talent.
    We also got to see the performers as people, and to hear them react spontaneously. When they lose, they come from the heart.
    As for favourites, everyone has them. As the band says, its about being right for them.
    After reading the reviews above, it is obvious to many that Marty may be held back by the band, and would do well with his own band. The important thing for all of them is that they got heard. JD is incredibly compelling on stage, has a good voice, and appears to be quite capable of fronting a band. And even though Suzie was eliminated, I would go to one of her concerts any time…she is a fabulous rocker and good for her to share her passion.

41. meeschk Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 6:20 pm

The point is: Wags the Dog or Elvis Impersonator, who cares? It doesn’t make a lick of difference where they came from.

Good on them for doing cr*ppy jobs just to stay in the industry they love, many would have given up faced with those options.

Can we move on to discussing RELEVANT to the competition??

Comments