Rock Star: INXS – J.D., Marty, & Mig Collaborate With Andrew Farris

September 18, 2005 11:02 PM by Joe Blackmon

Mig_hondaAfter the elimination show, Marty Casey expresses his surprise that Suzie McNeil got eliminated.  Evidently, Marty was expecting MiG Ayesa to go home.  The fact that MiG is still around has Marty worried that he might be saving it all for the end.  Dave Navarro shows up at the mansion in order to work in some obvious plugs for sponsors.  Dave pulls off a rare triple play telling J.D., Marty, & MiG that they will be driving in their new HONDA Civis (with navigation systems) to the GIBSON Showroom to collaborate with Andrew Farris on a song that they can listen to on their DELL DJ Ditty.

Marty and MiG are careful to prepare in advance for the writing session, while J.D. Fortune insists that “rock n’ roll shouldn’t be too over thought.”  After extensive close-ups of the rock singers driving in their new HONDAS, they each have a turn collaborating with Andrew Farris.

Marty comes in with a chorus already prepared that Andrew Farris thinks is right on track.  Andrew is impressed by how well prepared Marty is and by the type of lyrics that he is able to put together.

MiG also impresses Andrew with how much time he has put into the lyrics.  However, Andrew is concerned that MiG seems to always take the sweet road in the melodies and harmonies instead of exploring the dark side in a song.  On a related note, an Australian newspaper has uncovered that MiG Ayesa performed as Wags The Dog with The Wiggles back in 1999, which could explain his tendency to lean toward the happy side in his lyrics.

J.D. comes in with only a couple verses written, and then asks Andrew if he has any lyric ideas.  Andrew is surprised that J.D. doesn’t have more lyrics written.  However, by being unprepared, J.D. also demonstrates to Andrew how he thinks very quickly and how he thinks outside the box.  In the end, Andrew is very impressed by what he and J.D. are able to put together, but Andrew also thinks J.D. needs more of Marty’s discipline.

For the Rock Star: INXS finale, the rock singers are told that they can pick any song from the entire season’s catalog.  J.D. selects “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Marty selects “Wish You Were Here,” and MiG selects “Bohemian Rhapsody.”  The Rock Star: INXS finale airs on Tuesday, September 20, 2006 at 10P.M. ET on CBS.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

28 Responses to “Rock Star: INXS – J.D., Marty, & Mig Collaborate With Andrew Farris”

1. Mr. Top 10 Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 12:24 am

The question is not who is best for INXS but the question is why do we need INXS?

All three J.D. (Elvis the Next Generation), Marty (Nirvana re-du) and MiG (a Rocker without a Dark Side – oxymoron) would do well on their own gig and have literarily NO NEED for INXS. Really what to these plus 50 and very very late 40 year old, spare tire sporting old fogies bring to the table? At least two of these guys (J.D. and Marty) are replacing market place performers that had huge followers and are now dead (Cobain and Presley) and the third could croons ballads (we maybe not moody ones) and do karaoke on cruise ships till the next millennium and do well for himself.

People help me out here – Why are we even remotely concerned for INSX?

Mr. Top 10

2. meeschk Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 12:48 am

Have a little respect for nearly 30 years of rock achievement!! Who had heard of MiG, JD or Marty before this show??

I would like to have seen MiG do something less theatrical. Marty kix butt on Wish You Were Here. No way will JD match Ty’s delivery of You Can’t Always Get What U Want..

Looking forward to the show!!

3. Aussie Inxsling Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 1:24 am

Mr. Top 10 wrote: “Really what to these plus 50 and very very late 40 year old, spare tire sporting old fogies bring to the table?”

umm.. “plus 50″?? None of the members of INXS are over 50..
    Tim turned 49 in August, Garry is 48, Kirk is 47, Andrew is 46, and Jon turned 45 in August.

Not sure where you got your idea’s about their ages from, but your comments will come across as far more credible if they are actually accurate.

4. Mr. Top 10 Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 7:43 am

I do not follow the INXS individual personal life’s.

While they may not be chronologically 50 they sure look it. Stand back and take a realistic view, INXS’s look is exceptionally haggard, pot bellied, middle aged has beens. Their manner of dress looks more like their clothing is supplied by the Home Depot ready wear clothing line. Then you have Tim’s shaggy jowls for god sakes he looks like a pig; if you noticed most of them are trying to hide their age behind sunglasses, it is a sad site. This contest is taking on the appearance of mid-age desperation than reality cutting edge rock band.

Your point is well take on: “Who had heard of MiG, JD or Marty before this show??” and I agree.

I think you would also agree that Mark Burnett could have taken the show with the “House Band” or multiple “House Bands” and package a reality contest about fresh and emerging new talent.

INXS is just In XS-baggage and does not bring a single thing NEW to the table.

Mr. Top 10

5. Ms Kit Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 9:19 am

It comes down to what is it INXS really wants to be doing? Do they want to be creative and fresh or do they want to relive years that are over? If the latter, MiG or JD would be fine. Look at what MiG’s done. Richie Valens, the Queen thing, etc–what has he done as MiG? He can be Michael if that’s what they want. The sweet thing is what will do him in.
    JD is who I think they’ll go with, although he reminds me way too often of Elvis and I find his stage presence annoying. But like MiG–he’s done alot as someone else, and maybe that’s all INXS really wants. He’s a person trying to create himself –he’d be a lead singer they can shape as he seems to truly look up to INXS. (father figures? the family photo bit seemed calculated but maybe–) He’s got enough of an “edge” which they seem to want but would be controllable.
    I like Marty, but I’m not sure INXS really wants to explore a new sound or style. He is very definitely his own person with strong ideas and a vision of what INXS could be–did any of the others ever bring that up? Would it be the best move for him? I think he might find himself frustrated and feeling limited. Listening to his Lovehammers’ music makes me wonder if there’s been a point where he’s asked himself, man, what if I do win? Can I do this for a few years? (Sorry JD I don’t see 20 as a realistic number!!!)
    What I’d love to see is Marty and Jordis or Suzie do something with the house band! I’d be buying that way before the next INXS release.

6. angela mcdonald Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 10:22 am

i don’t care what everyone else thinks J.D. is the man for the band. Not only is he the best singer he is the best song writter there. He has a talent that shines and makes him his own person. Can’t wait to see J.D. as the next member of INXS.

7. Heather Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 12:05 pm

I’m just waiting for next season – Rock Star: Van Halen.

It totally should happen!

8. m Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 2:01 pm

I think this concept can be expanded to simply “Rock Star”. Either form a house band like they have and make it about finding a lead singer to front a new band, or go all out and have try outs for each significant position — lead singer, lead guitar, drums, keyboards …

9. Michael Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 4:57 pm

What they need to do is bring back VH-1′s “Bands on the Run” show. I think that’s a much more interesting show, watching unsigned bands travel from town to town in cramped vans and try to drum up audiences for each club appearance. No product placements, no millionaire mansions, no Brooke Burke calling it the greatest rock music ever.

10. David Lee Van Hagar Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 5:09 pm

You know Heather, I could not agree more: Van Halen should be next.

Can you imagine Eddy sitting there with his holier than thou attitude. Michael Anthony looking for a rock to hide under and Alex wishing he had someone else’s DNA so he could deny that Eddie was his brother. Talk about someone to talk SMACK to Davie Navarro. Hell, I would tune-in just to watch the boys hit on Brook and Eddie putting down Navarro every week for being gay and hiding behind the skirt of Carmen Electra. The only rule I would have is both Sammy and David Lee would be contestants.

David Lee Van Hagar.

11. meeschk Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 6:16 pm

Rockstar: Nirvana should be next.. Marty can participate as “Carry Over Champ”.. They will also need a drummer now that Foofighters have taken off.. imagine that, auditioning a drummer and a lead singer.. that would be good viewing.. give me a drum solo any time. *wink*

12. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 19th, 2005 at 6:21 pm

I see Marty sort of having a career after Rockstar, not that it will last very long or be very successful. And I guess JD`s fans will keep him in the spotlight for a while. Still, I find it very strange that people are saying “why need INXS?”. *coughmr.toptencough*
    Of the three left, I don`t see any of them having too big of careers.

13. coyote Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 9:47 am

What a shame that people are making comments on the age of INXS. I suppose B.B King or the Stones have nothing to contribute either. Rock music has always been about be true to who you are – INXS deserve respect for keeping their music alive, not critism.

14. coyote Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:37 am

concerning another season of Rock Star, I’ve heard rumors of that. To be honest, Van Halen would be interesting, but only because I am old enough to remember them. I think INXS is unique because three of the members are brothers, which means it was easy for them to come back together. I cannot envision that happening with many bands. INXS is also unique since they were actually planning a tour before MH’s death, so the band went into a strange, unfinished limbo. I would like to see a Rock Star show where they bring together some established talent who are no longer in bands to form a new band, sort of like what happened with Velvet Revolver.

15. ABT Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:56 am

‘Marty & The House Band’ – would head straight to the top, with a bullet

16. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 5:55 pm

To Coyote

I agree – its weird how, as the contestants accumulated fans and were booted of, those fans have turned on INXS themselves.

You could look at it as INXS fans having swapped INXS for the contestant they supported, but I wonder how many viewers were genuine INXS fans to begin with, or just Reality TV junkees?

INXS rock – I say, walk a mile in their shoes before you even think about judging them (because then you’ll be a mile away and they will have no shoes to chase you in *ha ha*)

17. Henry Perez Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 8:54 am

I am pissed off with INXS’s choice of singer.(J.D.) what are they thinking. Marty was the only one that could put them on the map, with new material. update the sound without changing the band. I guess the wanted a puppet. marty is a real artist and the mates in inxs may have been intimidated. good luck, from a long time fan.

18. Robert Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 9:31 am

INXS just committed suicide. JD was a horrible choice. I will never buy another CD of theirs.. ever. I had to turn the sound off last night whenever he sings. J.D. bothers me. He’s annoying. And, personally, he didn’t deserve it. He had a rotten attitude, and I bet he’ll cause lots of tension in the band. Marty was the clear choice. He could have taken the band in a wonderful new direction. Now, INXS is just… boring! Thumbs down to INXS!

19. me Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 4:15 pm

I had a feeling that ass was going to win- they will regret it. JD showed he had all of the rock n’ roll cliches down pat- the collar up, appealing to the girls in the front row. And he showed he had an awful attitude, that his ego is already massive. He didn’t seem to look like the kind you could collaborate with. And all that kiss-ass stuff he would say to Inxs, ick! I can’t wait to read about the self-destruction that happens with this one.

20. Lynn Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 8:09 pm

Ugh! What is wrong with INXS? Why did they pick that twit JD? And, no, he doesn’t appeal to all women. I’m female and I think he’s a dork. I will never, ever, ever listen to INXS again. Mig or Marty was far, far better than the Elvis impersonater. Bye, bye INXS. You missed your chance to climb back on the charts. Now you’ll sink like a lead weight.

21. derek Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 12:30 pm

I had certainly heard of MiG before. As a longtime fan of the band Queen, MiG & Ty are both well known to us.

22. Kira Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 1:18 pm

Although I really dislike DJ on a personal level and think he is an arrogant prick, I think he was the best performer and his voice fits the band better than any of the other performers. I think Marty was one of the most charismatic people, but he was just a mediocre singer, and his voice just doesn’t fit the band. My personal favorite was Ty. I think his only problem was some of his latter song selections. They were lame songs and no amount of talent could have made them sound good. Although I have to say I lost a great deal of respect for him when he tried to blame his being voted off on race.

23. merrik Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 3:51 pm

I think J.D is the only choice for INXS!

24. Drake Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 3:55 pm

How muck reality TV is really reality. Like that inxs son that the contestants joined in on and sang as a group wasnt rehersed previously….a small example.

25. Loren Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 10:44 am

Rock Star: Van Halen wouldn’t interest me. It would be too dated and old school, hearing long haired dudes in tight pants belt out false-setto notes = lame. Yes, INXS came from the 80s but the music is more timeless and 80′s pop/new wave is still popular today.

I would rather see Blind Melon or Alice in Chains.

Someone else had a great idea about having each position of the band audition and in the end an entire band would be formed. That would take some work but could be quite interesting.

Final Note: I wish Marty, Mig, Jordis, Suzie & Ty the best of luck. They were my favorites.

26. OlderWoman Says:
    October 1st, 2005 at 1:55 am

I think the opinion of the house band should have been a component in the show. They would know how each of the performers were to work with. Who was prepared? Who had bad ideas?
    From what I’ve read, Marty had a great work ethic – on time, prepared, professional. I think MiG understood that too, but JD doesn’t seem very professional.

One more word about Marty – that man has so much charisma I could not take my eyes off of him when he was performing.

27. Kandi Says:
    October 2nd, 2005 at 5:02 pm

I think jd is an ass and his voice sucks too marty should of won but now that he isnt in inxs he has time to start his own band and jordis already has done that and you all are right marty has great charisma and he’s hot too and jd suckks!!!!!!
    ps i love you marty

28. Stacy Says:
    October 16th, 2005 at 10:32 am

As much as I would LOVE to see Van Halen on TV three times a week, I would HATE to see them go out like this…

Comments