Rock Star INXS Finale – Who’s Right For INXS?

September 19, 2005 11:03 PM by Joe Blackmon

Even though Rock Star: INXS got off to a slow start in the ratings, it has heated up during recent weeks, and the finale should pull in big ratings.  We’re actually looking forward more to the Rock Star: INXS finale than we are to the Big Brother 6 finale, which wasn’t the case in the initial weeks of both shows.  Unlike Big Brother 6, where the most popular contestants are already gone, the three remaining rock singers all have their own large fan followings.

We actually like all three of the final singers, so no matter who wins, we won’t be too disappointed.  However, here is how we break down the singers and their chances.

Early rumors suggested that MiG Ayesa was already destined to be INXS’ next lead singer.  MiG seemed to have the largest fan base coming into the competition.  MiG’s extensive fan base even kept him out of the bottom three until the very end of the competition.  MiG comes across as the nicest guy in the competition, and he would certainly mesh well with the band members of INXS.  MiG has everything going for him, except a popular original song that could be used as the band’s first release with its new lead singer.  If INXS picks MiG, then INXS will have to hope that they can write a hit song together, and our prediction is that they won’t take that chance.  The last couple weeks of repetitive encores of “Trees” and “Pretty Vegas” have already foreshadowed that MiG will not be selected.

Marty Casey is probably the best singer in the competition.  He is also an audience favorite, having been the only rock singer to avoid the bottom three in the final viewer vote.  Marty’s original song “Trees” is a hit song and would do well as a first release.  However, “Trees” is distinctly Marty’s song and doesn’t sound like an INXS song.  Marty also doesn’t sound like an INXS lead singer, as the band has repeatedly criticized his tendency to scream some of the lyrics to songs.  Also, if INXS selects Marty, then how long is Marty going to be satisfied singing old INXS songs to please the crowds on tour. Marty seems destined to become a great artist in his own right, and we could see him butting heads with INXS over the band’s direction.  If INXS selects Marty, then we would not be surprised if the relationship only lasts for one album before band and lead singer go their separate ways.  Our prediction is that INXS will recognize the risk for an embarrassing future break-up and will not select Marty.

At first, J.D. Fortune seems like an unlikely choice.  J.D. doesn’t have the rock star good looks of MiG Ayesa or the powerful voice of Marty Casey.  However, what J.D. does have is a good fit with the band INXS.  J.D. Fortune and INXS need each other.  While Marty Casey is probably going to wind up with a record deal regardless of if he is selected by INXS, J.D. Fortune’s outlook is much more cloudy without INXS.  J.D. needs INXS to more fully develop and become a star.  J.D. also seems to almost relish singing old INXS songs.  Unlike with Marty, J.D. would probably have no problems singing old INXS favorites on tour for many, many years to come.  J.D. also has a hit song in “Pretty Vegas.”  Even more importantly, J.D. used music written by INXS for his song, which boosts the band’s ego that they had a part in the creation of the song.  This was a key move by J.D. because it shows the band that J.D. will work with them and not overshadow them or try to go off and do his own thing.  Our prediction is that J.D. Fortune will be just right for INXS.

The Rock Star: INXS finale airs on Tuesday, September 20, 2006 at 10P.M. ET on CBS.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

44 Responses to “Rock Star INXS Finale – Who’s Right For INXS?”

1. Jazzy Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 1:32 am

I wholeheartedly agree that JD would be the best fit for INXS.

Although he was irritating at first, the little bugger started growing on me after his Birthday party. Even INXS admitted he was sure to be a lot of fun on the road.

The rest of the contestants will move on and become famous for beng

Marty and Jordis will soon front their own bands and perform music on their terms. MiG and Suzie will find other bands out there, worthy of their talents.

2. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 1:52 am

I appreciate all and agree with many of the “on paper” arguments about the Final 3, but when it comes to JD, he’s just nasty and not in cool-bad-boy-rocker kind of way. He can’t hit notes and his attitude stinks. I love INXS and it makes me really sad to think that they will pick him as I just could not watch their vid’s or listen to a CD with his voice in the lead.

The question for me now, as an Aussie, is whether I try to find a spoiler or wait to watch the show to find out who wins… what to do, what to do…?

3. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 2:03 am

Hey, just read Marty’s blog on the RSI website – he says he is doing “Wish you were here” and dedicating it to his band – do you think he is kind of indicating that he would rather be with them? Or is that reading too much into it? Lots of Marty fans in the message boards seem to be hoping he doesn’t win, for his own good.

Very interesting, how boring life will be when its all over..

4. Zoe Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:02 am

I agree with J.D as the right fit.

At first, I had him pegged for the top 4 as the MOST he could hope for. But he HAS developed alot and as he said, just think what he could be in the upcoming months and years.

I won’t stoop to slam any one competitor over another, as they are all uniquely talented and I’m sure INXS has debated the pro’s and con’s each brings to the table.

I’ll be happy for each of them (that includes Jordis and Suzie!) to establish themselves in their own right. I agree with the article that J.D needs this the most, and that Marty and MiG will be just fine.

5. JDantics Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:04 am

Who says JD doesn’t have good looks? Mig is good looking? Really? This is really news. JD is a great fit, I don’t know if INXS will take a chance on him but, he’s definately the star.

6. Bassman134 Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:11 am

“Marty Casey is probably the best singer in the competition. He is also an audience favorite, having been the only rock singer to avoid the bottom three in the final viewer vote. ”

Best singer? You have to be kidding me. He has the least vocal range, continually hits sour notes and has one distinct style.

While MiG’s theatrical background tends to come out during performances, he certainly is the most talented “singer”. JD is pretty good, but he has a limited range as well.

Call Marty a Fan favorite, but don’t insult the other guys by saying he is the best singer.

7. Dr.Funbags Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:20 am

Ever think that INXS gave Marty and JD those “hit” songs as a going away present – poor MiG doesn’t have a hit song – he’s gonna have a whole album and back catalog of them!!

8. kim Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 12:09 pm

Mig can’t sing the back catalog of INXS songs as he really doesn’t have the right voice for them. His voice cracked when he sang “What you need”. He is a nice guy and all but, definately not suited to this band. Marty is a screamer and a control freak – so he’s out. Talk about a guy who doesn’t play well with others. He wants to take over INXS not blend in. He needs his own band. This leaves JD whom in my opinion has been the correct choice all along. He has the correct voice for the songs and he does want to be a part of the band.

9. Theo Hamer Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 1:06 pm

anyone who does not think INXS picked JD before they shot an episode is an idiot. You are probably the same people who think that tool Navarro is cool. His phony reactions to performers, who aren’t “right for INXS” is the worst acting since anything Ashton Kutcher has ever done. I have watched every show because it is such a train wreck, but I don’t believe for a second that they are waiting until tonight to make their choice. And, JD will quit the band before a year is up, when he realizes no one cares about them anymore, especially without Michael.

10. WayneF Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 1:11 pm

I think JD is the right choice. He has the right sound, style, musicality and he definitely wants to be a part of the band. I never found his personality to be that off-putting, just a little wierd. But I think he’s a excellent performer, a solid singer and a pretty good songwriter. While I like Mig, his original songs just didn’t sound like INXS at all. And neither did Marty’s. He has his own unique style and I wouldn’t want him to alter it for INXS.

11. Carla Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 2:20 pm

If INXS choses JD-iva, I won’t be buying their next CD. His talent just doesn’t overshadow his personality for me. The band will have to calculate how much they’ll be spending out of their earnings for a babysitter before they decide if JD’s worth it.

12. Zeke Seedless Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 2:27 pm

I figure Suzie and Dave Navarro will get together and cut a single.

13. Oh please! Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 2:57 pm

Oh Please Carla! Are you for real?!

How exactly do you profess to know JD’s personality anyway? This is REALITY TV sweetheart….you got to see exactly what MB wanted you to see.

If you think for a minute you’ve gotten to know these people REALLY…then that is just sad.

14. Carla Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 3:25 pm

TO: Oh, please — OH PLEASE !!!!!I meant JD’s STAGE personality. Obviously, I don’t know any of them, nor do I ever expect to. NOR DO YOU! But then I don’t know ANY of the bands whose stage performances and music I truly enjoy. I’m just as entitled to my opinion and my perceptions as you are. It’s “just sad” that you seem to have no tolerance for any opinion but your own – and I’ll bet that opinion is pretty accurate!

15. Canuck Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 4:10 pm

I’d just like to say that the Canadian boy – JD is gonna win tonight, and INXS will live again!!

16. Canuck Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 4:11 pm

I’d just like to say that the Canadian boy JD is gonna win tonight, and INXS will live again!!

17. Canadian Gal Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 4:25 pm

JD is definitely the best all around fit. JD honestly has a passion for INXS music that the others have not demonstrated. Marty is too controlling and opinionated to develop a lasting working relationship. By the way,JD IS very good looking, whereas MiG just THINKS that he is. MiG’s broadway/West End background comes out in the deliveries of this style of music. GO JD GO!!

18. Anonymous Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 5:20 pm

I cannot wait to sit my butt on the couch to watch this tonight. I don’t care about all the naysayers. I love this show. And I love JD. He is above and beyond the best fit.

19. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 5:51 pm

I have decided not to look for a spoiler, the suspense will kill me but a spoiler is just that – will spoil it!

I agree that the winner has been decided and won’t depend on tonight’s show, but I just can’t decide on who it is.

JD is the mega-favourite (and I will be crushed if he wins, altho he has grown on me) but I can’t write MiG (my favourite) off – I think we have all been mislead by the “edited for TV” part of it.

I think Marty is terrific but “not roight fer ah bend INXS”..so I will eagerly await the Lovehammers new release once he rejoins them.. but if he does win, that will be a good result too.

20. Shannon Gallaway Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 6:18 pm

I’m sitting here pretending that I’m NOT looking for a spoiler :b as I am in Australia. I just hope and pray that Mig wins!
    But I agree that JD probably has the best chance – I’ve d/l that damn song from all three performances and I LOVE IT, it is the perfect choice for a killer single. Oh and the band HAD/HAS decided before the finale – the single is being released here on Thursday morning, and the finale is screened on Wednesday night…..definitely not enough time to burn it/case it/ship it!

21. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 7:07 pm

So Shannon are you going to find out or not?? I am in Aus too and had decided not to find out but I think I am going to, I am just too weak not to try to find out! And I want to be prepared for disappointment tonight…

22. MagpieA. Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 7:45 pm

This senior citizen has grown to love this series and the talent is absolutely great with respect to each ones differences. Tonight shall be truly fine and I am hoping that the band will see JD for himself and know that he would not fit in as a long run performer with the band.

23. Dana Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 8:50 pm

Originally I thought that Marty was the ONLY choice for the lead singer of INXS, and did’nt pay much attention to JD. He was someone in the background, who I thought was a bit of a trouble maker, but watching him over the past few weeks, he has really blossomed into a singer to be reckoned with. He blows me away!! JD is the better choice, as not only is he gorgeous, talented, and has a wonderfully sexy voice, but he sings INXS songs the best out of all three of them. Mig is too theatrical and polished, while Marty is too grunge rock and a screamer, which is definately not the INXS style.

24. D Daniels Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 9:13 pm

I am afraid I feel the same but I hope JD is not chosen.

I will not continue following the band

I will awaiting Mig and Marty and Susie and actually even Jordis new beginings

25. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 9:49 pm

Oh no, I found a spoiler. They are down to 2 apparently. Not looking good.

26. meeschk Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:06 pm

..and now its all over red rover.. bad bad result for me. Really sad and disappointed with the inevitable, predictable result. Not going to watch the show tonight, couldn’t stomach the winner’s gloating reaction..

Nice chatting to y’all.

27. yam Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:15 pm

From impersonations of Elvis to Michael Hutchenson… You guessed it JD gets the pick as the band decides they want someone that will sound like the dead one. Guess that means I don’t have to buy and more INXS CDs…And I really don’t think it would be a good idea to have Marty open for INXS on tour as the INXS guy said. He would steal their thunder.

28. belle Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:19 pm

THERE IS A GOD !! AND HIS NAME IS J.D. THE FRONT MAN FOR INXS

29. Ian Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:20 pm

JD’s reaction to winning was priceless. He wanted to be a part of INXS and his face showed it. I do agree however that INXS knew they wanted JD probably since the beginning. Lets face it, it’s all about putting asses in seats, and no one else will fill out venues like JD.

Good choice, Marty a close second and in an ideal scenario Ty would have been battling it out with both of them tonight.

Cheers.

30. baddog Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 10:33 pm

Loved the show. Watched every week. Had high hopes that INXS wanted to start moving forward again. As Suzie and Marty (the only two capable of accomplishing this with the band) were cast aside, I now realize what I should have always known — INXS has become five old farts looking for a lackey lead singer they can drag around to sing the back catalog. Cheers to J.D. and INXS! They deserve each other.

31. Crocodile Hunter Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:01 pm

Without offence to the other contestants or the intention of starting a world war… are there any other Aussies who feel a little bit cheated, like INXS didn’t stay true or that they sold out?

With great bands like Silverchair, Killing Heidi, Powderfinger and tons more, is MiG really the only Australian rocker capable of matching it with the other contestants (esp. JD!)??

I don’t think they looked hard enough.

32. Too Old Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:07 pm

It’s clear some people took this a bit too seriously. What’s with the bitterness? It’s only music for chrissakes.

JD is a good choice, although I still doubt I’ll buy anything by INXS. I got Listen Like Thieves when it came out, and haven’t bothered since. INXS has always been Rock Lite – a bit of good fun.

The real question is, where’s the encore? Is there another famous band looking for a singer? It was refreshing to watch a show like this, that is, one featuring good music, instead of the nonsense on American Idol.

33. Ian Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:13 pm

I agree, Too Old. I have heard some posters mention Rockstar Van Halen and Rockstar Nirvana.

Maybe Rockstar: Grateful Dead

LOL

34. Brianne Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:17 pm

Well, JD found what he was searching for and I feel he deserved it more than anyone. He’s experienced a rollercoaster ride these past few months; fights with fellow competetors, “Villian” editing, being “attacked” in an interview, “Pick on JD interventions” on the Performance/Results shows,BEFORE he had to PERFORM. So if he didn’t win after all of THAT… But he did win, so I guess I have to agree that maybe he was “pre-selected”. Maybe they knew that, performance-wise,he was the one they wanted all along (he does sound the most like Michael),but they weren’t sure about him on a personal level, so they made the editors make him look bad and told the interviewer to “hit a nerve”, and everything, as a way to TEST him, to see not only how strong he is and how much he could take before he cracks (If you ask me, the man’s a “Weeble”. He wobbles, but he doesn’t fall down:P), but how badly he wanted this and how much he was willing to take to get it. But, if that was the case, I guess he passed:).

The only thing that upsets me is that I was hoping it would come down to JD and MiG:(. I like Marty,and all, but I wish MiG could’ve opened for them on their tour. I loved him and JD since the beginning and they were so close and I got so used to seeing them together that it hurts me to see them split up:(. They were like Wayne and Garth to me, so that really sucks. But I’m really happy for JD (and, I guess, for Marty) and only hope that his and MiG’s paths cross again someday.

35. Mick Bowie Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:21 pm

Marty.. all I can say is I remember when Guns & Roses opened for Ted Nugent.

Marty you will follow the same path and become Rocks next 2 pump chump.

Enjoy the ride good thing you have that college education.

As for INXS, tell me where I send the VanHagar trophy.

What a bunch of old fat tub-o-gut schmucks with a punk Elvis re-du.

en-fu said.

36. Too Old Says:
    September 20th, 2005 at 11:26 pm

Rock Star Grateful Dead – now that WOULD bring out the geezers.

37. Jenn Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 12:01 am

I hate JD he was so snobby in the first few episodes too bad they picked him. Good luck to Marty! By the way who is INXS?

38. brock donlan Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 12:06 am

I know that j.d was a bit snobby at first but i think he has changed to a person who throught he could not win with all these singers in his way but he took everything he learnt and he does have a great voice like michell but also he does have that additude as well of michell so good luck j.d and your success and make inxs be born again.

39. brock donlan Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 12:11 am

also mig and marty and suzie you will all have a great solo career and i’ll be the first to by one of your albumbs and j.d please don’t redo any of the inxs in your voice make your own and people will be happy for you and please put your song pretty vages on the first new inxs album or single it’s a awsome song

40. Lynn Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 8:14 pm

I was speechless last night. Does INXS have early Alzheimers? What were they thinking? How could they choose such a dork to front their band? JD is an Elvis wanna-be. Every song he sings sounds the exact same. He has no diversity, and no passion. And, he’s a jerk. He was playing games “Survior Style” while the other musicians were helping each other. JD is not a team player. He’s selfish. You can’t be selfish when you’re in a band. A band is a team sport. I give INXS one year together, tops. I am just blown away that they didn’t choose either Mig or Marty. INXS, I will never buy another one of your CDs again!

41. Anonymous Says:
    September 21st, 2005 at 10:15 pm

JD the best choice. A perfect front man I knew from the moment I saw him he was perfect for INXS.
    Way to Go Guys you will all kick ass and take names again!!!!!!!
    LOve your music!!!!!!!!!
    A true fan!!!

42. tAniA Says:
    September 23rd, 2005 at 2:25 am

All u ppl dissing JD – give it a rest already!!! It was SO obvious from the very beginning that he’s the PERFECT match for the BAND. U gotta look at the overall package – not just singing. JD has a stage presence and this charisma that makes everyone pay attention, even – especially – the haters. AND, honestly ppl, do u really think that we saw ANY of the contestants’ REAL personalities? Come on – it’s called PROVOKING and EDITING. Finally, JD is simply HOT (whoever says otherwise is just too consumed with their hatred). Yes, MiG is cute, but JD is HOTTT. And, if you really paid attention, u’d have noticed that JD WANTED this much more than any of the others. His reaction on stage would be very difficult to fake. So there. He DESERVED it.

43. baddog Says:
    September 24th, 2005 at 4:24 pm

I finally get it. After my 5 and 9 year olds saw a tape of the final show they both pointed out that JD is the best, deserved to win and they will buy their new CD and tour tickets!

They also pointed out that I should have known it was JD even before INXS announced it. I asked them how they knew and they told me that the final song INXS gave Marty was a message. “Don’t Change,” Marty. Keep being the person and singer you are. You may not be rought fa ar bend: INXS, but you’re pretty good. They also told me to think about the song they gave JD. “What You Need” is INXS and what INXS needs is JD.

They went on to point out that INXS gave Marty a Goo Goo Dolls song and they gave JD INXS’s biggest hit to sing. They said, “Dad, don’t you get it!? DUH!”

44. Ann Says:
    October 25th, 2005 at 10:30 pm

They both sang INXS songs – Marty sang “Don’t Change”, which was arguably an even bigger hit than the song JD got, “What you need”.

Comments