Will There Be Another Rock Star: INXS?

September 25, 2005 11:03 PM by Joe Blackmon

Since there is only one INXS, it would stand to reason that Rock Star: INXS would be a one-run reality TV series.  However, Mark Burnett Productions is considering a second season of Rock Star.  Of course unless J.D. Fortune and INXS part ways between now and then, we are assuming that the second season of Rock Star will feature a different band.

Rock Star already has a website page up for season two.  The Rock Star season two web page asks “Do you have what it takes to hold a stage, to front a world-class band, to headline a world tour?”  There is also an address where potential rock stars can submit video and audio clips.

According to the Edmonton Sun, Mark Burnett mentioned the possibility of using “groups like Queen or Van Halen” for season two.  Burnett also brought up the possibility of the creation of "a brand new super group."

Which band would you like to see in a second season of Rock Star?  Post your suggestions in our comments section below.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for ROCK STAR: INXS news.  For other great Rock Star: INXS news, please also check out SirLinksALot: ROCK STAR: INXS.

Topics: Rock Star: INXS |

41 Responses to “Will There Be Another Rock Star: INXS?”

1. a Says:
    September 25th, 2005 at 11:46 pm

nirvana

2. Brianne Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 3:43 am

I read somewhere that Jerry Cantrell was wanting to find another singer and bring back Alice in Chains, so that’s a thought.

But a general rock star Rock Star would be an idea too,though,because then they’d actually be looking for the best singer (like American Idol), instead of who fits in best with the given band or reminds everyone of the former singer, you know? I mean, I’m glad that JD won Rock Star: INXS because he was my pick, since he seemed the most like Michael Hutchence. But there were other amazing performers (MiG, Marty, Jordis…)too who just “weren’t right for the band”.So a more generalized show would probably be more fair.

PS If they just do like a general “So, you wanna be a Rock Star?”-type thing, maybe it could be hosted by Carson Daly and have Matt Pinnfield as a judge. Just a thought.

3. coyote Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 8:14 am

It will be harder to find a band like INXS the second time around. INXS is actually able to carry over their sound into today’s music by some simple adjustments. The dance rock sound they excel is fairly versatile. It will be harder for other bands who were stuck in a “genre”. For instance Van Halen – can anyone see today’s kids being excited about songs like “Panama”?

4. Heather Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 8:28 am

It should totally be Van Halen – they’ve been completely crap since DLR & SH. They’ve gone through lead singers like water…plus kids today may not know who they are but good lord can you imagine the ratings with Van Freakin Halen! The 25-50 crowd would clammer to the show – they actually had HITS and to have someone have the challenge of having to adapt to the DLR style as well as the SH style would be awesome!

5. Rick Jessup Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 12:05 pm

Blind Melon would be a good one – while they only had a few albums they still had a great sound and probably should have kept going after Hoon died. But Van Halen seems to be the obvious choice with a huge catalogue to choose from and a sound that’s probably still relevant today, with some minor changes.

6. Michael Huff Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 2:19 pm

Personally, I thought a great rock band that didn’t make it all the way because of their lead singer’s unpredictable behavior was Stone Temple Pilots. Sure, former lead singer Scott Weiland is still around. Currently fronting the hard rock supergroup Velvet Revolver, it would be hard to separate him from his current line-up of experienced, power-charged players. STP is a great band that needs an equally great lead singer, as well as show up for gigs sober. Again, this is a band that, like INXS, deserves another shot at rock immortality.

7. Michael Huff Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 2:22 pm

8. Michael Huff Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 2:23 pm

9. Lola Gabor Says:
    September 26th, 2005 at 2:27 pm

I’m really hoping for an original group. INXS worked as an anchor for this show because the group still has a substantial level of mass appeal. Bands like Queen and Van Halen are so over I’m not sure who would watch the show.

The other strange thing about season 2 of this show is that this time around the applicants don’t know what band they’re auditioning for–that’s a strange way to hunt for someone who is going to be the “right fit.”
    Lola: http://realityeffect.com

10. Deb Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 7:18 am

A new band–that would be the way to go. I will not watch if they do the whole come back thing.
    INXS was a disaster with the choice of JD.

However, I would watch again if they went for the creation of a band.

11. SlappyJones Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 9:29 pm

INXS was a disaster?That’s just a stupid comment.JD Fortune will make INXS bigger than they were ever before they were/are more of an international band.

They weren’t very big in the US but now I think they will be.

Chicks want sleep with JD and guys want to be him.

I wish I could have the success that this “disaster” is going to have.

12. Jamie Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 9:30 am

I’m not so sure he could even be replaced…but I would love to see Sublime reemerge.

13. freakgrrrrrl Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 3:10 pm

I highly doubt guys want to be JD.

14. AdreamAngel Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 8:55 pm

For RS:Band?, they need to pick a band from the roots ROCK generation. Most of the people who watched RS:INXS were rocker people from the ’70s, ’80′s and ’90s’s. This age group is DYING for MORE “roots” style ROCK. We want to hear and see star quality amazing musicianship and LIVE talent. I really liked the show but I’d love to see more ROCK than Top 40. INXS is a great Top 40 band but not ROCK in the sense of Queen, Van Halen, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, etc. You can’t pick a band like STP because that is too hard core for prime time. I agree that I would LOVE that but it isn’t prudent in terms of ratings & viewership. INXS was a successful crossover commercial, Top 40 band. So it was a good start. But from what I’m seeing on the RS:INXS message boards, it’s time for a mainstream, friendly edgy rock band that would be more in line with what baby boomers could sink their teeth into. People in the 35-55 age range are OUT THERE buying records and watching VH1 and going to concerts. They aren’t dead yet, and they are craving rock. The proof is, the Stones are still successfully touring. The baby boomers have the best digital stereos and television equipment around and LIVE for great music on tv. RS:INXS gave us a taste and a chance to hear and rediscover some of those great old classics sung by other rockers, again. Songs written DECADES before INXS. And yet, not the “Idol” worship of amateur children singing our grandparent’s music. Bring on Van Halen, Queen or just make it a rockstar SINGER competition! With NO age limits!

15. Phillip Molly Malone Says:
    September 28th, 2005 at 9:36 pm

Has to be Queen!
    Molly

16. blah Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 2:17 am

I really think season 2 of Rockstar should follow the same format. There’s plenty of bands out there that could be reunited and would have mass appeal. Alice In Chains has to be the most obvious choice. They still play together once in a while with guest singers and would jump at the chance to do this. Some people said STP, but really STP is all about Scott Weiland. They’re just one of those bands that having a new lead singer would seem out of place.

17. Kelly Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 2:40 am

I’m thinking of auditioning for season 2. Personally, I think creating a new band would be best. Filling a spot of another narrows the field too much! I’m a chick and I wanna rock! My own way!

18. Anonymous Says:
    September 29th, 2005 at 3:23 pm

Queen has already replaced Freddie….Paul Rodgers is on tour with them right now.

19. Eric Says:
    October 1st, 2005 at 11:16 am

Creating an entire new band or picking a soloist would be stupid for this show. Just watch “Making the Band” or “American Idol” if you want that. The very idea of picking a frontperson for an existing, but singer-less band is what makes this unique to begin with. ROCK soloists are pretty boring in a lot of cases. It’s just a matter of which group isn’t to big for their britches because there are plenty of singer-less bands out there. I don’t think beggars can be choosers either. A record deal is a record deal and for an unsigned rocker this might be their best shot so it’s not that weird to sign up to try out when you don’t know the format of the next edition.

20. Levi Says:
    October 1st, 2005 at 11:12 pm

Season One : Find a singer for INXS

Season Two : Find a singer for the House Band!!!

21. tm Says:
    October 2nd, 2005 at 7:01 pm

As much as I love Queen, they cannot go on a reality show. Freddie Mercury is too sacreda frontman,

22. Jeff Says:
    October 3rd, 2005 at 3:25 am

I loved the show! J.D. was my pick to go all the way. Here’s an idea what about creed? I loved there music and I could see an reimergence if the got a new lead singer for today’s genre.

23. reg Says:
    October 3rd, 2005 at 8:15 pm

RockStar: Van Halen for sure, but how about RockStar: GNR (Guns ‘N Roses)?

These would rock {:=}===::

24. Naomi Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 2:59 am

Well it won’t be Def Lepard! They call the guys from INXS celebrity whores!

25. Naomi Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 3:02 am

Yeah Levi, the house band rocked! Dave Navaro also said that Raphael was one of the best guitarist in the world. I believe him.

26. Naomi Says:
    October 4th, 2005 at 3:07 am

Me again!

Can’t be Nirana! Kirk Cobain is passed and Dave Groel is in the Foo Fighters making a load of money! That leaves the one member! Can’t remember his name, so sorry die hard Nirvana fans!

27. Tj Says:
    October 6th, 2005 at 11:58 am

I was an avid watcher of American idol, and then came ROCK STAR!
    I was very impressed and actually amazed to see so many female rockers. What this generation needs is another female rocker!
    The fact that INXS is, and should be fronted by a male leaves season 2 open for the girls. DO IT!
    Rockin GIRLZILLA`S batteling it out on stage…twist..I think yes…different from the first…I think WAY.
    A&R guy`s…get ready…The girls are comin out to play. Imagine….you would have all the guys watching in hopes for a Rock n Roll Queen, and the girls…well..HELLO?

Tj

28. Tj Says:
    October 6th, 2005 at 12:01 pm

How about No Doubt…they lost gwen, and they did have alot of potential…love to see a rocked out No Doubt!…in your face gwen.

Tj

29. whatever Says:
    October 8th, 2005 at 2:58 am

rockstar:houseband sounds good

30. Hali Says:
    October 8th, 2005 at 12:03 pm

I’d really like to see another band of the same calibre as the original GNR–a band fronted by a heavy-weight lyricist and composer like front-man and consummate rocker Axl Rose, a band that resonates unabated genius with everything song they produce–be it cover or original. GNR was so much more than stage chemistry and eye-candy, these guys worked their audience as if they were their date for the entire performance; even the most apathetic among us were rocked–full tilt. Finally, GNR raised the “rocker” bar to such a degree that paltry few bands will ever match them much less better them.

31. Nancy Furlong Says:
    October 8th, 2005 at 5:38 pm

I think that they are going to have totry hard to top INXS. However the idea of an entirely new band is AWESOME! Idol but for actual musicians and writers. Bands that write and perform their own music is a GREAT idea! If not, GNR or Journey are both great options.

32. Diezel Says:
    October 12th, 2005 at 4:36 pm

Nancy,

Journey already has a lead singer, and a good one at that. His name is Steve Augeri and he’s been an official member of the band since 1998. They’ve been touring the world and put out 3 awesome studio albums with Augeri as their vocalist. In fact, they are touring now – I just saw them in concert last month and it was one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen in the 20 + years I’ve been going to concerts. Also, Journey has a brand new album coming out in October called “Generations”. I have a copy and its truly outstanding.

As for Van Halen, I highly doubt they would do the show. For one, Sammy Hagar is already their vocalist. If Eddie would clean up his act, they would be producing new material as I speak. For those of you that don’t know, Edward Van Halen has a severe drinking problem and can’t stay sober long enough to record a new album, let alone be on a TV show critiquing a new singer. Who wants to hear a drunk guy giving his opinion on live televion? Oh wait a minute… they already did that. It was called “The Osbournes”!

Queen would be nice, but they seem to be doing well with Paul Rodgers right now.

The only original member of Guns N’ Roses is Axl Rose and he owns the rights to the band name. I seriously doubt that he’d relinquish it in order to have someone else replace him. In fact, he’s been in the studio for the past 10 years working on a GnR album with a bunch of no-name talent. So, as for them appearing on this show, that’s not going to happen.

Alice In Chains and STP sound like great ideas. I’ve never heard an official statement from Gwen Steffani that she’s left No Doubt. Just because someone puts out a solo record, doesn’t always mean they’ve quit thier origianl band.

Sublime is only subpar. They’re not good enough to have a show on prime time.

The house band is awesome, they should hire Marty as thier vocalist and open up for INXS on the upcoming tour. Raphael is a good guitarist, too! But what’s up with his pseudo-mohawk haircut? That looks like crap, man. Either go all the way with a real mohawk or get a haircut, Raph. That’s not a hair do, it’s a hair don’t!

Speaking of musicians… who says it necessarily has to be a lead singer. What about doing a show that auditions either a new guitarist, bassist, drummer or keyboardist? That would be interesting. Can you think of any groups that are in need of a new musician? I can think of a few…

33. Diezel Says:
    October 12th, 2005 at 4:40 pm

Also, Creed has basically changed their name to After Bridge (or something like that) and put out a new album with a new singer. Its all the original members of Creed sans Scott Stapp, the singer. I doubt they’d be doing the show either.

34. Gigi Says:
    October 14th, 2005 at 11:49 pm

Personally I just want to know where Marty and Mig went. I will NOT be seeing Rock Star INXS in concert….JD is the last person I would pay to see :(

35. Kevin Blake Travis-remember the Alamo Says:
    October 20th, 2005 at 5:25 pm

I think that Van Halen is the greatest collection of musicians in the world.I also feel that they would increase the ratings for the show, but do you really think that they would do the show. They just had a really good reunion tour, and they do not need this show. They have 3 new songs anyway. Ed wants to complete an album, but no one else wants to. Ed is the best in the known world playing, except maybe for yngwie. There is an idea. Rock Star- Yngwie Malmsteen’s Rising Force. If the producers would like to talk to me about who is new and talented, call me (409)935-1980×426, I am able to advise you well. As for Van Halen, great idea if they will do it. What about Blue October, they are a really good band from Houston. I think that Van Halen or Yngwie are great ideas for a good ratings show.

36. Stan Says:
    October 21st, 2005 at 11:48 am

Bring on the DOORS. Yes they’re old, but they have a cult following that spans multiple generations. And their musicianship is tops. Replacing a rock legend like Jim Morrison would be interesting.

37. Amanda Says:
    January 3rd, 2006 at 7:06 pm

I think No Doubt, Blind Mellon or STP. They may not have a big catalogue but it just might be more interesting to hear those songs from a different perspective, not to mention reviving some really good rock. I don’t think there’s a good chance of a female getting picked for Van Halen.

38. Angi Says:
    January 17th, 2006 at 10:06 pm

FREAKGRRRRRL you took the words right out of my mouth. That’s why I watched, it wasn’t an american/canadian idol wannabe, it was rock n roll as it used to be!!!! Queen, Van Halen, bring them ALL on!!! I can’t wait!!!!!

39. Josh Says:
    February 8th, 2006 at 3:42 pm

It will not be STP, they are currently in a new band called Army of Anyone. The band will be the DeLeo brothers, Richard Patrick from Filter is the Lead Singer, and Ray Luzier from the David Lee Roth band as the Drummer. I seriously doubt that they would do the show when they are focused on their new band.

40. isaac Says:
    February 17th, 2006 at 4:45 pm

i’d like to see alice in chains

41. Anonymous Says:
    September 13th, 2006 at 10:52 am

Yeh! Why is it always about auditioning vocalists?

Are there not any rock bands out there that need keyboard players anymore?

And are musicians that much of a dime a dozen nowadays and outstanding vocalists so rare that the whole world has been set a stage for them to sing on?

It remains to be an unanswered topic for some odd reason.

Comments