Laguna Beach Renewed For Third Season, New Spin-off Called 8th & Ocean

October 08, 2005 10:36 PM by Joe Blackmon

MTV: Music Television recently announced the greenlight for a third season of the hit series “Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County,” returning in 2006.  The network also greenlit new reality drama series “8th & Ocean,” set to premiere in Q1 ’06.

From the team behind MTV’s genre-bending series “Laguna Beach,” “8th & Ocean” will capture the real lives of the cast but will have the look and feel of a scripted drama.  Telling the story of 10 young male and female models living together in a beachfront apartment complex while enduring the cut-throat world of fashion, this reality drama is shot in the style of a narrative film, but with an “indie edge.”  There are no interviews or confessionals – the stories are told purely through probing camerawork, eclectic music and unscripted dialogue.

Every year thousands of potential models converge on the sun-drenched, bikini-clad town of South Beach, Miami with the hopes of making it big.  Drama unfolds when competitive and interpersonal relationships heat up as these aspiring models hustle off to casting calls, sexy photo shoots and client go-sees while enjoying the seductive South Beach scene.  Their agency, Irene Marie, a pioneer in the modeling industry in South Beach, and its booking agents work to guide these naÃve and often self-doubting models in the hopes of turning them into successful pros.  Underneath their flawless looks lies a bed of insecurity, uncertainty and apprehension about succeeding in this new world, but ultimately only the strong will survive.

All living in agency-owned apartments, the models work to make their dreams come true while dealing with the highs and lows of this demanding business.  And with six girls in one apartment and four guys in another, competition and emotions are sure to boil over in these tight quarters.

"’Laguna Beach’s’ winning blend of fly-on-the-wall teen drama and artfully shot entertainment has truly connected with our audience,” said Brian Graden, President, Entertainment MTV Music Group and President, Logo.  “’8th & Ocean’ will build upon this distinctive method of storytelling with a compelling cast of models striving to succeed on the sands of South Beach.”

“Our goal with ’8th & Ocean’ is to pull back the curtains on this seemingly glamorous business and present the real life drama of this dynamic group of young models,’” said Tony DiSanto, Executive Producer for ‘Laguna Beach’ and ’8th & Ocean.’  “Like ‘Laguna Beach’ we are approaching the storytelling of ’8th & Ocean’ without the standard visual and structural conventions of reality television.   We are going for a unique cinematic style with a narrative which will allow the viewers to feel as though they are there, eavesdropping on the lives of these up-and-coming models.”

Heralded by numerous critics, “Laguna Beach” has proven to be not just a ratings winner, but also a franchise success for the network.  Through 11 weeks, the second season of “Laguna Beach” has reached over 73 million viewers (P2+) and is the most watched program in its time period (Mon 10-10:30pm) among P12-24 across all of television, even out-delivering broadcast.  In addition, the first season DVD is one of the top selling TV on DVD’s this year, selling more than 300,000 units to-date.  Since the second season premiere, MTV.com’s site-wide traffic for “Laguna Beach” content has generated more than 90 million page views to-date, while “Laguna Beach: The After Show” served nearly 6.3 million streams on the broadband video channel MTV Overdrive.

The season finale of “Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County” is scheduled for Monday, November 14 at 10:00PM (ET/PT).

“8th & Ocean” was created by Liz Gateley.  Tony DiSanto, Liz Gateley, Andrew Hoegl and Jonathan Singer are Executive Producers.  Billy Taylor serves as Co-Executive Producer.  Nicole Vorias serves as the Development Executive for “8th & Ocean.”  George McTeague is Supervising Producer.

Topics: Laguna Beach |

18 Responses to “Laguna Beach Renewed For Third Season, New Spin-off Called 8th & Ocean”

1. cara Says:
    November 1st, 2005 at 12:02 pm

omg lc im so sry i kno how much u loved jason i cant blame u he is so hot!!!!!

2. Erica Perkins Says:
    November 14th, 2005 at 11:17 pm

I loved the show but will like to see kristin and stephen together again, also lauren and jason, i think those two cpouples were cute together and made me cry when they broke up.

3. Karen Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 11:57 am

Jason is kind of hot (he is too hairy and no muscle, but a cute face). I think everybody knows that Lauren was way to good for him. LC is beautiful, smart and descent girl, unlike her opponent, Kristin who is a jealous, manipulative and short girl. I loved the show, it was very entertaining.

4. paige talbot Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 12:03 pm

HEY IAM A HUGE LAUGNA FAN ! IAM VERY UP-SET TO SEE THAT THERE ALL GOIN TO COLLAGE AND THERES GOIN TO BE A KNEW CAST BECAUSE IT WONT EVER BE THE SAME WITH OUT THE OLD ONES I LOVE KRISTIN LC JESSICA MORGAN JAS TALAN STEVEN ALL OF THEM BUT IAM GLAD TO FIND OUT THAT THERES GOIN TO BE A KNEW HIT SERIES THE HILLS ! AND I ALSO LIKE THE IDEA OF LAURENS LIL SIS BEING IN THE KNEW SERIES! WATCHING EVERY EPISODE AND NEVER MISSING ONE MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I KNO THEM LAST NIGHT WHEN I SAW IT I WAS CRYIN SOOOOO HARD WELL BYE 14333

5. paige talbot Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 12:03 pm

6. paige talbot Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 12:03 pm

7. Kallyn Says:
    November 15th, 2005 at 7:19 pm

Orange county is awsome. I love Laguna. its awsome. the girls arent that pretty and the boys arent that cute but the drama that goes on makes me laugh. I really don’t like kristen & If she becomes famous Its annoying because she doesnt even look famous. LC is pretty though.. she can pass for a celeb. but besides that all orange county rocks .. I hate living in LA!!

8. SUZETTE ROBESON Says:
    November 16th, 2005 at 5:59 pm

I AM REALLY UPSET THAT THE LAGUNA BEACH IS OVER I REALLY ENJOYED EVERY EPISODE THAT WAS ON I AM REALLY SAD TO SEE ALL OF THEM GOING TO COLLEGE. BUT I AM VERY HAPPY 4 THEM IM REALLY GOING TO MISS THEM ALL( TALAN KRISTEN STEPHEN LC JESSICA JASON A.K.A J WALL ALEX M. ALEX H TAYLOR DIETER CEDRIC) AND THE REST OF THE CAST THEY WERE ALL SO GREAT. I AM REALLY EXCITED TO SEE THaT THERE IS GOING TO BE A KNEW SEASON AND THEN THE NEW SHOW KNOWN AS THE HILLS LOOKS REALLY AWSOME EVEN THOUGH THINGS ARENT GOING TO BE THE SAME WITH THE KNEW CAST IM PRETTY SURE THAT IM GOING TO ENJOY IT. I AM REALLY GOING TO MISS ALL THE OTHER CAST I CRIED THE LAST EPISODE SO HOPE THIS NEW ONE DOES THE SAME 4 ME AND HOPE THAT THE HILL DOES TO HOPE TO SEE THE KNEW SEASON TO!!!!!!!!!!

9. heather Says:
    November 22nd, 2005 at 10:19 pm

i hate 2 see that kristin or jessica or ne of the ppl i see will be on the show nemore i mean laguna beach is like my fav show eve but when i saw lauren wus getting her own show i bout fainted i couldnt believe she wuld get her own show over kristin but i really hate this new season bc i dont noe ne of the kids

10. bakabon Says:
    December 12th, 2005 at 3:28 am

Aku adalah anak gembala selalu riang serta gembira karena aku senang bekerja tak pernah malas ataupun lelah lalalalalalalalallalalalalalalalala2x

11. Danielle Says:
    December 19th, 2005 at 8:58 am

omggggg i love laguna beach sooo much without a doubt and im so pissed to see that the show is over for the cast. The cast of season one and two were freakin awesome, it couldnt of gotten any better. I hope the third season is good but it would be nice to see how everyone from the old cast is doing. MTV should do special on them to see how they are.. LC, Kristin, Stephen, Talan, and Jason… i love you all!!!

12. amk Says:
    December 29th, 2005 at 3:30 pm

I heard that Jason and LC are going out. Stephen and Jason live together. Kristin and Alex H. were living together, but got into a fight so there like not friends right now. Kristin is dating Brody Jenner.d Alex H., Jessica, AlexM. i know are going to be in Season 3. Kristin i don’t think will because she has her own TV Show and Stephen I think hasn’t decide if he is going to be on Season 3. He’s like to busy

13. becca Says:
    February 27th, 2006 at 9:00 pm

Omg I love Laguna Beach. It was my favorite show. I was so upset when the season was over. I was so mad when i found out Jessica and Jason didnt end up together. They were so ment for eachother. Jessica and Jason are my favorite and im so sad the show is over. I dont think i will like the 3rd season as much as the first 2.

14. Ally Says:
    March 8th, 2006 at 3:57 pm

OMG! I am trying to figure out a song..You know when Britt was at the girls’ apartment and that song was playing!! I love it! And I am trying to figure out who sings it please help!!

15. none Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 6:42 pm

i happy to hear that season three sucks so all the stupid tourists and fans of Laguna BEach get out. I hate the idiots who are total wannabes of the show. Its okay if you watch it just get a life and get over it. ITS A TV SHOW FOR CHRISTS SAKE. Get MTV to come to your town and see how you like it. Maybe you can convince your principal to get MTV to film on your highschool ground. Somehow i dont think you would like it then. Brianna is Laurens little sister and she is not at all like the MTV makes her appear. Common its truly a freaking “reality show” . GET OVER THE STUPID SHOW AND GROW UP!!!!!

16. Mary Says:
    July 3rd, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Hi!I´m writting from Argentina, I just wanna say that I LoVe LaGuNa!!!and that is the best reality of MTV.good bye!!!

17. LeAnn Says:
    August 13th, 2006 at 9:34 am

well.. the second season was the best to me.. there was alot of tears and alot of laughter in that season with that crew.. and just to see that the third season is just with different people nd with a whole different scenario, i cant bare to watch it.. they might as well just cancel laguna beach now! ahh! i cant believe they took away Kristin! Jessica! Lauren! Stephen! oh gosh come on! i dont think ill like the 3rd season.. sorry. =/

18. Superman Says:
    May 31st, 2007 at 1:13 pm

will 8th & ocean be back for a 2nd season?

Comments