Roush Racing: Driver X Premieres On Discovery

October 23, 2005 11:01 PM by Joe Blackmon

Twenty-three tenacious young men.  Two determined young women.  Two 3,400 pound race trucks with 750 horsepower.  Two of the toughest racetracks on the NASCAR circuit.  Seventeen judges, including legendary NASCAR team owner Jack Roush, scrutinizing their every move.  The prize?  One of the most sought-after jobs in racing – a fully-sponsored ride on the Roush Racing team in the 2006 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.  Discovery Channel was granted unprecedented access to this closely guarded competition to show viewers, for the first time ever, what happens on the track – and off – in Jack Roush’s “Gong Show.”  Discovery Channel’s weekly series, ROUSH RACING DRIVER X, premieres October 24 at 8 PM (ET/PT).

For the last 20 years, Jack Roush has hosted the Gong Show, a process he used to find such top racers as Robby Gordon and last year’s NEXTEL Cup Champion Kurt Busch.  Competing race teams and fans alike have always wondered how Jack Roush picks such successful drivers.  For the first time ever, viewers will see what goes into the making of a NASCAR superstar on ROUSH RACING DRIVER X.

“Only Discovery Channel can put viewers into the passenger seat of a race truck at top speed as well as into the evaluation room where the real decisions – and drivers’ futures – are made,” said Jane Root, General Manager for Discovery Channel.  “Each episode will give viewers a never before seen look into what goes on behind the scenes, from the science of the race trucks to the determination of the athletes – in the nation’s number one spectator sport.”

“Kurt Busch, last year’s NEXTEL Cup champion, won our Gong Show in 1999,” said Jack Roush.  “We plan on finding that next talented driver again this year.  Our unique competition was conceived to find a champion, not for TV.  This show will be totally genuine and totally Roush."

The grueling three-week contest is a battery of rapid succession tests that challenge competitors’ physical and mental strengths, as well as their media savvy and fan appeal.  On the track, drivers race on two of the most treacherous tracks on the NASCAR circuit – Martinsville Speedway and Darlington Raceway (known as “The Track too Tough to Tame”).  Viewers buckle up for the 150 mph ride with the aid of on-board HDTV cameras.

While drivers must make split-second decisions and endure extreme temperatures inside the vehicle, they must also endure extreme situations off the track, including acting in mock commercials and charming potential sponsors in a surprise meeting to prove they have what it takes to be NASCAR’s next superstar.

Viewers will go behind the scenes and hear what Jack Roush and his team of judges, from marketing gurus to NASCAR drivers, really think of the competitors as they whittle down the competition to choose just one lucky winner of the 2005 Gong Show competition.

Topics: Roush Racing: Driver X |

10 Responses to “Roush Racing: Driver X Premieres On Discovery”

1. Travis Dickes Says:
    October 31st, 2005 at 9:16 pm

I was just wondering how the guys for the show are chosen? I would love to give it a shot. I think it would be an awesome experience. It would also be nice to see someone make it from Nebraska.

Thanks,
    Travis Dickes

2. Travis Dickes Says:
    October 31st, 2005 at 9:17 pm

Thanks,
    Travis Dickes

3. Gentry Says:
    October 31st, 2005 at 9:38 pm

I to would like to know how these people are picked? Not interested in it for myself but do know a few drivers that would love a chance at it.
    Thanks for any information..
    Loved the show!!!!!!

4. Rebecca Stewart Says:
    November 8th, 2005 at 5:01 pm

What is the name of the person who portrays the driver in the Driver X Series of the Gong Show for Roush Racing ? Is he a real driver or a stuntman? I like the picture and the background! Thanks, Rebecca

5. Darrell Bowe Says:
    November 14th, 2005 at 8:33 pm

I would like to know how to get a chance to be on the driver-x show.I’ve been racing for 12yrs. started off in go-carts and now i’m in 4cyls. I’ve always wanted to drive a V-8,but really can’t afford it.I’ve helped work on V-8 cars. Thanks Darrell

6. terr berg jr Says:
    November 18th, 2005 at 12:23 pm

i am a pore race car driver been racing for ten years i would love to get a chance on the show how do i become contestant on the show thanks terry

7. Daniel Morris Says:
    November 21st, 2005 at 11:54 pm

It is my dream to be a Nascar driver. I woul love to have a chance to furfill my dream and be on Roush Racing Driver X!!! Sincerely yours,
    Daniel Morris

8. Brandon Arnette Says:
    March 14th, 2006 at 10:15 am

READ THIS…..I have won a racing competition in Lockport Ny against a wide array of drivers from DIRT and asphalt racing all over western NY. I have 250 laps on the Watkins Glen full-course as I have been with the BMW club and trackmasters. The car I drove was a 600 hp Mustang. I practiced on Salem Indiana with the Lincoln Welders Truck series(ARCA) I have been told by racing instructors that I have an aptitude for racing and should be racing professionally. I am a great package deal and I do believe that I can let my skills do the talking and win any competition(or at least be competitive ) in the Gong show or any other competition. I have capabilities that are far superiour to most. I can trailbrake, heel/toe and I have a great ability to follow someone infront of me and get around them. I am very skilled at tracks with a lot of turns. Please feel free to give me a call at 585-269-0771 and we can get things started. I had a $570,000 deal for Busch North Series. I am called Speedracer at the Glen. I have raced in Autocrossing. I have beaten track champions at their own tracks in their own cars with me outweighing them by 25 lbs. I seriously have a talent that needs to be exploited so if your reading this and know someone willing to put me in a competition then do it and do it fast!!! I am a walking money maker!!!! And winner in any class of racing. Furthermore I have the look, education, spokesperson skills, and very personable with everyone I meet. I challenge and encourage anyone who is willing to listen. It hasn’t been easy trying to become recognized for me so if your wondering why I’m not a full time racecar driver yet it’s because I wasn’t born into the sport and my parents didn’t have enough money to get me started in auto racing so I had to do it myself. I learned I had a talent at go kart tracks and I could figure the fundamentals and tricks at an early age; to be smooth, to set up for corners to shave off time, to go deeper and outbrake others and trailbrake to hold the car in the corner, etc etc. I beat Geoffrey and Barry Bodines times at Malibu Raceway in FLorida on a 350cc Go Kart track as well.Andy Santerre knows me and thinks I could do very well. Again I will reiterate that if your reading this and know someone IN THE GONG SHOW OR DRIVER X OR ANY OTHER SHOW INVOLVING RACING PUT ME ON TO THEM AND WE WILL MAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO WHATEVER LEVEL IS AVAILABLE.\\Thank You

BRANDON ARNETTE 585-269-0771
    NOW RESIDING IN LONG ISLAND NY

9. chris milner Says:
    April 30th, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Dear Driver Development Program,

My name is Chris Milner and very interested in a driving program. I’m a 30 year male with the need for speed. I would like to know how I could get started in racing. Let me tell you a little about me. I have grown up in central Illinois and watching the UMP dirt late models. When I was about 16 year old, I started racing 125cc motocross. I raced in till I was 20. I only stopped racing do to a bad accident that left me in the hospital with a blood clot and some broken bones. I have always had racing in my blood with my father taking me to the local dirt track. My father worked on a late model dirt car and I have been in racing in one way or another, or with my father in the pits or just at the track. Now I have a family and live in Florida working at Kennedy Space Center and all I think about is racing. I have a family to support and I would like to start racing aging.. I want to prove to someone that I can drive and drive well.

10. razak abdul Says:
    May 16th, 2006 at 10:03 am

please i want you to send me some things.

Comments