Randy Jackson Says American Idol 5 Has Interesting Fighting

December 17, 2005 01:11 AM by Joe Blackmon

Randy_jacksonAmerican Idol judge Randy Jackson recently answered questions from the media about the upcoming American Idol 5.  As would be expected, Jackson insisted that the talent for American Idol 5 is better than any other season.  What was more surprising is that Jackson said that there was quite a bit of “interesting fighting and dialogue going on amongst the contestants.”  Jackson also said “I think the kids this time probably want this worse than ever.”  If Jackson’s assessment is on target, then American Idol 5 should be in direct contrast to previous seasons when contestants usually acted like one big happy family and pretended like they weren’t in a competition.

Jackson also insisted that there were a couple new wrinkles thrown into American Idol 5, but he couldn’t elaborate on what they were.  Jackson did however dispel any notion of the return of guest judges saying “We don’t need them.”  Jackson went on to elaborate that it didn’t work because the guest judges were too “complimentary.”

Jackson joked around with questions about Simon Cowell’s new contract saying “we’re waiting on our raise to match his.”  When asked if the show would work without Simon Cowell, Jackson quickly replied “Yes.”  However, he then went on to reveal that he was just joking and said that the show wouldn’t be the same without either of them.  While Jackson wouldn’t reveal details on his own contract, he insisted “We’ll all be on the show for awhile.”

In regards to the bad singers that always seem to make it into the audition rounds, Jackson said “People turn out and you go what show were they watching.”  When repeatedly questioned about if the show was too cruel, Jackson insisted that “the show is definitely not about cruelty.”  Jackson made the point that you have to let the contestants audition because you never know.  Jackson pointed to Clay Aiken and said “what if we thought this guy should just be in a library somewhere?”

In regards to previous editions of American Idol, Jackson said that America got it right in selecting Ruben Studdard over Clay Aiken.  Jackson said Clay Aiken ascended during the season, but Ruben Studdard was good from the day he started.  Jackson also revealed that his favorite two American Idols so far were Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Topics: American Idol |

29 Responses to “Randy Jackson Says American Idol 5 Has Interesting Fighting”

1. Chris Evans Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 3:50 am

I’m very excited about this upcoming season, although no idols will live up to Kelly Clarkson.

Visit breathoffreshink.blogspot.com to read my review of Kelly’s latest album.

2. luci Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 8:56 am

So, Randy, could you make it in a library? Clay has a degree from a major college! The beauty of the man was always there, he just gained knowledge of how to dress, etc. not from the judges but from the dressers and hairdressers who never really got credit for their help. Also, Clay had been singing for twenty years or more and there were women screaming, etc. way before AI2! Put a sock in it Randy. Afterthought, what’s Ruben doing these days?

3. Marie Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 10:14 am

I am looking forward to American Idol 5. I have been hooked since discovering wonderful singers on American Idol 2. I enjoy several, but my ALL TIME FAVORITE singer whose voice is as captivating as his heart, charm, charisma and philanthropy is Clay Aiken.

The 2 people who I would pay money to see in concert are Clay Aiken and Fantasia.

The rest I would watch if they appeared on TV. I am glad that American Idol discovers such interesting people. I watch it every year.

4. cj Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 10:51 am

Ruben is enjoying being Billboard’s #1 Gospel Artist Of The Year and has Billboard’s #1 Gospel Album Of The Year, “I Need An Angel”. Can’t get any better than that!!! So, yes Randy, America did well in choosing Ruben Studdard as American Idol 2. He has been able to crossover and is on several of the charts. He has such a wonderful voice and is definately my favorite American Idol.

5. Polly Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 11:39 am

Hey Randy, I understand your need to validate the show by continuing to support your choice of Ruben Studdard as the AI2 winner. But let’s face it, both Ruben AND Clay were good from the day they started. If there were ever a year that it would have been appropriate to have two winners, that would have been the year. And, in reality, I think they both DID win. So far Clay has had the best selling debut album of all AI alumni…not bad for a runner up!

6. Carol T. Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 2:05 pm

This is such a crock, Randy! Clay was great from day one. And with the wardrobe change and hair change, he did “look” better and better, but we’ve all heard the evidence, (pre-AI2) that he’s always had a great voice…has always been a star! No improvement needed! Ruben never changed. And that doesn’t mean he was great from the beginning and didn’t need any changes. Ruben is good, but not that great!

According to Billboard, Clay has the #1 selling Christian album for 2005 with “Merry Christmas With Love.” He crossed over with a secular album.

But let’s remember, who rec’d the most viewer fan mail every week; had the most votes every week; and never made it into the bottom two.

If my phone votes and only gotten through on May 21, ’03………

7. grey wolf Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 2:22 pm

sorry randy, fanty cannot sink unless you count screaming singing..and we all know that AI has “bumped” the vote count …of course you would not expect fox to ever be fair and honest…that media group is a little below a snakes belly…

8. Muggy Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 3:25 pm

Randy, you poor man. You still have no clue. Clay was the best and will always be.

9. Robert Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 7:24 pm

The day will NEVER come, while AI is on the air, that the fans and media will stop trying to get the judges and execs to explain the results of the second season of the show. Unless of course the AI execs finally come clean about the voting. No way did Ruben Studdard win that season fair and square. Ruben is a victim in the dishonesty just as much as the fans. To clarify the charts, Ruben is #1 on the Gospel chart, after a full year of sales, Clay is #1 on the Christian sales chart after only 6 weeks of sales for the year, with over 32000 copies sold last week alone. Randy even admits in his book that Ruben was the same week after week after week but no one criticized him whereas they kept telling Clay he needed to take chances etc.

10. Rico & Katrina Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 7:36 pm

We tried to vote for Clay over and over the final night, couldn’t get through. Same with my mom, her sister, Kat’s mom, Kat’s sister, brother and cousin etc etc etc. Randy talks out his butt, and the funny thing is the judges are asked about Clay and Ruben every single year. Kelly Clarkson is only successful because her label PAID for airplay. Her CD isn’t all that great we like Thankful better. And the songs that got her the most airplay she did not write the lyrics to. She can’t write the music by the way, and anyone can write lyrics. Clay has had six that’s 6!!!!!!!!!!! successful tours on only one mainstream CD and one holiday album. Kelly is one her FIRST successful solo tour. No other artist in history has had 6!!! successful tours in two years on only 1 mainstream album. And he didn’t have to dress like a ‘ho to do it or pay for airplay.

11. allison Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 8:32 pm

you still havent any clue randy jaskson clay was inded the best right along with anthony now im verry excited about americian idol 5 i want tell ya that i will be watching to see who will amaze me this time and you want to put clayaiken in a librayery come on now whare is the randy jaskson i know

12. americanidol Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 9:12 pm

I wasn’t for Clay or Ruben. In my opinion that was the worst season ever. But don’t try to make Clay out to be this big pop star now. Because he is already a has-been. The only 2 singers that are going to last is Kelly and Carrie.

13. jojo Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 9:15 pm

SO, Randy wants us to think he would have rejected Clay Aiken on sight?
    But doesn’t everyone know that by the time the contestants sing in front of Randy, Simon, & Paula, the producers have already PRE-SCREENED them, and passed along the “good” singers as well as the “bad” singers?
    Message boards report thousands of people who say their votes for Clay didn’t go through.
    American Idol is an interesting show, but it’s clear to viewers that the winner is pre-selected. They won’t let anyone else get enough votes to win.

14. Suz Says:
    December 17th, 2005 at 9:39 pm

What really gets me is that people want to say how consistant Ruben was all during AI2, and that Clay was not. Well you know why? Clay was being vesatile and showing that he could sing and perform any genre, while Ruben showed just how limited he was!!

Sorry, cause I love Ruben, great voice, and personality, but Clay blows him away with talent!!

15. Lynn Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 12:16 am

Had to laugh when I read the comment by Randy “America got it right in selecting Ruben Studdard over Clay Aiken. Jackson said Clay Aiken ascended during the season, but Ruben Studdard was good from the day he started”.

If there was any contestant that was “right” from day one it was Clay. While Ruben stumbled several times during the season Clay was on every single week and hasn’t stopped since. If they would have let America…they would have gotten it right. Just goes to show the best will rise to the top.

He is the consummate performer with an unbelievable voice that is even more amazing now. They will never come across another contestant like Clay again even if the show goes another 20 years.

Funny how they keep bringing him up!

16. Eric Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 12:21 am

I think all winners from AI are wonderful. Fantasia however, is going to be a classic. I think she will go back to her gospel roots and mix it up with rock-pop-r&b…I think we have another Aretha/Janis/Billy on our hands…this was her first cd, and it wasn’t really who she is…wait till she shows us who she really is. Go Fantasia!

17. cj Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 8:31 am

You have my quote incorrect!!! I am the one that entered the info about Ruben Studdard and the #1 Gospel Artist of the Year with the #1 Gospel Album of the year, not Marie!!! RUBEN STUDDARD IS MY ONE AND ONLY AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!

18. Ma Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 9:07 am

I see that it is still a lot of bitter people. Randy Jackson is within his rights to give his opinion just as you do. Get a life people & stop being bitter over something you have no control over.

19. Eddie Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 9:48 pm

So nobody has said anything about our latest Idol Miss Carrie Underwood. I would just like to express that Carrie is passing the other contestants by leaps and bounds. Name another Idol CD that in the first weeks of being out was up their with the ranks of Madonna who is a legend in her own right. Carrie Underwood is by far just as good if not better than Clay, Fantasia or Ruben. America got it right the first season had a brain fart the 2nd and 3rd and got it right again last season let’s hope there isn’t two more brain fart seasons before we find some more good talent. Carrie Underwood all the way!

20. Anonymous Says:
    December 18th, 2005 at 11:25 pm

AI “LET” America get it right the first season. AI has shafted America every other season by not letting us select the winner. When will they learn? Latoya or George should have won last season.Bo, Jessica, Anthony, Nikko, Scott, Nadia or Vonzell would all have made better winners than Carrie. Without doubt, Clay should have won season two with Kim L. right behind him and Josh in third. It seems all three of them are doing better than good old Ruben at this point.

21. Donna Mills Lane Says:
    December 19th, 2005 at 1:38 am

Stop with the Clay comments, you Aiken fan losers! Go back to your housework, you middle-age housefrumps. Clay is a JOKE in the music business, the Jim Nabors of Billboard- he is already a had-been.

22. Anonymous Says:
    December 19th, 2005 at 2:38 pm

Clay is a JOKE in the music business, the Jim Nabors of Billboard- (**he is already a had-been.**)

Posted by: Donna Mills Lane | December 19, 2005 at 01:38 AM

NAH! That would be Ruben or Connie boy.

23. BitzofBrin Says:
    December 19th, 2005 at 6:26 pm

You guys are so funny! Randy wasn’t dissing on Clay. He was talking about how important it is to not judge by looks. I love Clay but he looked geeky in the beginning. He improved every week. it was awesome to watch. Randy’s right. They have to let contestants audition. If they judged Clay by his looks the first day and dismissed him we would have missed out on a great singer. I’m so glad they let him through and audition. (But I disagree with Randy. I’m all Clay all the way!! :))

~Brin

Listen to my podcast! – http://bitzofbrin.com
    I’m in iTunes!! – http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=83039651

24. SparkOMatic Says:
    January 6th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Rueben WAS the correct choice over Clay. Clay has a decent voice, but lacks soul or feeling in how he sings a song. When he did Bridge over trouble waters by Simon and Garfunkel, he was just singing the words. He needs to feel what he’s singing about.

He would be good as a broadway singer. Period.

25. CarolFromOhio Says:
    January 16th, 2006 at 4:54 pm

I’m really looking forward to this season’s American Idol. Hard to believe that it will be the 5th season. How many American Idols does 1 country need? (just kidding, but an interesting question, nonetheless).

The beauty of this show is that it allows you to see dreams come true. Each season has been uniquely different from the others. All the kids have the opportunity to display their talent. Win or lose, they get the exposure. What they do with it is up to them.

Out of all the seasons, I’d have to say that Clay is my favorite contestant. He’s more than just a singer; he’s an entertainer as well. There’s a difference.

Thanks for the article.

26. lizzo Says:
    February 14th, 2006 at 9:19 pm

I want a picture of Garet Lane johnson!!!!!!!

27. daphne Says:
    March 19th, 2006 at 11:49 pm

RUBEN was the rightful winner of AI2. sadly, his record company hardly supports him. nevertheless, toping the Billboard 2005 Gospel Charts is something indeed! no gospel album for the longest time has had gold sales.

28. Anonymous Says:
    September 20th, 2006 at 6:44 am

Randy, where can I purchase a cross like you were wearing on the Today Show on Sept 19. It is beautiful. Mine was recently stolen and was on my neck for close to 30 years, given to me by my late wife, I am heartbroken. Yours is something I would be interested in as a replacement. Thank you.

29. Clara Says:
    April 6th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

The only reason Sanjaya is still on American Idol is a guy is telling people to. A.I SOULD sew because if he keeps this up Sanjaya could win! An he shouldn’t. A.I should SEW.

Comments