Paris Bennett, Will She Live Up To The Hype?

January 29, 2006 07:56 PM by Joe Blackmon

Paris_bennettParis Bennett wowed not only the judges during her American Idol 5 audition, but also several entertainment writers.  Entertainment Weekly raves about Paris and says she “threatens to end this competition before it even gets underway.”  The New York Post calls Paris Bennett a “probable winner” and says her audition “might have been the most successful in the show’s history.”  People Magazine calls Paris an “early favorite.”

Paris Bennett is only 17 years old and is from Fayetteville, Georgia.  Paris is the granddaughter of Ann Nesby, who was the lead singer for Sounds of Blackness, a group that won three Grammy Awards.  Paris sang “Cowboy Take Me Away” by the Dixie Chicks and “Take Five” by Billie Holiday for her American Idol 5 audition.  Paula Abdul called Paris “phenomenal,” while Simon Cowell called her “unbelievable.”  Paris advanced to Hollywood by a unanimous yes vote from the judges.  After her audition, Paris was so overcome with emotion that she broke down in tears of happiness when telling her grandmother the news.

There are two things that could negatively impact Paris Bennett’s chances.  By setting the bar high during the auditions, viewers will be expecting something spectacular every time that Paris takes the stage.  Because so many news organizations are calling Paris the early favorite, viewers will have high expectations and will likely hold her to a higher standard.  When people expect the world, one slip-up or bad performance can be enough to knock even a great singer out of the competition.

Another thing that could hurt Paris Bennett is that many viewers are likely to question if she really needs American Idol.  She is a very talented and attractive young girl with a Grammy winning grandmother, who likely has numerous connections in the music industry.  Paris could probably get a record deal without American Idol.  In fact, she could probably negotiate a more lucrative deal for herself by not limiting herself to being bound to the American Idol contract.  However, the perception of how easy it is to make it in the music industry and the reality are often two very different things.  What better way to launch the career of a new artist than by appearing on a TV show with 35 million viewers?

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Topics: American Idol |

70 Responses to “Paris Bennett, Will She Live Up To The Hype?”

1. Kim Says:
    January 30th, 2006 at 1:54 am

Probably NOT. Im sure someone there will be a contestant who grows and improves, like every year. And also someone who we dont get to see early on. Besides, she’s god but she’s not THAAAT good.

2. Donna Lane Says:
    January 30th, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Anwar is an example of someone who did very well early on and disappointed people later because he set his bar so high in the beginning. So did Carrie, but Carrie rose to the challenge. Anwar did not. So it is true a bad performance could end Paris’s run quite early.

3. Petal Blossom Says:
    January 31st, 2006 at 12:25 am

Kellie Pickler will be the next American Idol- it doesn’t matter what this Paris “girl” does- she is not even that good. Obviously if that tacky dressed grandmother of hers can’t get her a recording contract, then she does not have what it takes. Kellie Pickler will make mince-meat out of this (haha) “singer.”

4. to Petal Blossom Says:
    February 1st, 2006 at 10:51 am

Tell us exactly which flower petal blossom you are depicting as it *appears* to be DEADLY NIGHTSHADE!!!

How dare you attack somebody’s grandmother!!! I can see your parents did a fine job of raising you….N_O_T. Totally disrespectful and dissin’ someone’s grandma on how she dresses should be a sin…but unfortunately in the USA it is not. You’d never hear this in Japan or China…as they revere the elderly.

Now get thee into some kind of finishing school so that you can learn manners and etiquette….something many lack in this country, but you proved it.

5. To All Posters ESPECIALLY PETAL BLOSSOM Says:
    February 1st, 2006 at 12:25 pm

here’s some REAL info on Paris’ grandmother, dressed well or not dressed well according to Petal Blossom (the idiot poster that he/she is)

POSTED HERE FOR THE ILL EDUCATED AND MORONIC POSTERS…

Paris Bennett is only 17 years old and is from Fayetteville, Georgia. Paris is the granddaughter of Ann Nesby, who was the lead singer for Sounds of Blackness, a group that won three Grammy Awards.

6. AMBER Says:
    February 2nd, 2006 at 2:55 am

To Petal Blossom: Just because you have a favorite, doesn’t give you the right to insult others. If her grandma couldn’t get her a contract maybe it was because Paris wanted to audition for American Idol. Or do you know Paris that you can PROVE what you said? Carrie wasn’t one of my favorites and she won, so the more you hate the more chances are Paris will win.

Even if you have the natural voice, you still need to take singing classes. Hasn’t it ever occured to you that Paris was doing that? Hasn’t it ever occured to you that she just wanted to see if she was ready to start her career and she just wanted to audition for American Idol? It’s “easier” to get a contract from American Idol. It only takes months to show your talent during the show and it takes YEARS to get a singing contract and record a cd and audition for producers to build up your career.

7. tony Says:
    February 2nd, 2006 at 1:00 pm

I am very confident in Paris’ run on American Idol. I had the honor to be acquainted with her during a show she did called The Reflections of Black Nativity @ Penumbra theatre in St. Paul, MN. She has a great spirit and excellent people behind her: mother and grandmother.

Good Luck Paris

8. QueenD Says:
    February 2nd, 2006 at 8:49 pm

Paris has an absolutely beautiful voice and I look forward to seeing how far her talent stretches as the competition goes on. I knew Paris when she was a little girl as her (very talented) mother went to high school with me. Both her mother and grandmother were in “The Sounds of Blackness” so her talent runs deep in her veins. From what I remember of her mother, I can surmise that she wants to earn this achievement on her own rather than having it handed to her. Good luck Paris! Friends from Minneapolis are rooting for you!

9. Stephanie Says:
    February 4th, 2006 at 5:35 pm

I love Paris! I hope she wins! :)

10. Chuky Says:
    February 6th, 2006 at 5:56 am

I have watched the audition over and over and still get the chills each time. Paris will go far, with or without AI.

For those who want to watch the audition, I found it here: http://www.ebonybay.com/ebn/templates/?a=1690&z=8

11. alex davinci Says:
    February 8th, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Did anyone know that Paris Bennett was the real name of a comic book character? In the X-Men comics Paris Bennett was a superpowerful mutant called Exodus(he’s now dead, I think) that followed Magneto. The moment I saw her name on Idol I immediately that of this character. I’m thinking anyone who reads X-Men comics doesn’t watch American Idol and vice-versa. Except me. Oh well, just thought that was an interesting tidbit.

12. Eric Says:
    February 9th, 2006 at 11:54 am

I’m sorry- if you weren’t moved by her performance, I’m afraid you have a tin ear. Not THAT good? She has impeccable timing and control of her voice, and more soul than most seasoned singers I’ve ever heard. She put tears in my eyes and my hair was standing up on my neck and arms. My wife agreed when I said this is the kind of talent you may see every 50 years or so.

13. DannysDiamond Says:
    February 9th, 2006 at 8:28 pm

In addition to being, in my opinion, the most talented individual American Idol has seen thus far, Paris Bennett has two certain and distinct edges over her competitors – 1) a powerful ANNOINTING and 2) the favor of God.

Even if America and/or the Idol producers don’t take Paris all the way to the end, it is clear that her annointing will usher her into the music industry regardless. God will use this girl, if not in Idol doing pop music, certainly for a higher purpose – rendering HIS music. No matter what happens with Idol, I’m looking forward to seeing Paris at the top of the gospel charts within a year or so. What a rare talent!

14. Habiib Says:
    February 11th, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Eric,
    speaking of gospel who do you think has a better singing talent: Paris or Kierra (KiKi) Sheard?

15. Habiib Says:
    February 11th, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Danny,

16. Joyce Daniel Says:
    February 16th, 2006 at 12:13 pm

I think that Paris Bennett is a awesome singer, she can do any kind of music. She is talented for one so young. She will go far in the music industry. Her grandmother Ann Nesby is a power singer so singing is in her genes. I strongly beleive that she will be the next American Idol. even if she does’nt make it she will get the exposure she needs to go straight to the top. Good luck Paris I look forward to buying your first album.

17. Joyce Daniel Says:
    February 16th, 2006 at 12:16 pm

see the above comment it is mine

18. supahstarah Says:
    February 18th, 2006 at 6:30 am

i think that she is an excellent singer… but lets not set the others aside… kellie pickler is phenomenal too, and so is katharine mcphee… lets just hope that they excell in everything that they do… too bad we cant vote for the contestants coz im not from america…

19. Kerrian W Says:
    February 21st, 2006 at 9:32 pm

SHE WILL WIN AMERICAN IDOL (NO DOUBT ABOUT IT)

20. Felicia Says:
    February 22nd, 2006 at 12:15 pm

That girl is going to make it all the way she ha stage presence and she can sing. Her voice is so versatile and full of depth, you can tell that singing is her passion. The other girls are good singers as well but they are not as comfortable with their singing capabilities as she is. Oh yeah and as far as the gospel question I think that Paris is better because she has more control over her voice, don’t get me wrong kiki is an excellent vocalist but she doesn’t have the full package.

21. ali Says:
    February 22nd, 2006 at 1:24 pm

WOW! last night Paris Bennett proved she is the best female vocalist on American Idol season 5. Her rendition of “Midnight Train to Georgia” was spectacular. Her stage presence is unbelievable and the best there has been in a while on AI. I can’t wait to see how far this 17-year-old will go on her road to glory!

22. Fivo Says:
    February 22nd, 2006 at 1:38 pm

Ann Nesby was one of my favorite gospel singers growing up. I always wished I could have seen her in concert but that never happened. At least I know when her grand daughter wins this contest I’ll get to see her on the Idol Tour. :) I really am glad for all the good stories in Idol this year, but someone would have to be deaf not to hear the next winner after last night. Absolutely stunning. Paris will do her family proud both in this competition and her career.

23. William Von Alt Says:
    February 23rd, 2006 at 12:07 am

I see no reason why Paris could not be the next American Idol. I have no real music background of any kind, yet a strong sense that she is the one. Watching the reactions of the judges and others who do know real talent, it’s very obvious she’s going somewhere.

24. kenisha Says:
    March 2nd, 2006 at 9:13 pm

To all you haters paris is goin to win the contest, not to be cocky are anything but the girl is just one hot stuff, and please please stop hating on tthe girls dressing she is just unique unlike the rest of y’all!! halla back. and by the way kellie pickler suck!

25. sheez Says:
    March 21st, 2006 at 11:50 am

PARRIS BENNETT IS THE BEST SINGER ON AMERICAN IDOL!!!! SO ALL HATERS FALL BACK CUZ SHE IS GON WIN REGARDLESS OF THE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS AND BAD COMMENTS, SHE’S GON PULL DO THIS THROUGH THE EYES OF ALL UNBELIEVERS, WITH OR WITHOUT AMERICAN IDOL. (MOCK MY WORDS, REMEMBER THEM)

26. daycee Says:
    March 21st, 2006 at 11:53 am

I LOVE PARRIS BENNETT. HER VOICE IS INCREDIBLE! SHE’S GONNA GO VERY FAR. SHE’S ANOTHER FANTASIA BARRINO. THEY R THE BEST!!!!

27. santana Says:
    March 21st, 2006 at 11:58 am

PARRIS BENNETT IS GONE WIN!!!!!!
    SHE’S THE BEST ONE ON AI FROM THE TIME SHE AUDITIONED TIL NOW, SHE’S STILL THE BEST ONE.
    SO THEY MIGHTEST WELL JUST GO AHEAD AND GIVE PARRIS THE CONTRACT CUZ NO ONE ON AI IS BETTER THEN PARRIS BENNETT, NO ONE!
    SHE’S THE BEST. SHE HAS A VERY STRONG VOICE AND SHE DESERVES TO WIN THIS.
    VOTE 4 PARRIS BENNETT AND U WONT BE DISAPPOINTED THAT U DID.
    PARRIS IS GONNA GO FAR WITH THE HELP OF GOD, REGARDLESS OF ALL THE MEAN PEOPLE SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT HER, SHE’S GONNA MAKE ALOT OF PEOPLE UPSET, BUT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE VERY PROUD!!!
    KEEP UR HEAD UP PARRIS, I LOVE YOU!

28. Claire Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 12:11 pm

Paris Bennett is a trashy phony. How dare she let herself be quoted saying hateful things about Brenna. That is NOT how a “Christian” handles things. She need to fall on her face, but it won’t help because she is all PLASTIC.

29. Island Girl Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 10:52 am

Kudos to Paris for doing what she does so well every week. This youg lady has obviously been blessed with a talent and utilises it to the fullest. It is always refreshing to view the show and await Paris’ performance with much anticipation. The persons who said in their postings that she isn’t that good were correct. She is GREAT, DYNAMIC, POSITIVE and UNIQUE, and holds herself in high esteem while constantly acknowledging that her Creator is her motivator and the key figure behind her success. I cannot fathom why they keep attacking her grandmother either. It makes absolutely no sense. It’s totally disrespectful and makes you wonder if their dislike of Paris isn’t much deeper. To Paris, keep doing what you are doing….. making America and the viewers of other countries happy. You are like an invigorating island breeze.

30. Love Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Paris is a VILE tool of the “Man”. She should not have been so stupid as to let the public see her in a “black” cat fight. That was in the POOREST taste ever.She looks like a Picaninny with those ponytails. Till this day, there is a yet to be a quote of Brenna saying ANYTHING about Paris. She is TRASH!

31. Mariah Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 8:18 pm

PARIS BENNETT IS THE BEST SINGER ON AMERICAN IDOL AND DESERVES TO WIN! This talented 17 year old has a voice too big for her small body but she makes it work, so she has my vote!!!!

32. Kelly Clarkson Says:
    April 4th, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Paris Bennett will not only win but she is my favorite since my producers showed me a glance of her audition and she made me get chills run down my spine. I support her and I am making plans out of my busy scedule to perform live on American Idol. Oh and by the way I am totally embarrassed that Lisa Tucker ruined my son.

33. Clay Aiken Says:
    April 4th, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Hey ya’ll this clay! Well this season definately has some good talent and as far as the top 12 goes I have to say that I am supporting Paris Bennett all the way. Everyoone please vote for her and lets crown her the NEXT AMERICAN IDOL. And yes its true and am working on a new album and its called New Generation so be looking out for it.

34. jolene Says:
    April 16th, 2006 at 2:45 am

hey she is the next American Idol she is the best besides of Mandiva

35. Esther Says:
    April 20th, 2006 at 5:59 pm

I don’t know why people are just haters. i think paris is a great star and has the best voice than the others.keep up with your vocals and don’t let anything bring you down i know u can do it.You have my vote
    I love you paris

LOTS OF LOVE
    BABY GIRL

36. Don Says:
    April 24th, 2006 at 1:57 am

Pairs is wonderful! She is an exceptional talent and I think she should be the next American Idol. Too bad many Americans are treating the show like a popularity contest. It would be a major embarassement if Paris didn’t it through to the final three, two, or didn’t win. I would hate to see a finale with Kelli Pickler or Taylor Hicks. They’re ok but they don’t hold a candle to Paris. She doesn’t have to jump around the stage like Taylor or put on some goofy, idiotic facade like Kelli. She doesn’t even have to look in the camera and say look at me I’m beautiful like Katherine. In fact, all she has to do is stand up there with her mic and sing, sing, sing. She is what real talent and gift are all about. She’s the kind of singer who you are going to watch grow as an artist and become legendary with each passing year. Go Paris!

37. Monica Chambers Says:
    April 26th, 2006 at 11:05 pm

I think she is very good thats it!! People should encourage all of the idols!!! after all they are there and we are in their buisness!!! Good start and Good luck Paris.

38. Monica Chambers Says:
    April 26th, 2006 at 11:10 pm

Stay strong and always remember the real champions are the people who dare to dream. making away for others a road to follow or create. Once again Good job Paris

39. AnnJ Says:
    May 1st, 2006 at 6:35 am

Don’t forget to cast your vote tuesday night for Paris, We need you to vote for the 2 full hours

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

40. Anonymous Says:
    May 3rd, 2006 at 9:29 pm

Well I will not be watching American Idol any more the phones lines with Paris numbers was jam I try calling the whole two hour and could not get in, Neither could all the people i talk to they try and could not get in. If at least one of us out of the 50 had be able to get in it would be ok, but not one of us could. So what do that tell you. RIDGE!

41. Rachael Kosier Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 7:57 am

hey this is rachael!!
    It totally stinks that Paris got kicked off American Idol!!
    she was the best!

see ya later!

p.s.as soon as she makes a cd,it is mine!!!

42. lwkdasdaS Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 7:59 am

ASFASfASF

43. kelly clarkson Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 9:49 am

hey i stink at singing,
    and i am going to give it up!!!!

so bye!!

clay

44. utygukygul Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 9:51 am

,hjgjkhghhk

45. utygukygul Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 9:51 am

,hjgjkhghhk

46. kimmy Says:
    May 8th, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Paris Bennett should have won. She is one of the best singers I have ever heard!

47. Kelly Clarkson Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Hey ‘yall this is Kelly Clarkson!

I totally stink at singing so I’m am going to give it up!
    Good bye!
    –Kelly Clarkson

p.s.I will not be coming out with my new album. sorry

48. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

49. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

50. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

51. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

52. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

53. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

54. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love you Paris!!!
    You really were the best!!!!

55. Rachael Says:

67. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:12 pm

68. Rachael Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 12:12 pm

69. Alex Says:
    May 11th, 2006 at 8:07 pm

Paris Bennett is my American Idol, just like Al Gore is my American President…..

70. Harry Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 8:55 am

I will never watch american idol again because the show is phoney it is not about talent its about money those judges know who is going to win paris has more talent in her big toe than rest of those clowns

Comments