70% Chance That A Southerner Will Win American Idol

March 23, 2006 01:03 AM by Joe Blackmon

For four straight years, the American Idol winner has been from a Southern state, and American Idol 5 looks to be shaping up to follow the trend.  With the elimination of New York’s Kevin Covais, 70% of the remaining American Idol contestants are from Southern states.  Even more amazing, 30% of the remaining American Idol contestants are from North Carolina.

The only three non-Southern American Idol contestants remaining are Colorado’s Ace Young and California’s Katharine McPhee and Lisa Tucker.  Of these three, Lisa Tucker has already found herself in the bottom three twice and Ace Young has found himself in the bottom three once.  Katharine McPhee is the only one of the three that oddsmakers are predicting has a shot at winning.

Even Simon Cowell seems to be putting the odds with the South, as Simon recently went on record saying North Carolina’s Chris Daughtry, Alabama’s Taylor Hicks, and North Carolina’s Kellie Pickler are the favorites to win.  Even before the season started, Simon actually predicted that a Southerner would win again and that a boy could actually win this year.  With Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks as frontrunners, Simon could very well turn out to be right again.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Topics: American Idol |

22 Responses to “70% Chance That A Southerner Will Win American Idol”

1. Anonymous Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 2:17 am

Well, it shouldn’t surprise anyone. After all, the show tends to get much higher ratings in ‘Red’ states as opposed to ‘Blue’ states (at least as far as share goes). That said, maybe there are just better singers in the South?

btw, California and Colorado are both in the Southwest.

2. Anonymous Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 8:28 am

I think this is appropriate…..don’t ya’ll?

3. American Idol Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 8:47 am

70% chance a Southerner will win

With Kevin’s exit, there is now a 7 in 10 chance that the South will rise again– well at least to the top of the American Idol ratings. This is not unusual on American Idol. Katharine McPhee, Lisa Tucker, and Ace Young are the only remaining non-So…

4. Anonymous Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 9:18 am

it really doesn’t mater who wins, it just maters what happends to them after the show. do they keep the spotlight on? do they continue on with their own career?

5. Anonymous Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 10:32 am

It shouldn’t even matter were you are from, it should be the best singer/performer.

6. Jimmy Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 11:04 am

Southern Idol? Heck no. The next American Idol will be from the heart of the San Fernando Valley, in Southern California. (Sherman Oaks, to be specific). Imagine if the entire state of California rallies behind our local girl Katharine (after Lisa is eliminated). The “red state” supporters who want Pickler won’t have a chance.

7. DELICIA Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 1:48 pm

did you guys here here last night what is ballsy i am so tired of her stupid act she has got to go soon

8. Anonymous Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 2:59 pm

then vote and stop complaining.

9. DELICIA Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 4:42 pm

i did bitch

10. Leah Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Technically anything down from the boarder between Canada and the US is “South”… so yeah.. the analogy is correct… someone from the “South” will win. :) LOL

11. TIFFANY Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 11:05 pm

TAYLOR IS GOING TO WIN THIS YEAR SO JUST GO AHEAD AND START VOTING FOR HIM THIS WEEK. THANKS.

12. looga Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 11:55 pm

I katharine will make it big even after eliminated. She’s proven to be one of the best contender. Elimination won’t stop offers that’ll come in …’Hope she wins though!

Can’t vote from her! I’m from Manila

13. looga Says:
    March 23rd, 2006 at 11:56 pm

hope you visit my McPheever site! http://www.sitesled.com/members/mcpheever

thanks

14. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 4:46 am

Is it a coincidence that Simon is always right? Remember he is a producer(not in AI) but he is. I’m pretty sure they won’t let a girl win. And unfortunately, those who leave early from the show, never get a contract. Which would be sad if the show was “rigged”

15. fruity Says:
    April 5th, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Taylor will win !!!!!!!!!!!

16. Michael Jenkins Says:
    April 13th, 2006 at 9:51 am

I think Chris Daughtry is going to win the america idol. the reason why him because he has a voice that is rock and roll. i think this year it is going to be a Rock star. taylor hicks was my first choice but he can sing but in my opinion he is not an america choice as an Idol. If taylor hicks do win it won`t shock me at all because he can sing. but if anybody else win other than Chris or taylor i will be shocked and think America made a big mistake!

17. Tre Says:
    April 14th, 2006 at 2:21 am

Katharine McPhee is the American Idol… it’s just taking America awhile to realize it! She’s breaking the southern Idol trend. I think she’s a terrific talent. One of the best they’ve ever found.

18. Alisa Wissell Says:
    May 5th, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Who cares where the singer is from? I live in the New York Metro area where there are thousand of talented people on Broadway,film, etc. People come here from all over the country, INCLUDING New York!! Where someone is from or how they look means nothing to most people. It is a singing contest not a regional contest or beauty contest. I have thought Chris Daughtry was extremely talented from the first audition!! I am surprised he was not discovered before!! Catherine tries to hard to be “sultry” when she sings. And what I hear most people say is that she has a dull personality. GO CHRIS!!

19. raj nair Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 4:28 am

oh my god- i read all the above comments – and no one has said anything about elliot yamin. the guy can sing and sing well too.Katherine has been offkey – chris is like any other rocker dude. Taylor is good. BUT PLEASE look at elliot- yes he may not be good looking – but he does have a good – sorry very good voice.

20. Alisa Says:
    May 9th, 2006 at 8:50 pm

To Raj Nair,

Yes, I agree! I failed to mention him in my comments above. He is definately GREAT!! I don’t think he gets enough attention. And I agree, it should not be about looks. It is a singing contest!!!
    I have voted for Elliot and Chris over and over again and would be very happy if he won. He seems very down to earth. I think Katherine should leave this week.

21. RAJ NAIR Says:
    May 10th, 2006 at 6:45 am

TO ALISA,

thanks , please vote for elliot -look at his performance this week of the elvis songs . i mean wow.
    I am in singapore and thus can’r do anything but send good vibes.
    Katherine i believe will be going home this week, as the other two chris and taylor did moderately well.

please AMERICA – vote for the rest of the world- VOTE ELLIOT

22. Anonymous Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 11:11 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like folks from Alabama keep ending up at the top.. Ruben, Bo, and now Taylor?

Comments