March 24, 2006 12:12 AM by Joe Blackmon

Kevin_covais_photoKevin Covais was the butt of many jokes during his run on American Idol, but it turns out that Covais has a sense of humor and maturity that is well beyond his young age.  While most sixteen year olds might be apt to take offense or break down in tears if anyone compared them to a cartoon chicken, Kevin Covais wears his Chicken Little moniker with pride.  Kevin recently told reporters, “I’m loving it because I’m a fun-loving guy and I enjoy that type of stuff.  I’m sarcastic and witty and I have a sense of humor, so I really appreciate it and it’s nothing against me.  I know that because one of my good friends, Paris Bennett, made it up so I really have nothing against it.  It’s all great.”

In fact, Kevin Covais was not only ok with the ribbing that he often took on the show, he actually encouraged it.  Kevin explained “And that was the producer of the show saying, ‘Kevin, do you want try this?  Do you want to do this?  Is this okay with you?  Is this going to offend you?’  And I said, ‘Go for it.’  Because with me, I just want to have a good time and I’m a sarcastic, fun kid and I have a sense of humor and that’s what I wanted to show people.  So as far as any of those comments, I wasn’t offended in the least. I loved it and I encouraged it.  I said, ‘Milk it for all it’s worth because I might as well while I’m here.’"

When told that the Chicken Little DVD was being advertised on the American Idol website, Kevin quipped “I’m sure if they were advertising over the Idol Web site, I may have had a little something to do with that.  Maybe they’ll give me a piece of the pie.  No, I’m just kidding.  But no, it’s all good.  I’m sure I had something to do with that, the whole connection.  I mean, when people think Chicken Little, not only do they think of the Disney character, they think of me now, which is pretty cool.”

While Kevin seemed ok with the teasing from the judges, host, and other Idols, he had strong words for message boards and other Internet activity.  Kevin said “I avoid that stuff because most of it – Most of the people that have good stuff to say don’t take time out to write it on the Internet.  That’s what I’ve figured out.  And you know what, early on in this competition, I took a look at a few of them and I saw negative stuff and I’m like, no, this isn’t for me.  I’m doing something right now where I need to be focused.  I need to put 100% into this show and focusing on making it far and that’s the last thing I need to be looking at, stuff like that.  So early on I figured out not to look at it.  It’s not worth it and most of it is just, as Simon would say, ‘Rubbish.’”

Kevin Covais confirmed one rumor about him while denying another.  When asked if he parents stayed with him and Bucky, Kevin replied “Yes, in our place, yes.  I don’t want to get too much into that, but me and Bucky were in close quarters and me and Bucky were really tight.  Bucky is an amazing guy and I’m just thrilled for him that he’s going to continue on this journey.”  However, when asked if he broke up with his girlfriend in order to improve his votes on American Idol, Kevin responded “Just for the record, I broke up with my girlfriend before the voting even started.  You can tell that to all the people.  But no, I mean, it’s ridiculous.  It’s tabloids trying to come up with stuff.  Honestly, I broke up with my girlfriend because I just wanted to be friends with her.  I’ve got nothing for you, I’m sorry.”

While many had predicted Kevin’s elimination in earlier weeks of the competition, the timing of his actual elimination came as a surprise to many, because it came after one of his best performances.  Kevin also felt it was his best week, telling reporters, “I would say that this was, by far, my best week.  I was never into the song as much as I was this week and the song was perfect for me.  It was fitting.  I felt I did the best I could on it and everything seemed right, so that fact that I was eliminated this week, it’s a little bittersweet.  But it’s nice to go out on top like that; to go out knowing that I did the best I could, and that’s a great feeling.  So no harsh feelings about that.  No, not at all.”

One of Kevin’s most memorable moments during the competition occurred when after receiving some particular negative feedback, he told Simon Cowell “I wasn’t expecting much from you anyway.”  In regards to the incident, Kevin said “I think I won respect.  As far as the votes, I have no idea.  Maybe people voted for me for it; maybe some said, ‘Oh, he’s arrogant,’ and didn’t vote for me because of it.  But as far as I’m concerned, I wasn’t even expecting to say what I said but when I said it, I was happy I did because I had taken four weeks of negative comments from him and I kind of just flipped the script a little bit on him.  And I think that he actually respected me for it, that I stood up to him because I think he was trying to test me and I think that I passed the test and I think he realized that.  So, there’s a respect between me and Simon.”

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol and SirLinksAlot: Kevin Covais.

Topics: American Idol |

16 Responses to “American Idol Finalist Kevin Covais Is A Good Sport About Being Called Chicken Little”

1. Lisa Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 9:18 am

I bet Kevin will have no problems getting a date for the prom! Rock on Kevin. . .

2. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 4:23 pm

Now the ones who were bashing about Paris can stop talking crap. They said they wouldn’t vote for her because of the Chicken Little thing.

3. Maria Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 6:57 pm

Kevin was horrible. He only made it this far because of votefortheworst.com

4. Ellen Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for a positive article on Kevin. Props to you! My respect for him has grown even more since he was voted off. Very bittersweet for me. The people who don’t “get him” are missing out — he is a pure delight, talented, witty, smart. I hope great things happen for him, and I would even try to catch him in a play when I am in the New York area. The show will not be the same without him.
    (For the record, I am not a granny or teenager – 46 year old woman here).

Terrific job, Kevin. We won’t forget you, believe me. Know that all the posts about you were definitely not negative, you have many fans/friends out here of many ages. While you are considering your future, please consider also, being a spokesperson for diabetes. You can use this forum you have been given and gift with being articulate — to truly make a difference.

Godspeed, young man, and may your dreams come true.

5. Belle Book Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 8:07 pm

I didn’t remember that Paris was the one who made up the “Chicken Little” nickname, but if Kevin is a good enough sport to take it, and if he still considers her a good friend, then people should stop bashing her about it. As for Kevin, I liked him but there was no way I’d ever vote for him. Still, I’m glad he’s being a good sport over it all.

6. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 10:48 pm

Good Luck to you Kevin!!!

7. Anonymous Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 1:31 am

Paris called him that behind the scenes. You know the whole teenager name calling between friends.

8. Anonymous Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 2:22 pm

He should have thanked votefortheworst.com

9. gwen Says:
    March 26th, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Kevin-I just have to say this-You are adorable! Best of luck to a really cute kid! I have enjoyed “Idol” for the past few weeks. Thanks to YOU!

10. Ellen Says:
    March 28th, 2006 at 3:51 am

One other thing I’d like to add…this site was very critical of Kevin initially and I spoke up about it, asked you to write something positive. Though I did appreciate that, as written above, I then woke up lol – and realized that you did it AFTER he got voted off, which was obviously one of your goals when you wrote the negative stuff, to sway the public and make him look bad. I was told that you only reported what was on the Idol message board and you gave me the link. I visited that site and there were many good things said about Kevin there from his fans, so I guess you missed some of the good stuff. I’m surprised Kevin actually gave you an interview, I wonder if he read the previous things you wrote. In any case, you can be happy that you bashed him and then interviewed him to make yourselves feel better (or to make up for it?) we’ll never know…He may not have been destined to win, but I think he would have gotten better every week, and I would have at least liked to see him in the top ten — I believe he deserved to tour and he would have added something special.

11. Leda Says:
    April 1st, 2006 at 8:27 am

Hi! hey Kevin you’re so so so cute, adorable and you can also sing very well.
    I realy don’t care what everybody say abuot you, i only want to say that i love you and i will mis you very much in the competition, when i saw ”Idol” and they elimineted you i almost cry.
    If you want a girfriend were i am, i love you and don’t give up with the singing thing.
    Best wishis

12. SHERIL Says:
    April 2nd, 2006 at 12:30 am

Kevin, you are an awsome performer, and a person of strong character. I am not going to give you a backhanded compliment like ‘how cute you are’ as though you are a baby. You are a man, so instead I will say you are hot!

13. Taimi Says:
    April 4th, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Hi! I live in Finland and I don’t speak english very well.. but I have to say that I’m never watch American Idol again, because I want to see you there, but I can’t.. :( I think that you must to continue this singing thing.. you have so lovly voice!

14. aly Says:
    April 17th, 2006 at 5:02 pm

kevin never stop singing! you are awesome and mandisa and kevin should still be on american idol! ace amd katherine need to be off ! lisa an dbucky were horrible an di am glad they went home and to melissa good but never forget the words to a song! kevin you rock i love you and for always !

15. aly Says:
    April 17th, 2006 at 5:05 pm

kevin awesome! you should never stop singing !rock on ! ttyl love kevin covais

16. Anonymous Says:
    April 25th, 2006 at 10:25 pm

I think Paris and Kevin are kinda in love or sumthing. I mean, like, why else would they be friends?

votefortheworse.com is such an awful website. I mean, COME ON! Who wants to vote for the worse?!

Comments