Who Will Win American Inventor?

May 12, 2006 12:59 AM by Joe Blackmon

Spherical_safety_seat

We had high hopes for Simon Cowell’s American Inventor show.  We thought the show would grow stronger as it got closer to the finale, but the exact opposite has happened.  While the show did succeed in finding four inventors that viewers can really relate to and form a bond with, there has been way too much filler time in the show.  In two hours that was half-filled by another unnecessary recap show, the final four American Inventors produced commercials about their inventions and presented them to the judges for review.

First up was Erik Thompson, who invented the Receiver’s Training Pole.  Erik has been one of the most passionate and enthusiastic presenters in the competition, but his commercial was lacking.  He didn’t succeed in capturing the true excitement of his product in his commercial.  Second up was Francisco Patino, who invented the Double Traction Bike.  Francisco succeeded in producing a visually pleasing commercial, but it also did very little to explain or sell his product.  Ed Hall, who invented the Word Ace, was the third inventor to present his commercial.  Ed did a much better job in explaining his product in his commercial, but it’s the typical commercial you would expect to see for an electronic gaming product.  Janusz Liberkowski, who invented the Spherical Safety Seat, was the last inventor to present his commercial.  Janusz succeeds in producing the best commercial.  It actually delivers a message that is a strong motivator for people to buy his product.

So who will win American Inventor?  We almost wish they would split the money between the four, because they all seem to have put their hearts into their products.  Ed Hall and Francisco Patino have produced the products that have the most broad-based consumer appeal.  On the other hand, Erik Thompson has produced a product that serves a well-defined niche and might have the best chance at being profitable.  However, our prediction is that Janusz Liberkowski will win the competition.  Even though it is probably more unproven than the other inventions, it is an invention that everyone would like to see become a reality.  The other inventions basically improve quality of life, but Janusz invention could save lives.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Inventor news.  For other great American Inventor news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Inventor.

Topics: American Inventor |

25 Responses to “Who Will Win American Inventor?”

1. Jasper Lee Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 8:56 am

Bouncing Brain Productions will air a reality TV show entitled “Everyday Edisons”. The show will be televised from Charlotte, NC, and appear on an unknown number of affiliate stations throughout the nation. My partner and I will be on the show as our product was one the 14 chosen. One of the 14 finalist is Chuck Foley, inventor of the Milton Bradley game, Twister. He has another great invention. Have you heard anything about this program coming up? We don’t hear much from the production company or the group at Enventys who will market our products. I’m rather anxious and have been following the American Inventor show. I believe Everyday Edisons will be more appealing based on what I already know about how they will run the show. The 14 finalists were all chosen from the Southeastern United States. After the first 14 episodes are televised, Bouncing Brain Productions will again hold more casting calls to determine the next 14, and so on until the entire nation has been represented.

2. Bob Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 9:08 am

Francisco Patino’s “Double Traction” bike is a accident waiting to happen. There is a reason that existing tandem bikes have only one drive chain. When you have two drives chains, you will have two wheels operating at different speeds. Which on any two wheel vehicle means high-side crash.

3. Boris Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 9:41 am

Is there somewhere we can download the 4 commercials?

4. What Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 9:49 am

I can’t believe someone thinks the erik’s invention will sell more than WordAce.

5. Anonymous Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 11:59 am

Janusz will most likely win. He has a true invention and the Word Ace is also a good invention.

6. DK Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 4:57 pm

I think Ed’s invention is far more pratical and the general public will be more likely to purchase…All of the inventions were good, however Ed’s is the BEST.

7. gf Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 5:14 pm

hi

8. michelle Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Hi:

In case anyone is interested, we just wanted to let folks know many of the Final 12 will be involved in a live blog on Sunday, May 21 at AmericanInventorSpot.com at 9pm, est to discuss the show and their experiences.

We hope everyone will come and ask questions and chat with the Final 12.

9. nanook Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 6:41 pm

Am I the only one who became sick of the way the white judges were just doting all over the 2 black contestants? Give me a break. All of us white people know it is part of the social agreement that we must treat blacks with kid gloves and oh so tenderly so that we do not bruise their fragile egos, and especially so that we do not appear “racist”, but this was just so over the top it was ridiculous!!

10. Anonymous Says:
    May 13th, 2006 at 5:19 am

Actually they only gave a great review to the Word Ace(talking about the black people issue here) and they had a good reason. They didn’t just do it so that they wouldn’t look racist. The idea was great and the commercial was also great. Ed and Janusz got the best reviews of the night.

Are they going to announce the winner next week already? I’m confused

11. Anonymous Says:
    May 13th, 2006 at 5:24 am

Never mind about when they announce the winner.

12. Jeff Manning Says:
    May 13th, 2006 at 9:13 am

This show was good but could have been great. The worst part of the show was how often they repeat footage within each of the episodes. How many times can they recap the same thing over and over again. I found myself fast forwarding through a lot of the series because I had already seen the footage previously. Hopefully they will correct this if there is a next season.

13. Clarence Gillispie Says:
    May 13th, 2006 at 9:36 am

The inventor show concept was great but they rerunned it and drug it to death. I waited all my life to view a show like this and
    TV experts nearly ruined it.
    The AD Company nearly ruined the inventors products until some of the inventors personally took charge and changed the commericals. What a loser AD company they hired to do the commericals. Their creativity dept certainly lacked creative people. There is a lot of potential for this show
    if they tighten it up. My personal rating,1 Word Ace, 2 the car seat,3 foot ball catch it! 4 the double bike.
    That car seat will save many infant lives every day!
    I suspect that all inventoors will be winners because each idea is marketable!

14. Beth Says:
    May 14th, 2006 at 12:48 pm

If Janusz Liberkowski does not win, I will be very disapointed! The other inventions does not hold a candle compared to Janusz’s baby car seat! Let’s see…one invention helps people catch a football, another one let’s 2 people ride a bike, and another one is a game! Compared to something that could save babies lives! Also, I wonder why there were no women in the finals? Hmmmm….

15. gina teachman Says:
    May 16th, 2006 at 10:59 am

what day,time,and channel is it going to be on when they annonce the winner of the american inventer?

16. gina teachman Says:
    May 16th, 2006 at 11:02 am

please! when are they going to annonce the winner? date,time,and channel please.

17. godwoodyforrest Says:
    May 16th, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Car seat ingenius. Life is our most valuable possession.

18. rob Says:
    May 17th, 2006 at 10:18 am

Whomever wins, I think the other inventors will fare well with their ideas (with all the publicity from the show), with the exception of the bike. How can you see what’s in front of you when someone is in front of you in a rised position? That seems like a dangerous idea to me. I wouldn’t buy it, or let my kids ride it.

19. simmssays Says:
    May 17th, 2006 at 7:56 pm

In case you haven’t heard, ABC confirmed a season 2 for American Inventor.

Details are at http://www.americaninventorspot.com

20. Wesman Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 8:21 am

I totally think this show could have hit it out of the ballpark, if not for the slow pace and repetetiveness. I remember, it started off with a bang on the first episode with the “bladder buddy guy”. That was hilarious and an excellent way to grab the viewers attention. They then proceeded to show this invention 3 WEEKS IN A ROW!! Sure the guy was outrageous, but show us some other ones. What I really hate is the way they would pan out over the crowd, and you can SEE all the other inventions, and plenty LOOK interesting, but they never get shown.
    Then the show would spend an HOUR of every show recapping a bunch of inventions we already saw. Next season, they should have the ‘failed’ auditions a la American Idol.
    Perhaps, my theory anyway, they want to save some of the inventions we didn’t see because they will inevitably show up next year. To keep it fresh.

Finally, they should let viewers have a little more say in which ones go through, not just the final show.

21. Wesman Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 8:22 am

22. angela Taylor (Hall) Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 10:33 am

I feel all the inventions are great in their on own right, but only one inventor can win. I feel Ed Hall should win because education is the reason all these inventors are here today. I feel Word Ace is the future for the next inventor. Our children need educational games to improve production in the classroom.

23. Angela Taylor Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 10:36 am

I feel all the inventors are great in their on own right, but only one inventor can win. I feel Ed Hall should win because education is the reason all these inventors are here today. I feel Word Ace is the future for the next inventor. Our children need educational games to improve production in the classroom.

24. radioguy Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 12:13 pm

I have really enjoyed “American Inventor” this year. I think that each step in the progression of the show has been interesting, but they really should have found a way to announce the winner one episode earlier. (They just seem to be dragging it out a bit too much.)
    My pick for the American Inventor would be the guy with the Word Ace. It just seems like a solid product, not just educational, but fun for everyone.
    I appreciate the idea behind Janusz Liberkowski’s safety seat. But like others have said, there just hasn’t been enough testing. To me, and I am not an engineer, it looks like it would snap thousands of necks each year. Child safety is great, but this product scares me.

25. Ginger Says:
    January 4th, 2007 at 11:56 am

Where can I get a download of American Inventor Finale episode? Please help!

Comments