So You Think You Can Dance Returns On May 25

May 18, 2006 01:51 PM by Joe Blackmon

Last summer’s smash hit SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE returns Thursday, May 25, for an all-new season hosted by the UK’s hottest television personality, Cat Deeley. The best undiscovered dancing talent the U.S. has to offer will endure a grueling competition to become America’s No. 1 dancer. What happens when dancers whose specialized training runs from ballroom and ballet to salsa, jive, hip-hop and krumping are put to the test? Some contestants may collapse under the pressure, and some will reveal their two left feet.  But only one will dance his or her way into America’s heart. The series, produced by 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions, will have its second season premiere with dance auditions in New York and Charleston Thursday, May 25 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

The following week, auditions continue in Chicago Wednesday, May 31 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Los Angeles Thursday, June 1 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), as SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE moves to its regular time period.

The judges invite over 100 talented dancers who spark their interest during auditions to call-backs in Las Vegas, where they work with five of America’s top choreographers: Brian Friedman, Mia Michaels, Shane Sparks, Mary Murphy and Ron Montez.  In the Las Vegas Round episodes airing Wednesday, June 7 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Thursday, June 8 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), the judges will select the Top 20 finalists – 10 males and 10 females.

Then America helps decide who continues in the competition. The first performance show featuring the Top 20 dancers, performing as couples, will air Wednesday, June 14 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). The following night, Thursday, June 15 (9:00-10:00 PM live ET/tape-delayed PT), the first LIVE results show will reveal who will keep dancing and who will go home.

Las Vegas Judges / Choreographers:

Nigel Lythgoe serves as executive producer of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE as well as one of its choreographer/judges. One of the UK’s most respected TV talents, Lythgoe began his career at the age of 10 as a dancer. Later, he switched to choreography for “The Young Generation” dance group and went on to choreograph over 500 television shows around the world, including shows for Engelbert Humperdinck, The Muppets and five Royal Variety Performances. Lythgoe became a household name as a tough judge on the UK series "Popstars," leading him to be dubbed "Nasty Nigel" by viewers. He has produced multiple shows, including "Gladiator," "Pop Idol" and the British version of "Survivor,” which he also directed.

Lythgoe, currently the President of 19 Television, joined 19 as Chief Executive in 2001 from London World Television (LWT), where he was controller of entertainment and comedy. Lythgoe’s executive-producer credits include all five seasons of the No. 1 televison show AMERICAN IDOL, “All American Girl” and currently SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.

Brian Friedman has choreographed some of the top performers of our time, including Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, Pink, Beyoncà and Mya. Friedman has also had the opportunity to work with *NSYNC, Prince and Usher.  He has a dance instructional DVD titled “Freestyle.”

Mia Michaels just completed choreography for Cirque du Soleil’s newest show “Delirium,” and is the choreographer for Celine Dion’s “A New Day” show at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. She has created routines for a cast of 50 dancers, as well as for Celine Dion. Michaels has worked with artists such as Madonna, Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan and Prince.  She is the founder, artistic director and choreographer for the critically acclaimed New York-based dance company RAW and has held faculty positions at the Alvin Ailey Dance Company and the International Dance Festival of Italy.

Mary Murphy serves as a national dance judge, technical dance teacher, competitive dancer and founder of the Champion Ballroom Academy in San Diego, CA.  Murphy and her partner were the Austrian National Champions in 1990 and ’91 and performed together in the World Cup Final. She has coached Mary Steenburgen, Donnie Wahlberg, Julia Roberts, Dennis Quaid, Lorenzo Lamas and Ted Danson for various roles.  She continues to train champion dancers in her studio and co-organizes two national dance competitions: the San Diego Dancesport Championships and the Holiday Dance Classic in Las Vegas.

Shane Sparks  has worked with artists such as Lindsay Lohan, Marques Houston, Omarion of B2K on the film “You Got Served,” and with new R&B sensation O’Ryan (Omarion’s younger brother) on the video “Take It Slow,” as well as his promotional tour. Sparks was also the choreographer for *NSYNC’s 2004 “Challenge for the Children” Celebrity Basketball Game at the Office Depot Center in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Sparks was a judge for the 2004 World Hip-Hop Championship and a choreographer for the Wade Robson workshop held in Miami.

Ron Montez, a seven-time undefeated United States Professional Latin Champion, achieved fourth place in the World Professional Latin Championships held at the Royal Albert Hall in London and has reached the finals of the prestigious British Championship in Blackpool, England. Montez was the co-host and expert commentator for the television series “Championship Ballroom Dancing,” which was co-hosted by Rita Moreno, the late Juliet Prowse, Barbara Eden and Sandy Duncan. Currently an examiner for DIVIDA (Dance Vision International Dance Association), Montez evaluates both amateur and professional dancers seeking to obtain certification. His instructional tapes and DVDs including bronze, silver and gold levels are available to the public.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment, Ltd. and dick clark productions. It is executive-produced by Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe and Allen Shapiro.

Topics: So You Think You Can Dance |

30 Responses to “So You Think You Can Dance Returns On May 25”

1. Anonymous Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 3:53 pm

I know that Lauren Sanchez is not returning to host the aforementioned show this season due to pregnancy. I wish she would be back next year on that show, or better yet, to co-host the American Idol for next season with Ryan Seacrest. Until then, I miss her since she is just gorgeous and sexy.

2. Ray Howell Says:
    May 25th, 2006 at 4:49 pm

How do you become a contestant on “so you think you can dance

3. Eve Says:
    May 25th, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Hey,, I was trying to figure out when this show would have auditions again and it was no where in the net.. I even read that there might not be another one. Untill i saw the previews. i was very upset cuz i couldn’t try-out in time.. when are the try outs for next season? does anybody know?

4. Jordan Ramil Says:
    May 25th, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Why oh why did you cut the best dancer of all just because he can’t do the freakin’ lyrical freakin’ dance! I would like to see that judge do the hip-hop break dance stuff he did. She couldn’t do it because that’s not her thing, now she is still her she is still famous for her style of dancing. Now are you going to take someone’s chance at being famous just because he can’t do what she can do? Exactly. So think about all that information I gave you, and think about your decision to cut him, and know that the audience does not like most of your decisions. IM 12 YEARS OLD!

5. Khristina Says:
    May 25th, 2006 at 11:42 pm

I wanted to say thank you to Mia for sticking up for people with differences or disabilities. It tells me a lot about what kind of person you are. I am referring to the “little person” on the show on Thursday May 25. Forgive my terminalogy. I have a daughter with a disability and I was very disgusted in the attitudes of the other judges. If the young man didn’t have the skills that is one thing but to not give him a change because you can’t find him a parnter or because you can’t adapt your programs only shows the weekness in the skill of the choreographer, program or the judges. I love the show but was very upset that the young man was treated in such a manner that he felt he had to walk off. I know many families in our area who have special needs children that are very affended by this show. I hope that you look at this carefully as many of our children do watch and dream as any other child does.
    Khristina
    Lethbridge,AB Canada

6. jesse Says:
    May 25th, 2006 at 11:48 pm

I also was trying to find info on where to audition for So You Think You Can Dance. Hopefully, there will be another season of this. I really like the show and wanted to try for it.

7. Darby Says:
    May 27th, 2006 at 3:16 pm

I look forward to next week when Mary Murphy will be judging. Along with Nigel I believe her appraisel is the most professional. She is interesting to watch and appears to be enjoying her job both as a choreographer and judge. She is an exceptional asset on the show “So You Think You Can Dance”

8. Marty Says:
    June 1st, 2006 at 3:45 pm

First show, too slow and no Brian Friedman! Brian is the best judge on the show.

9. sue moore Says:
    June 8th, 2006 at 7:58 pm

I enjoy the show, the dancing and the judges comments, but the sounds of Mary Murphy’s laughs really irritate me.I wish Mary would just laugh quietly like the other judges.

10. Amanda Says:
    July 21st, 2006 at 1:53 pm

I really want the first and second season of “So you think you can dance” on DVD. Is there anywhere I can get it… Does anyone know if the producers are planning to releace any…

email me if you know..
    A.T

11. Patti Says:
    September 16th, 2006 at 4:31 pm

If any one knows where and when auditions for 2007 season are please let me know. Dance is my pasion and im goin crazy every day tryin to find these dates and i have had no luck……HELP PLEASE!!!!!

12. sharra Says:
    November 25th, 2006 at 12:00 pm

when and where are the auditions for the 2007 season!?!?

13. Dany. D Says:
    December 11th, 2006 at 5:07 pm

Hello, I would like much to know if a forthcoming season ago of “So you think you can dance? , and if so, can you tell me all the dates of auditions, because I would like to try to take part. Thank you very much in advance. Dany Quebec, Canada

14. Kassandre Renee Says:
    January 19th, 2007 at 9:11 pm

As Posted In Dance Spirit Magazine:

March 1-3 NYC

March 8-10 Chicago

March 22-24 LA

4th Location TBA

please keep cheching back to Fox.com click Now Casting Icon at bottom of page and also refer back to Fox.com/dance for more info

Good Luck!!!

15. lucie daniel Says:
    February 1st, 2007 at 3:44 am

hello, i want to participate on the show but i dont know were the audition is going to be @. please write me back to let me know

16. bethiore p Says:
    February 1st, 2007 at 4:44 am

how much does it cost to get on the show after the auditions.

17. Anonymous Says:
    February 1st, 2007 at 6:37 pm

So You Think You Can Dance Season 3 Audition Dates!

Fox’s hit show is holding open castings across America!

We are looking for great dancers! Great Performers! All Styles! All Dancers!

Dress to impress……Stand out from the crowd……and show us what you’ve got!

IMPORTANT: You MUST check http://www.fox.com regularly for essential
    information regarding your audition, your music options and ALL
    audition updates.

Bring yourself to the following locations on the audition dates listed
    below and be prepared to stay for an extra two days for potential call
    backs.

Major Open Casting Calls!
    8 :00 am – Doors open for registration

660 Peachtree Street NE
    Atlanta, GA 30308

Call Back Dates:
    Friday, April 6, 2007
    Saturday, April 7, 2007
    —-

If you are unable to attend the main audition date, producers will TRY
    to see you on the call back dates.

.. Your own music must be on CD format only.

.. This must be an ‘original’ song commercially available and it can
    not be a re-mix of a song, or a song downloaded from the internet or
    websites.

.. You must be prepared to dance to another song from a list provided
    at the audition.

.. The lines for the audition will be long, so please bring food and water.

.. Casting is open to persons between the ages of 18 and 30 at the
    time of the audition who are either U.S. citizens, permanent residents
    of the U.S., or possess a current legal visa allowing them to seek
    employment in the U.S. without restriction as to employer.

.. When available, you will need to print out the audition form, fill
    it out and bring it with you to the auditions.

** Check the official website at http://www.fox.com/dance soon for the
    official audition form**

18. Karen Clarke Says:
    March 4th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

I would really like to find out if it is possible for me to buy series 1 & 2 of the show-So you think you can dance-on dvd or video.

19. Brett Glynn Says:
    March 12th, 2007 at 10:05 am

Heya, Im am also after the DVD of the series (all seasons, if available). Im from Australia, and can’t wait for the show to come to Oz!, cause I’m there!, and I don’t think I can dance, I know I can :-)
    Please if anyone knows of any DVD’s avaialble that would be brillant!. Email me for details. Cheers, Brett.

20. christina Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

I was just wondering when the premiere date of “So you think you can Dance” will be aired on television.

21. Sher Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 10:13 am

Hi people… I’m from Australia & would like to know if the second season is out on DVD??? Can’t find it anywhere! Could someone PLEASE enlighten me???
    Many Thanks…
    Sher..x

22. Jessika Says:
    July 28th, 2007 at 11:35 pm

hey guys! i know it has been said before but i am really interested in buy the seasons of so you think you can dance im from australia and have been searching for it since the show started/finished..if anyone at all could help me i would be gretly appreciative!! thanks os much

xx

23. Pete Says:
    August 16th, 2007 at 8:22 pm

This show like “Dancing with the Stars” more than likely will never be released on DVD as too many companies are involved in the production and distribution of the series, I am sorry to say. ABC produces “Dancing with the Stars” but the exclusive worldwide distribution is locked to BBC World after it is initially broadcasted on ABC in the USA.

With “So you think you can dance” the same BAD distribution arrangement was made between Fox (USA source producer) and 19 Entertainment who control distribution rights of the show after its initial broadcast. Thus unless Fox is willing to basically buy back all the distribution rights from 19 at a LARGE cost as they are still processing and selling them for new release in some markets especially non English speaking where the shows are redubbed, these shows will more than likely not see the DVD distribution anytime soon.

24. Aldric Whitesides Says:
    August 20th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

When is the next try outs outs for season four

25. Annie Says:
    September 13th, 2007 at 6:58 pm

If it’s released on dvd, could you please let me know?

26. Jackie Says:
    September 16th, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Please can someone tell me when the next try outs are for Season 4. I really want to try out. Thanks so much.

27. Connie Says:
    October 10th, 2007 at 1:46 am

Audition info will be posted on Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance site after Jan 08. They will likely be in NYC, LA, Chicago…amd somewhere in the South that hasn’t been announced yet. You can sign up for their newsletter, but I would recommend checking the site itself. There is NO cost to audition…and FWIW, there should never be a cost to audition for any legit production.

28. AMC Says:
    October 21st, 2007 at 12:27 pm

did anyone ever receive a response to whether or not the seasons will be put out on DVD? i am definitely interested in season 2 & 3 if they are.

29. Bob Says:
    October 21st, 2007 at 12:57 pm

I also want the DVD of 1,2, and 3 which has since come out. Can someone email me where to get it from.

30. Jose Quinones Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Can anybody please tell me the minimum age to audition? Thanks.

Comments