The Amazing Race 9 Winners Are The Hippies

May 18, 2006 12:41 AM by Joe Blackmon

Hippies_winBJ & Tyler, Eric & Jeremy, and Ray & Yolanda start the next to last leg of the Amazing Race by retrieving T-mobile sidekicks from elephants.  All three teams then travel to Tokyo, Japan.  Eric & Jeremy and Ray & Yolanda catch the first flight, but BJ & Tyler get stuck on a later flight.  In a busy Japanese intersection, teams are directed by a video billboard to find Hachiko, which is a dog statue.  The Detour is choice between “Maiden” and “Messenger.”  In “Maiden,” teams must carry a maiden.  In “Messenger” teams must assemble a bike and carry a message.

After the Detour, teams race to the Capsule Land Hotel.  After the hotel, teams race to Fujikyu Highland amusement park.  The roadblock is three consecutive thrill rides, where teams have to memorize a message during one of the rides.  Teams then race to Lake Yamanaka, where they take a duck boat and paddle to the big swan.  BJ & Tyler finish first, and Eric & Jeremy finish second.  Ray & Yolanda finish in last place, but it turns out to be a non-elimination leg.  However, as a penalty, Ray & Yolanda lose everything and receive no money for the next leg of the race.

In the final leg of the race, teams travel to Anchorage Alaska.  At Mirror Lake, the Detour is a choice between “Drill It” and “Deliver It.”  In “Drill It,” teams must drill ten fishing holes in the ice and set up an ice fishing shack.  In “Deliver It,” teams must fly to deliver medical supplies.  Teams search Kincaid Park for their next clue that directs them to fly to Denver, Colorado.

Teams race first to Golden, Colorado and then to Red Rocks Amphitheater.  In the Roadblock, one team member must find and then arrange flags in the order of the countries they have visited on the race.  BJ & Tyler finish the roadblock first and race to the finish line.  The hippies are the winners of the Amazing Race 9, and they win one million dollars.  After Phil Keoghan asks if they are going to keep their look now that they’ve won all this money, BJ & Tyler respond “If it’s this successful to be hippies, then we might as well stay hippies.”  Eric & Jeremy finish second, while Ray & Yolanda finish last.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for Amazing Race news.  For other great Amazing Race news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Amazing Race.

Topics: Amazing Race |

19 Responses to “The Amazing Race 9 Winners Are The Hippies”

1. JILL Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 1:19 am

FINALLY THE HIPPIES WIN! YEAH!

2. Ray Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 4:08 am

I just didn’t want to see Eric and Jeremy win. Good work Hippies!!!

3. herson Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 7:42 am

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the hippies won… i supported them since the start….. good job… tatao… hehehe…=)

4. Snowden Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 9:50 am

Where do you get the great red pants worn by the hippies? I understand they are aerodynamic!

5. Dan Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 11:26 am

I agree with Jill, I would have rather had Ray and Yolanda win than Eric and Jeremy…bunch of arrogant, horny idiots, that’s what they were. Right from the beginning, I wanted either the Hippies, the Nerds, or Fran and Barry to win (old people rock!); too bad they didn’t last longer. I’m just upset I missed the Hippies on Regis and Kelly… :(

Overall, a very good season. Hope the next one is as good.

6. Angel Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 11:41 am

What can I can say to Team Brokeback: Payback is a bitch! The internet trick is nothing compare what you do to their taxi.

Team Brokeback really showed their geography ignorance when they said “That must be Mount Tokyo.”

7. Nicki Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 12:25 pm

8. Penny Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 1:01 pm

You must be watching a different show. When was the Frat Brothers funny?

I’d like them more if they come out of the closet. Didn’t Jeremy called Eric “baby” at the last roadblock?

9. Agnes Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 12:02 am

I’m so happy for the Hippies. Go Hippies! I love what they said about being in the moment and just being happy and giving back what they were given. They’re so great. They deserved to win. Woohoo!

10. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 12:59 am

GO HIPPIES!!!! The Frat boys were so unkind to them. They didn’t even look at them when they congratulated them. Geez be happy for them! They were so kind with everyone (except for MOJO with a reason of course). They gave back what the other teams have given to them.

11. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 1:00 am

“Whatever! I too loved, the hippies…but you have to adimit the frat boys were funny. All guys are horny…they just admit it!”

It was disrespectful since one of the Frat boys has a gf. I don’t remember which one, but you might want to look on the internet.

12. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 1:19 am

Ta Tall@@@@

13. Marie Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

I’m so happy the hippies won! I hated them when the show first started, but their goofiness didn’t seem contrived — to us anyway. I would’ve been happy if Ray/Yolanda had won, too, but the hippies brought the fun back to the race. Yay, Hippies!

14. denise Says:
    May 20th, 2006 at 5:20 pm

but you guys, didn’t you think that one of the hippies was too cocky when they were in Japan? and played dirty game against Eric and Jeremy? well, I hated to see eric and jeremy win but one of hippies was too cocky
    saying “I feel like I’m home blar blar…” in japan. frat boys are… just boys.
    horny boys. uneducated boys. actually, I would’ve been happy if Ray/Yolanda had won really. damn,it’s over.

15. Angel Says:
    May 20th, 2006 at 6:22 pm

To Denise. I still think Team Brokeback’s taxi stunt was much worst. The Frats were cockey when they said “Man, They Should Have Used Their Fake Names.” Besides I don’t think hippies internet stunt had much impact on Eric/Jeremy’s standing anyway.

RAYO would have won if they had a story(Besides being the Token feuding couple) or a sense of direction.

16. san Says:
    May 21st, 2006 at 8:26 am

YES!!! hippies totally deserve it! they went to all the country with wide eyes & respect those ppl, if there was any team who could do well in the final road block, it would be them!
    what’s up with the frat boys said hippies played dirty, when they cancell other’s taxi? who more “dirty”?

17. preppypunk Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Casting info for next season can be here:
    You can find more by clicking on the “Casting Call” tag below the post.

18. Penny Ramsey Says:
    June 4th, 2006 at 1:47 am

Why are we arguing about this? Team Brokeback and the hippies are friends now.

19. Josh Says: