Ryan Star Initially Turned Down Rock Star Supernova

July 18, 2006 10:12 PM by Joe Blackmon

Ryan_star_2

Ryan Star was already selling out shows as an Indie artist before he got the call that he had been selected for Rock Star Supernova.  In an exclusive interview with Reality TV Magazine, Ryan Star said “when they told me I made it I actually turned it down.”  However, Ryan did eventually decide to go forward with Rock Star, and he tells Reality TV Magazine if he wins then he believes "with me they would actually record more than one album" and how some of his fellow rock stars “should be up for an Emmy.”

Reality TV Magazine:  What made you apply for Rock Star?

Ryan Star: I heard about the Rock Star audition from a friend in the industry.  They held them a few blocks from my apartment in the east village in NYC.  So I thought, what the hell, it could be fun, but I had no intention of actually doing it.  In fact, when they told me I made it I actually turned it down.  In NY, I am an Indie artist emerging from sold out shows and I thought this is the opposite of Indie. Now I am happy to bring some integrity to a show like this.

Reality TV Magazine:  At the time that you applied did you know the winner would be fronting a band consisting of Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted, and Gilby Clarke?

Ryan Star:  When I tried out, I actually thought they were looking for a singer first and the show would be built around finding a band so I had no idea it was going to be Tommy, Jason and Gilby.  If it were some cheesy band, I would not be here.

Reality TV Magazine:  Can you describe your emotions over the thought of leading a band made up of these rock n’ roll legends?

Ryan Star:  I would front them great.  I believe with me they would actually RECORD MORE than one album.  I can’t say the same for anyone else here.

Reality TV Magazine:  Did you watch the first season of Rock Star?

Ryan Star:  I knew of the 1st season and actually caught a few performances and was impressed by the talent and the vibe.  It clearly was not American idol.  I was a big INXS fan so the whole thing was a little too creepy and sacrilegious for me.  This year is a much better idea.

Reality TV Magazine:  Did you have a favorite/least favorite in the first season of Rock Star?

Ryan Star:  Since I have been here I have been able to hang with Mig a bunch so I’ll have to go with my new friend.  I know he’s big with the moms so I told him to call his album MILF.

Reality TV Magazine:  Do you have a strategy for winning Rock Star?

Ryan Star: My strategy is simple and pure.  I will be myself.  I will sing from my heart.  Unlike the other contestants here, I have never sang cover songs.  The only one I ever did was a cool dark acoustic version of Nine Inch Nails “Head Like a Hole.”  I am still getting comfortable with the whole TV and reality thing but the hardest adjustment so far that I am trying to get past is the performing a cover song for only 90 seconds.  I take a minute just to get warmed up to it, it is really strange.  Once I figure that out you will see me become a contender on the show.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Reality TV Magazine:  Can you give us some details on your previous music experience?

Ryan Star:  I started playing music before I can remember.  I have a bunch of siblings so anytime they tried to play an instrument and didn’t like it I would just pick it up and make it mine.  Drums, guitar, bass, saxophone, piano, lots of music.  In high school, age 15, my childhood friends and I formed a band called Stage and we played all the way through college getting bigger and bigger until Madonna signed us to Maverick Records.  The album and the experience were incredible but unfortunately the label fell short of getting us out there and the blow we all took ultimately destroyed the spirit of 145 year old boys with the dreams.  I moved on last year and started playing in NYC as R. Star.  I released a twenty song album of sketches titled” songs from the eye of an elephant” and it quickly gained steam.  Before I came out to do this show I was selling out venues and selling albums.  That is why it was such a tough decision to make to do this.

Reality TV Magazine:  Can you tell us what this opportunity on Rock Star means to you?

Ryan Star:  I believe TV is the new record label.  It knows how to get music out to the world.  My dream is to play for as many people as possible.  That is why I am here.  Either I will lead Supernova or I will continue my solo career.  In both situations I play music.  I win.

Reality TV Magazine: Of your fellow Rock Star competitors is there anyone that jumps out at you as someone you will either like or dislike?

Ryan Star:  Magni is a genuine guy.  Other than that, these people stand in the way of my dream.  There is a saying, “don’t believe everything you see on TV.”  Sometimes I feel the people in this house should be up for an Emmy if you know what I mean.  I am a nice guy and very easy to get along with but I am here to work hard and achieve my dream.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for Rock Star: Supernova news.  For other great Rock Star: Supernova news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Rock Star: Supernova.

Topics: Rock Star |

11 Responses to “Ryan Star Initially Turned Down Rock Star Supernova”

1. derickism Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 9:43 pm

A true artist with real, raw, passion and the vocals in this world that will create the greatest performance and record ever in THIS time…i like how he keeps it true to the roots.

2. Seriously? OMG! WTF? Says:
    July 20th, 2006 at 4:38 pm

Ryan Star almost turned down Supernova

Ryan Star was already selling out shows as an Indie artist before he got the call that he had been selected for Rock Star Supernova. In an exclusive interview with Reality TV Magazine, Ryan Star said when they told me I made it I actually…

3. Theresa Romagos Says:
    August 25th, 2006 at 5:15 am

hi ryan star the dark horse! dont listen 2 dilana she is jealous of u! her attitude is 2 put u down! dont worry fans have more good support than dilana. dilana showed her true colors r very nasty! dilana should know better! she is like simon cowel from american idol or janice dickenson from american next top model! good luck! i hope u win 2! i hope u put dilana down by entertaining on stage better than her. i dont beieve u guys will get along in a long run! i hope dilana is gone!stay cool bro! good luck! bye! sydney australia theresa

4. Emily Says:
    August 31st, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Ryan I can not believe you got kicked off!!! so upset I was so sold on you when you sang REM awesome!! yeah the other people on the show can sing but not like you, so keep your head up you apparently had alot going for you before the show and now you have even more so great job and keep singing you will always have the support of a lot of fans.

5. terry grant Says:
    September 1st, 2006 at 11:15 am

Ryan is the lucky one. He does not need to tour with that group.

6. Jillian Says:
    September 2nd, 2006 at 1:30 pm

Dearest Ryan,
    You are such a true and exceptional talent.

Although the boys in Supernova have made the ill-fated decision to let you go, obviously, said decision was in your best interest! You my dear have a great long winding road in front of you, and, I for one cannot wait to see where it leads!

You always showed yourself to be a man of great character on that crazy show and that must have been hard to do.

Thank you for the beautiful music (in all aspects!) and thank you for being you.

Hugs and kisses, Jillian

7. Jillian Says:
    September 2nd, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Dearest Ryan,
    You are such a true and exceptional talent.

Hugs and kisses, Jillian

8. Ivelisse Says:
    September 2nd, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Dear Ryan: great answer to the band!!!!! I am very happy you said something. Believe me the faces they express on the show was like OH,OH (feeling kind of guilty). Well, too bad for them. There is a reason for everything and I’m positive you are going to succeed, because singing is your passion. Keep working hard for your goal and you will see the results. You have the talent. Take care and the best for you. Ivelisse

9. Kim Says:
    November 6th, 2006 at 12:50 am

Awesome article!

10. www.lake-shore.co.uk Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 9:37 am

Dearest Ryan,
    You are such a true and exceptional talent

11. www.sugar-shoes.co.uk Says:
    October 22nd, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Great site keep up the good work

Comments