The One – Who Will Go Home First?

July 19, 2006 12:32 AM by Joe Blackmon

Austin_carrollThe One singers perform on stage for the very first time together, singing appropriately enough “Feels Like The First Time.”  Host George Stroumboulopoulos introduces the judges Mark Hudson, Andre Harrell, and Kara DioGuardi.  Jackie Mendez sings “Hot Stuff.”  Andre Harrell says she looks like a “Cuban dessert.”  Mark says she almost changed the color of his beard.  Kara says she “nailed the ending.”

Jeremiah Richey sings “When You Love Someone.”  Kara says “you really did me proud tonight.”  Andre says “you were like a movie star from Texas playing Jeremiah.”  Jadyn Maria sings “You Keep Me Hanging On.”  Mark says “Those notes when I was so hoping you would just nail with power, you still didn’t.”  Andre calls her “ferocious.”  Kara says she is hot and sweet.

Syesha Mercado sings “Chain Of Fools.”  Andre says “I think you started off a little bit shaky and you were acting, but I think by the time you got to the end, you were truly a soul singer, and it was great.”  Kara says “I think at time you were a bit theatrical.”  Mark says “You can make a rock n’ roller like me testify.”  Michael Cole sings “Devil With A Blue Dress On.”  Mark calls him “the good bad boy.”  Kara says “you should do whatever you want.”  Andre says “one thing for sure, you’re definitely not a bum.”

Austin Carroll sings “The Weight.”  Kara says “you have greatness in you.”  Andre says “you make us feel.”  Aubrey Collins sings “Born To Be Wild.”  Andre says “I didn’t believe that.”  Mark says “I work with a lot of rock people and you are right there with them.”  Kara says “at times I feel it’s a little flat.”

Nick Brownell sings “Let’s Get It On.”  Kara says “we’re going to be getting it on, me and you.”  Mark says “there is some work to be done.”  Andre says “I don’t know what you were thinking about, but it wasn’t sexy like Marvin sang it.”  Scotty Granger sings “Ain’t To Proud To Beg.”  Andre says “you killed that.”  Mark says “it was great.”  Kara says “you had feeling.”  Caitlin Evanson sings “Addicted To Love.”  Mark says “you nailed it.”  Andre says “I love that raspy rock soul country thing you’ve got.”  Kara says “This is Caitlin’s coming out party tonight.”  Adam McInnis sings “American Woman.”  Kara says “a little big pitchy” but “incredible visual image.”  Mark says “you’ve got to let you be Adam and that’s good enough.”  Andre says “I think you’ve got a lot of work to do.”

Austin Carroll stood out as head and shoulders about the rest of the singers and looks to be the frontrunner at this point.  Syesha Mercado, Scotty Granger, and Jeremiah Richey also seemed to have potential.  Who will be in the bottom three?  Our prediction is Jackie Mendez (the curse of going first on a two hour show is that people forget you unless you’re spectacular), Jadyn Maria, and Aubrey Collins.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for The One: Making A Music Star news.  For other great The One: Making A Music Star news, please also check out SirLinksALot: The One Making A Music Star.

Topics: The One: Making A Music Star |

8 Responses to “The One – Who Will Go Home First?”

1. TheTaxmanCommeth Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 2:58 am

The worst piece of trash ever foisted on the American viewing public. This piece of dung will have the worst ratings ever by next week. It will be gone very quickly.

2. Alex Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 7:13 am

I agree.. this sucked a lot. The One tried to combine the pop savvy of American Idol with the rock edge of Rockstar but really turned out a 2-hour dull crap-fest instead.
    The singers aren’t very good or charismatic, the judges have obviously all taken pages out of the Paula handbook where you talk a lot without saying much, the audience participation is almost non-existant, and the host looks disinterested and somewhat lethargic.
    The highly polished feel will disconnect viewers unlike American Idol cheesy packages make you feel like you’re watching some home video that you recorded. I don’t believe watching the contestants acting like Real Worlders will attract any audience. I haven’t found anyone on the show that I like, contestants, judges, or host.
    I’m willing to give it one more chance, but after that.. I think I’m going back to Arrested Development reruns.

3. MountainGirl Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 10:47 am

Gaaak….what a disappointment this was.

Austin was marvelous and should win. Scotty was a victim of the jitters, I think, but can actually sing. As to the rest…..cannon fodder.

People scoff at American Idol, but what you saw on this show last night is the reason why they shouldn’t. Amazing talent IS rare. And it IS only one or two out of tens of thousands who have that kind of potential. And from the look of things, when it comes to pop singers, Idol has the market cornered.

4. Someone Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

America only votes for who the bottom three are. The ones who judge the contestants also train them. These factors lead The One to be a darker and more complex and cutthroat talent show. This may lead to bad ratings.

5. Anonymous Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 3:24 pm

This show sucks. If I want to watch the Real World I’ll change the channel to MTV. I say this show will be canceled after this weeks episode.

6. Draglox Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 3:39 pm

I don’t think so… You guys forget that American Idol had less than 3 million viewers on it’s premiere show. Now it’s the biggest reality series ever.

Oh yeah… I got my money on Syesha

7. Tricky Dee Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 10:13 pm

You have got to be kidding me !!! Is this really the best ABC can do? The worst kareoke bar I’ve ever stumbled into waxed these people badly.

8. 8844 Says:
    July 19th, 2006 at 11:19 pm

This show is terrible.
    Although I liked Austin Caroll’s vocal performance, the rest of the contestants did not impress me with their performances – although they can all sing better than I can.

The set is dreary and dark – like something out of a vampire movie. The judges have nothing good to say. One word comes to mind when comparing this to American idol. Class. This show has no class, because the people who produce it and run it have no class.

And what is all this MTV shack-up garbage. Shame on them for putting these young people in this mess. This is shown during prime time when families are up and about. If I would want to watch a bunch of shack-ups living together, and listen to a host basically encourage them to fornicate and engage in inappropriate behavior, I would just turn on MTV and throw all of my morals out of the door.

What are we teaching people with all this crap TV?

The people that work at ABC and anybody else who made this depressing crap, ought to be fired, and prescribed something like Prozac and some prayers to heal their morbid minds.
    ABC stands for “A Bunch of Crap.”

When is America going to stand up and require wholesome entertainment?

Comments