Clay Aiken To Release A Thousand Different Ways Album

August 15, 2006 11:03 PM by Joe Blackmon

Clay_aiken_albumThe long wait for Clay Aiken fans is over. RCA Records will release the singer’s third album, “A Thousand Different Ways” on September 19th. The project, Aiken’s first outing since 2004, combines 10 cover versions of well-known songs from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s with four brand-new songs.

The album is a follow-up to Aiken’s debut set, “Measure of a Man,” which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart and is certified triple-platinum, as well as the platinum-selling “Merry Christmas with Love,” the best-selling holiday album of the 2004 season.

For Aiken, the new album’s title has multiple meanings. “This is an album of love songs,” he explains, “but they are about all different kinds of love. Romantic love, Friendship, Unconditional love. There are a thousand different kinds of love; a thousand different ways to tell someone you love them. And, on top of that, since so many of these songs are covers, it’s realistic to say that many of them have been or could be sung a thousand different ways.”

In fact, Aiken has put his own spin on some of the well-known songs he has recorded for his new album. “These are songs I heard growing up. I loved them then and I still love them today, but we decided to do them a little differently. They have new arrangements and we put our own style on some of them.”

Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil’s “Here You Come Again,” a No. 3 hit for Dolly Parton in 1978, stands out for Aiken. “I’ve always loved that song,” he says.  “But for this album, we didn’t use a country arrangement. It’s a ballad version now. Adam Anders produced the most amazing arrangement and I couldn’t wait to sing it.”

Aiken credits Chairman CEO BMG U.S., Clive Davis for coming up with the concept for the album. “When we first embarked on making an album, my executive producer Jaymes Foster and I started out with one or two covers, then we had three. We slowly discovered that it’s harder these days to come by songs that are as superb as the songs that I grew up on. Based on that, it was Clive’s brainchild that we take classic love songs of the last 30 years and pair them with four new songs. He is a man who not only knows music, but really has his finger on the pulse of what listeners want to hear.”

Those who have come to expect Aiken to belt out a song won’t be disappointed. The album shows off Aiken’s vocals in a big way with songs like the Bad English hit “When I See You Smile” and Harry Nillsson’s “Without You.” But Aiken will surprise fans by singing in a more relaxed style on some tracks than they have heard before, showing a different, sexier side.

Aiken fans will also be glad to know he was personally involved with the selection of every track and that he participated in every aspect of the album. “For the first album, most of the songs were chosen ahead of time. I was less of a participant in the process. The second album was a Christmas album, so we naturally chose songs of the season. This new album has much more of me in it. Right from the beginning, Clive and Jaymes wanted to find songs that were right for me. Jaymes told me, “Stay in your lane, but remember it’s okay to swerve a little and see where it takes you.’ That’s exactly what we did.

The following is a complete track listing for the much-anticipated “A Thousand Different Ways,” including writer and producer credits:

RIGHT HERE WAITING
Originally recorded by: Richard Marx
Written by: Richard Marx / Produced by: John Fields

WHEN I SEE YOU SMILE
Originally recorded by: John Waite
Written by: Diane Warren / Produced by: John Fields

WITHOUT YOU
Originally recorded by: Badfinger and Then Harry Nilsson
Written by: William Collings, Thomas Evans, Michael Gibbins, Peter Ham, and J.C. Molland
Produced by: John Fields

LONELY NO MORE
(NEW SONG)
Written by: Andreas Carlsson, Samuel Waermo, Mimmi Waermo & Clay Aiken
Produced by: Andreas Carlsson and Samuel Waermo

SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD
Originally recorded by: Elton John
Written by: Elton John & Bernie Taupin
Producer by: Per Magnusson & David Kreuger

EVERYTIME YOU GO AWAY
Originally recorded by: Paul Young
Written by: Daryl Hall
Produced by: Adam Anders

EVERYTHING I DO (I DO IT FOR YOU)
Originally recorded by: Bryan Adams

Produced by: John Fields

BROKEN WINGS
Originally recorded by: Mr. Mister
Written by: Richard Page, John Lang & Steve George
Produced by: Eman

Topics: American Idol, Clay Aiken |

10 Responses to “Clay Aiken To Release A Thousand Different Ways Album”

1. Maricela Says:
    August 15th, 2006 at 11:44 pm

Clay Aiken is my favorite male singer and male entertainer. Clay Aiken is the greatest and the best male musical artist ever!!! Clay Aiken Rules!!!

2. brianne Says:
    August 16th, 2006 at 6:51 am

I would’ve liked more originals, but considering that i actually know and love most of these songs,i can’t wait to hear Clay’s spin on them, especially “I Want To Know What Love Is” with Suzie McNeil. AI and RockStar coming together. How awesome is that?

3. Polly Anna Says:
    August 16th, 2006 at 2:53 pm

Love him or hate him, CA still remains the most successful RUNNER-UP from AI.

I happen to love him and can’t wait for this CD! Three years is too long to wait!

A few snippets from the CD can be heard at Promosquad. Suzy McNeil does a great job on I Wanna Know What Love Is. Their voices sound amazing together!

4. Kath Says:
    August 16th, 2006 at 3:43 pm

It’s about time! We’ve been waiting for Clay’s CD for a LONG time!!!!

I was hoping for more original songs but I’ll take what I can get. Clay is awesome.

Between myself and my 3 daughters, there will be 4 copies of that CD in our house!!!

We love Clay!!

5. Tom Richard Says:
    August 16th, 2006 at 8:40 pm

I hope he does a good job with “Every Time You Go Away”. It’s hard to miss with a Daryl Hall song. Paul Young’s version was nominated for Song of The Year for 1985. The original appeared in 1980 on Hall & Oates’ “Voices” album.

6. Tom Richard Says:
    August 16th, 2006 at 8:40 pm

7. Kicks Says:
    August 17th, 2006 at 8:33 pm

Having this CD of covers is as if Clay is inviting even more ridicule on his lack of artistry and orginality.

He should’ve gone the route of other artists who wants to records thier own music.

Only great material of originals could’ve distracted people from the thinking about the gay sex scandals that surround him.

8. Heidiann Says:
    August 17th, 2006 at 11:13 pm

I would have preferred more originals but if Clay Aiken is singing covers, I am sure I will be forgetting who sang the original in the first place.

I am curious though as to the correlation of covers vs. originals and what that has to do with some scurrilous rumors that some haters like to spread around.
    Has no place at all in this forum.

Nice try though.

9. Donna Lane Says:
    August 19th, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Yes, I’ve heard of Mr. Clay Aiken’s thousands of ways to express. It appears one of them seems to be sleazing for cheap gay sex on the internet and another seems to be parading near-naked in front of a cam to show gay guys what he looks like in hopes of hooking up, if what these men say is true. And considering Mr. Clay Aiken has yet to firmly deny of it, then it appears to me it can be taken as the truth. And according to a class-action lawsuit, there appears to be another way to express it, by running around saying you love Jesus and are straight and then preying on men for sex on the internet and not even having the decency to return their phone calls afterward. And from what the first man says, there is another way Clay expresses himself which is so disgusting it must have been thought up by the “devil” himself. I was SHOCKED. There is nothing wrong with being gay, I have many wonderful gay friends, but lying about it as these men say Clay has, it’s the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. And to use Jesus, our Lord and Savior, as a cover, it just makes me SICK.

AIKEN, YOU’RE FINISHED!!! BEFORE I GIVE YOU A PENNY, YOU BETTER ADDRESS THE CHARGES OF THESE MEN! AS FAR AS I’M CONCERNED, YOU SAYING NOTHING MEANS YOU’RE GUILTY!! IF YOU ARE NOT, THEN YOU BETTER SPIT IT OUT, BECAUSE THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY IS NOT GOING TO SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO USES PEOPLE LIKE THAT! IT MEANS YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A FRAUD!! NOW GET YOUR FRECKLED UGLY SELF TO A MICROPHONE AND START EXPLAINING!!

10. Carson Says:
    August 20th, 2006 at 6:42 pm

Clay Aiken can sing any song better than any artist including the original.

BTW, what does your lying tirade have to do with the topic in this forum? For your information, Mr. Aiken has addressed the lies and rumors that people such as yourself enjoy spreading around.
    Of course, Mr. Aiken’s response includes the word “scurrilous” and you wouldn’t know what the word means anyway. Go look it up.

Comments