Should So You Think You Can Dance Have Two Winners?

August 17, 2006 11:41 PM by Joe Blackmon

Benji_heidiFor the second time, a male dancer has won So You Think You Can Dance.  The streak (if you can call two in a row a streak) has some So You Think You Can Dance fans clamoring for the show to select two winners.  One argument is that the majority of viewers are females who will always likely select a male dancer as the winner.  Another argument is that so much of the competition is based on couples dances that it would seem only natural to crown a male and a female winner.

The argument that the female viewers who make up the viewing audience will always select a male dancer is not necessarily true.  The case can also be argued that American Idol has a very high female viewer percentage, and the American Idol winners have consisted of three females and only two males.  None the less, So You Think You Can Dance probably does skew more heavily female in viewer percentage, because American Idol has become such a cultural phenomenon that every demographic seems to be watching the show.

However, the stronger argument for having two winners is that much of the show does focus on couples dances.  On American Idol, the contestants don’t sing duets for the competition songs, but on So You Think You Can Dance, the contestants do dance together in the competition phase.  Also, the sexes are separated during the eliminations on every show leading up to the finale.  Because viewers are use to seeing separate eliminations for the male and female dancers on every episode, why change that pattern for the finale.  Why not eliminate one male and one female dancer from the final four and have one male and one female winner?

Maybe in the first season, the producers didn’t want to commit to having two prizes for a show that probably seemed like a long shot.  However, now that the show has become a runaway Summer hit, it would seem like two prizes would be well within the budget.  Our feeling is that the show should select both a male and female winner.  With two winners, So You Think You Can Dance could make twice as many fans happy on the finale.  Please post your opinion on if you think So You Think You Can Dance should have both a male and a female winner in the comments section below.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for So You Think You Can Dance news.  For other great So You Think You Can Dance news, please also check out SirLinksALot: So You Think You Can Dance.

Topics: So You Think You Can Dance |

35 Responses to “Should So You Think You Can Dance Have Two Winners?”

1. Angie Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 12:51 am

I conquer! . . . Actually, the first season, I *thought* they were going to have 2 winners – One female and one male.

Wit the whole ideal 1 winner, I dont really like because wat Ive noticed is that the girls will go more for the guy . . .

Ive also noticed that the judges at the Final 4 praise the guys more . . . I thought it was a little bit weird but okay.

I think Everyone should vote for the *BEST* Dancer . . . It is called So You Think You Can Dance? Its not called, So You Think You Can Perform? Perfomance is GOOD, but Dancing should be more important

2. Anonymous Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 12:54 am

I think they should have a male and female winner. Obviously the 12 year olds will vote for the male. And males get the highest number of votes, unless the female is a truly beauty queen, then they get the highest.

3. Karen K Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 12:58 am

I totally believe that there should be a male and a female winner next season as there should have been on seasons I & II. Alot of the votes are probably coming from young, teenaged girls who are into dance and into BOYS so they of course vote for the cute, hot boys on the show. They don’t necessarily vote for the most talented – just the hottest and that unfortunately leaves out the girls. Please, make the contest more fair and give a prize for both a male and a female next year. Season 1 Nick & Melody both deserved to win and this year Benji & Heidi both derserved to win IMO

4. Cait Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 2:19 am

I completely agree with the idea of having both a male and female winner of the show. The reason that stands out for me is the way the show is formatting throughout the season. Each week, both a guy and a girl were voted out, and it’s a bit of a let-down to only have one final winner in the end. As for the larger female demographic watching the show, I feel like this does contribute to the guys getting more votes, but for me, it’s not as big a reason as the first one I wrote about. Hopefully the producers of the show will take this into consideration and maybe next season allow two winners – a guy and a girl.

5. Joan Hofer Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 3:14 am

I truly loved the competion. Benji was a fantastic dancer as were all four of the finalists. It would be nice to have a nale and a female winner. I want to congratulate Benji on his performance and the way he conducted himself. I also was impressed that he had spent two years on a mission for his church. He truly is a special person. Congratulations.

6. kiwicat Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 7:24 am

Weeks ago I said they should have a male and female winner. Hopefully next year they will. I do believe more girls than boys are into dancing. Just attend any dance recital or call any studio. The ratio of girls taking dance to boys is huge. As dancing becomes more popular through shows like this, maybe that will change. I really liked Nick from last year and I thought the top 4 AND Allison were terrific. I’ve got tickets to see them when they come to Denver. YEA!

7. Elle Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 7:36 am

I like it the way it is except maybe the judges might have a say in who is the final winner just like Dancing With The Stars last season when part of the final score was from the fans and from the judges. The fans are going to be for the one they perceive has the best personality and the judges are looking for true talent. Dance, like Idol has evolved into one vast popularity contest.

8. Sharon Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 7:58 am

I agree that there should be a male and female winner. I thought that there would be since the whole season has been geared to the couple thing. Only having one win seems like a rip. Heidi totally deserved to win, too!

9. ER Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 8:13 am

i agree that 2 winners should be the way to go, but being the case i think all 4 of the finalist were amazing, my fav. being Heidi actully she is incredible, especially her personality.

10. Alex Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 8:29 am

I agree! I actually thought that’s the way the competition worked when I first watched it. When they announced there was only one winner, I was a bit surprised and a bit disappointed.

11. benjiandtravisfan Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 8:30 am

I agree that so you think you can dance should have one girl winner and one boy winner because it would be fair. these two years in a row a boy won. If the show doesn’t change to one girl winner and one guy winner. it might never be a girl winning, but i hope a girl wins next year.

12. jen Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 9:17 am

I do agree. We need to have two winners. Both Benji & Travis were deserving and they should have both been declared the winners.

13. Asher Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 10:47 am

I agree that 2 winners would be a nice way to cap off the show. This would have been especially powerful with Benji as the winner…to go on in Celine Dion’s show without Heidi or Donyelle at his side will severly hinder him. His solos were entertaining, but it was as a partner that he excelled.

14. Annie Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 11:23 am

Complete dance talent involves pairs AND solo performance. I think the best four made it to the top, showing that they were best partners and soloists. A man and a woman should be winners because so much of the competition and real dance world involves partners. Voting just one winner has too many variables that the performer can’t control which seems to favor the men. The winner should be a man and a woman who have demonstrated their talent with multiple partners and solos – just like Heidi and Donyelle did.

15. jen Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 11:35 am

To Asher:

Benji has already gone on record that he is not interested in the Celine Dion gig. He said so in his interview with us magazine. Here’s the link.

Besides, I think the Tobey Maguire movie sounds like a much better working for celine.

16. Luz Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 1:47 pm

I agree that females tend to vote for males.But… you gotta admit,Heidi is the bomb. she deserved to win.I was a little dissapointed.The next best won. Benji.

17. Brad N. Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 2:33 pm

I totally think there should be two winners. They dance together, why not have two winners.

18. Greg N. Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 2:35 pm

I think there should be 2 winners. I think Benji is more entertaining with Heidi than by himself. I wish Heidi would have won.

19. jen Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 4:27 pm

I like Benji’s personality the best, but as far as who the best dancer was…hands down it was Travis..he should have won!

20. elaine platt Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 5:34 pm

there should be a best male and best female
    There are different skill sets required of each sex, especially in partner dancing—having men and women as competitors is pitting apples against oranges.
    A good follow should make her lead look good—that’s her job. She shouldn’t then lose to him

21. Hal Says:
    August 18th, 2006 at 10:17 pm

I personally think next year that “So you think you can dance” should be a couple. One male and one female as a couple. This year when the contest was between Benji and Travis, both of them should have won. I look forward to next years show.

22. lia Says:
    August 19th, 2006 at 2:04 pm

First congrads to Benji for winner! Thats awesome. The only problem is that where was the female winner?? Throughout the entire season they had couples dance and each week both a boy and girl were voted off. I was very shocked to see that in the end one dancer won. There should be a couple, the best dancing couple to win.

23. Tony P Says:
    August 20th, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Definetly should have a male and female winner. Doesn’t make sense to choose America’s favorite dancer, but instead America’s favorite male dancer and America’s favorite female dancer. Much of the success of each is due to the partnering, so why not give both the guys and girls a chance to win?

24. diane listenbee Says:
    August 21st, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Of course 2 winners ,its already so hard to choose this year donelle and benji would have been my picks

25. Pam Says:
    August 21st, 2006 at 3:03 pm

As a dance teacher for over 20 years, I do believe it is necessary to select 2 winners. Male and female bodies are totally different and need to be trained to do different things. Technical difficulty will be at different levels for the male and female dancer. There needs to be 2 winners. Right now, it is just a popularity contest.

26. sadie Says:
    August 22nd, 2006 at 7:42 pm

i think that the best dancer should win wether a boy or girl….if a male is a better dancer he should win….if there was a female winner 2 years in a row you people wouldnt be complaining would you?

27. Marlene Says:
    August 25th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

well i think that there should be two winners for the show “so you think you can dance” it would make the show way better….it would be nice to see a female win for once!!!!!
    =)

28. Karma Sea Says:
    August 25th, 2006 at 11:19 pm

How is it fair to someone like Benji who was so clearly one step ahead of everyone else to ask them to share there win with someone else? As a female viewer I have to admit that through out the competition that I did favor Benji and from the early shows know he was going to win, however I thought that most of the girls were better dancers than the most of the other guys, and the setup of the show sucks in that female dancers left the show before some of the guys that they were better than. There is no way to better this setup, but I for one think that making two winners is not a good fix, the best dancer won! Only one should win!

29. dancer67 Says:
    August 26th, 2006 at 7:23 pm

yes they should!! and it should have been allison and travis but thats another story.. i think there shouldnt be two winner.. but there should be ONE female AND ONE male winner!

30. Anita Says:
    August 26th, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Yes, I most assuredly believe there should have been a male and female winner. Most of the show is couples daning. It takes two people to make a couple successful and popular. They should make each other look good. How do you say at the end of the show that we love the one part of the duo and not the other . Benji was part of a partnership that was never in he bottom three and was the only couple intact at the finale. That is an accomplishment for two people not one. I am glad Benji won but he should share that victory with the partner who helped him look good!!
    I am glad you asked this question…

31. jen Says:
    August 26th, 2006 at 9:09 pm

I absolutely agree! Last season I couldn’t decide between Nick and Melody, this season I loved Benji and Donyelle. Esp in this season, when it was hard to really separate B&D in our minds because they were almost always a couple, I think a male and female should both be able to win!

32. Tammy Says:
    August 26th, 2006 at 9:12 pm

I definitely think that there should be a male and female winner. The show focuses so much on couples, why not make the final guy and girl winners? I hope in the future, the show will take this into consideration.

33. Jackie Says:
    August 28th, 2006 at 7:18 pm

Yes, I’m in favor of a male winner and a female winner, however, I’m not sure that I’m going to tune in next season, since Benji and Donyelle won’t be on it. I would have loved to seen both Benji and Donny win.

34. Rachel Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 5:59 am

I thought there was going to be a male AND female winner.. I was disappointed to see that Heidi didn’t win as well as Benji. I actually would’ve liked all four of the final four to win. They were all great! But yes, a male and female winner for next season would be much better.

35. Sridhar Says:
    July 1st, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Hi,My name is sridhar.I am from India and think that singing,dancing competitions should have two winners.I think there should be two winners for you can dance as the contest name is.A boys winner and a girls winner.This would make the competition fair.In singing, I don’t think that boys and girls are in competition with each other,and the same also for dancing.In India all major TV channels have copied this format and the winners have always been boys.
    The Indian audiences don’t tend to vote for girls.So there should be two winners.

Comments