Remembering Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter

September 04, 2006 11:21 AM by Joe Blackmon

Steve_irwin

There is reality television, and then there is reality television.  While we thrill to the exploits of everyday people living on an island with snakes and rats, the reality is that for the most part those survivors are kept out of harm’s way.  Sure, every once in awhile, someone might get stung by a jellyfish, bitten by a baby shark, or fall face first into a campfire, but they aren’t jumping on the backs of crocodiles or playing with poisonous snakes.  Steve Irwin, a.k.a. The Crocodile Hunter, starred in what was by all definitions “reality” television.

Steve Irwin faced death repeatedly on his Animal Planet television show The Crocodile Hunter, and he always did so with a smile on his face and overwhelmingly enthusiasm in educating viewers about reptiles.  While many viewers probably couldn’t help but to cringe in fear as Irwin bravely encountered dangerous animals, Irwin himself was always unfazed and confident in his abilities.

Often Irwin appeared to be only inches out of range of the razor-sharp teeth of a crocodile or the venomous fangs of a poisonous snake, but Irwin always appeared to know exactly how close he could get.  According to a report on Discovery News, Steve Irwin was killed on September 4, 2006 when he swam to close to a stingray.  Apparently deaths caused by stingrays are very rare, but in a freak accident the stingray’s barb went up into Irwin’s chest and pierced his heart.

On the Animal Planet website, Discovery Communications, Inc. has issued a statement mourning the loss of Steve Irwin.  Discovery says they plan to rename the garden space in front of their world headquarters, the "Steve Irwin Memorial Sensory Garden."  Discovery also states that they are looking into the creation of the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter Fund, which they plan to call "The Crikey Fund" as a way of honoring Irwin’s commitment to conservation and the animal kingdom. Steve Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and his children Bindi and Bob.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for Reality Television news.  For other great Reality Television news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Reality Television.

Topics: The Crocodile Hunter |

50 Responses to “Remembering Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter”

1. Cook Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 11:53 am

I am so saddened by the death of Steve Irwin. The animals of the world have lost one of their greatest champions. He loved even the ugly, scaly ones that nobody seemed to care about. I cried like a baby when I heard the news, and no celebrities death has ever affected me like that. My prayers are with his family and friends. RIP Steve-O.

2. Alice Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Oh My God! I can’t belive this has actulay happened! He was a such fearless guy. I was a big fan and I just can’t belive it happened

3. John Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:12 pm

Wow, I can’t beleive this happend… I was always very impressed by him on TV, and I think he was definately one of my heros. ( one of my friends feels the same way too )

My heart goes out to Terri and her children, I can only imagine what they must be going through.

RIP Steve, I will always remember you, and the impact you have had on my life.

4. Romeo Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:16 pm

I feel like I’ve lost a member of my own family. Poor Bindi, he was filming this for her. No words to express how sorry I am.

5. Family Guy Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:19 pm

The thought frequently crossed my mind as he had children. Will he continue these outrageous acts of walking the high wire, or settle down to a more low key position in helping educate us about the animal kingdom so that he can be both a responsible father, and the great conservationist. It’s a shame now that he rolled the dice, leaving his family behind to suffer their loss. I guess he got what he wanted though….to die doing what he loved. I’m sure his family wanted that too…..

Yeah, right. He was great entertainment, but when he started involving his children in his risk, I stopped watching. Keeping in mind that he was doing a documentary on the deadliest animals of the sea, there’s one thing that’s undeniably true…the guy knows, um knew, how to make a point.

6. Sarah Swanson Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:27 pm

I will miss Steve Irwin’s energy and passion. He had such a huge heart for the animals and people. He just seemed like a guy that most of us thought was a little crazy but we admired and connected with him. I am shocked and so saddened that this happened; I thought he was invincible.

7. faye Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:33 pm

what a terrible thing to happen to such a wonderful man and husband and father. He will be sadly missed , my heart goes out to his dear wife terri and his two children . RIP steve .x

8. Raz-from-Romania Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:41 pm

Steve Irwin rest in pace and God forgiv his sins if he had any , and rest his soul in you kingom…
    we’ll miss you a lot :`(

9. One of the many devoted fans Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:48 pm

10. Jason Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Rather than naturalist, I thought of Steve Irwin as a shameless self-promoter, a hyper-active comic book character with mental trouble and a death wish. He was more about his abilty to do the unthinkable and throwing in some creature facts for appearances than he was teaching anyone anything.

I lost all respect for the man when he clearly used comic book judgment and put his infant son at great risk for the sake of a stunt. Then, traveled the world defiantly explaining why he alone amoung mortal men could guarentee that holding a human infant a few feet away from an enormous crocodile was not only absolutely safe but a valuable lesson for his tiny son. I never thought anyone supposedly sane could top Michael Jackson’s balcony fiasco. Pierced through the heart by a sting ray was the cold-blooded world’s delivery of pay-back to Steve Irwin and a warning for humanity: you can only piss off nature for so long. The man was a moron.

11. amanda Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 1:12 pm

This is a tradgedy for Steve Irwins family.He was a enjoyable man to watch on tv. My whole family are saddened today by his death as many people across the world will be. My heart goes out to his family. RIP Steve

12. Diane Leonard Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 1:15 pm

Steve’s wife knew what she was signing up for before she married him and had children. Yes, he left a grieving family behind, but he also left a legacy that will be a constant reminder of what a good man he was, how much people loved him, his zest for life, his passion for all God’s creatures, and the courage, strength and love he so freely demonstrated as a man, a father, and a husband. He truly lived a harmonious life for 44 years – and without fear. God bless Steve’s family during this time of grief. I pray their pain will soon subside and his loving memory will help keep them strong.

13. toni -cheltenham-england Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 1:53 pm

The world is now a much sadder place with out Steve Irwin.The animals he loved so dearly are going to miss a great champion to their cause.Lots of love to all his family. R.I.P STEVE -animal cnampion our hero.

14. marie Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Very sad to hear Steve died. He seemed like a great down to earth guy and family man.

And yes, STeve made a mistake that day with his son. People make mistakes. Can you name one other instance when he ever again put his children in danger? No, b/c he had realized he was wrong and had apologized to the entire world about it. He loved his children and from what I see was a wonderful husband and father. RIP Crocodile Hunter.

15. kolaohinni Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 2:13 pm

My the great Eagle take your spirit to the Creator and may he bless your family while they grieve the lose of a truly great man who loved nature ao deeply .

16. joe Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

steve was a great man and put a smile on everyones face. i cant believe hes gone. he was my hero and even though i am only young he inspired me. i hope that someday i will be working to help nature and all because of steve. i am distraught at this news and his family and friends are in my thoughts. RIP steve-o.

17. MandyNJess4Life Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Wow, what a way to start the day. :( I was extremely shocked and saddened when I heard about Steve’s passing. I really admired him in so many ways and I’m quite sure that the world is mourning with the rest of his family, friends, and fans. The world lost a hero today. Rest in peace Steve and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. God bless you all. :(

~Mandy

18. jordanne Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 3:44 pm

All i can say is WOW!! steve’s death came as a big surprise! people always said that he would` do something someday that would kill him!! well, i guess this was it, the stingray was his death! that is all i can really say, to be honest, i am still in complete shock!!!!!!!! ++
    ^

19. sharda Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Steve the crocodile hunter. I always liked his australian accent.
    He was a very brave man, and a very passionate environmentalist.
    Rest in peace Steve!
    My thoughts & prayers go out to his family.

TRINIDAD, WEST INDIES

20. Nancy Parker Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 3:55 pm

I always thought Steve would had died by a crocodile. I have always enjoyed his shows. I feel for all his family. He will be greatly missed, because he entertained us all thur his movies and shows. It does not make any difference what some people say, because I bet they watch all his shows and movies when ever they got a chance and also enjoyed them. I personaly feel for you and your family Terry.Just try to be strong and each day will get better.

21. angela Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:01 pm

what an absolute shock we didnt even know steve or his family and yet we feel like we lost a family member. R.I.P steve and all our love to terri, bindi, and little baby bob these kids will finish what dad started im sure…..

22. angela Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:06 pm

we cant believe it my family dont even know steve or his family but feel like weve lost a family member godspeed steve he needs you for a higher perpose, bless terri and bidi and bob we know they will carry on dads work…

23. Carol & Ken Bigley Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Steve opened up and shared his wonderful world of animals to all of the inhabitants, he will be missed!

We have two german shorthaired pointers, Sui (13yo rescue) named after Steve’s dog and Bindy Sue (2yo that we got as a puppy)!

Steve’s love of animals and his zest for life has instilled a small part of himself into the heart of every animal lover! Each time we say or think of our two GSPs, a little bit of Steve’s memory lives on in us!

Thank you Steve!

24. NJE Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:45 pm

I thought my dad was kidding when he said Steve died, but then on the IMDB I read he was killed by a stingray. I was as upset as I was shocked, because I wouldn’t have guessed he was killed by a stingray, I figured a croc or a snake or a shark. There are few confirmed reports of stingray deaths.

RIP Crocodile Hunter :-(

25. Emilee Jacobson Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Steve Irwin was a very nice man who cared about all animals and would never kill any animal–always was kind. He will rest in peace. Everyone in the world will miss him. LOve Emilee (age 7). Our family’s sympathy goes out to his wife, kids, friends and family.

26. Louise Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 4:59 pm

How sad!!! I always thought he wud be killed by a croc or a snake. He will be sadly missed in the animal world. He woz such a great man who will be missed by all, all over the world. Deepest sympathy to his wife Terri and 2 children Bindi and Bob!!!!!!!!!R.I.P steve x x x x x

27. hmh Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

Very few people have left the legacy that Steve has. I pray for his family and hope that Terri will be able to find the strength to carry on with the wonderful work that they were involved in. Steve ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Irwin I sulute you.

28. nicole Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 7:19 pm

I can’t beleive this happened I loved watching him on tv and I loved his enthusiasm…when I heard the news from my aunt I was so shocked and I feel really bad that he died and for his kids who now have to grow up with out a father. This is horrible!!!!

29. nicole Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 7:20 pm

30. gizbo Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 7:44 pm

I am utterly shocked at Steve Irwin’s death. He was a great man who did wonders for the animal kingdom, the sad reality is he was killed by a stringray that basically he was trying to save. I am amazed by ppl who have picked at his one mistake when he has done so much to help and save endangered animals and educate the world regarding animals of all species. It is a great loss to all of us. Just hope that his work hasn’t been in vain and that it continues for years to come. He will be a respected man by thousands for years to come.

31. Nigel Elton Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 9:02 pm

I was shocked to hear that he was killed today…infact i was angry. I grew up watching him on TV everyday after school…he was awsome. I have also decided to save up and hunt down the Stingray that killed him. I will get his revenge.
    RIP Steve
    -Nigel

32. querubin Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 9:09 pm

oh! i was shocked after watching the news… I always watch his show in fact im angry after i hear that.. He was a great man… We’ll gonna missed him so much.

33. darren d bennett Says:
    September 4th, 2006 at 10:00 pm

was always very impressed by him on TV and I think he was definately one of my heros.
    RIP Steve I will always remember you and the impact you have had on my life.
    The thought frequently crossed my mind as he had children. Will he continue these outrageous acts of walking the high wire, or settle down to a more low key position in helping educate us about the animal kingdom so that he can be both a responsible father, and the great conservationist. It’s a shame now that he rolled the dice, leaving his family behind to suffer their loss. I guess he got what he wanted though….to die doing what he love right. He was great entertainment, but when he started involving his children in his risk,
    what a terrible thing to happen to such a wonderful man and husband and father. He will be sadly missed , my heart goes out to his dear wife terri and his two children .Steve Irwin rest in pace and God forgiv his sins if he had any Thank you so much for showing me a world through your eyes. For that I will be forever greatful.
    i am distraught at this news and his family and friends are in my thoughts. I really admired him in so many ways and Rest in peace Steve and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. God bless you all. :(

34. Kunal Juvekar [India] Says:
    September 5th, 2006 at 1:22 am

Steve was one of the most Influencing people I have ever seen on television on in person. This wonderful human being was full of Life enthusiasm and jest for acheieveing what he wanted. He was probably the First person to make people believe that a creature like Crocodlie can be so Magnificant and wonderful to explore. e probably is was Is and always be the greatest contributor to Channels like National Geographic, Discovery Channel and to the world for his immensely unmeasurable contribution to Mankind.
    I thoroghly respected him and would always do so for the rest of my life. Its just that This shouldn’t have been his destiny, he was born to give Much much more……. May god Bless your Soul ‘Steve’, Where you are — Whereever You will be……..

35. sandy in lincoln Says:
    September 5th, 2006 at 4:03 am

Very sorry to hear the news about Steve.As a family we have always watched his programme and had such admiration for his passion and love for both his family and his wildlife. Our hearts go out to Terri, Bindi and Bob and may they find comfort knowing such a wonderful and colourful person. Rest in Peace Steve.

36. Mary Lou Says:
    September 5th, 2006 at 9:40 am

This is a world wide tragedy as he touched many people world wide. He was adorable and exciting to watch. He had a beautiful family and his legacy will live on…it is a shame he will not know just how many loved him and appreciated his love for the wildlife……there will never be another, Steve Irwin!
    “Crikey!”

37. Amber Says:
    September 5th, 2006 at 6:03 pm

The world has lost a GREAT hero. Hereing the 11 o clock news right before bed was shocking. I couldn’t believe the famous loving Steve Irwin has died. He was such a help to the world and animals. He loved the ugly and everything. He helped many animals from being hurt. Even though im 11 and do usless idiotic things and dont care about things, this i do. I always watched his tv shows and i wish this tragity wouldnt of happened… but sadly it did. I love animals as much at he does, and i hope someday i can help them just like he did. He was a great man, father, and husband. My hart goes out to him and his family.

38. Betty Edwards Says:
    September 5th, 2006 at 11:10 pm

I am still trying to get over the shock of hearing about Steve Irwin’s death. It’s strange that I have never met the man but feel such pain at his passing. I watched him on Animal Planet for many years. I loved his show. There are only great things to say about him. I pray for his family and am saddened that his family will be without him. Thank you Steve for all the wonderful shows with your beloved crocs. R.I.P

39. Ricardo McManaway Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 7:43 am

Hi everyone, i whould like to say i have set up a web page for steve!

40. rowdy Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 9:41 am

as an aussie, i am truly saddened to here of the death of one of our countries true heroes. we hear of football players being called heroes….how many of them have saved animals… how many of them have had children that they have doted upon…. i know that the passing of MR Steve Irwin will make me a better father, and make me appreciate my children more.. as I may not be here tomorrow to show them how much I love them… and to those who knock him, i say do half of what that that man did for wildlife.. then … call him a pratt

Rob

41. robert Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 9:58 am

what a shame we can not post comments about others comments on this site, there is a post from an unnamedperson… very brave…. who runs down Steve Irwin…. he was truly brave in his fight to save the wildlife that was his life.. his mission.. there is only one true moron on this site… the man apologised about the baby BOB incident… if I was a baby held in front of a croc… there is only one person who I would want holding me… he was a genius when it came to croc behaviour…. RIP …. may Bindy step in the prints of her father

42. Meghan Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 3:15 pm

THIS WORLD HAS LOST AN AMAZING HERO!!!Steve Irwin was such a hero to this world and this enviornment and did so much for the animals in our enviornment that now knowing he died is like losing someone in my family. The death of a celeberty has never really effected me like this, no celeberties death ever meant all that much, I kind of just felt bad and got over it. But when I heard about the death of Steve Irwin i was Crying and felt sick to my stomach and still do thinking about it! I will miss Steve! As a young kid i used to want to be just like him! But now I’m a teen and know that there is no way I’m getting as close to the dangerous animals as he did, and admiror him for his bravery and passion. But i still do want to be envolved with animals and our enviornment. I am just so depressed ans saddened about steve’s death and feel horrible for his family. I loved how steve brought his kids into the enviornment and showed them all the animals! I wish I could have had him as a dad! I mean yes the one time with his son that was cutting it close but he only probably meant to show his son what animals are and i don’t know if his son will even remenber much of his fater but there will be soo many stories he will get to hear! I feel horribly for his family and i am still shocked it is just that it is unconcieveable some of the amazing things he did! Just because they were so amazing and fearless! But for him to die in such a freak accident is so horrible! But look at it this way… friends of his told reporters that he said he wanted to die in the ocean (and he did( and he died doing what he loved to do! So i guess that even though such a great man’s life was cut short, the life he had was lived to the fullest. Rest In Peace Steve Irwin!!!

43. Elsa Says:
    September 6th, 2006 at 9:31 pm

OH MY GOD.. i was heartbroken to learn the news of Steves death.. Everytime i think about it i feel close to tears and sick in the stomach he was a true aussie hero and conservationist and myself and so many others loved him to bits! My thoughts go out to terri, bindi and bob.. they have lost an amazing father and husband and i only hope they realize the support they have!

R.I.P Steve.. XoXoXoXoXo

44. Ipunk Purwanto Says:
    September 8th, 2006 at 4:27 am

Saya ikut berduka atas meninggalnya Steve Irwin. Dunia kehilangan seorang pejuang pelestari binatang, yang selalu membawa binatang-binatang yang selama ini dianggap menakutkan, oleh Steve dibawa ke hadapan kita melalui filem-filem dokumenternya yang sangat mengagumkan.
    Saya berharap semoga Terri sang istri dan kedua anak Steve tabah menghadapi peristiwa ini.
    Selamat jalan Steve Irwin, semoga kau damai di sana. Amin

45. David james Says:
    September 11th, 2006 at 2:01 am

The untimely passing of Steve Irwin is a great tragedy. This has effected my family more than I could have imagined; he has been a great influence on myself and my two boys. The world will never be the same. In the past, I have dealt with this type of emotional pain through music. Being a song writer and composer, I have written musical compositions and songs to honour friends, family, and fallen heroes to ease the pain and commemorate the contributions they’ve made in life. Steve falls under the obvious catagory of “HERO.” Please accept and share with the world this musical tribute in honour of the great “CROCODILE HUNTER” Steve Irwin.. WE LOVE YOU STEVE!!!!

Sincerely:
    David James

P.S. – You can visit me at: http://www.davidjamesmusic.net
    and download the musical tribute “THE MIGHTY STEVE”

46. Sad family, Zimbabwe, Africa Says:
    September 11th, 2006 at 4:09 am

Shock, is the only word I can use to describe how my family felt on hearing the news of Steve Irwins sad death. My son was & is a huge fan and tried not to miss a single Crocodile Hunter program. Living with the daily decline of our own wildlife to hunting & poaching, reinforces the planets need for more wildlife worriors. We will miss your firery antics Steve & deepest sympathies to his family. If each person had a drop of his passion for life & wildlife, what a fab planet we’d have. To those who loved Steve Irwin, “good on you mate” to those who can’t see past their critiscizim of him, and see the fine human being he was and the totally unselfish work he did in the name of conservation – “UP YOURS PAL!”

47. David james Says:
    September 14th, 2006 at 3:23 am

Sincerely:
    David James

P.S. – You can visit me at: http;//www.davidjamesmusic.net
    and download the musical tribute “THE MIGHTY STEVE”

48. katie Says:
    September 17th, 2006 at 9:56 pm

i’m so sad by the fact that he’s gone… it’s hard to refer to him in the past tense and comprehend that he’s gone. my heart fully goes out to his wife and kids. i’m so sorry.

49. Rob Says:
    September 19th, 2006 at 9:41 am

I cringe when i read that people want to hunt and kill stingrays because they killed Steve… that is totally what he tried to prevent.. just think about how he would feel if any animal was harmed

50. forex information Says:
    September 26th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

http://www.mastercards.lt – Master card offers
    http://www.mastercards.lt/chase-master-card.php – Chase Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/tribute-master-card.php – Tribute Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/prepaid-master-card.php – Prepaid Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/mbna-master-card.php – MBNA Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/gm-master-card.php – GM Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/western-union-prepaid-master-card.php – Western Union Prepaid Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/platinum-master-card.php – Platinum Master card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/citibank-master-card.php – Citibank Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/imagine-master-card.php – Imagine Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/hsbc-master-card.php – HSBC Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/orchard-bank-master-card.php – Orchard Bank Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/chase-platinum-master-card.php – Chase Platinum Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/reward-master-card.php – Reward Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/master-card-debit-card.php – Master Card Debit Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/bank-of-america-master-card.php – Bank of America Master Card
    http://www.mastercards.lt/air-miles-master-card.php – Air Miles Master Card
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-day-trading.php – Forex day trading
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-trading-software.php – Forex trading software
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-forecast.php – Forex forecast
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-trading-training.php – Forex trading training
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-education.php – Forex education
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-day-trading-system.php – Forex day trading system
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-online-currency-trading.php – Forex online currency trading
    http://www.forexnews.lt/forex-premier-trade.php – Forex premier trade