Rob & Big Reality Series To Star Professional Skateboarder

October 05, 2006 11:02 PM by Joe Blackmon

Meet MTV’s modern-day odd couple as the network premieres “Rob & Big,” a new reality comedy series starring professional street skateboarder, Rob Dyrdek and his bodyguard and best friend, Christopher “Big Black” Boykin.  Premiering Thursday, November 2nd at 10:30PM (ET/PT), MTV showcases the unpredictable daily lives of this unlikely duo living together in Rob’s Hollywood Hills home where they experience the craziness of domestic life.  “Rob & Big” is created by Jeff Tremaine, one of the creators of MTV’s “Jackass” and “Wildboyz” series, as well as both “Jackass” movies.  Fans can get a sneak peek of “Rob & Big” beginning October 26th as MTV, MTV.com and MTV Mobile services debut “Rob & Big: The Prequel” – a five-minute look inside how this dynamic duo came to be.

Reaching fans and viewers through every channel, platform and screen, MTV will showcase “Rob & Big” with a variety of partners, methods and means.  As part of the premiere of “Rob & Big,” MTV will debut the first episode of the series on iTunes, allowing viewers to download the episode for free beginning October 31st – two days before fans can see it on-air.  Each subsequent episode of “Rob & Big” will also be available to download on iTunes on the Tuesday following its on-air debut.  On MTV.com, fans will be able to watch each episode of the series immediately following its on-air debut.  There, fans will also experience exclusive footage of Rob and Big Black as they give an inside perspective on each week’s episode, along with their own demonstrations on the skateboarding and security skills that made each of them famous, plus see photos, and beginning October 26th, get the chance to win an autographed Dyrdek skate deck from Rob.  Also beginning that day, visitors to MTV.com will also have the exclusive chance to play Rob & Big’s video game, where they too can face off against unruly security guards and fans.  For fans on the go, MTV Mobile will offer weekly clips of “Rob & Big,” and through mobile.mtv.com, visitors will be able to purchase show ringtones and wallpapers.

The story of "Rob & Big" is simple:  After years of being hassled by cops for street skateboarding, Rob hired Big Black as his own personal bodyguard with one goal in mind — to ride whenever and wherever he wanted.  From that point on, this unusual twosome became instant buddies who were always by each other’s side.  From adopting their lovable bulldog Meaty, and throwing their first house party, to getting in shape and even joining a dating service, this dynamic duo leads a very strange, unexpected life together.

Born outside of Dayton in Kettering, Ohio, Rob is a rare and talented breed in pro skateboarding.  At 12, Rob bought his first skateboard, and by 16, he had already turned pro.  Soon after he became the first street skateboarder for the DC Shoes Team.  His charisma and drive are as well-known as his abilities on a board.  From designing innovative shoes for DC to building legal skateboarding plazas around the world through his foundation, Rob has continued to shape the modern skateboarding world and give back to the sport that made him a star.

At 6’6″ and 416 pounds, Christopher Boykin, is known as “Big Black”– to state the obvious, he says.  Born in Chicago, IL, Big Black has over 10 years of Executive Protection experience and has been embraced by the skateboarding community since teaming up with Rob and DC Shoes.  Much like Rob, Big Black also has an entrepreneurial spirit, creating his own clothing line as well as currently working on a rap album.

“Rob & Big Black” is created by Jeff Tremaine, Ruben Fleischer, Rob Dyrdek and Christopher “Big Black” Boykin.  Jeff Tremaine is executive producer.  Ruben Fleischer is producer.  Lauren Dolgen and Heather Olander are executives in charge of production.  Lois Curren is Executive Vice President for MTV Series Entertainment and Programming.

Topics: Rob & Big |

30 Responses to “Rob & Big Reality Series To Star Professional Skateboarder”

1. ABZ Extreme Staff Says:
    October 6th, 2006 at 9:36 am

Thanks for the info! This is the first time that we have heard about the new show. Can’t wait to see it!

2. Michele Maynard Says:
    November 30th, 2006 at 1:02 am

THANK YOU FOR GIVEING ME INSPIRATION. I REALLY LOVE YOUR SHOW. MY BROTHER COULD BE (BIG WHITE) HAHA. ANYWAY YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME …OH I BELONG TO A NEW BAND CALLED “ELEMENTS OF FUSION”.ANYWAY I WOULD LOVE TO SKATE BORD BUT MY BROTHER GOT TO LAZY TO TEACH ME…IM 24…LIKE TO MEET YOU GUYS SOME DAY GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SHOW…BYE

3. sharon fields Says:
    December 15th, 2006 at 1:28 pm

love your show! it is my favorite reality show on tv.i am 50 years old, but still am entertained and enjoy watching . keep up the hilarity and the skating. you are the best!

4. don hergert Says:
    December 19th, 2006 at 4:11 pm

THE SHOW IS GREAT BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE A BUNCH OF DRUNK KIDS FIGHTING OR CRYING!ITS REFRESHING TO WATCH A SHOW THATS FUNNY AND MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD WITHOUT PEOPLE SUFFERING.LOOK FOWARD TO NEW EPISODES!

5. MsDeeva Says:
    December 21st, 2006 at 10:46 pm

I was hooked from the first show O love how you “guys” interact and have fun.. I watch the shows more than once…keep having fun.

6. tommy batey Says:
    December 24th, 2006 at 5:52 am

this show is a breath of fresh air. i dont even like reality shows. BUT, how can i resist guys having so much good, fairly clean fun. hell, all i have to do is think of a past episode and it brings a smile to my face. quit picking on drama. why cant i find those manpons in the walmart?

7. TXQUEENVALENE Says:
    December 25th, 2006 at 2:55 pm

HI ROB & BIG AND SAY HELLO TO MR CUTIE (MEATY) SMILE
    HEY JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I LOVE YOUR SHOW. I’M 46 YEARS OLD AND I THINK YOU GUYS HAVE THE BEST OF FUN ENJOYING LIFE’S EVERY MOMENTS. I LOVE THE WAY YOU LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND IT DON;T LOOK LIKE IT’S JUST FOR T.V. I CRIED WHEN MEATY GOT SICK. LUV YA VAL

8. christen Says:
    December 30th, 2006 at 11:32 am

hi rob im sure you get this all the time but i thing your sexy i saw the episode with your pitifull dates and i think it sux theres no way to show u that there realy are decent girls out there hit me up sometime mwa

9. Rich Casteel Says:
    January 1st, 2007 at 11:58 pm

Hey Guys,
    Your show makes me DO WORK! I am a firefighter/paramedic and used to skate alot back in the day. Your show is refreshing, and off the hook at times. I watch it with my son and daughter and we have started doing a little street riding together. If you guys need a traveling Paramedic from NorCal give me a ring! Keep on doin WORK!
    Rich

10. Mary Says:
    January 2nd, 2007 at 3:00 pm

The show is super fun I can watch the repeats over and over. Plus Rob just makes it all better he is such a cutie, just makes you want to hugggg him =)…….

11. Mary Says:
    January 2nd, 2007 at 3:03 pm

The show is super fun. I can watch the repeats over and over, plus Rob is such a cutie makes you want to hug him…….Muahhhh

12. sy singleton Says:
    January 3rd, 2007 at 3:04 pm

What a refreshing show to watch! I love your interaction and of course Meaty is the show stealer! Keep up the good work!

13. diane branddolini Says:
    January 3rd, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Hi-Can anyone tell me where to buy
    the hat that Chris”Big Black”Boykin wears. It has back to back B’s-Thank you

14. sharon Says:
    January 7th, 2007 at 7:41 pm

C’mon guys…….No shows scheduled for at least the next 14 weeks?!?
    That’s messed up. I’m missin’ ya already. Rob, with that sweet face, makes me wanna pinch those cheeks! And Big, there’s just something about you that makes me want more, and more!

15. Aimee Says:
    January 8th, 2007 at 6:12 pm

You guys are so funny. I laugh at every show. I can’t wait for the second season if there is gonna be one :)

16. Jenana Says:
    January 9th, 2007 at 10:27 am

Ok…. Rob I think ur sooo awsome an HOTT!! Big Black ur the best Keep DOIN WORK!!! I love ur guys show it makes me laugh i could whatch it over an over. Keep being sexi ROB :) LOVE ya

17. Anonymous Says:
    January 18th, 2007 at 9:26 pm

rob big and meaty wow i love your show i just rescued a bulldog and one day i was channel surfing and came across your show im hooked so are about 20 of my friends there’s just something about you guy’s meaty too that’s just a feel good !!! I’m 46 don”t skate but admire rob’s ability. And big’s charater just fits like a glove. Meaty’s lucky to have you guys. i hope you guys are enjoying your lives to the fullest cause that is what it’s all about thanks for making me smile everynight after work i watch reruns like it is the first time good luck and good wealth…

18. Ali Says:
    January 19th, 2007 at 8:52 pm

HEy guys!!!! I have some good news and some bad news. So if you are not sitting maybe you should do so. HAHAHA
    Rob you are hot but those tank tops you wear are not!!!! I can not stand to see you do that to yourself!!! Other than those you dress pretty well. Alright well I am off like a prom dress! Peace

19. Ali Says:
    January 19th, 2007 at 8:52 pm

20. Cheri Says:
    January 20th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

I love the show and want to know if anyone can tell me when they’ll be back on????

21. gamemaster101 Says:
    January 20th, 2007 at 11:02 pm

rob and big is the best show ever. big black is funny. his catch phrase rocks. do work son. rob is like the best skate boarder. he’s better then any tony hawk.

22. Jordan Neely Says:
    January 23rd, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I love your show so much. I watch it all the it comes on T.V. Cant wait till season 2. DO WORK!!!

23. jim&karla Says:
    January 27th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

love the show we have the perfect female bull dog for meaty.her name is cleo she is all white with small brindel patches above her eyes. Is meaty available for stud?

24. Jeremy Says:
    February 13th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Does any one know how much Big bench presses???

25. Jeremy Says:
    February 13th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Does any one know how much Big bench presses???

26. Penny Finan Says:
    May 27th, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Hi guys, I am 53 years old lady from South Carolina and age has no difference when a good quality show is put together! I just love you two guys and keep dong that thing you do “WORK” cause it works!! LOL I love Meat (not ment to sound that ugly)
    I also have a bull dog that loves to skate! He just started skating on his own one day. You may need to take Meat to the Vet for the smell you have been complaining of. There is a gland at his rear end that needs to be emptied from time to time or else you will get skunked by him when it gets over full. The Pony was a crazy touch but you need to put a pulling harness on him and build a cart so he can carry Big around while you skate! Cool huh!!
    Take Care and if you ever need a Mom on the show look me up! Love u guys!! Penny

27. margaret Says:
    June 6th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I’m 61 from Florida. I just want to repeat every thing everybody else has said.

Please don’t start getting all Hollywood on us. Your perfect just the you two are.

I love the way you love and treat your animals. Wish somehow you could support animal rescue shelters on your show. There are english bulldog rescues all over.

Your formula is perfect. I suffer with bi-polar depression. Nothing hardly makes me laugh. But you’ll do even repeats

Keep it clean. You’ve proven filth, and bad language are not needed or wanted by many.
    Looking forward to next episode

28. paula kelley Says:
    August 15th, 2007 at 6:39 pm

what will it take to get you guys to come to a small town Holbrook Arizona For my fiance birthday bash he is absolutley your number one fan if he could one thing in this world it would be to see both of you him and his friends and brother now actually walk around calling everyone son and he faithfully watches all of your shows his ring tone is “Dirty Girl” is there any way i could get you guys to come down come on you’ve been to Flagstaff to get meaty we are about 1 hour away from flagstaff his birthday is september 22 come on guys!!!

29. Cj Trent but they call me CJEEZY Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 1:10 pm

yo rob and beautiful big black.I have been watching your show since it came out…if all the stuff you do is true not jst acting man wat you need to do is fly me and my boy out because us four together will be like insain and the funniest days of my life and hopefully yours…me and my boy are just like you guys…well sorta im not as big as black ha but im a slim,athletic,16 year old black kid…and my friend is just like you on tv i mean DOGG JUST LIKE YOU,ACTS THE SAME EXACT WAY……its crazy…he’s a white kid whos 16 looks about your hight and your size..i saw in the mall it said sign up and when a day with rob and big our eyes lit up and we were like we gotta do this….so after we bout our famous shirts we left the store and forgot all about it.so we realized we forgot once we left the mall and we were pretty pissed so we were like lets look on the internet for like his email or see if we can google his adress haha and send him a letter but it didnt work out so im going to just leave this comment and see if anything sparks up…if your the man i think you are you will show me some love man….ight bro later…..p.s. i reside in richmond va

30. Anonymous Says: