American Idol 6 Needs A Wild Card Round

February 14, 2007 03:09 AM by Joe Reality

The American Idol 6 Hollywood week episode has many American Idol fans
in an uproar.  While fans are always upset when their favorites are cut
during Hollywood week, American Idol season six seems to have created
more controversy than ever.  Since the Hollywood week is filmed in
advance, the American Idol judges don’t have the hindsight of knowing
which contestants from the American Idol auditions strike a chord with
the American public.

In Hollywood, contestants are given 30 seconds to impress the judges with a solo performance.  If they make it through the solo performances, then they are split into groups and asked to learn a song together.  Someone who winds up in a bad group or with a song they are unfamiliar with is put at a huge disadvantage in the group performances.  Really good singers can get cut really quickly just because of a little bad luck in the auditions.

Baylie Brown’s elimination is causing a stir because many fans see her as someone who deserved to continue but encountered bad luck during her group audition.  Several other singers like Sean Michel, Rachel Zevita, Porcelana Patino, Jenry Bejarano, and Ebony Jointer have become very popular online, and their apparent sudden eliminations from the competition has left viewers wanting to know more.  (We say apparent because in some cases it’s not completely evident if they were eliminated.)

American Idol appears to have unfortunately cut some of the best singers from the competition, and the best way to rectify it would be the return of a wild card show.  In seasons one through three, American Idol had a wild card show that gave previously eliminated contestants a second chance.  We think it’s time to bring it back.  Post your opinions below.

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Topics: American Idol |

32 Responses to “American Idol 6 Needs A Wild Card Round”

1. sarah Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 9:11 am

Sean Michel was the only reason I watched. I am quitting idol!

2. D.Smith Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:39 am

Baylie Brown was robbed!!!!! She definetly should be braught back…..I mean she blew them away with her solo…..not fair at all!

3. Steve Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:53 am

Baylie was robbed. I hope they do bring back the wild card round, but I don’t see how they could do that time wise right now.

4. dolphingirl1119 Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:53 am

I do not think the talent pool is as deep this season as it has been in season’s past. I feel somewhat robbed by the fact that they concentrated on ‘bad’ auditions and they clipped Hollywood Week into only one show. I have not had a chance to truly hear the contestants and I don’t think they are being cut for legit reasons. I hope to be able to find a star in who they have chosen but it looks bleak right now.

5. huh Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 11:28 am

How could the Wild Card help these people? Those came from the TOP group that sang in the semi-finals or wahatever it was- it never came from the people who were cut before the TOP 40 was announced. It is true they need to bring that back though- both Clay and Jennifer Hudson only got in the TOP 12 because they were Wild Card picks.

6. Sarah C. Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

I agree. A lot of the best people were cut.
    I didn’t notice they stop doing the wild card show. They defin1tely should do it again.

7. Jesse Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 12:33 pm

I think it was a bad decision in the first place to get rid of the wild card show. While it’s true that wild cards have a harder time going on in the top 12, it’s still a better way to ensure that great singers aren’t cut just because they had a bad day. In particular I was upset with Sean Michel’s cut. He was different and was definately on par with some of the top 12 singers from past seasons. I do not feel that we have the best right now. A wild card show could correct this.

8. Reality Fan Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 1:05 pm

The judges did seem to not pick some of the favorites. Unfortunateely we didn’t get to see much to judge for ourselves.

Can’t wait to see who is in the top 24.

9. Judy Breckenridge Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I want to know what happened to
    Tom Lowe! He certainly should go on the the top 12!

10. Anonymous Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 3:14 pm

I know that not everyone is a fan of Clay Aiken, but I think he wouldn’t have made it TO RUNNER-UP STATUS in Season 2 if he had not been saved by a Wildcard round…

Seriously, bring it back! Baylie, Rachel, and Sean deserve second chances. We didn’t even see Rachel in the Hollywood round! At least they could’ve slipped her name somewhere when the eliminated notables were mentioned. Bah.

11. Wombat Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 4:02 pm

I don’t think Baylie was treated unfairly. She forgot the ENTIRE song. Yeah, she was in a bad group, but so was Elliott Yamin last season. If you’re in a bad group, you can still do what you can about your own performance. Bottom line is Baylie was too young and inexperienced.

I really don’t know if the cuts were fair or not. Just because someone who we got to know was cut in favor of some people we never got to see, doesn’t mean the cuts were wrong. I was surprised to see Ebony lose, but for all I know it was completely deserved.

12. Anonymous Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 4:24 pm

i have to agree. Bailey forgot her entire song and just stood there looking confused. She’s a great singer, but if she comes back in 2 years or so, I bet she’ll do better.

13. Dave Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Where was Rachel Zevita? She was the standout from the New York auditions and they didn’t even mention her? Seemed strange.

14. Sarah C. Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I was very dissapointed that Sean Michel was sent home to. He was one of the only really interesting people this season.

15. annie Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Baylie may do best to wait a year or two. She’s only sixteen. If the pressure of this hell week got to her so bad she couldn’t learn the words, she deserved to be cut.
    It’s a shame that the age is raised to 18 because a 16 year old may have the voice but not the knowledge and maturity for such such pressure.

16. annie Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 7:01 pm

I wish that they would have clearly shown what the people they featured in auditions – and who fans seemed to like – did to be cut. Were they worse than Sundance who was not at his best?

17. Kim Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Im mostly upset about Sean Michel, although I do think Baylie deserved another chance, even though Im not a fan. I really don’t understand the choices they’re making this season. I read the spoilers a while ago and there are a LOT of undeserving females in that group while many of the good ones were sent packing early on.

18. caitlyn Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:58 pm

what happened to Jenry Bejarano? I thought he was great but i didn’t see him at all on hollywood week.Was he cut????

19. A Fan Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 11:04 pm

Yes…Bring Back Jimmy McNeal!!!

20. James Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Baylie deserved her fate — no matter who the others in her group were or how they acted. She could have learned her part and let the other two fade in the background while she shined.

Problem is, she didn’t!

21. Craig Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 12:10 am

Yes, we need it back. Also the rule should be that ONLY contestants not in the top 24 should be eligible for that round. I thought Sarah Burgess was really robbed, and others who I thought were robbed were Sean Michel, Danielle McCulloch and Nichole Gatzman, among others…

22. michelle Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 12:41 am

What happened to Jenry Bejarano? I do not remember even seeing him in Hollywood. WHat happened to him???

23. davidm Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 1:40 am

Marisa Rhodes didn’t make the 24 and it’s a big shame. She has the voice and the look to make it all the way. What were the judges thinking?

24. David M Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 7:15 am

I cant belive Sean Sarah Kruger And RACHEL Zevita didnt make it…those were the 3 that actually stood out to me..i mean rachel didint even get 1 second of air time..i was looking trough the pics from teusdays episode and found a picture of rachel..from what i saw in the picture looks like she was elimintaed in the 1st round

25. Leah Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 8:26 am

Yeah where was Rachel Zevita? She was AMAZING during the auditions. They spent so much time on her, REQUESTED that she sing 3 songs and then did not show what happened to her? I was so disappointed! I looked all over for her. We need the wild card round again!!!

26. Hanna Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 10:06 am

Oh God! I was praying for Sean Michel and Jenry Bejarano to get a place each in the the top 24!

This is really crappy!!!

I DEMAND A WILDCARD SHOW!

:’(

27. Kristen Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 6:12 pm

I think Ebony is one of the best we’ve seen so far. Why didn’t they show her in the Hollywood round, I wonder…. She definately should be brought back.

Baylie lost her shot by forgetting the lyrics to an easy song. She’s just too young.

28. Chad Pioske Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

I am most upset about Sean Michel as well. There was no video or reason of why he got cut. Quite agrivating, so they better bring back the Wild Card Show. And Sean better get that Wild Card.

29. Dawn Says:
    February 16th, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Well, the whole “she forgot the lyrics” theory does not really hold any water – remember Antonella Barba completely choked on her lyrics during her final performance with the backup singers and she made it through. So bring on the wild card round…..Tom Lowe, Marissa, Bailey and others may just get the shot they should have been given in the first place.

30. Lark Says:
    February 16th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Definitely! A wild card show is NEEDED! And Baylie Brown deserves to come back! Yes! Wild Card Show! Hopefully if it comes, it’ll do the trick!

31. Sarah C. Says:
    February 17th, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Ebony Jointer was probably dropped because of what she did in the past. There is an article done after hollywood week about her on the forums of this site;

32. Melissa Says:
    March 7th, 2007 at 10:52 am

I Think Bailey Brown deserves another chance, so what she forgot her lyrics, everyone had a bad day. Clay forgot his lyrics early on and he went on to place second.

Comments