Is American Idol Being Fair To Sanjaya Malakar?

March 20, 2007 06:23 AM by Joe Reality

Sanjaya_expressionEvery year on American Idol there always seems to be one contestant who
takes the blame for every other contestant getting eliminated.  During
American Idol 3, it was Jasmine Trias.  During American Idol 4, it was
Scott Savol.  During American Idol 5, it was Kevin Covais.  This year,
it is Sanjaya Malakar.

Often the American Idol fall guy (or girl) doesn’t do anything to deserve the ire of viewers, other than survive in the competition while other popular contestants get eliminated.  However, this year the show and the judges seem to be contributing to the animosity toward Sanjaya Malakar.  For the last four weeks, American Idol host Ryan Seacrest has paired Sanjaya Malakar up on stage as the final one left with the last to be eliminated contestant.  (Not that Ryan Seacrest should take the blame, because he is likely only following the script that producers have given him.)

First, Sanjaya Malakar was paired with Rudy Cardenas, then with AJ Tabaldo, then with Sundance Head, and most recently with Brandon Rogers.  Such a pairing means that many of Rudy, AJ, Sundance and Brandon’s fans are likely going to blame Sanjaya for their favorite’s elimination and voice their anger on American Idol message boards.  And it’s not that Sanjaya Malakar is getting paired up because he’s always the next lowest vote getter, because when Sanjaya went up against Rudy, Ryan Seacrest revealed that he was in the top four vote getters.

The judges also have contributed to the viewer anger at Sanjaya, whether indirectly or directly.  After Sundance Head’s elimination, Paula Abdul said Sundance was one of their finest, but also went on to say “And it has no disrespect to Sanjaya, congratulations, or anyone here.”  Of course, by reacting with such shock over Sundance’s elimination and by calling out only Sanjaya’s name, it was likely disrespect to Sanjaya.  As one would expect, Simon Cowell has been a little more direct in targeting Sanjaya.  According to Extra, when asked about Sanjaya Malakar winning American Idol, Simon Cowell said “Let me tell you this.  He’s not going to win.  I won’t be back if he does!”  Whether that comment will actually hurt or help Sanjaya though is up for debate, because Cowell made no secret of his dislike of Taylor Hicks, and it didn’t stop him from winning.

An added bonus for the American Idol fall guy (or girl) is that they often become the subject of various conspiracies to account for their continuation in the competition.  With Jasmine Trias, it was Hawaiian voters dominating the phone lines.  With Scott Savol, it was Vote for the Worst.  With Kevin Covais, it was Vote for the Worst again.  With Sanjaya Malakar, it is Vote for the Worst, Howard Stern, teen girls infatuated with his hair, and apparently Indian call centers.

Is the fact that producers seem to be highlighting Sanjaya’s continued survival in the competition by always pairing him up with a soon to be eliminated contestant fair?  Is this stacking the deck against Sanjaya?  Or could it actually be helping Sanjaya?  By seeing him in the bottom two on stage week after week, some viewers could be building up sympathy for Sanjaya.  Post your opinion of if it is fair for American Idol producers to keep drawing attention to Sanjaya Malkar in the elimination shows.

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol

Topics: American Idol |

89 Responses to “Is American Idol Being Fair To Sanjaya Malakar?”

1. Tracy White Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 8:03 am

I think they, judges, have been fair to him. Except they could have pointed out that his voice would great for like a Disney movie or one of the kids channel. He looks the part and his voice has that soft quality.

2. J stewart Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 8:29 am

Yes, I think that the judges need to tone down some. Because they are the one that put SanJaya in the final 24. The people is acting like SanJaya put himself their. He was not going to audition and he really thought that his sister was going to make it. So don’t blame SanJaya. Beside he has a pleasant voice. People get tired of hearing a person always taking it to the top and then they sound pitched. No he not going to be the american idol or anything, but give him a break. For a kid he take criticism well and to me that is and american idol. Everyone else who trying to win fame always has something to say back to the judges, so he is setting and example for the youth today. You don’t always have to have the last say because the american is voting. The more the judges bash him the more the american is going to grow on him. And you know what he not going to be eliminated this week. I want to see him make it to the top 10 because he deserve it. And as for Sundance and Roger Sanjaya sounded better than them. Go back and listen to the tape.

3. Gavin Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 8:56 am

At first I didn’t like Sanjaya, but as you said in the article. The more he is up there, the more people will feel bad for him.

Now that Howard Stern jumped on board, I am voting for him tonight!!

4. ICANWAIT2 Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:20 am

i say that Sanjaya should sing his best every show..enjoy the publicity, and laugh at the HATERS for giving him all this attention.

He should enjoy his moment in the lime light right now . the whole world knows who he is..Don’t get sad or down, just live it up !

5. Linda Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:27 am

AI can be so annoying. Sanjaya is not the greatest, but there is something about him you like. The smile, the presence, something. He has that something. Let’s fact it. A lot of performers cannot sing, (Brittany, Madonna, JLO, a lot of rockers, etc,) but they have stage presence. So does Sanjaya. I have a music degree and let me tell you, I don’t always agree with the judges. I didn’t like Sundance. I did not understand what the big deal was, but then again to me Celene Dion sings in a nasal tone. I like Sanjaya. He makes it cute. The rest are a bore.

6. Jimmy Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:38 am

Saying Sanjaya would be good in a Disney Movie sounds right – as Mowgli in “The Jungle Book!” ;)Seriously though, does anyone really think a techie in India has the ability to command a phone or phone center in the US to power vote for Sanjaya? Clearly, the AI 866 voting numbers will not take calls coming from outside the U.S.

7. Lakisha Jones official fan site Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:35 am

I always thought the bottom 2 were the ones put together at the end. Sanjaya is terrible, but it is the voters keeping him in.

8. Carole Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:46 am

I have been watching AI for the last three seasons. I was enjoying it very much. However, this year it seems that the whole purpose of the show is being jeopardized by folks being encouraged to vote for the lesser talents and letting the really good ones be eliminated. I agree that Sanjaya is adorable, however, his voice is weak and he’s just not Idol material. It’s too bad that people are messing up a good thing. I am definitely losing interest this season and probably will not watch next season. What a shame, the show offered a lot of opportunities to lot of young new talent.

9. Mommydog Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:46 am

I think their treatment of Sanjaya is appalling. This poor 17 year old kid is forced to take the walk of shame everyweek irrespective of the actual voting. According to Ricky(the kid who spoiled the top 24) Sanjaya actually finished 6th in the overall voting last week. Besides, I don’t think he’s really that bad, given the weakness of the men in general. So, the hell with AI and their evil manipulation. I’m voting for Sanjaya. Let the kid make the tour.

10. Jennifer Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:22 am

He’s not the best, but I have heard a lot worse. Most of the time the judges are right but too brutally honest in my opinion. Sanjaya sings well but just does not measure up to the rest on the show

11. Me Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:32 am

Sanjaya is better than Kevin Covais was. Kevin could not stay on pitch; Sanjaya does! And he’s a lot cuter! I don’t know why but I find myself looking forward to Sanjaya’s performance tonight.

12. T.F. Otmi Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 12:04 pm

I have never been an Idol fan, but Sanjaya’s run is making it very interesting…The Fact of the Matter is that he brings in non-Idol fans everyday and I now tune in to track his fate…VOTE SANJAYA!!!!

13. theresa Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:15 pm

american idol is being fair with sanjaya.this is suppose to be a talent contest not a popularity contest.
    as we know lots of indian population are voting for him even thou he is not as good as those contestant being voted out like sundance.
    let’s open our eyes and vote for the real american idol not who your friends and ethnicity.

14. NOOOO!!!! Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

No American Idol is not being fair to him. Everyone has been being so mean to Sanjaya. I feel so bad for him. People out there are just being cruel to him. I hate when people be cruel to anyone. Yeah of course you have to say he can not sing as great as the others, but he can still sing and has fans. Just shut up about him and let him enjoy being on tv until he is voted off.

15. JAK Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

CRUEL…SHMUEL…Sanjaya is WITHOUT DOUBT the WORST entertainer in the history of American Idol. He even makes Kevin Covaise look good and I REALLY didn’t think that was possible.

Sanjaya can’t sing, has NO stage presence, and is SO NELLIE I really can’t believe Simon hasn’t hauled out the “YOU’D BE BETTER IN DRAG” comments yet. Get rid of this kid, he’s absolutely horrible.

16. OJ Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

American idol has been on for 5 years prior to the 6 season.sanjaya knows what it’s all about this is what he asked for.It’s better that he hear it now rather than put out a cd and get slamed by harsher critics.

17. Tandalaya Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Sanjaya cannot sing and perform as well as any of the remaining competitors (including last week’s Brandon). Should he be humiliated because of that? No, of course not. I too feel sorry for him. However, I won’t vote for him. He should not be the AM IDOL and be expected to make great recordings as he is not a great singer – right now. Maye he will grow into being that ‘great singer’ – but that’s not what he is now. In my opinion, he’s just a cute kid who sings prettily – NOT great.

And…Ryan DID specifically say last week that Sanjaya, Phil, and Brandon were ‘in the bottom three’ of the vote-getters. He had not done that in previous weeks. So, even though Sanjaya may have been positioned to be last to stand with the previous ejectees, I believe he WAS in the bottom 3 legitimately this past week. Remember – last year, from the Top 12 on, Ryan called out the lowest three (and later two) vote-getters.

18. WHACKED Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I agree that Sanjaya is not awful, but he is NO AMERICAN IDOL. Some very talented people got the boot because ignorant people watch Howard Stern and love to see a great program like AL get ruined because it is popular. The people who are voting to keep Sanjaya because he is the worst are pitiful. They are the ones doing harm to him. They are mocking him because they know he is the worst and they are keeping him there on purpose. How do you think he feels knowing he is terrible and does not belong up there but people are voting for him and he has to sit there and squirm and look like a idiot.Have you ever seen his expression when the others get kicked off? He knows
    Shame on Howard and all of you who claim to be Americans, you are torturing that kid , just another example of America going to hell in a hand bag.

19. Jessica Backus Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I love SanJaya. I think it would actually be funny if he won. Ok first off SanJaya does not have the best voice at all. But we are still drawn to him. Ive been drawn to him since he auditioned. He had a great voice then. And I think he just picks songs that arent right for him. I want to see him do an all upbeat song, and show what america saw when he tryed out! The judges liked him and so did america. He is still in and He just needs to find himself once again, and show everyone that talent that he truely does have!

20. Brianna Apodaca Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 2:43 pm

My personal opinion staes that Sanjaya Malakar may not be the greatest singer in the American Idol contest, but look at it this way: At least he is trying his best and hardest to win America over. That is really what the competition is about a idol for America. Sanjaya has all the qualities a warm smile, excellent personality, and the biggest, giving heart. No doubt about it he is very talented. The judges need to give him guidance or not they don’t have to. Let him breathe and don’t make all this fuss. He is very tense, if he is relieved from this building pressure, he can show America what he’s all about, an idol. Judges give him a break, calm the tension, and be the guidance to everyone and let America decide

21. Reynolds Jones Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

We are watching American Idol tonight for the first time, ever — so that we can vote for Sanjaya. I heard a DJ attacking him on a local station, so I looked him up — listened to him – he has a sweet voice – read what I could about him — discovered that he was a shy, decent, kind boy — and decided p*ss on the hate mongers. I’m voting for the boy, and organizing others to do so, I hope he gets to tour.

Everyone should leave him alone, there is no reason for such hate. Let him enjoy himself – he’s 17 and one of the nicest kids I’ve seen in years.

As for the judges, I watched the clip of Simon whatever commenting on Sanjaya last week — and what does the person saying that he expects Simon to bring out drag comments think Simon did when he discussed him being in dress up? He was cruel and mean – for no reason, the song was sweet and well done.

Difference in taste is what makes America great — but I don’t feel any need to denigrate those whose tastes or abilities are different from mine — why do so many other people?

Regards,

Reyn

22. Genie Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Lakisha Jones official fan site said: “I always thought the bottom 2 were the ones put together at the end. ”

Actually, Ryan very seldom really tells us who else (besides the one going home) was in the bottom two. He usually just sends “one” of the bottom 3 “back to safety.”

Also, we know during some of the semifinals Sanjaya was not in the bottom 3 when he was the last one left on the couches with the one who was going to be eliminated, because Ryan at least once announced, after that type scenario, that Sanjaya was in the top 4 that week.

It’s really manipulative of 19E to have kept leaving Sanjaya so often as one of the last two whose names Ryan called out during the semifinals. It led some people to think he kept being in the bottom 2 and – worse – that HE was “the one taking the place of” whoever got cut.

23. Genie Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 4:23 pm

WHACKED said, “Some very talented people got the boot because ignorant people watch Howard Stern and love to see a great program like AL get ruined because it is popular.”

Hey, Simon himself has admitted that a LOT of very, very talented (and marketable) people get the boot every season before they even get to the Hollywood round, because the goal is NOT to find the 24 or 12 most talented, most marketable singers, it’s to make for the most entertaining TV SHOW and attract lots of viewers.

Yes, they want the winner – and now maybe event some runners-ups – to be very successful and win awards and sell CDs. But beyond that, the real “star” is the TV show itself, with its spin-off merchandising.

So don’t blame the contestants if some of them are “not ready for prime time” or “don’t look like stars.” They are chosen partly because they add humor and drama to the show.
    (If you doubt this and you can’t find Simon’s recent quote, just think of how much less riveting Star Search was.)

Oh, and as for Sanjaya’s singing ability, he has very good tone and much better pitch than quite a few of the other semifinalists. And he sounds really great on the mp3s of his songs that you can hear and download at the official AI website. Singing softly (when backed by a loud band and having a sound engineer who doesn’t properly balance the components) is not the same thing as singing badly.

24. Anonymous Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 5:49 pm

VOTE FOR THE WORST can not get votes for anyone! They could not even get Sundance or Antonella into the finals!!! Stop advertising for them when they don’t have anything to do with the votes!!!!

25. Court Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Sanjaya rocks is is SO cute and hott he needs to stay on there Simon needs to settle down on him. His hair ROCKS!

26. Anonymous Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 8:03 pm

He isn’t THAT bad of a singer. He just picks very challenging songs and he definitely is not the best singer comparing to the rest. I think this is just part of the publicity, having a fall boy (or girl). Next season they will have another one, or maybe TWO!

27. sodham Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Sanjay has a soft voice. He has till now never missed a beat, has never had a pitchy rendition. His sense of rythm & music is great for a 17 year old.I’m very disappointed with the way the panel keeps picking on him & simon’s rude comments last week. i guess the panel only likes people who scream, not someone who can sing!

28. cobbi Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:26 pm

AI is very fair to this Indian/American contestant. But to those bloggers who compare him to other established stars “that who cannot sing” but sold millions or even hundreds of millions of records worldwide must be tone deaf. First, they are not product of talent competitions, they work hard to get there. As for this Indian/American boy, sure he’s getting sympathy votes but wait till the AI Season 6 CD comes out, I predict this would be a flop. Voting by phone is free, 99 cents for text vote but to dish out more than 10$ for a CD with the Indian/American in it, I don’t think so. But with tech these days, they can alter his voice to make it sound good. Good luck!

29. Tamara Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Sanjaya is a sexy beast, and anyone knocking him because of the alleged conspiracy to sabotage AI by keeping the worst person on is a retard. Oh, I forgot I’m not allowed to say retarded in this country anymore;it’s special people.

30. Tamara Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

The person to the North of me is a special person for saying that no one would want a CD with an Indian American on it. WTF? Way to be PC.

31. Flower Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Sanjaya is an American Idol! Wauw! Did he rock tonight! He really touched my heart, I also wanted to cry like the little girl, and I am many times older the her. Where are those saying he cannot sing now? Please listen again! He’s the next Michael Jackson!

32. joleigh Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:00 pm

i think that sanjaya did better tonight-3-20-07. tues. he is trying he’s just young, he’s shy, but he did do great tonight. but, i do like blake, chris riderson they are great, they have a great voice, etc..? they both have done a great job, they both do deserve it to be the american idol for this year. look they picked for last year really give me a break, he can not sing at all. please.. the other ones are doing better than he his now. chris daughtry is alot better than he was, so was katherine also. one of them should have one won-06. he is not even going any where at all. that is sad. haha. lol.. that is really funny. they picked a good one for 06? lol…. you really need to pick the best one this year-07, than what you did for 06. the juges did not pick the right one for 06 at all. they had something to with it, i know they do, just america is not doing the ones they want. something is up with the judes how they want to pick the person they want, i do not think that is right. they did a bad job of it for 06. look he is not doing good since he won last year. but, sanjaya is trying, i give credit for tonight-3-20-07- tues. show. he did alot bettere than he has being doing. but, i still think that blake, chris r. are the best of them all. thanks alot.. 3-20-07.. i really hope you do alot better than who you picked last year 06. give me a break, he was terrible. he looked old, he was only in his thirtys, he looked 40 or more. he could not dance, or dance at all. so please do alot bettere this year for 07.? ok. please!!! thanks..

33. ThankYouComeAgain Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Whatever some people are smoking in this room I want. He’s not a bad singer? He’s adorable? lol Are my eyes going bad? What is wrong with you people. He is by far the worst. The judges put him there. Remember what they said he’s better then his sister lol. VFTW “vote for the worst” is the best thing that ever happened to this show. Its a joke! Taylor Hicks winning last year pretty much said it all. I just hope that VFTW and Howard Stern Fans like myself can keep Senjaya for top 5 =) I voted close to 300 times for him tonight good luck to you people who voted once or twice for you favorites lol. SJ all the way. I want Sanjaya to get some sort of promotional product out of this deal. How does Sanjaya hair gel sound? Made from your local 7 eleven hod dog grease lol This show is a joke and thanks to it now I watch it. I just cant watch while drinking if Sanjaya is singing I’ll die choking while laughing =) SJ ALL THE WAY

34. dieni Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:03 am

From all the men of AI, I vote for Sanjaya. Because he has a beautiful smile and innocent eyes.I think he can make Indian people become proud of him. But, the women are so magnificent. You go, girl!

35. oncom Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:16 am

Sanjaya, always has stylish hair everyweek. But, his smile is very awesome! So, vote for Sanjaya! I wish I’ll meet you someday.
    Show them your very best Indian moves, even though you don’t look like Shahrukh Khan or Salmand Khan… Could you sing an Indian song in AI? I’ll wait for that. I love you and I wish you love me too. Peace, love, and gaul…

36. alejo m. garcia jr Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:31 am

TIME WILL SPEAK FOR SANJAYA.NO DOUBTH HE WILL BE THE NEXT MICHAEL JACKSON.IF VOTING ONLY COUNT.IM SURE HE HIS THE WINNER.INDIA IS THE SECOND WORLD POPULATED, BESIDE CHINA.DONT WORRY SANJAY,TAKE EXPERIENCE FIRST AND GO FOR IT.YOU HAVE MORE TIME AND FUTURE WILL COME.GOOD LUCK.

37. alejo m. garcia jr Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:48 am

TO ALL THE CONTESTANT,CRITICT OR COMMENT MAKE YOU TO IMPROVED YOURSELF.TO BE A SINGER IS NOT AN EASY TASK.PERSONALITY REQUIRED, BUT VOICE IS AT FIRST QUALIFICATION.I SUGGEST IF YOU CHOOSE MICHAEL JACKSON SONG, IM SURE SANJAY WILL BE ON TOP.RACE DOEST NOT APPLY.EVERY SINGER AS EACH OWN CATEGORY, FROM JASS TO R&B.IM SURE WOMEN WILL BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL.

38. Anita Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 4:39 am

Every one is talking of him as an American Indian. He was born in USA and raised there. His father is of Indian origin but his mother is of Italian origin.How can he be called American Indian?

39. chelsey lynn turner Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 10:03 am

personally i think Sanjaya has an amazing voice, a great personality, and pretty much everything america is looking for. The judges give him hell every time he goes to sing. I think they are being fair in some since, but latly they are just getting rediculous! last night Sanjaya sang with everything he had, did an outstanding job, a wonderful performance, and even made a little girl cry…and yet this morning i wake up to radio stations dogging him about his voice. because honstly, he’s got what it takes, if they would just chill out and listen to him. the way i see it is, you dont like him, don’t vote. Simon is the one who put Sanjaya in the top 24. Why? just to made him look stupid every week? It was his choice, he had his time, and now it’s America’s soooo back off Simon and let Sanjaya have his time… thanks.

40. Teharra Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 11:27 am

Sanjaya rocks he will be the new Michael Jackson and I personally like Michael Jackson so Sanjaya has my vote!!!!!!!

41. Teharra Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 11:36 am

SANJAYA HAS AN AMAZING VOICE PLUS!SO SIMON PAULA AND RANDY BACK OFF AND LISTEN TO THE MUSIC! HE WAS UR CHOICE TO BE IN THE TOP 24 IF U DIDNT WANT HIM THERE HE SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN PUT IN ONE OF THE WINNING ROOMS hE IS INCREDIBLE AND WILL MAKE IT TILL THE END!

42. T.F. Otmi Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 11:50 am

Once again, Sanjaya steps up and amazes! The Fact of the Matter is, even Sanjaya knows that he does not have the strongest voice in the competition…but a great voice ONLY does not an Idol make!!!!! And really, who remembers the other 8 or 9 contestants that DO go on the tour…where are THEY now? VOTE SANJAYA!!!!!!!

43. faithhill06 Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Sanjaya is such a sweetie-wow talk about a million-dollar smile! I hate that everyone is so cruel to him! I think he really broke out of his shell last night, and let loose with what he really can do. It was awesome to see that, and I could tell he was having so much fun on the stage. What a sweetheart! I really admire that he is able to disregard what the judges say and try his hardest. I don’t think he’ll stack up against Melinda and Lakisha, but I’ve really enjoyed watching him come alive on the show!

44. Anonymous Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 1:56 pm

SANJAYA WAS AWESOME LAST NIGHT. HE FINALLY GOT GOOD COMMENTS. I THOUGHT THAT WAS SO CUTE HOW THAT LITTLE GIRL WAS CRYING FOR HIM. WHO CARES IF HE IS GAY OR NOT AND LETS SHUT UP ABOUT SANJAYA AND SAY GOOD STUFF ABOUT HIM. HE DESERVES TO BE THERE NEXT WEEK.

45. Christen Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 2:50 pm

I don’t agree. I think the show is more than fair to Sanjaya. I think there is a good chance he will make it through yet again this week and Phil will go home. Why? Because Simon told Phil he would have a problem this week but all the judges did with Sanjaya is tell him it was his best performance yet and sort of laugh at how bad he was. Then Ryan gave Sanjaya the opportunity to hug a fan which I am sure scored him some votes. Phil was given no such opportunity.
    Basically, what I am saying is, I think the producers WANT him to keep surviving. Let’s face it, when you go back and watch all of the original auditions, which I have done and posted on my blog, he really wasn’t all that good to begin with so if the producers or judges are angry that he is there, they have only themselves to blame. As far as him being paired during the Rudy week I agree that he was in fourth place but every week thereafter I believe he had gotten the next lowest amount of votes and that is why he was there. And as far as the conspiracies, I’m sure there is a little truth to them. I’m sure he does have a large Indian fan base and I know he has a large fan base of teen girls who are strangley in love with him. He has Vote for the Worst too but if there was anything to that site, wouldn’t Sundance still be here since he was on Votefortheworst before Sanjaya?

46. Idolfan Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 6:53 pm

It is funny that they always make one scapegoat. I think Sanjaya is not as bad as he is made out to be. There are only four girls who are extremely talented….

47. petunia Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 9:19 pm

OK, this is getting a little out of hand…I do agree that Sanjaya is by far the lesser talent in the competition. He has the least stage presence, the least vocal skills, and definitely does not deserve to win, if in fact this IS a singing competition. However, I do find it a bit sad that they seem to be putting him in a position to be humiliated every week. He is always put in the bottom 3 on stage and he seems to realize that’s where its headed each week and surely not surprised that he is there. But then they have to build up the suspense and each week the poor kid stays, dragging out his misery, and honestly I think making the rest of the Idols resent him, through no fault of his own. No, he is not a good singer and should not win but please let the poor kid have some dignity and leave on a good note before EVERYONE hates him!

48. Ann Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 6:33 am

If Sanjaya makes it to the top 3 this year, I will never watch American Idol again! Stephanie Edwards has so much more going for her, talent wise, than Sanjaya does. Little teeny boppers need to start voting for talent not looks!

49. Jerry Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 8:56 am

Sanjaya may not be the best singer in the competition but he will make it to the final 3 guaranteed. America loves him. Gay people straight, old and young, black, white ,INDIAN Jews , Hindus Muslims he has won the hearts of America. My can’t wait for Tuesday to hear him and the other contestants sing. And yes he is one of our favorites. So hear to the youngest in the the dog pound. Ruff Ruff GO FOR IT DAWG

50. jery Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 9:14 am

Oh yeah…Sanjaya has a good voice and a fantastic heart. America take note of that…..

51. Dave Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 9:28 am

I am not a fan of Sanjaya and I think that the judges’ criticisms have been warranted. He’s not that great and does tend to murder the songs he sings. But, a comment that Simon made on Tuesday (3/20) bothered me. He said that AI is a singing talent show and not a popularity contest, in response to Sanjaya’s continued presence on the show.

My dear Simon, after you and the other judges send someone off to the Hollywood to be on the show it stops being a talent show and becomes a popularity contest. Viewer votes are what keeps or eliminates a contestant. Expecting the core viewing audience of 11-14 year olds, or any viewer for that matter, to make rational decisions on the quality of a singer is ludicrous. They vote on who they like, be it because of the sound, song selection, hair color, body type or whatever. It’s totally subjective voting.

If you want to truly make it a talent contest then you need to include judge’s scores into the mix as Dancing W/the Stars. Or allow the judges to determine which of the bottom three/two get the boot as with Grease, You’re the One that I Want. Until then any part talent hack who strikes a chord with viewers or has the ability to create a large fan base will continue to push out better singers with worse leverage.

52. nikki Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 10:01 am

sanjaya SUCKS
    he needs to go home casue all he is doing and the people that are voting for him are sending people home that deserve to be there. cause his voice sucks, his hair sucks and he is ugly. he would be good at modeling but not singing. all i know is that he needs to go home, cause american idol isnt about the worst singer winning its about the best proformer winning. and if someone wants to have a show with the worst proformer winning then someone should come out with one, not sit there and vote for the worst person on american idol, its not right. every one that has been voted off is 100 times better than sanjaya and he know it and so does everyone backing him up, and they deserve to be there not him.

53. nikki Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 10:03 am

sanjaya SUCKS

54. RK Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 11:21 am

You may think AI is not a popularity context but there is much more to being a performer than having a great voice. Just look at all famous performers out there like Madonna who have made 10s of millions of dollars without having the greatest voice. I think Sanjaya also has IT; he looks good on stage; and he is a nice kid. I am voting for him

55. Jewels R Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I thought Sanjaya had the “It” factor from the beginning. I was so proud for him to cut loose this week on the show, maybe he’s not the best singer but he certainly is the most interesting.

I loved that wild crazy side. You go boy!

56. Sanjaya!!!!!!!!!!!!! Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 3:11 pm

I am going to vote for Sanjaya. I voted for him 82 times. He is the best on AI.

57. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Sanjaya’s voice is so wonderful. If anyone disagrees you idiots need miracle ear.

58. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 3:49 pm

I do not see what all the fuss is about he is a great big ball of talent. I will buy his cd. His last performance was grand. He came out of his shell and had girls crying w/ his magnificent voice.

59. Ariana Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Paula Simon and Randy are so not being fair to Sanjaya just because he hasa girly voice desn`t mean people shuld post online that he sucks it`s wrong and hurts the other persons feeling and Simon was very very rude!

60. soul patrol Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:05 pm

Sanjaya is the “worst” singer in the bunch, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be marketable if he makes the Top five.

I’m sure a record label (Disney?) will sign him.

He’s a tenor, and at 17 is about 13 years before his prime (most Tenors peak at age 30).

With the right amount of electronic tweekage and a good studio backing, Sanjaya *could* be the next MJ. His international presence will be amazing: He will outsell Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood in the overseas market (there are 1.2 billion Indians, 200 million Japanese, etc).

61. sonjit Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 12:32 am

simon said it – the kids brave; he feels it when people groan when he’s not eliminated but he doesnt let it make him bitter – just makes him bounce back; how many kids do we know who are like that? The boy can go places – I mean if Madonna and JLo can sell records – this kids can too and how! A good thing in my opnion, the kids clean, the kids sweet, the kids charming and easy on the eyes. A good role model for American young ones. Go Sanjay. Show ‘em!

62. Melissa Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 9:57 am

I think Sanjaya is great and is a good role model he can handle press if he can handle all this crap and not quit i think he sings great and ive liked/ voted for him since the beginning i think young kids can look up to him by him not putting other’s down and just taking the crap he’s been given i hope he does win honestly or at least top 5 and make a record deal ill buy the cd!

63. T.F. Otmi Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 11:12 am

Hmmm…looks like the Worm is Turning and people are starting to see the Truth…Sanjaya has shown poise under pressure, determination and plain old American GUTS for his performances thus far…The Fact of the Matter is Sanjaya will be YOUR next American Idol…VOTE SANJAYA!!!!!

64. KT Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Definitely Simon in particular has been nasty toward Sanjaya, but then Simon has been nasty to so many others. Sanjaya may not deserve to win the contest, he is still too young and his voice has obviously not matured. BUT if he was so freakin’ bad how the heck was he not eliminated long time before!? I think he was on the “borderline”, so to speak, but was still brought in because AI thrives on controversy.

I also strongly believe that judges like Simon who revel in humiliating contestants should have some decent credentials as artists. I mean who is Simon Cowell after all!?? He can’t sing, can’t dance, and cannot play any other musical instrument other than some really basic guitar.

65. IdolFan55 Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Sanjaya will be in top five – gauranteed!! especially if the judges continue to be unfair to this kid.

He has a soft, sweet “singing” voice. Sometimes it feels like the band is overshadowing him. They should tone it down and he should go full throttle.

66. Sanjaya? Says:
    March 26th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Sanjaya doesn’t deserve to even be in the top 24. He is terrible, and anyone who votes for him is ridiculous. Oh he’s so sweet! NO HES NOT! Oh his voice! HIS VOICE IS TERRIBLE! Oh the judges are so harsh on him i feel bad! THE JUDGes ARE HARD ON ALL OF THEM AND I THINK THEY’RE BEING WAY TOO NICE TOO SANJAYA! HE IS JUST TERRIBLE AND ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING HIM SYMPATHY VOTES ARE RUINING THE SHOW. PLEASE STOP ALL THIS NONSENSE.

67. beez Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 11:15 am

Sanjaya is simply pitiful. He might be cute (NMSAA) but this show is not about being cute or not. Does he have a voice or not, not just in general but compare to others. No he doesn’t. Shame on those who keep him in and make other great talents (or just simply better singers) fall out. It makes me sick to my stomach. I can’t wait for him to go home, he is a loser. No matter how cute he is or he is not.

68. Sarah Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 9:33 pm

OMG!! Okay this year and last I always feel bad for the contestants most made fun of. I suppose that i should’t but I do, and I feel for Sanjaya, although my favorite Idol contestants are Blake and Jordin.

69. Deb Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 6:56 am

I am dissappointed in these type of websites that set young people up for failure, do you relize if sanjaya wins, the recording companies can back out of a contract just because they can afford it and not sign sanjaya, you are not doing him any justice by voting just because you think hes cute or has a nice smile, the winner gets a contract, the recording studio does not have to sign them, they are trying to make money on the artists not the looks. Please do the kid a favor and let him go. Singing is not his gig. Maybe modeling is…..Your going to crush his ego about his singing, please spare him the humiliation. Stop voting for him, you setting him up. Its ok to love him, but not for his voice, he does not deserve to be the American Idol, Carrie Underwood is amazing, do you think Sanjaya will become as successful as her, no I don’t think so, not for his voice anyway.
    Please leave the kid alone, I am not a Sanjaya fan but you people are making me worry about what will happen to him when his ego gets splattered all over the world because reality is what it is.
    Any of these contestants that are being voted off the show will have recording deals whether they win or not so the will be much more successful than with there careers in singing than Sanjaya, don’t watch and help him crumble. Let him go Stop voting for him, your gonna kill his ego forever.

70. samantha Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

vote sanjaya, vote sanjaya. i wanna see simons face when sanjaya wins. plus i am like the biggest fan of sanjaya.

VOTE FOR SANJAYA

71. samantha Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

VOTE FOR SANJAYA

72. Deb Says:
    March 30th, 2007 at 5:25 am

If you all think Sanjaya has a great voice, you are all as tone deaf as he is. You can’t possibly think he is better than Blake or Melinda or Lakesha, your making him think he is. He is in for a rude awakening when a recording company refuses to sign him because they will never make any money off him. His audition was good, but he has sucked since then. Please spare him from complete and forever disappointment, your helping to destroy his integrity. How can you feel good about that.

73. shruti Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 7:41 am

i think the whole techies and indians supporting him thing is just so ridiculous! i used to like howard stern before that.

the kid is not great, but then, the judges and not the public put him in top 24. if he is so ridiculous, why was he even put up there?

and the whole conspiracy abt indian techies to producers putting him up there..well, american idol or even the whole idol series that takes place around the world, isnt about vocal talen as it is. its a media gimmik. vocal talent isnt just abt screaming in a large voice, because frankly, all of them just sound the same, and that makes its boring. a big voice isnt a good voice, a voice with a character is. sanjaya though, is just a far less experianced singer. he seems scared.

plus i think that its cruel to put the blame on that kid! he just auditioned. lots of weirdos who are actually ridiculous audition for the show. beyond that, they cannot control what they do. its not their fault that they get judges into top 24 and voted into top 9.

i think every once in a while ppl need someone to hate on. its kinda cathartic. i hope that it doesnt affect that kid though, that he is strong enough. coz he isnt responsible for it. actually he is taking it quite well.

74. steve p. Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 10:12 am

If I was asked how to change any thing with American Idol, this is what I would change:Only one vote per viewer. I understand that it sounds good for Ryan Seacrest to say,” Over thirty one million votes were cast last night” Please, Mr. Seacrest don’t patronize the viewers. I personally have watch Idol since season three to the current season, I have never once voted.Those thirty million voters, are not thirty million indivual votes. Let’s put a stop to the Sanajaya factor. If everyone had to register to vote, this would never happen. To market the “new voting system” drawings and other prize stuff could handed out.Just an opinion, from a frustrated viewer, Thanks, Steve!

75. Ric Says:
    April 2nd, 2007 at 12:53 pm

i think sanjaya is good. Most of them who give bad comment about Sanjaya are bias and racist.

76. maki Says:
    April 2nd, 2007 at 1:11 pm

Sanjaya is great. He make it during the audition , hollywood round and to the top24. If he really can’t sing and have no talent at all then why the judges still let him stay and not eliminate him during hollywood round? He is now top 10. Actually who is really suck? Sanjaya or the american who vote ? There must be a course and effect. The judges make him to be the top 24 and it was the people who voted him that make him to top 10 now. Really not his fault. I really think that he is great and he definitely can sing very well.

77. Jerry Says:
    April 3rd, 2007 at 8:35 pm

You did again man you were great… keep up the fun…
    America loves you…LOL

78. ashamed_of_america Says:
    April 6th, 2007 at 10:44 am

Why so so many people pick on a young kid so much. Why would they find conspiracy theories for his popularity? Why are they doing this just to him. How come they did not say that the whole of Africa or all black people in america voted for Fantasia (Frankly I could not stand her – she just screamed and shouted and jiggled!) or that all the latinos in and outside america voted for the hispanic candidates! Why pick on Sanjaya – just because he has 1 indian parent or an indian name does not make him Indian!! You dont have to be white and of European origin to be American!! JUst because he has long hair or an open smile does not make him gay! This is just terrible. Now its no longer important to a lot of people who vote for him whether he can sing or not. They are just voting to say they do not approve of intolerant people who bully and pick on people who do not look, or act like them. Calling him Indian or gay etc just shows how racist and intolerant america really is! And shame on the judges especially Paula who gushes on and patronizes everyone, but is ever so mean to this boy!

79. Anonymous Says:
    April 6th, 2007 at 3:43 pm

hey, if Sanjaya ever releases an album, I’m buying it. He may not be as strong of a singer as the rest, but cmon! The guy CAN sing. And give him a break, he’s 17. For that age, the kid has talent. And he was there because the people wanted him to be.

Besides, if you listen to his singing again without listening to the others, he really has melody to his voice.

Only immature people can’t accept defeat. This kid faces haters everyday.

Go Sanjaya!

80. Lino Says:
    April 6th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

A few decades ago when the main source of music to the public was audio radio, the most important element to becoming a great Singer was having a big voice, that was the “Old Standard”.
    In this day and age music is an “Audio-Visual” experience in which good looks, stage presence and having a distinctive vocal personality are more important than the traditional “Big Voice,” this is the “New Standard.”
    If we take in to consideration the “New Standard” in music today, Sanjaya is the best Performer/Singer in the competition with the look, stage presence and distinctive vocal personality.

81. Ben Says:
    April 7th, 2007 at 3:48 am

Well, you can make out only from following this page why he has such a fan following. Its not because of vote for the worst or Indian call centers or any other conspiracy theories. The major portion of this board genuinely like him and want to win. The ones who dont want him to win are in a minority. Whi can argue with 4 million votes. No amount of conspiracy theory can explain that! Common People on the street genuinely want him to win.

82. Lux Says:
    April 9th, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Sure Lakisha and Melinda can sing…but I wouldn’t buy their records. Maayybe Jordin. However Leona Lewis from X-Factor (England) blows anyone who’s sung on AI away hands down!

83. Anonymous Says:
    April 10th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Sanjaya is where he is because people put him there. Simon, Paula and Randy are where they are because people put them there. It is all a matter of luck. If he gets lucky, maybe he can win. All you guys who made it to the top are not exactly the best. You just got LUCKY!

84. star baltz Says:
    April 10th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

85. Sweatband man Says:
    April 12th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

This season is proving that you do not need talent you just need fans. The world is hard and critics are going to be alot harder on Sanjaya then idol. the mainstream for the most part sucks. It can all be traced back to what is marketable. Sanjaya in comparison to the other contestants is far more marketable thus he is still is in it and if he remains he will have so much hate mail from idiots it wont be funny. And that is why i am waiting to hear from Conan.

86. Nelson Del Pino Says:
    April 16th, 2007 at 6:01 am

Hello I’m Sanjaya Malakars Vocal Trainer. I want to make it clear where I stand on the Sanjaya Phenomenom. Much of the controversy about Sanjayas vocal talents is fabricated by the show. Sanjaya has the BEST VOICE among rthe contestants and is also the BEST VOCAL TALENT!!! to read more on american idol go to my web-site vocalstarstudio.com

87. rav Says:
    April 19th, 2007 at 3:31 pm

I really admire the fact that the kid had done a great performance devoid of being the centre of criticism on the show , and everyone of us is aware that the producers of the show din’t want him to win and were treating him unfairly compared to the other contestents. But confidently and did his job , no matter what !!! Sanjaya’s spirit is quite admirable. I wish he won and Simon wouldn’t know where to keep shove his face.

88. Ronda Says:
    April 19th, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Blah, blah, blah… People, this little cute boy was the best. Guys SUCK this year. And it’s rediculous how they try to be serious and so to say “perform”. It’s clear from the very beginning – Jordine is the idle and 2 other black girls follow her. They are great and really talented. But that makes all season predictable. Sanjaya just enjoyed being there – and kept the show interesting. AND – it’s ok if you do stupid things being 17. NOT when you are 25+ and take yourself as serious as those suckers do.

89. Protectomatic Music and Entertainment Says:
    May 8th, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Sanjaya will be back in his hometown of Seattle, Washington this Saturday, May 12th at noon at the Mural Amphitheatre in Seattle Center for a meet and greet with fans, friends and supporters.

Comments