American Idol Viewer Goes On Hunger Strike Over Sanjaya Malakar

March 22, 2007 12:01 AM by Joe Reality

According to Extra, Simon Cowell basically threatened to quit the show
if Sanjaya Malakar won American Idol 6.  Now, an American Idol viewer
is threatening to go a little further, and possible starve herself to
death.

An American Idol viewer, who identifies herself only as J., has set up a My Space page and a You Tube video to promote a hunger strike that she is going on called “Starvation for Sanjaya.”  According to the My Space page, “So until the day that Sanjya is no longer American Idol, I will be going on a hunger strike.  This means I will refuse to eat anything until American Idol voters wise up, and stop voting Sanjya through each week.”

In the You Tube video, a girl in a darkened room with a bright lamp in the background spoke directly into the camera.  After expressing her dismay over Sanjaya Malakar continuing in the competition, she said “Therefore, I am going to continue my hunger strike until Sanjaya is either voted off, the producers rescind his spot in the top twelve, or he graciously steps down from his position.”

The My Space page has accumulated over eight hundred friends, and someone named Matt has also joined J. in the hunger strike.  Given Sanjaya’s much improved performance recently on American Idol, J. might have many hungry days in front of her.  On the last results show, Sanjaya wasn’t even in the bottom two.

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol

Topics: American Idol |

52 Responses to “American Idol Viewer Goes On Hunger Strike Over Sanjaya Malakar”

1. hammer Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 12:55 am

J,

I understand your sentiments regarding Sanjaya. But if you are really pushing through with your hunger strike, then you are much more crazy than the ones who have voted for Sanjaya.

2. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 1:44 am

the girl that is doing this: you’re more psycho than the ones that first tried out. wake up to yourself and realize that you have no power to stop people from voting for him whatsoever. In fact the more you aggrevate his fans, the more they are going to continue voting for him. I speak for myself too because idiots like you can’t stop me voting for him. stop being so stupid over a silly singing competition. Do you think he’s going to care if you starve yourself to death? or his fans? and who the hell is forcing you to like him or buy his cd? if you hate him then fine, do whatever crazy things u want to express that, just don’t expect other people to stop voting for him becuase of your so called hunger strike.

3. People's Voice Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 3:34 am

Reguarding Sanjaya… Let him win. I hope they do through the show. I hope they can do it to all the reality tv shows so we can get some sitcoms back on the air worth watching again. REALITY TV SUCKS!!! If we wanted to see that we would watch the NEWS!!!

4. People's Voice Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 3:37 am

5. lil Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 4:50 am

hunger strike come on thats silly but sanjaya has no business being in the top 10 or in the top anything for that matter, nice kid cute but he cant sing. hopefully a record company somewhere will pick up stephanie, she has a great talent,
    maybe next season simon and crew will be more careful about who they let though to the semifinal and finals

6. oshira Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:59 am

Sanjaya must go hom e her cant sing at all

Pls go home

7. Mary Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 8:08 am

to J:

This is one of the dumbest ways to get attention I have ever heard of …. lol!

********************
    LISTEN:

It’s not difficult to understand why Sanjaya would make it to the Top 10 –

The TOUR !

Look how they made a big deal of the young girl crying for him – AI knows Sanjaya on the tour will SELL TOUR TICKETS!

Now that he is on the tour – he’ll get voted out.

That said … I actually like him. He has talent! .. but he’s just not as mature and LOUD as the others. Calm down … he won’t win …

Every year … EVERY year …. there has been this controversy over a contestant – this year it’s Sanjaya (poor Sanjaya) – and controversy = ratings. That’s all.

8. cookiemonster Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 9:14 am

I hope she makes herself very ill for doing this. Is she racist?
    Anyway, there was something about Sanjaya when he first auditioned for AI. It has not come across the last few weeks. He’s quite a shy kid. He’s finally come out this week, though his performance could use some improvement. I voted for Sanjaya in hopes that he will show us that he really does have what it takes, and shut the cruel people that keeps picking on him. Older people picking on someone younger – don’t you folks have anything better to do? Heartless and shameless.
    I do hope some of you people here would take some classes on improving your spelling before writing up your comments.

9. rachaellle Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 9:15 am

J,
    U want to fo on an indefinate HUNGER STRIKE over SANJAYA,,,, PLZ do so. It is another good publicity for him… Starving is good for health too. Afterall U R wsating ur time & food.
    SANJAYA will STAY longer than AMERICAN IDOL Show is even over.

10. Jewels R Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 9:17 am

I got a good laugh from this fool girl’s myspace and her entreaty to hunger strike until Sanjaya’s off. Looking at her, she can go quite a while and really, after it’s all said and done, and she’s dropped 50 pounds, she should hug Sanjaya. Perhaps with losing the weight, she’ll grow up. Like some kind of 3 year old tantrum, “I’m not going to eat until he leaves!” Sheesh.

I hope Sanjaya has the opportunity to stick around a long while. He was entertaining this week, and I find him one of the most interesting this season. I loved what he did with The Kinks’ tune. Call me crazy, I don’t care, I like this kid.

11. Entertainment Guru Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 10:32 am

I won’t be surprised if someone discovered tomorrow that AI paid this girl to go on “hunger strike”. It’s all ENTERTAINMENT and Fox knows how to make people TALK about something. Now watch the blondes with legs in FOX and watch “news”.

12. SlimdownforSANJAYA Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 10:38 am

I checked the myspace site. She is FAT, she is 23 and like 300 lbs. She needs to starve for at least a year to be normal.

13. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 12:30 pm

lol she’s doing herself a favor actually. She can live without eating until the finale. That’s a silly thing to do anyway. Now that he has given his best perfomance, he might start growing and who knows what’s gonna happen. And Simon is just being a cry-baby.

14. Ranto Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I remember back in the 1970s, some kid committed suicide when BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA was cancelled. Little did he know that it would be brought back the next year — and then a better show (Star Trek: The Next Generation) would soon follow.

Should I predict that J will starve herself to death and then Sanjaya will be ejected in the next week?

I could see starving myself until Scott Savol was voted off, but Sanjaya? Who really cares? Better singers may go befor ehim — but those people would have gone anyway.

15. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 2:06 pm

That is so stupid. You would rather starve your self or die instead of watching Sanjaya on tv. Werid

16. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 2:15 pm

That is so stupid to go on a hunger strike. You want to starve yourself and maybe die just because you can’t stand seeing Sanjaya on American Idol. Grow up and get a life.

17. justsomegirl12121212121 Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 4:13 pm

dont you guys feel bad for sanjaya at all. i think he actually wants to be voted off the show, the reactions on his face truly show. i am sure he is just trying to have fun now and not really concerning himself with winning. it is not his fault that he is still on the show, it is the fault of everyone who is voting for him as a joke. there is no need to humiliate the poor kid

18. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:16 pm

sanjaya aint the best but is stupid to have a hunger strike over it

19. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:16 pm

sanjaya aint the best but is stupid to have a hunger strike over it

20. Anonymous Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 8:38 pm

I just think the woman just wants to find an excuse to lose weight. She won’t die if she starves herself just now and I’m sure she will “cheat” so yea nobody cares.

21. Erin Says:
    March 22nd, 2007 at 11:29 pm

I feel bad for Sanjaya. I never thought he was that good to begin with…not even in the auditions.

But this season, the judges and producers have put through some really bad singers in favor of looks (possibly trying to counteract last year’s Taylor phenomenon). And this is the result.

But it makes me mad that the judges seem to take pleasure in saying how bad Sanjaya is each and every week. Like its his fault he got this far. The judges and producers picked him. America is voting for him. We’re stuck with him. Live with it and leave him alone.

22. Mike Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 1:42 am

If the producers stop sending in the idiots and pay more attention to the talent they send home. I’ll stop voting for the worst. Half the kids in Los Angeles never had a chance to sing ONE NOTE to the prelimenary judges. This means the people in the top 12 are not the best singers to try out for the show. It’s not fair to the people that work so hard and never get a chance. They don’t allow cameras in view of the judging area because they know if people saw this they would never try. VOTE FOR THE WORST!

23. zztop Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 4:06 am

People love BIG NEWS. And it will be VERY BIG NEWS if J dies in hunger strike!

OK. I’m in! I’ll vote for Sanjaya from now on!!

24. Me Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 4:41 am

Sounds like some anorexic’s excuse to stop eating. Get help J!

25. K Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 2:00 pm

way to make them keep him on the show. people are going to want to see how long you can go without eating and vote for him to stay on the show. looks like if it wins we will give the congrats to you. plus, get over it, its the top 10 not the top 2.

26. K Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 2:00 pm

27. mario21 Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 6:00 pm

what a looser you are J. however you can afford to loose about 100lbs so from today onwards im for sanjaya ;)

GO SANJAYA!
    GO SANJAYA!
    GO SANJAYA!

28. Vote4Sanjaya Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Mike I

29. bob bundjat Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 12:35 am

why judges choices sanjaya to workshop ai if the judges dont want sanjaya go to top 12 now top10,i dont like sanjaya but i think he no bad like judges say,he remain me about the idol winner in my country ( the winner of indonesian idol seasons 3 named ihsan ) no have good voice,no good perform,but can win the idol coz sentimental reason

30. Tim Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 6:59 am

What is wrong with you american voters.
    Start using your brains and not your hearts.
    This is a competition is it not.
    Its like a mommy telling there kid that he can do anything but in reality there really afraid of hurting there feelings and there own hopes.

31. DONNA PERRY Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 9:33 am

OH MY GOODNESS WHAT IS AMERICAN COMING TO ANYWAYS? EVERYONE IS ALWAYS TRYING TO GAIN THE LIME LIGHT. SO WHAT IF SANJAYA GOT IN THE TOP 10 FINALISTS. HE IS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE AND I FEEL HE IS HOLDING BACK. REMEMBER HE WAS VOTED A BETTER SINGER THEN HIS SISTER. THERE ARE SO MANY SINGERS OUT THERE THAT CAN’T SING. I ALWAYS SAY TO MYSELF I SHOULD BE RICH AS A SINGER. HE’S GOT THE LOOKS AND PERSONALITY AND ALL HE NEEDS IS THE RIGHT MANAGER AND TRAINOR. LEAVE THEPOOR KID ALONE. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO HE MIGHT MEET ON AMERICAN IDOL. MAYBE HIS DREAM. I PERSONALLY THINK HE REMINDS ME OF THE LITTLE BOY I THE JUNGLE BOOK. I SENT THIS QUESTION IN TO AMERICAN IDOL. WE’LL SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

32. Betty Boop Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 3:37 pm

San Junka or whatever his name is BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He should be gone! And if he wins, I will never watch this crap again!
    Stephani was better than most of the other singers too! she got SCREWED!

America BLOWS for voting for the little girl!

He so gay! Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but go knit something!!!!!!!!11

33. Adrian Colaco Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

Firstly kudos to all the contestants…

Personally i feel almost all the contestants arent up to par this season. Im no music producer, but it doesnt take an expert to realize that the competition is loosing its bite music quality wise.

It a win win situation for the producers of the show becuase whoever wins, is a guaranteed revenue earner through record, ticket and merchandise sales. However one does wonder, has America exhausted its talent or is American talent gotten wise to the “INSTANT STAR” process of the show.

Fantasia and Taylor Hicks lol arent very popular.. the ones that actually come second or lose the competition end up doing better. I personally feel, they do so because they have something the general public can relate with. “Failure” and the fact they struggle and deal with it. People are bound to identify with a rags to riches story than one of perseverance. Case in point DAUGTRY ROCKS.

and oh yeh finally i’m pakistani, off indian origin, so dont get me wrong im all for Indian boys running away with the american idol prize,, but he really does suck, He butchered the Van Halen song… it hurt me a little to hear him.. This further proves my “America always votes for the underdog” theory.

Give the kid a break, he seems honest sincere, (maybe a bit feminine) american kid, treat him like one.

What are the parents of ‘hunger strike kid’ doing?

34. Meeka Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 12:13 am

NO ONE SHOULD BE TALKING BAD ABOUT SANJAYA BEING A BAD SINGER, BECAUSE IF THE JUDGES WOULD NOT HAVE LET HIM THROUGH TWICE, NOBODY WOULD BE LISTENING OR VOTING FOR HIM. SOME TRULY TALANTED AND HARD WORKING PEOPLE GOT RIPPED OFF BECAUSE THE JUDGES LET SANJAYA,BRANDON,JARED,RUDY, AND ANTONELLA THROUGH. I HOPE THE PEOPLE AT VFTW CONTINUES TO VOTE FOR SANJAYA UNTIL HE WINS, THAT WILL TEACH THOSE STUPID JUDGES NOT TO RIP THOSE POOR HARD WORKING AND TRULY TALENTED SINGERS OFF. I AM SO UPSET ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON THAT I JUST DON’T GIVE TWO CRAPS WHO WINS.

35. Whatthehell? Says:
    March 26th, 2007 at 3:25 pm

That is so stupid. She would rather starve her self to dealth then watch Sanjaya. I would rather watch Sanjaya then die. This is so stupid. This women needs some mental help because right now it seems like shes mental.

36. Mike Says:
    March 26th, 2007 at 8:05 pm

That viewer “J” has duped hundreds of news media including yours in the name of starvation for Sanjaya. The profile of that viewer has a link to FitnessSingles.com website which pays $3.00 for every (http://www.fitness-singles.com/affiliate.asp) new profile created with link from J’s myspace profile. It is simply a moneymaking sham. There is no starvation involved.

37. Al Y Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

I hope J dies from this stupid hunger strike. If there is nothing more important in her life than American Idol, she is worthless to society. Starve away, J.

38. Pam Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 8:19 pm

I cannot wait until Sanjaya gets voted off. I know this shouldn’t bother me, but I can not believe that America keeps voting for him!!!What is wrong with this? Why don’t parents stop letting their 12 yr olds vote for him. He is not even in the same league as a LOT of people that were sent home!!!

39. Pam Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I cannot wait until Sanjaya gets voted off. I know this shouldn’t bother me, but I can not believe that America keeps voting for him!!!What is wrong with America? Why don’t parents stop letting their 12 yr olds vote for him. He is not even in the same league as a LOT of people that were sent home!!! I don’t think I would hunger strike though.

40. Starvation for Stupidity Says:
    March 28th, 2007 at 9:44 pm

End the stupidity.

41. ThAaNoNyMoUs Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 1:09 am

This girl is going on a hunger strike over a singing competition? How do you say CONCEITED? There are starving children in Africa and Asia and this girl is going to give up food over a complete stranger? He thought he could be America’s next Idol and now that he may have a chance, people want to take away his moment in the limelight because they don’t think he’s talented? She has no merit to her decision and needs counseling or some much-needed attention. Sanjaya may not be the greatest singer in the world, but the guy isn’t an evil dictator or at the very least a conceited greedy materialistic celebrity. He may not win Idol despite the Vote For The Worst/Howard Stern campaigns. If he did, he probably wouldn’t sell much so what’s the point in investing hate towards someone you don’t even know?

42. adam Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

VOTE SANJAYA OR DIE! t-shirt

43. Paris Says:
    March 30th, 2007 at 11:34 am

With all that is wrong with the world, this load decides to starve herself over a cheesy reality competition show. I weep for the future of America. People like “J” are why other countries laugh their asses off at the USA. Go make yourself a sandwich J, or better yet find yourself a man. What a waste of space you are.

44. May Says:
    April 3rd, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Hold the phone! Here’s the karma! If Sanjaya is not in the top 6, I WILL NOT GO TO THAT FIELD TRIP AT MY SCHOOL! That’s the only way i will be at the school field trip that day. So HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT HUH?! HA!!

45. May Says:
    April 3rd, 2007 at 3:50 pm

Sanjaya better be at the top 3 or else! If he’s not at the top 3, I will try to run Anthony Fedorov out of buisness. I will say all these ugly things of Mr. Fedorov that way he will have to quit Hollywood!

46. Bray Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 10:49 am

PEOPLE PEOPLE PLEASE STOP HATING ON SANJAYA HE CAN SING AND THATS FINAL. SO GO ON YO LIL ” HUNGER STRIKE” YOU’LL JUST BE ONE DUMB GIRL WHO STARVED CAUSE SHE DIDN’T LIKE A SINGER WHOSE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HER. BUT IF ITS THAT SERIOUS JUST FIND ANOTHER SHOW TO WATCH AND ITS SETTLED

47. Anonymous Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

J,
    i know sanjaya SUCKS but you should not starve yourself over it. iknow he will leave this week.

48. ALexis Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

J,
    sanjaya sucks soooooooooooooo much but i’m sure he wil NOT win!!!!!!

49. matt Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 12:50 pm

J,
    i love sanjaya but what do i know????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????i am just a stupid boy!!!!!!!!!!!

50. Erin Says:
    April 10th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I believe that the girl who is going on the hunger strike is ridiculous and it is only making sanjaya stay LONGER! She just wants some attention. seriously, I mean how did any of this even start with sanjaya? If you know, please send me back a message! I really am so disapointed. The judges should say something to him…or just vote him off! hahaaha How funny would that be if they just voted him off without america, because SOMEEEE idiots can’t take a show seriously and think it’s sooo funny to let him win?!?! WTF.

51. Steven Says:
    April 12th, 2007 at 12:08 am

I don’t understand why Joe, the writer of the article, loves Sanjaya so much? Are you psychotic or something? Sanjaya can’t sing. His performances are crap. This is a singing competition! Come on! Come on people! Who can honestly say Sanjaya is a better then the other’s? If you think that, then you must no nothing about music, or you must be deaf. He should not be on there! AND for the people who are voting for him, just to try to destroy the show then QUITE WATCHING IT! TURN THE CHANNEL! Just because your life is miserable, and you are an anti-fun, miserable, psychotic person, you don’t need to try to ruin an excellent show, that everyone in the world loves, AMERICAN IDOL!!!

52. www.lake-shore.co.uk Says: