American Idol Finalist Stephanie Edwards Talks About Losing Herself

March 24, 2007 12:08 AM by Joe Reality

Many American Idol viewers were surprised when Stephanie Edwards was
recently eliminated from the show.  Based on vocal ability alone,
Stephanie seemed to belong in the top ten.  However, lack of screen
time, a weak song choice, and constant comparisons to other singers in
the competition likely all contributed to her not making it further.

In a recent conference call with media, Stephanie Edwards touched on all these issues and more.  When asked how shocked she was on a scale of one to ten to see her and Chris in the bottom two, Stephanie said “I was probably about a five, just because of my performance from last night – I mean the night before – the results, I think that I just had a feeling that I was going to be in the bottom, just because of what the judges said about my performance.  And I was right.”

When asked what she would do differently is she had it all to do over again, Stephanie said “I would have definitely chose an upbeat, like faster song, just because the judges said they like me singing upbeat songs better, so I would have done that differently, definitely.”

When asked if she agreed with the judges saying she lost a little steam, Stephanie said “I just felt that I kind of lost myself in the mix of them comparing me to other contestants.  I was trying to please the judges, and I should have just pleased myself and pleased America obviously, because they’re the ones that are voting.  It was up to them in the end.  I just lost myself, I think.  That’s the only thing I can say really.”

When asked if the reason for her elimination might have been that she was competing for the same audience as Lakisha and Melinda and Jordin, Stephanie said “Yes.  I don’t know, not so much of Jordin I think, but the judges did definitely compare me to Lakisha and Melinda.  I think that’s where I kind of started trying to sing ballads and show off more vocals.  I should have just stuck to what I do best, which is put on a show and just perform more and not so much of all the belting and everything.  So I think I just kind of lost myself in that whole mix of being compared to them.  I just never quite found it in time before America voted me off.”

When asked if she thought it was fair for the judges to constantly compare her with the other singers, Stephanie said “I don’t, but at the same time, they are going to say what they feel, so whether I thought it was fair or not, they can do that basically.  They are able to compare whoever they want to compare; they’re the judges.”

When asked about the most encouraging comment or advice she received, Stephanie said “I think it was Randy that just kind of told me to find Stephanie.  When I sang Beyonce, he thought I sounded like Beyonce, but I get that a lot.  But the best advice I think was when he told me to just make sure I find Stephanie amongst everything.”

When asked how having less screen time than some of the other top twelve might have affected her, Stephanie said “I don’t think that was the case of me getting voted off, but I think it may have had something to do with just in general, like people not getting the chance to really get to know me, I guess.  Because they kind of kept me, even from when we were in Hollywood week, they didn’t really show much of me throughout until like the top 24.  And then I think people got a chance to see my personality more then.”

When asked about Vote for the Worst and Howard Stern supporting Sanjaya Malakar, Stephanie said “I’ve heard about some of the stuff about him, but none of the contestants commented on anything and we really never talked about what was going on outside of the show and what we were doing.  I didn’t even know what Vote for the Worst was, so I had no idea that he was even on there or anything.”

When asked about her feeling on it, Stephanie said “I think that everyone that is in the top ten deserves to be there.  And as far as the top 12, it’s the same thing.  We were all good singers.  So to me there is not a worst.  There is not someone where they can tweak the results because we are all good.  America is going to vote for their favorite and whoever they think they like the most.  At this point in the competition, everyone is good.  Now it’s about people voting for their favorites and who they like the most.  So I don’t think it’s anyone with the Vote for the Worst.  I don’t agree with that.  I don’t think that there’s anyone that is the worst and that they’re going to be able to change the results from the American Idol not being a great singer, because everyone that is left is a great singer.”

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol

Topics: American Idol |

17 Responses to “American Idol Finalist Stephanie Edwards Talks About Losing Herself”

1. DENNIS FM DOVER Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 2:32 am

THAT CRYING GIRL ON IDOL WAS SO DAMN FUNNY THAT IT ALMOST MADE ME VOTE FOR SANJAYA. I AM OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER HOW YOUNG GIRLS WERE CRYING OVER THE BEATLES. THAT BOY HAS SOMETHING.

2. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 3:58 am

The crying girl was crying for everyone.

3. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 11:46 am

what’s up with the switch of hands? In Melinda’s song she ended with the mike in her left hand, but in the recap it was in her right. Do they have rehearsal or a do-over or a snippet or what?? It looks suspicious to me.

4. Anonymous Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 11:47 am

5. Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Maybe John Breaux is pulling the strings since Lakisha is on the verge of being “Kathleen Blanco’ed.” in three weeks.

6. Jim Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

I’m done with American Idol. It’s not about talent anymore — it’s about gimmicks.

7. Jim Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 8:29 pm

8. Manda Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

I was almost crying like that little girl only for a totally different reason. That kid really cannot sing! It was a horrible performance. The little girl was the only thing that made the performance bearable.

9. Nikki Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 11:09 pm

American Idol is not what it used to be. I am disappointed in this season. It seems to not be about talent. I am so tired of Randy always calling everyone’s voice “PITCHY”! And Simon is just for entertainment. I am so over AI!!!!I love Paula!!!!

10. Joe Ayertey Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 2:09 am

I think stephanie was voted out not because she can’t sing but because she looks too confident in herself and thought she was already in the final three.Just let her know that we love her and will miss her.You are beautiful .

11. Ann Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 2:30 am

I am a faithful supporter of American Idol. This year I think it is all about popularity and not what it was started for and that was “TALENT”. I need not mention any names here because, “America” can see and hear.

12. louise Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 6:37 am

In response to the comment above about Melinda’s hand switch with the microphone, I remember a similar question arising last year and American Idol said the snippets shown at the end of the show are from the dress rehearsal before the live show.
    And as for Stephanie leaving, I was really sorry to see her go because in spite of what she says about everyone being good, she was “one” of the best. I think the problem is that there are three other really good female singers and she had a bit of an off night. At this point in the competition, anyone of the really good singers could have an off night and be voted off. However, Sanjaya is another story . . . I’ve watched AI since Season 2 and I’ve seen this happen before. I predict Sanjaya will stick around for a few more weeks unfortunately, but he won’t be in the final two. If he is, I won’t be watching AI then.

13. Raimo Sulin Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Lakisha and Melinda is experienced worker (special) + old lady´s.
    Sanjaya is yong boy and amatör.
    I like personal, cool, good singin (voice), kind amatör boy, Sanjaya. He is very good American Idol.

Sorry, I am speak very litlle english. I am Finland man (nord-europe).

14. Anonymous Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

I agree that Sanjaya is not on par with the other singers. However, he does have his audience. I watch AI via TIVO on Saturday with my 6 yr old kindergartner. After watching Sanjaya this week she exclaimed, “He IS really good. Let’s vote for him. Hurry, get your phone, I want to vote over and over.” After I finished laughing I explained that the voting had already happened and Sanjaya was safe. As they say, from the mouth of young children.

15. Bobcheesedoodle Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 4:39 pm

No one should be surprised by Sanjaya doing so well. Just like everything else in America, American Idol is out-sourcing it’s idols. The vote counting has probably been out-sourced to India as well, and, taking a cue from the Republican party in this country, they have tampered with the election results. Hopefully, if Sanjaya wins, he won’t unilaterally and arrogantly decide to start a war in another country under totally false pretenses.

16. Anonymous Says:
    March 26th, 2007 at 7:20 am

who vote for sanjaya?i think asian american & american moslem,i hate that

17. Anonymous Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 6:05 am

Melinda Doolittle is really getting on my nerves with that shy and shocked bit. I mean come on’ she is a back up singer. She has been in front of a crowd before so she knows what it’s like to perform onstage. I hate when she gives that “I don’t know if I can sing” look. She is really sickening and I hope Lakeisha smokes her tail. She is a trained singer and I don’t think she should win. If she is a back up singer, than why haven’t she had a record deal prior to AI. I don’t think she is all that. She is not the AI image.

Comments