American Idol Finalist Regrets Shout Out To Vote For The Worst

March 31, 2007 06:25 AM by Joe Blackmon

VoteForTheWorst.com has received much of the credit for keeping Sanjaya
Malkar
in the competition, even though American Idol producer Nigel
Lythgoe has compared the site to a fly buzzing around a cow.
Considering how unpopular the website is with American Idol producers,
it was very surprising when one of the American Idol finalists
apparently gave a shout out to the founder of Vote For The Worst on one
of the American Idol performance shows.  After singing “She’s Not
There,” Chris Sligh shouted out “Hi Dave” as Ryan Seacrest was giving
out his phone number, and Dave is the name of Vote For The Worst’s
founder.

When Chris Sligh was specifically asked in a recent media conference call if his shout out of “Hi Dave” was meant for the founder of the Vote For The Worst website, Sligh pleaded the fifth.  Sligh said “I don’t know if I should answer that question.”

When Chris Sligh was asked if that website might have been what did him in because they were voting for performers that weren’t as strong as him, Sligh said “I think that people underestimate Sanjaya.  I think that Sanjaya is actually a very good vocalist.  If you go to AmericanIdol.com and you download his songs, or even just listen to a preview, he has a good voice.  He’s 17 years old.  When I was 17 years old, I don’t think that I knew how to sing in a live situation.  I think that he gets a bum rap.  He’s a very, very sweet kid.”

When asked if his shout out to Dave of Vote for the Worst was just for fun or a strategy to get votes, Chris Sligh said “I think that I’ve shown all along that I joke around about different stuff.  I think in retrospect, it was a poor choice because I think that certain people took it as disrespect towards the show.  Sometimes with a snarky sense of humor, it can come across like that.  I honestly did not mean it as disrespectful towards the show.  I was just being stupid and silly, and it ended up not being a good choice.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol
or SirLinksALot: Chris
Sligh

Topics: American Idol |

8 Responses to “American Idol Finalist Regrets Shout Out To Vote For The Worst”

1. z Says:
    March 31st, 2007 at 8:03 pm

That’s more attention for a site that shouldn’t get any. At least Chris is learning that it’s better to think before you open your mouth. But it’s too late for him on idol.

2. Larry Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 6:49 am

IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING!!! Yeah, go for it VFTW! Lets keep Sanjaya in there and shut down this crazy show called American Idol. votefortheworst . com ROCKS!!! Howard Rocks!!

3. LJ Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 6:58 am

I AGREE with Larry. American Idol has become a joke and sad example of what happens when the producers of the show think they can force feed us crazy people like Sanjaya. The want ratings out of this, they got them and now the have reaped the whirlwind! AI is for all purposes FINISHED! VOTE FOR THE WORST is a great site and I support SANJAYA..yes!

4. Veronica Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 7:57 am

American Idol has turned into such a sham. I was a huge fan last year and had high hopes this year. Now with the Sanjaya scandal I think AI has taken a turn down and might never recover to a credible show again. Don’t forget, it was the Judges, Simon, Randy and Paula who put Sanjay the hair boy through in the first place. As the posts above say, I think that VFTW and Howard Stern are actually doing the right thing, exposings AI for what it is now, a media hog for attention, it needs to burn!

5. Ryan Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I think Howard is chauvinistic and discusting. He is ruining a perfectly good show by warping peoples thoughts on reality shows. If Sanjaya wins Simon has gone on record saying he’ll quit the show. I agree, if Sanjaya wins I won’t watch it either. I know several of my friends say if he wins they won’t watch the show anymore. I say we all just boycot Howards unintelligent and redneck watching/listening show. Get him off the air for poisoning our airwaves. I understand freedom of speach but when it gets to them point of getting a show off the air, that has obviously been doing great for 6 previous seasons, it shows in my opinion a sign of jealously. DOWN WITH HOWARD!

6. Ryan Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 2:49 pm

VFTW quotes this “We think Sanjaya’s in on the fun. So to the Malakar family: feel free to contact us, we love Sanjaya and we would love to see him win. The true haters are the people out there who bash him and say he sucks.” Yet the site ALSO says this “We’ve had VFTW victories in the past with contestants like John Stevens, Scott Savol, Kevin Covais, Kellie Pickler, and Taylor Hicks. We’re now gearing up for season 6 of America’s Largest Karaoke Contest. So, go on, embrace the cheesiness of American Idol and other television shows. Help us Vote For the Worst!” GEEE, VFTW … get your story straight … or better yet … close your site!

7. James Says:
    April 3rd, 2007 at 3:50 am

I’m beginning to agree that the producers need a wake-up call. They’re using AI as a gigantic ATM machine printing out millions in profits, but the artistry is GONE!

If it means backing them into a corner by keeping Sanjiya in, so be it. They need to get back to a real music competition, even if the audience drops in half to just 15 million viewers.

8. Carol Miranda Says:
    April 3rd, 2007 at 5:48 am

I think Sanjay’s performance is quite outstanding, & considering the bold efforts he has really made strides in achieving a remarkable selection – besides his strong voice, and character shines through the youthful exterior, given a little polishing with a good recording company he can prove to outwit all other contestants with his dynamism and vibrant charisma, I and my entire lot of friends vote for him hands down, Unfortunately v cant phone in as we are overseas, this voting system should be online so the world can participate.

Comments