Finalist Learns Poking Fun Of American Idol Can Lead To Hate Mail

March 31, 2007 11:37 AM by Joe Blackmon

One of the things that earned Chris Sligh some early fans was how he
poked fun of the cheesy aspects of American Idol, such as making a
reference to David Hasselhoff crying.  During a recent media conference
call, Sligh revealed that there were unforeseen consequences to poking
fun of Idol.

Sligh said “Here’s the thing with American Idol.  I have figured this out because of the unique position that I was in, it’s funny because I love the show, but at the same time there are some cheesy aspects that I poked fun at.  There are people who love the show so much that anything that is bad said about the show, or especially if you say something bad about Simon, for instance as I did and got screwed for it.  There are people who will literally write you hate mail.

Sligh also added “I have a blog.  There are posts that I had up that was just basically saying, “My blog will be back someday soon and you can leave comments on there.”  Literally, I would get for weeks after that comment with Simon would get hate mail from people.  People were telling me that they hoped that I would die because I told Simon I didn’t sound like Teletubbies.  So it kind of freaked me out because people take American Idol very, very seriously.  I don’t know.  I would hope that people would realize that me joking around about the show is very, very tongue and cheek because if I’m joking around about the show, it’s something that I’m in, and taking part of and I can’t be too upset with American Idol if they’re making me famous.”

Chris Sligh was so shaken up by the hate mail that he actually toned down some of his wisecracks.  Sligh said “I did.  Honestly, I think that it was when I started getting the hate mail from people that I went, “Whoa, what is this?”  I think it kind of scared me, honestly.  I had people who were telling me that they hoped I die, and that I hope that I would get my rear end voted off the show tomorrow.  It was just horrible, horrible things that people wrote to me.  I think it kind of scared me a little bit.  So I think for a couple of weeks, I kept my mouth shut for three weeks.  It was tough because I felt like the last couple of weeks I was starting to get back in my groove, and then I go home.  But it’s all good.  I’m looking forward to seeing what doors open up from here on out.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol
or SirLinksALot: Chris
Sligh.

Topics: American Idol |

7 Responses to “Finalist Learns Poking Fun Of American Idol Can Lead To Hate Mail”

1. jz Says:
    March 31st, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Chris seems like a decent guy who was just misunderstood. I didn’t know people were that serious about it either! Wow.

2. Lakisha Jones official fan site Says:
    March 31st, 2007 at 4:25 pm

People are dumb. Chris Sligh is a funny guy and if those same people who were writing the hate mail were actually friends of his just sitting around joking they wouldn’t think twice about what he said.

3. I enjoy AI...Don't watch if you don't. Says:
    March 31st, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Chris isn’t funny, he’s a smart*ss who thought he was all that and then some. If he was so great how come he didn’t have a record deal and had to go on a tv show he loathes? These contestants are ingrates. Taylor Hicks, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia and Clay would be waiting tables right now if not for the show. Only Kelly Clarkson and Carrie have enough talent to make it without AI.

4. Anonymous Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 6:19 pm

good lesson chris

5. Anonymous Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 6:20 pm

good lesson chris

6. Ben Jensen Says:
    April 1st, 2007 at 7:19 pm

To “Lakisha Jones official fan site” try reading the article and see what he actually says before opening your mouth. He says he’s very greatfull. Quote: “I don’t know. I would hope that people would realize that me joking around about the show is very, very tongue and cheek because if I’m joking around about the show, it’s something that I’m in, and taking part of and I can’t be too upset with American Idol if they’re making me famous.”

Your IQ amazes me ;)

7. Sher Says:
    April 2nd, 2007 at 3:31 pm

No one who auditions for American Idol has had any true prior luck in the music biz, which is why they’re trying out in the first place. Kelly and Carrie needed AI every bit as much as Taylor, Fantasia, Clay, and Jennifer. Their post-AI success has nothing to do with it. Think before you type.

Comments