American Idol Finalist Gina Glocksen Defends Sanjaya Malakar

April 08, 2007 08:07 AM by Joe Blackmon

Recently eliminated American Idol finalists are quickly discovering
that the media is often more interested in hearing their thoughts and
opinions on Sanjaya Malakar than hearing about the finalist’s own experiences
on the show. In a recent media conference call, Gina Glocksen faced
several questions about Sanjaya, and she defended her fellow finalist,
who she also called her friend.

When asked if it was tough to see that Sanjaya placed higher than all of them in the bottom three, Gina Glocksen said "It’s funny that everyone is asking is it tough that Sanjaya did, I mean it’s tough that all the other eight people did. It’s not just Sanjaya." Glocksen also added "He’s just different. It’s not that he’s better or worse. He’s Sanjaya and Jordin is Jordin and Chris is Chris and Blake is Blake; America, I guess, was through with me, and that’s fine. I’m fine with it. I’m going to tour."

When asked what she thought about Sanjaya hanging in there every week, Gina Glocksen said "I’m proud of him. He’s hanging in there and he’s not letting it get to him. He still comes out on stage every week and he gives his all."

When asked if the finalists had heard the press going on about Sanjaya outside the show or if the were sheltered from it, Glocksen said "We were pretty much sheltered from it. American Idol is really good at keeping up away from the things that are being said about us, just so it doesn’t affect our performances and affect us and our emotions throughout the week." Gina also added "Things are going to be told about you on the Internet, and it’s to our own caution that we don’t read it. And he doesn’t read it, I try not to, other people don’t; we just try to stay away from it."

When asked the more innocent question of if Sanjaya ever came to her for hairstyling tips, Gina Glocksen said "Oh, no. No. It’s funny; it’s like a competition–who has better hair, and we’re going to have a hair-off." In regards to where his faux-hawk ranked against some of the other haircuts, Glocksen said "I think it’s number one; I think it was awesome." Glocksen also added "It just set him apart from everyone else. It was crazy."

When asked if there were any grumblings or bad feelings about Sanjaya in the group of finalists, Gina Glocksen said "Not that I’ve heard. People are pretty fair about what they say in front of people. I’m friends with Sanjaya, so they know that if they’re going to bad mouth him, not to do it in front of me."

When asked what Sanjaya was really like, Gina Glocksen said "He’s exactly what you see on TV. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks. He does his thing and he’s proud of himself. I love that; self-confidence is a great trait to have."

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American Idol
or SirLinksALot:
Gina Glocksen

Topics: American Idol |

17 Responses to “American Idol Finalist Gina Glocksen Defends Sanjaya Malakar”

1. Jewels R Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 8:28 am

Glad to hear Gina’s handling this buzz well. On one hand it must be challenging to have interviewers focus on someone else in the competition when it should be ‘your’ moment to be the focus. She seems to be a nice gal.

2. Julia K. Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 10:12 am

Go Gina! I’m so glad someone is finally putting up for him! i agree with everything you say, and i believe in him!

3. Anonymous Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 11:20 am

That is really nice of Gina. If I was on idol and was knowing that people were being mean to one of the contestants I would do the same that Gina did. That is really nice and I feel bad for Sanjaya.

4. Sally Knight Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 12:16 pm

Gina is a terrific singer AND a class act. Bless her heart.

5. Angel Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I am so proud of her! Gina is handling these interviews with such class! You are the best! Go GG!!!

6. j Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Gina handles everything as a class act. It’s too bad that some of the immature people attack Sanjaya in the news media as much as they do. AT least this article debunks some things which is great. As for Gina’s interview focusing a lot around Sanjaya, I think it’s the fault of immature people that cause all of the hype, lies etc. They are also the people that will not change their minds either. They want to believe what they want to believe. But the root of the cause is the vote for worst site trying to get people stirred up over nothing. Ever see a troll doing the same thing? Think of v4tw as giant trolls. And they are not even effective considering their targets usually go home. Then when one stays in, they claim victory.. Lame.

7. Brandy Merrihew Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 1:37 pm

I’m sorry, Sanjaya maybe funny but this is a singing contest and he can’t sing. My husband & I are huge fans of Gina, since she has been voted off (along with others that sing better than Sanjaya) we have decided that it is setup & no longer watch the show. Same thing happened last year with Taylor Hicks & Chris Daughtery. I hope that Gina does go on tour. I think she should have stayed.

8. Anonymous Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Again, it isn’t Sanjaya’s fault. If people didn’t vote for him, he would be gone already. If the judges hadn’t put him through the top 20, he wouldn’t be here. Therefore, it is peoples’ fault and the producers’ fault. If you think about it, it is also YOUR fault for not voting even more for your favorite knowing Sanjaya gets tons of votes.

9. DEBBIE F Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

If the voting were changed to vote off the person you least liked instead of who you most liked, we would’nt be having so much conflict over who was staying and who was leaving. I totally agree, Gina should have stayed.

10. Anonymous Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 3:21 pm

No, if we voted people off instead of voting for them to remain, we’d lose a lot of really talented, polarizing people. Lakisha would probably be gone by now. Last year Taylor would have been gone early. Other excellent contestants that would have been ruined by a “voting off” strategy – Clay Aiken, Fantasia, possibly Bo Bice.

If this show becomes a contest to avoid being hated, rather than a contest to be loved, we will never have genuinely beloved winners again.

What they should do instead is allow only five votes per line.

11. C Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Didn’t

really

GINA

until

NOW!

Class act, dear.

12. mary Says:
    April 9th, 2007 at 3:52 am

I still don’t like her..&by ‘her’ i mean her ‘voice/stage performance’..

& not that shes bad. Simply not good enough.

13. sandi digangi Says:
    April 9th, 2007 at 10:40 am

we were all very shocked and sad to see gina leave….come on america quit giving sanjaya all kinds of attention…people are seeing all this and voting for him out of pity…quit talking about him and you will see how fast he is voted of….ms doolittle is far from an idol..she always looks so confused and you have to repeat things several times in order for her to understand…she looks very lost…go blake go..will see ya in the finals blake….your awsome…………

14. MArtha Says:
    April 9th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Gina you are a classy, God Bless you, i supported you from the beginning, I know you will show how great you are!
    Gina with an Angel voice!!!

15. keith Says:
    April 10th, 2007 at 6:20 am

Well he couldn’t sing at first and he still can’t sing now……. He’s just really cute with a million dollar SMILE

16. Rich Says:
    April 10th, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Sanjaya was incredible tonight. I voted 200 times!!! Go Sanjaya!

17. Amanda Says: