Does American Idol 6 Have A Not So Great Cast?

April 16, 2007 07:00 PM by Joe Blackmon

Even though American Idol continues to get ratings that most TV shows
would kill for, the once indestructible force has started to show signs
of weakness in the ratings.  Recent reports show American Idol is
having some of its lowest ratings in years.

A couple weeks ago American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe attempted to downplay that the problem was the talent level on the show.  Lythgoe said “Listen, I would just like to watch all the other networks thinking God, we’d love our ratings to go down as badly as that.  Even if we lost 50% of our audience we’d still be in the top three programs in the country, so I’m not really that worried and everyone keeps telling me it is a great deal to do with the daylight savings and also it affects the programs with the most ratings the highest, obviously.”

However, Lythgoe also went on to add “But to be honest about it, people are saying this is not our greatest year for talent; I don’t necessarily agree with them.  I think we’ve got five or six of probably the best singers we’ve ever had on American Idol.  But if it is a bad year for talent and we’ll find out I think over the next few weeks, then we do always watch a ratings drop of between 3% and 4% in that area.”

One of the people now professing that the talent level is not that great this year is none other than outspoken American Idol judge Simon Cowell.  Entertainment Weekly quotes Simon Cowell as saying ”We’re doing as well as we are doing with not a great cast at the moment, to be honest with you.  They’re not the best bunch of kids we’ve ever had.”

Simon Cowell also suggested that this year’s finalists might not be trying as hard because they think they will have careers just for making the top ten, which does make sense considering so many of the finalists last year wound up with records deals.  Cowell is quoted as saying “”I think that we suffer from Jennifer Hudson- and Chris Daughtry-itis, which is people who didn’t win getting great careers and now a lot of the contestants believing it absolutely doesn’t matter.”

If this is the case and this year’s finalists are not trying as hard, then they might find themselves in for a rude awakening.  American Idol 5 was the first year where the majority of finalists wound up with deals with major record labels, and the reason was because the overall talent level was very high.  No one from this season should assume that they are going to get voted out of the competition in fourth place and then become the next Chris Daughtry unless they have the talent level of Chris Daughtry.  In fact, American Idol 6 could very well be a season where only the winner winds up with a major recording contract.

So is the talent level a problem on this year’s American Idol?  Way back in mid-March, Reality TV Magazine raised the talent level issue in an article entitled “Should American Idol Be Fixed?“  The last two years of American Idol spoiled many viewers by presenting a very diverse and talented cast.  While American Idol 6 has some very talented individual singers, the overall talent level definitely seems to be down this year and that probably has more to do with the ratings decline than daylight savings time.

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Topics: American Idol |

17 Responses to “Does American Idol 6 Have A Not So Great Cast?”

1. carol Says:
    April 16th, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Season 2 was magical and I think a lot of people got hooked then and expected to see a Clay Aiken every year. Not realizing that someone like Clay sets a standard that can’t be matched. However, even with mediocre talent from the past few years, they can try different things. And of course, a guest appearance by Clay (and maybe Clay & Ruben together again) would be fabulous. Look what Clay did at last year’s finale–stole the show!

2. Reez Says:
    April 16th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Well i think Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry had worked very hard in the competition before..

while Chris was his fave, J-Hud was not so..and its such a pain in the a** for Cowell to admit that she has grown to something bigger than the Idol itself..

what do u expect Cowell??

U constantly made fun of J-Hud and while she was cool and making more headlines nowadays…ur the one who annoyingly slammed her over and over again

Grow up and just admit it, J-Hud is a true dream comes true…and its a mistake that she wasnt the winner

3. Donna Lane Says:
    April 16th, 2007 at 10:50 pm

CLAY AIKEN?!?!?!? The only standard I’ve heard Clay is setting is for how many hours one can spend sleazing for cheap gay sex on the internet with a webcam!!! DISGUSTING. He has stained this competition with his name! And his album was a FLOP!! It BOMBED!! He makes me SICK!!

This year everyone pretty much STINKS!!! We’ve had alot of fat ugly pigs trying to sing and women dressing like diseased whores on stage! It’s an outrage!!! Get back to morality, America!!

4. moon Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 3:22 am

So, according to Donna we should get back the morality.. Maybe she might recommend putting the lesser contestants in a gas chamber? Where do these weird people come from? It boggles the mind. One correction, Clay was one of the biggest sellers on the show next to Carrie and Kelly and perhaps Chris. The ignorance is mighty abundant with this person.

5. cobbi Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 4:28 am

If you’re looking for talent for this AI season, there are a lot of them. But if we are talking of complete package, only two emerge, that’s Jordin and Blake. Others may have great vocal skills but no star quality at all. And there’s one who for I don’t know why, still there with no star or vocal talent at all. He’d better singing in a choir so that we can’t hear his weak voice. Or may be he can be in a toothpaste commercial wherein his smile would be great without showing the whole face (got it!) Blame the stylists of the show, I think the contestants are just following them because they’re the experts.

6. cobbi Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 4:35 am

By the way, just my opinion, Miss Hudson should win the best performer for her role in “Dreamgirls” and not best supporting actress. How could Dame Judi Dench lost? We should not be mistaken with good singing with good acting.

7. Anonymous Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 4:44 am

I think there is audience burnout. We endured three weeks of horrible auditions and were robbed of the Hollywood week auditions where we get introduced to the idols. Since we didn’t get our initial introduction it was expected that the show was holding back on some outstanding talent. Some of us were initially were blown away by some of the contestants but those that were great remained great, there was no movement, thus they became boring. We like to see the vulnerability and missteps of our idols. We love to talk about the less than perfectness of our idols. The lack of back-stories has caused a major disconnect with the idols.

Secondly, we’ve been bombarded with established artist barking their newest cd to us. If I want to see Gwen, I know where to find her. The videos of this season have been focused of the do-good stuff of the judges and more established artist and their do-good stuff. . Although a good cause, this is not why I tune into this show I want to see the idols not Jenn, Akon, or anyone else.

Lastly, the themes are boring. Diana Ross, Tony Bennett, Groups who inspired Gwen. Please!!! The reason Carrie and Chris have done so well is because they are recording and performing the types of songs they performed on the show. Nobody is going to leave this show and sing Tony Bennett songs.

8. cobbi Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 5:13 am

Yes, most of the themes are boring and weak that’s why I didn’t watch most of them. I’ve seen the first 3 episodes of the top 24 then I stopped watching them. Themes are okay but do not ask the contestants to sing the songs of the one mentoring them. There are millions of great songs out there. And please, AI hire a vocal coach to help the contestants to choose a good song for them.

9. Alex Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 10:34 am

Agreed. My interest in this show has waned to the point where I just DL the performance and result shows and watch them whenever I have time. Last year, I freaked out each week making sure I was at home watching the show live.
    I hope next season will be a lot better. But I’m thinking the talent is being recycled now.

10. Jade Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

I think that by far the best 2 seasons of Idol were Season 4 and 5. The 1st season comes in 3rd for me for best season. I think the most boring season by far and season with the least amount of talented contestants is hands down Season 6. Season 2 was so-so and season 3 was on the bland, slightly dull and non-wow side for me.

I do think some the contestants this season think that they will sell tons of records even if they don’t win this season cuz of so many contestants from last year scoring major label deals for example chris daughtry who has gone onto sell close to 3 millions copies of his CD already and he only placed 4th on the show. Personally I think Chris should of been in the final 3 with Taylor and Elliot. Katharine was okay but was always more looks than talent for me. Just look at the record sales for Chris, Elliot, Taylor and Katharine and you will see who should of won and who should of came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th last year.

As for this season who do I think should win and who should be in the final 3. I think Blake, Jordin and Melinda should be our Final 3 w/ Blake winning. I think he is one of the most unique contestants this show has this season and all previous seasons. Not to say he is the most original or unique singer in the music business cuz he is not but as far as idol contestants he probably is. I used to think Lakisha be in the final 3 but once she hit the top 12 she lost that fire, power and “It” or “X” factor she had in the top 24. So yes I agree with the critics, the article and some idol fans when they say this is the season with the fewest talented contestants and the most boring season. There is only 4 stand outs this season and contestants who have the most talent and who will most likely be the final 4 and that is Blake Lewis, Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks and Lakisha Jones. And if you can’t tell by my comments already my pick for season 6 winner is Blake Lewis.

11. LIZ RELWOF Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

WE HAVE HAD IT . IF SANJAYA IS NOT KICKED OFF THIS WEEK WE WILL NOT BE WATCHING ANYMORE. ALSO ITS CALLED AMERICAN IDOL NOT LATINO IDOL. CUT THE SPANISH CRAP. GET IT, AMERICAN IDOL!!!ALSO THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO SING, HELLO, SANJAYA CANT CARRY A TUNE IN A BUCKET AND WE CANT STAND LOOKING AT HIM.

12. LIZ RELWOF Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 6:56 pm

13. idolfan Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Season 5′s 12th place finisher, Melissa McGhee, would easily place in the top 6 this season….that’s how much last season was!

14. wee cass Says:
    April 17th, 2007 at 11:55 pm

I have to say… I said it while Sanjaya was auditioning, all the little 13 year old girls are gonna love him! And they do and he’s still here! It’s not fair! My bottom picks for Weds. night are Lakitia, Phil and Chris and it will be a shame if ANY of those 3 go! You all know who won’t be in the bottem 3… I’ve been a band promoter for 20 some odd years…an excelent ear! Wow I don’t get it! I almost don’t want to watch, but I will.

15. brianne Says:
    April 18th, 2007 at 12:24 am

I guess the problem is just that we’ve had such great performers/performances in the past and they’ve set the bar so high that no one else can reach it. I mean, remember Clay Aiken doing “Solitaire”, Fantasia doing “Summertime”, Constantine Maroulis’ “astonishing” (as said by SIMON COWELL) performance of “Bohemian Rhapsody” (the best Idol performance to date, in my opinion)? Plus, Kelly, Carrie, Chris, Jennifer, etc. are all these huge stars now, so their successors have to be at least as good as–if not better–than all of them for anyone to even really notice anymore, but that’s just easier said than done considering what they’re up against. I do believe Melinda deserves to be up in that ranking, though. Maybe Jordin too. And Blake and LaKisha could, with a little work. But mostly this season just comes off as Open Mic Night at the local Karaoke bar, compared to past seasons. I just hope next year is better…

16. brianne Says:
    April 18th, 2007 at 12:29 am

But,oh well, on the bright side, at least i can save my money on concert tickets this year. I saw the Season 5 contestants live in Cleveland last summer and it rocked, especially Chris Daughtry (who i really went to see). But this year,I think I’ll pass. I’ll still buy their CDs though, when they go on sale…

17. idleidolfan Says:
    April 18th, 2007 at 12:58 am

This season is boring. There isn’t anyone who looks like they are out to have a blast. Melinda has a good voice but looks scared half the time. Lakisha has fizzled, looking stressed and soo afraid of getting bad critque. Jordan is bubbly, like Kathleen, but without the looks, and also no X factor. Blake is cool but needs better pipes. Missed his beatbox. That was part of his charm and he seemdd to have abandoned it. I say bring it back. Chris is too cool to the point of being detached, plus he has an identitiy crisis. That’s my take on the top 5. It does not augur well at all.

Comments