Sanjaya Malakar & Donny Osmond Appear Together On The Tonight Show

April 20, 2007 12:07 AM by Joe Blackmon

Sanaya_donnieosmondRecently eliminated American Idol finalist Sanjaya Malakar appeared on the Thursday night
edition of the Tonight Show.  Jay Leno called Sanjaya out from
backstage during his opening monologue.  Leno said “Now, Sanjaya is a
real American Idol contestant, not yet a major pop idol, so to help
tell his story we hired a real major teen pop idol, Donny Osmond.”

Leno then proceeded to ask Sanjaya questions, and Donny Osmond interpreted Sanjaya’s answers in song.  When asked what people found so fascinating about him, Sanjaya said maybe it was because he was young and liked to have fun, and Donny Osmond sang "give me a head with hair."  When asked about the young girl crying about him, Sanjaya said he had lots of young fans and he was happy they liked his singing, and Donny Osmond sang “and they called it puppy love.”  When asked about the last thing that he said to Ryan Seacrest, Sanjaya said he appreciated his support, and Donny Osmond sang “go away, little girl.”

Later, Sanjaya Malakar returned to appear as a guest on the show.  When Leno asked if Sanjaya was surprised to get voted off the show, Sanjaya said “When I saw the show on Tuesday, I kind of thought I was going home.”  Sanjaya added “I’m not a country singer.  I’ve never been a country singer, but I mean I had fun, and that’s all that really matters.”

Jack Black, who was also a guest on the show, told Sanjaya “I didn’t vote, but if I had voted I would absolutely have voted for you.  I always voted for the chubby dude, and then it was you.  It was chubby dude, and then you, and a couple others I’m not going to say.”

When Leno asked what it was like seeing people doing jokes about him on TV, Sanjaya said “It’s crazy.  I watch it, and it’s weird, because I mean I’m just a kid from Seattle.  I’m not a celebrity, but people know me.”  When Leno asked about the Fanjayas, Sanjaya said “Fanjayas who have been Sanjayad.”  When asked what Sanjayad meant, Sanjaya said “I guess it’s a verb.  I didn’t know that nouns could become verbs.”  When Leno said he didn’t know how it worked, Sanjaya responded, “You can go on ebay and buy a Sanjanari or something.  A Sanjanari, a dictionary of Sanjaya terms.”

Leno also quizzed Sanjaya on his famous hairstyles.  In regards to the ponyhawk, Sanjaya said “I wanted to do a Mohawk, but I can’t pull off a real Mohawk, because that’s just not me, so I went to Dean the hair guy, and he was like ‘hey why don’t we put some ponytails in your head in the shape of a Mohawk’, and I was like ‘ok, that’s cool, I guess.’”  In regards to the hair pulled back with a red bandanna, Sanjaya said “That’s my version of country.”

When Leno asked Sanjaya about the crying girl, Sanjaya said “I did my thing, and then all of a sudden she was crying for the whole rehearsal and the show for like five hours straight.  I didn’t even know that people had enough water in them to cry that long.”

When Lena asked Sanjaya if he voted for himself, Sanjaya said “I didn’t want to vote for myself, because I figured if I had to vote for myself to stay in, then I didn’t deserve to be there.”  Leno then joked “No, you see you’re an honorable person, and you want to be in show business, those two don’t mix.  You’ve got to be a weasel and put your thing on speed dial so you’re calling yourself every four seconds.”

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American Idol
or SirLinksALot:
Sanjaya Malakar

Topics: American Idol |

19 Responses to “Sanjaya Malakar & Donny Osmond Appear Together On The Tonight Show”

1. Sanjana Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:11 am

Sanjaya Sanjaya Sanjaya…a true american idol.he was such a great entertainer with all his new creative hair styles each week,it was always something to look forward to every week,and of course,his undeniably swet voice.im gonna miss him so much on this show now…x.x.x

ILoveYouSanjaya

2. Sanjana Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:13 am

and even though he didn’t win and was eliminated…he still has everything it takes to be an american idol…i hope for the best for him…
    ilove you sanjaya…so much!

3. Rhonda Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:36 am

Great, non-snarky article on our papaya, Sanjaya. I love this kid!
    Please, please help us keep up with Sanjaya.
    I am so hoping he will release a CD as soon as possible with both Bathwater and Besame Mucho.
    No matter who wins he is the REAL superstar/idol of this season.
    I could care less about the other boring fare on the show now.
    Sanjaya–you are our hero, dude, for hanging tough and staying true to yourself in the face of adversity.
    Slimon, shame on you for your unforgivable lambasting of a 17 year old kid who obviously looks up to you!

4. Anonymous Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 4:53 am

DAMNIT I missed this!! I hope it pops up somewhere online like youtube. I LOVE Donny Osmond and well, I guess maybe that explains why I also love Sanjaya!!

5. C Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 7:32 am

Have fun Sanjaya!

You made AI this year! If you (when you) release an album … I’ll buy it.

6. JewelsR Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 8:41 am

Thank you for a non-bashing article on Sanjaya, I love this kid. The show will not be the same without him, Slimon made a big mistake kicking our boy off. Sanjaya WAS the show this season, the rest are a bunch of unoriginal hacks. Sure a few can sing but none have the chutspah of Sanjaya.

7. vicki rigsby Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for an unbiased,unbashing report.It gives respect to those of us that really ,really,liked his voice as well as him.He is the only one with real role model potential.Sanjaya,as Martina said”Sing It Anyway” and I will buy.Good luck,and God bless

8. Tyler Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

SANJAYA ROCKS!!! dude keep up ur thing. us teen boys that get talked about cuz of our hair gotta stick together! i wish u SOOO much luck in music. i really hope u get 2 meet Stevie Wonder too since he wuz the one who inspired u to try out and give us all hope this year that someone unique and with an AMAZING voice could win this year. i will totally put u on my iPod when ur CD comes out dude!

9. Gina from Texas Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

I also like Sanjaya. I will buy his CDs. The media made it look like no one liked him, and that made me angry. Just because he didn’t sound like Justin Timberlake or Tina Turner doesn’t mean he isn’t good. He doesn’t sound like anybody. That’s why we like him. He’s different…unique. I hated to see him go from American Idol, but that just means he can start his professional career singing, because he DOES have fans, and WE WILL buy his music.

10. D Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 7:12 pm

You can see the fun Donny/Sanjaya segment on Leno at this link!

11. Kris Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

SANJAYA… SANJAYA… SANJAYA!!!
    You are already a STAR buddy… Hope to see you on the Idol tour and definitely buy a CD when you have one.

In the meantime, like you said stay true to yourself and keepup the warm spirits you are blessed with.

Good luck..

12. Kris Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 7:28 pm

SANJAYA… SANJAYA… SANJAYA!!!
    You are already a STAR buddy… Hope to see you on the Idol tour and will definitely buy a CD when you have one.

In the meantime, as you said stay true to yourself and keep up the warm spirits that you are blessed with.

Good luck…

13. cobbi Says:
    April 20th, 2007 at 10:14 pm

How could a person just born in America with the looks and blood of an Indian would be considered an American idol? I think he’s just “A Flash In The Pan”. People are taking advantage of him but surely some of the “fans” will come to their senses and realize that he’s not worth to be called an American idol.

14. Manny Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 12:03 am

Way to go Sanjaya!

The haters out there feel like you are crashing their pvt party of sorts!. They are idjiats!

You are an awesome person Sanjaya M alakar. I hear Britney wants to do an album with you.I hope you take up on that offer. It would do you both good.

God Bless!

15. Nimi Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 2:44 am

Sanjaya was a total entertainer on American Idol. He always had a smile no matter what the judges said or the hatred from some viewers. I will miss him on the show. Way to go Sanjaya… hope to see your CD soon. I will buy it….

16. chokhv Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 9:55 am

THANK GOD SANJAYA IS ELIMINATED BUT I THINK HE WILL BE A STAR SOMEDAY…LIKE WILLIAM HUNG

17. Anonymous Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 4:00 pm

That was funny. I LOVE SANJAYA!!!!

18. Mystrye Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 8:40 pm

I have no doubt that Sanjaya will make it very very big as a singer and entertainer. I was voting for him. Sanjaya, don’t ever give up. One day I know I will be buying your albums. Don’t pay any attention to the haters. They just don’t see what the rest of us see in you. You are wonderful. I know for one, there is no reason for me to watch American Idol for the rest of the season. The only person I was interested in watching is no longer there.

19. Ted Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 10:55 am

cobbi–you are a jerk. What difference does it make what race he is? You’re saying that only Caucasians or Blacks can be an American Idol? Fortunately, you have very little say. America is made up of all races and creeds so a future American Idol could be an Asian or a Hispanic. Grow up.

Comments