White House Correspondents Dinner – Sanjaya Malakar Gets Political

April 21, 2007 01:47 PM by Joe Blackmon

No, recently eliminated American Idol finalist Sanjaya Malakar has not announced his candidacy for the Oval
Office.  He’s about eighteen years too young to qualify even if he was
interested.  However, Sanjaya has been invited to the White House
Correspondents Dinner, which airs Saturday, April 21 starting at 9:45
ET on C-SPAN.

Sanjaya Malakar will be a guest of People Magazine at the Saturday night event at the Washington Hilton.  Sanjaya won’t be the only reality TV star in attendance, as another of People Magazine’s guests is Tim Gunn from Bravo’s Project Runway.

This is not the first brush with politics that Sanjaya’s new found fame has brought him.  Around a week ago, Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton was asked what could be done about American Idol finalist Sanjaya Malakar during a radio call-in.  Clinton said “That’s the best question I’ve been asked in a long time. Well, you know, people can vote for whomever they want. That’s true in my election, and it’s true on American Idol.”

When asked about Hillary Clinton’s comments and how he felt about becoming part of the Presidential debate during a recent press call, Sanjaya said “I heard about that very briefly.  It’s really interesting because, like I said, I had no idea really how much impact this show had.  I think it’s really interesting that someone like me, a 17-year-old Seattle boy, could have so much impact as to get into the Presidential debate.”

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for
American Idol news.  For
other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American Idol
or SirLinksALot:
Sanjaya Malakar

Topics: American Idol |

8 Responses to “White House Correspondents Dinner – Sanjaya Malakar Gets Political”

1. fj Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 4:18 pm

WHY AMERICA HATES SANJAYA?

To find out, go to http://funjaya.blogspot.com

2. Jana Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Be sure to tune in earlier, 8 PM ET, 7 Central….That’s when they do the red carpet entrance of all the guests. That’s more fun than the dinner show itself…LOL

3. Helen Says:
    April 21st, 2007 at 10:37 pm

I just saw Sanjaya on television at the White House dinner. He looked so handsome in his tuxedo. I think he’s such a wonderful role model for children. He’s very sweet, kind-hearted, optimistic and genuine. He’s handled this entire media hysteria with so much humor and class. I’m so impressed by this 17-yr-old kid. I just want to give him a big hug.

My daughters are so excited about seeing him on the Idol tour. They can’t wait. We’re looking forward to seeing what he does next.

4. Sanjaya Suck Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 6:05 am

Hehehe to Mr. Funjaya and his blog I will give you a better answer that what you wrote in your blog. America Hates Sanjaya because he did not deserve what he was getting. American Idol is a singing contest not a model contest for preteen and teen girls. Sanjaya sucked compared to the other singers. He did not deserve to be there. But because alot of love sick teenagers, people who felt sorry for him, Vote for the worse morons, and idiots who voted for him just to get a good laugh or just to get a good laugh kept voting for him, he got further than some people who did not deserve to get voted out. People hate him because he did not respect what american idol was. Which was a singing contest, Not a joke contest that he tried to make it into.

As for him being invited to meet the president. Good for him. I do believe he deserves that.

5. Rambeau Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 11:53 am

My thoughts exactly, Helen.

Why the haters keep following news about him is beyond me. Whatever their dark secrets, his overwhelming charm, charisma, & class simply blows them away.

Sanjaya, you’re born with the one thing that cannot be taught – star appeal. Everything else can be learned. Go to music school if that’s your dream, & you’ll be an even bigger star one day.

6. Ted Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 11:11 am

To the rabid poster above–you are wrong. American Idol has never been just a “singing competition.” That would make it just another StarSearch which is not nearly as good. It is a search a performance artist. And part of that equation is the charisma and audience appeal. Although he was one of the worst singers in the original 24 semifinalists, he had a loss of mass appeal and stage charisma. I would bet that he’ll sell more albums and concert tickets than most of those who got voted off before him, even if they were better singers. That’s not to say they won’t have careers, just that he has star appeal. I didn’t like him as a performer, myself, but I cannot deny that he has a large and vocal following who will buy his music and go to his concerts. And that is part of what the AI machine is about. Creating performers.

If you don’t believe this, then go out and look for some of the “real American Idol auditions” and find out what happened to a lot of very good singers who never even made it in to see the three judges from the early auditions. Of the 7-10K auditionees per city in the first round, the judges probably only see about 600-800 and those are prevetted by the production staff. And sometimes some of the best singers don’t even make it past the production staff. They are looking for more than just good singers, they are looking for performers and audience draws.

7. Jaye Says:
    April 24th, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Sanjaya,awesome!!!For someone who is shy,thankyou for trying!!!:)If we don’t try how do you know your limitations and how do you break your boundries!Keep achieving:)

8. FanjayaMon Says:
    April 27th, 2007 at 9:49 am

Sanjaya is the best thing that has happened to America in a long time. We need a Super Star. And Sanjaya is it. Go Sanjaya , You absolutley Rock!

Comments