Sanjaya Malakar Is An American Idol

April 22, 2007 08:30 AM by Joe Blackmon

Sanjaya_farewellsongWhether one is a fan of Sanjaya Malakar’s singing or not, one certainly
has to admire the way that this seventeen year old singer has handled
the media spotlight with poise and wisdom far beyond his years.
Considering everything that was being said about him, Sanjaya could
easily have buckled under the pressure, and no one would probably have
blamed him.

In a recent conference call with media, Sanjaya was asked if it was hard to deal with all the harsh criticism and negative buzz.  Sanjaya said “It was a little hard but I try to make everything into a positive or try to learn from it.  If it’s not possible, if it’s that negative, then I just let it slip off my back like a duck with water, because I know that if I don’t then it will drive me crazy and I’ll get overwhelmed.”

When asked what he had learned from being stressed into fame, Sanjaya said “I think I’ve learned not to let any negativity get you because – I mean just to keep on trucking I guess, and just try to find the positive in everything.”

When asked if he was more confident or less confident about his singing ability after Idol, Sanjaya said “I feel like I’ve grown.  Though, I’m more confident because I have had this experience and was able to do this every week.  Practice makes perfect, so I’m just ready to go out there and do it some more.”

When asked if all the criticism from the judges and from some fans ever made him think that he wasn’t as good as the other contestants, Sanjaya said “I think that every contestant has something going for them.  I didn’t really think of it that way.  Like I didn’t think about whether someone was better than the other, because everyone is here for a reason.  Everyone is here because they deserve to be here.”

When asked if he ever considered quitting or dropping out, Sanjaya said “Not at all, not at all.  I was going stay as long as I possibly could and just work every week.  Try to learn from everything that happened.”

When asked if he allowed himself to dream that he could actually win, Sanjaya said “Well, we all – every one of us wants to win.  I was more focused on the learning aspect of this, because I did get my GED after my sophomore year.  I basically saw this as my junior and senior year of high school, because this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.  This is my way of learning it in a very quick time.  I got a lot further than I ever expected to and I’m happy with every moment of it.”

Even though Sanjaya was often the victim of stinging criticism from American Idol judge Simon Cowell, Sanjaya holds no hard feelings.  When asked what he would like to say to Simon Cowell, Sanjaya said “Well, from the beginning I think that Simon saw potential in me.  When I didn’t fulfill that potential, he was kind of disappointed.  So I just want to say to him that he is an amazing person and what he does is awesome.  Like he’s very opinionated, but I learned more from him than from anyone else while I was on the show.”

When asked about how he seemed more enthusiastic as the competition went on, Sanjaya said “I think that throughout the competition I grew as a performer and as a person, because I did have a lot of things to learn from.  I think that I kind of found myself as I progressed.  So I don’t know a specific time when it happened, but I do definitely think that I found myself and I got more comfortable in my own skin.”

When asked what he thought about the support he received from VoteForTheWorst.com, Sanjaya said “I mean that’s fine.  I don’t think that VoteForTheWorst.com or Howard Stern really had enough people voting for me enough times to make a dent in anything.  So I think that the reason why I’m here is solely because of my support from my fans.”

When asked if there was anything he heard about himself that made him laugh, Sanjaya said “When Saturday Night Live did that skit on me and they said, ‘I don’t know if he’s scared or happy,’ that was hilarious.  I had to laugh on that one.  Because I love to poke fun at myself because if you can’t do that then I don’t know what’s going to happen in your life.  I think it’s really important to be able to make fun of yourself and just have fun.”

While Sanjaya Malakar might not have won American Idol, the way in which he is able to not take things too seriously, laugh at himself, and keep on giving his best makes him an American idol.

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol
or SirLinksALot: Sanjaya
Malakar

Topics: American Idol |

34 Responses to “Sanjaya Malakar Is An American Idol”

1. Jewels Richardson Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 9:00 am

Sanjaya continues to let the public gain insight into the heart and soul he possesses. This is one great kid, I hope this experience will take him far. I’ll certainly always be in his corner. Nice article.

2. Songswain Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 9:23 am

He has a wholesome personality and a very keen intelligent mind that attracts people. Way to go Sanjaya! Success is sure to come you way.

3. Jenna Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:08 am

IHe is by far my favorite AI cintestant ever. Such a great guy I wish himnothing but the best in life.

4. C Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:13 am

Sanjaya –

You have proven to be a wonderful person! .. You could teach so many people older than yourself so much.

5. fj Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:50 am

WHY AMERICA HATES SANJAYA?

To find out, go to: http://funjaya.blogspot.com

6. ML Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Why are you still writing about this embarrassment of a person?

7. M.K Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Sanjaya shows more class than the idiots who make Anti-Asians slurs or whine about the integrity of a FOX reality show.

8. Anonymous Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I bet the haters are biting their tongues right now. This is a great kid, regardless whether he can sing or not.

9. I love Sanjaya Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 3:59 pm

First thing I have to say is I have loved Sanjaya since I saw his audition and I am going to love this kid forever. I was so upset when he was voted off, but I kind of knew it was his turn. Sanjaya is a awesome singer and if I was him, I would not be able to ignore what the media was saying, so I am very happy, he was ignoring the media. Sanjaya is nice, kind, caring, sweet, funny, really cute and hot. I would never say anything mean about this kid. he has a good voice and he is a good entertainer. I really hope Sanjaya is really famous someday, like maybe have his own cd or act. Whatever he does, I will always be a fan of him. GO SANJAYA!!!!

10. idol fan Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Sanjaya definately kept his wits about him that’s for sure. Love him or Hate him he made an impact.

11. Matthew Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 4:47 pm

Sanjaya is a terrific kid. I’m proud of him for handling all the media pressure so well. I have a son his age and I can’t imagine dealing with all the hate. I’m really impressed with this kid. He’s a class act.

I agree that he is an American Idol. He’s an excellent young role model for staying positive and true. He never stopped smiling and he never allowed the bullies or haters to get to him. He stayed kind and good-humored.

He’s so young but he’s displayed much more maturity than the adults who write crap about him. The way he carries himself speaks volumes. And the same applies to his idiot haters.

I wish only the best in life for this fine young man.

12. Sanjaya Fan Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Snajaya’s not going anywhere. He’ll be like Clay Aiken and eventually people will just think he won since he’s around so much, even though he didn’t.

Plus, he won’t be trapped under the AI umbrella that some of the stars get caught in.

Speaking of which, check out this film. It’s a funny American Idol parody on iKlipz.com. Maybe it’s a good thing Sanjaya didn’t win, given the outcome of this film.

Here’s the link – http://www.iklipz.com/cashcow

Now the big question is who’s gonna win this year? My vote’s on Melinda Doolittle.

13. Fanjaya Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 5:11 pm

I think he’s wonderful!! I wish him lots of success.

14. Ronnie Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Sanjaya is a class act, and in my book he is the American Idol of the season.

Sanjaya I love your singing voice and I cannot wait to buy your CD.

Good luck Sanjaya, you are awesome.

15. Anonymous Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 8:02 pm

I think he should get a sitcom like Kellie Pickler. I think that he would do so much better because he is pretty much original and he doesn’t fake anything about himself.

16. MomOfTwo Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Sanjaya may not have the best voice this season but he’s a great kid. He is fun, able to laugh at himself, seems mature for his age and is passionate about his craft. With the right coaching, I feel he can have a successful singing career in the future. Good luck Sanjaya! God bless you!

17. Sanjaya Sucks Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Whoever said Sanjaya was an american idol must have been smoking something. He might have a little popularity now but soon it will fade away. And you will not hear about him anymore. He is a good person and has a good heart, but those things are not important when it comes to show business. He has 0 talent and can sing. That is why so he will not be heard of. He is no way like Clay Akin more like William Hung. Hehehehe William Hung and Sanjaya will have the same popularity.

18. Anonymous Says:
    April 22nd, 2007 at 10:36 pm

sanjaya is youth and wisdom spun into one!

19. MMM Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 12:02 am

Sanjaya was and is American Idol this year. From the buzz going around, it sounds like the producers jammed his telephone line so that he wouldn’t get the votes to continue on. But I’m sure Sanjaya will be around the entertainment business for a long time.

20. Anonymous Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 1:56 am

Correction: Sanjaya is not an American Idol because he’s Indian. Still, these so called “fans” of Sanjaya are daydreaming. Are you sure he’ll stay for long in this business? For whom? Sure, Hung still here but does he make a difference? I’m an Asian too, but I couldn’t understand why you American teens are very fond of him (anyway you’re just a minority of the American population and just very noisy!) Are we talking of real talent here? Get real and have a life rather than praising Sanjaya, which is not due him.

21. vatchara leyland Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 3:39 am

when sanjaya speaks he make me listen more than anyone else. he means well when he talks, good sanjaya. i definately will be his fan forever.

22. victoria leyland Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 3:41 am

V leyland from England

23. prasad durga Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 6:08 am

MMM is just a jealous Pakistani.cant stand indians hogging the limelight while his countrymen are blowing themselves up. as far as Sanjaya is concerened he will there for a long time whether you like it or not MMM. go get a life you misguided asian.

24. Anonymous Canadian Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 8:19 am

Great postive article. Sanjaya has been a pleasure to follow on TV and in the news. :-)

25. Claudia Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 9:06 am

For me, Sanjaya it’s the only interesting and original contestant this season. Love him or hate him, he is not indifferent. I can’t help to love his originality, his charm and also his ability to entertain and make interesting his performances.

Good luck Sanjaya!!! This season it was all about you!

26. Ted Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 11:21 am

To the anoymous poster who said Sanjaya wasn’t American. You are ignorant and wrong. Sanjaya is an Indian AMERICAN. As a native born American, he is as American as anyone else, white, black, Hispanic or Asian. Hey in 18 years, he would be eligible to run for President if he wanted to. He may be of Indian descent (and only half-Indian, he’s also half Italian American) but he is 100% American.

27. Karina Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 12:23 pm

I think sanjaya is an awesome person and I think that he has alot of talent.If you dont like sanjaya fine but do you really have to get that low and post it all over the internet, I mean come on now, we are all supposed to be mature.Everyone has a different opinion and not everyone has to like him but im sure hes going to have alot more popularity before he’s done and for mmm can anyone say racist?grow up darling and atleast put your name in.anyways i support sanjaya in everything he does =]

28. Karina Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 12:28 pm

alright so i just figured out that i put mmm instead of anonymous, so i apologize mmm i didnt know your name goes under it.

29. drago Says:
    April 24th, 2007 at 1:19 am

to the anonymous poster who says that Sanjaya is indian. CORRECTION – he is american born to a indian father.you hate him just becuase he is indian? whoever you are , you must be one disgruntled pakistani. sorry to MMM.i mistook you for that anonymous

30. jennifer Says:
    April 24th, 2007 at 1:37 am

I think America needs more kids like Sanjaya – decent, well-behaved kids. But no, they want kids like Cho, the killer. Long live masochism in America!

31. Jaye Says:
    April 24th, 2007 at 7:58 pm

You are a diamond in the rough!!Thank you for standing up and trying something when you are shy!!It takes a lot to stand up and be judged;and still smile!!Your Grandfather would be proud of you as well I’m sure your family!!Keep achieving!!!:)

32. christy Says:
    June 1st, 2007 at 12:10 pm

hey you people know that sanjaya is trying his best to become a singer sanjaya has a good heart. and if you stop calling him names maybe he will pop up on the internet. and he start talking to you guys in a good manner hopefully you people will be nice to him when he talks to you

33. www.lake-shore.co.uk Says: