May 05, 2007 12:12 AM by Joe Blackmon

Phil_stacey_navySome American Idol finalists really know how to make a classy exit, and
Phil Stacey is one of them.  As he sang his farewell song, Stacey took
time to shake hands with the judges and join his Navy buddies and wife
out in the audience.  Phil Stacey’s last three performances were also
his best three performances of the competition, and if he had started
singing like that a little earlier in the competition, he very well
could have made the final four.

Even though Phil Stacey would very much like to participate in the American Idol tour, he made it very clear in a recent conference call with media that his commitment to the Navy takes precedence.  Stacey’s enlistment in the Navy isn’t up until October of 2008.

In a recent conference call with media, Stacey explained “I’m a singer for the Navy, and a lot of what I do is going to high schools and everything.  There’s been a little bit of concern expressed for the security at those concerts at this point.  It depends on how capable I am at completing my task.  We’ll see how it works out.  I’d love to be able to continue to do that.”

When asked how his Navy job might affect his ability to go on the American Idol tour, Stacey said “My primary responsibility is to the United States Navy.  The possibility exists that they’ll need me for a mission.  If that’s the case, I’m committed to following through with my commitment to the Navy.  So far I can say that they’ve been 100% flexible with me with American Idol, and they’ve been gems and a huge support base for me.  I give the Navy all of the props in the world just even for letting me do what I’ve done to this point.”

When asked how hard it would be for him if the Navy didn’t let him go on tour, Stacey said “The last time that I spoke with my commanding officer, things looked very promising for me to be able to go on the tour, so I’m not really worried about it at this point.  But I will say that it will break my heart to not be able to go on the tour.  But at the same time, I’ve got a duty, and what’s important is that I fulfill my responsibility to the Navy first and foremost.”

When asked what he would like to sing on the tour, Stacey said “I think if I get the opportunity to do the tour, I’d really like to do something – the Idol Gives Back thing has really changed my life.  I think that one thing that I want to do is be a positive influence on people and a role model of sorts.  I think as a Navy guy, I’d like to go out and do something that’s patriotic.  Maybe something like “God Bless the U.S.A,” something to represent the Navy and to just be a unifying factor for us as Americans.”

When asked how he saw his career shaking out in the Navy, Stacey said “It’s tough to say, really.  I can’t say a single bad thing about my time in the Navy.  I’ve absolutely loved every minute of it and my command knows that.  But I didn’t enlist with the idea of a career in mind.  I enlisted to do my duty and be a part of what was happening in the war against terror.  I was going to do the first term and then move on.  Especially with this kind of exposure, to be honest with you, I think I could do a lot more from my perspective, if I went out and released music and everything.  At this point, I don’t have any plans of getting out early.  I want to fulfill my duty to the Navy.”

When asked if his wife received lots of support from Navy wives and other Navy fans, Stacey said “She certainly is from a few individuals.  She’s gotten some e-mails on MySpace, and some of the blogs have been very positive from the military wives’ perspective.  I’m not deployed right now, and I’m not doing something in a dangerous zone.  In a way, she represented those who stood as a support for us.”

Stacey also added “I think it was very ironic that during my video montage, they’ve played ‘Home’ for every single person by Chris Daughtry, and for me, they played, ‘I’ll Stand By You.’  All I could think of was my wife and how she stood by me, and then exactly what the song says.”

When asked if his Navy brothers teased or applauded him for being on the show, Stacey said “I got a lot of support from my Navy buddies.  Upfront they made fun of me because I went to the audition to begin with.  They joked about how I was wasting my time and everything.  Of course, at the same time when they were being serious, they said they believed in me and everything.  Once I got on the show, they were just nothing but every single week, they would text me little messages like, ‘Phil, you’re my idol,’ that kind of stuff.  It was really sweet and really nice of them.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol
and SirLinksALot: Phil Stacey.

Topics: American Idol |

11 Responses to “American Idol Finalist Phil Stacey Puts Navy Commitment Above American Idol Tour”

1. moonwars Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Like Melinda, this guy CAN’T sing! It’s a good thing he goes back to the Navy where he can be of some use. jk.

2. Anonymous Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

“like melinda…???” What the hec is inside ur ears…or do u not have any at all?? Melinda can’t sing….?? And what…u can?! I SERIOUSLY hope that was a typo, dude! Melinda can’t sing…hahahhahahaha!!! That is just about one of the funniest things i have heard on these blogs so far

3. jay Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I don’t think mr. moonwars knows what or who he is talking about.
    What a stupid f*#@k

4. elle Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 6:18 pm

WHAT!!! is moonwars on the same planet as the rest of us?? Phil is a good singer, no where near as good as melinda, though…but he did make it this far. Melinda is just PERFECTION.
    What a non-sensible remark, moonwad! Go to hell

5. james Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Everyone, moonwars is an idiot!

6. IT'S A CD COMPETITION Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Melinda can sing she’s just old fashioned. I would rather see Blake win because he’s so hip and cool he could sell a million CD’s no problem. Melinda will be like Taylor Hicks in that her career will tank after idol because she’s hard to market to top 40 radio. 20′s somethings aren’t into her style of song. Remember, when these people leave the show they have to actually SELL a CD and they cannot do that if the only fans they have are 45 year old housewives. Most of idol’s audience is middle age but most of the CD buyers are under age 25 so Blake will outsell whoever wins.

Taylor, Constantine and Rueben all have stalled careers because their fans are middle aged housewives who don’t buy many CD’s. Daughtry sells because he appeals to the youth market.

7. june carr Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

who thinks just young people likes young people singing. i love phil stacey. he is a very good singer. matter of fact i like all the young people. they have very good voices.i get tired hearing it is the young peoples world.

8. karin Says:
    May 6th, 2007 at 12:11 am

For “It’s a CD Competition: I am actually older than the 45 year old housewives you mentioned. (How old are you when you use an outdated word like “housewives”?) I voted for Clay, not Rueben, I didn’t like Constantine and I hated Taylor. My favorites so far include, Kelly, Clay, Carrie, Chris, Elliott, Melinda and Blake. All this and I am in my early 50′s. The CD’s I listen to vary from music from the 60′s to many of the same CD’s that my son and daughter listen to. What I listen to varies with my mood, and whether I am driving my car or sitting in my living room. Don’t generalize.

9. cobbi Says:
    May 7th, 2007 at 3:42 am

There were a lot of good singers who auditioned for AI but not all of them has the total package. Melinda may have the best vocals this season but how many of her fans would really buy her CD. Voting is different from buying a CD. Still, for me it’s a toss between Jordin and Blake.

10. Tina Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 11:13 am

I like Phil’s voice very much, too bad he has only showcased his very good voice during his last days in IDOL.

Melinda is way too good to be here in this contest. She just doesn’t have the fan base that vote, that’s all. But she’s gonna have a career after IDOL, that’s for sure.

I think Blake Lewis is gonna win this year. Please do read my related blogs to lighten up the air:

:-)

11. Anonymous Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 11:10 am

Phil needs to realize he’s in the Navy and STOP asking for special treatment. We are in a time of WAR and he’s singing on American Idol. Soldiers are getting killed everyday and he’s got the nerve to be that selfish. UNREAL!!!!

Comments