Kid Nation Announced By CBS

May 16, 2007 06:53 PM by Joe Blackmon

KID NATION is a reality-based series in which 40 kids will have 40 days
to build a new world – in a ghost town that died in the 19th Century.
These kids, ages 8-15, will spend more than a month without their
parents or modern comforts in Bonanza City, N.M., attempting to do what
their forefathers could not – build a town that works.

They will cook their own meals, clean their own outhouses, haul their own water and even run their own businesses – including the old town saloon (root beer only). They’ll also create a real government – four kid leaders who will guide the group through their adventure, pass laws and set bedtimes. Through it all, they’ll cope with regular childhood emotions and situations: homesickness, peer pressure and the urge to break every rule they’ve ever known.

At the end of each episode, all 40 kids will gather at an old fashioned Town Hall meeting where they will debate the issues facing Bonanza City. They’ll show wisdom beyond their years and the unflinching candor that only kids can exhibit.  There are no eliminations on KID NATION – you only go home if you want to. And in every Town Hall meeting, kids may raise their hands and leave. Will they stick it out?

In the end, will these kids prove to adults everywhere (and their own parents!) that they have the vision to build a better world than the pioneers who came before them? And just as importantly, will they come together as a cohesive unit, or will they abandon all responsibility and succumb to the childhood temptations that lead to round-the-clock chaos?

KID NATION is produced by Emmy Award winner Tom Forman ("Extreme Makeover: Home Edition") for Tom Forman Prods. and Good TV, Inc.  KID NATION will air on CBS in the Fall on Wednesdays from 8 to 9PM ET.

Topics: Kid Nation |

89 Responses to “Kid Nation Announced By CBS”

1. Dean Tyler Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

If the above mentioned CBS show “Kid Nation” is what replaces “Jericho”, then this proves that the dumbing down of America is nearly complete. Shame to CBS, shame to you people who help the networks pile this crap on to my TV.

2. David Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:00 pm

I can’t beleive this is the show taking Jericho’s time slot! I won’t be watching Kid Nation, or anything else on CBS. They just lost me as a viewer — I’ll be taking my 18-49 demographic self to a new network.

3. George Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:08 pm

Bring Jericho Back!!! KidNAtion is already a failure

4. Greg Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

So let me get this straight. 40 sets of parents abandon their children to complete strangers for a month during their most influential time of their lives, let them do whatever they want with no adult supervision, and CBS wants to put it on the air? So how is that not child neglect? Bring back Jericho and dump this crappy idea.

5. Wildcards88 Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:23 pm

I give this replacement 6 episodes before it’s CANNED!

6. Mike Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

CBS replaced Jericho with this POS?

7. April Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Cancel Jericho for this? Please! Jericho! Jericho! Jericho! Bring it back!!!

8. Scott Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

What an absolute insult to our intelligence. Another reality show, especially with the contents of this apparent drivel, is bad enough. Of course it’s not the show’s fault that it’s in the slot that Jericho should be in…that’s the result of short sighted individuals that can’t see the forest for the trees.

Shame on you CBS. Bring back Jericho. The only thing I’ll watch on your network otherwise is football…because I HAVE NO CHOICE if I want to watch my team. Other than that…forget it.

9. Ghost of Johnston Green Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

KID NATION is replacing JERICHO? CBS execs have lost their minds – they are NUTS !!!

CBS wants war? Well war is what they are going to get!

10. p funk Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

wait a minute….this is what is replacing Jericho…are you kidding….what is the demographic focus? who on earth would this appeal to? bring back jericho and spare us this garbage!

11. Jericho-Lass Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

just goes to show you that CBS does not want intelligent viewers, they only want people who will sit and stare, open mouthed, and with little brain activity … that way when they decide to cancel their show they won’t get the response they are getting now with the cancellation of Jericho!

12. Yvonne Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:04 pm

You’re kidding me, right? This is the kinda crud CBS is replacing Jericho with? Unbelievable. Drop this crud and bring our show back!

13. Loren Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

This is complete and total crap! Not only is this just wrong, its replacing a genuinely amazing show! Jericho is unique and went where no other show has, or will go.
    And its not their fault they lost viewers, its the same people who took them down!!!

THAT IS WRONG!

14. Linda Bee Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:09 pm

this show will NOT be watched by me or my kids as it is repacing Jericho………….bring Jericho back!!!!!

15. Nick Dawson Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Why is this junk reality show replacing Jericho? CBS has no clue on what they are doing altogether, just look at their radio division. DO NOT LET CBS WIN!!
    JERICHO WILL LIVE ON!

16. Jesse Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:15 pm

what a shcok CBS cancels their best new show in years, Jericho, to replace it with more reality garbage so they don’t have to pay actors. There is also a great risk one of these kids is gonan get hurt. Jericho FOREVER!!

17. Jeremy Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

It is truly dumbfounding that CBS has replaced Jericho, one of the best dramas to hit TV in years, with the most fraudulent “reality show” of all time. As if we’re truly to believe that these kids are “on their own in a ghost town”. Of course there will be adult supervison galore just off camera, and of course there will be plenty of kid coaching to make for more entertaining television.

“Watch Kids Do Exactly What Adults Striving For 15 Minutes of Fame Want Them To” next season on CBS. This is a new low in television programming.

18. John Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:17 pm

They replace Jericho with this? Who the hell is running CBS. A Monkey.

19. Kimmi Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:18 pm

We want Jericho back!!!!!!!!

20. Curt Dalton Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:21 pm

The cancellation of Jericho on CBS is one of the worst corporate decisions since Star Trek was cancelled in the 1960′s. Any executive who cancels a well-written, superbly-researched and superbly-acted television and replaces it with brainless pabulum deserves to be fired.

I have written CBS and the advertising sponsors and voiced my displeasure. I sincerely hope the advertisers are paying attention; I and I alone decide where I spend my money.

Jericho took me away from HBO and canceling Jericho is driving me right back.

Way to go CBS! HBO applauds your very stupid decision to cancel Jericho!

Now to remove CBS from my “Favorites” and I’m done.

21. kay Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

CBS stands for COMPANY BROADCASTING STUPIDITY. You have really done it this time with the cancellation of Jericho. Like the others said, you are insulting the intelligence of your viewers who actually THINK. Seriously, what is wrong with you? You stated in a letter to Jericho fans that a show with dedicated fans would watch it no matter how long it’s been off the air…true enough, but you sabotaged the success of this show. I am sick of your network.

22. Holly Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:32 pm

I can’t believe they are replacing Jericho with this kind of a show. Who do they expect to watch it?

Support Jericho, Support CBS

Cancel Jericho, Cancel CBS

23. Bret Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:36 pm

Does anyone over at CBS even watch TV anymore? People need to start getting fired or take up a janitorial role because this new lineup is GARBAGE!!! Bring back Jericho!!!! Jericho is unlike any show I have ever experienced before…it…like Heroes…has hooked me from beginning until end, only Jericho I have never missed an episode of…Someone…PLEASE…BRING BACK JERICHO!!!!!

24. Nathan Conley Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:36 pm

NO NO NO NO!!!!! Bring back Jericho! This is the worst Idea ever. ANYONE EVER READ “LORD OF THE FLIES”? This spells canceled in a week. Bring back Jericho.

25. Lynn Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

This is beyond ridiculous! Did a 5 year old come up with concept?? Fire these idiots and hire some adults with an IQ over 50. Does CBS wonder why Americans are abandoning their network for cable??? because there are millions of us out here who actually have brains who refuse to watch the idiotic crap they put on the airwaves. Bring back Jericho!!!!

26. Bill Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Is this the best CBS can do? CBS gutted Jericho on purpose and now want to feed us kid drivel.

I think I will delete CBS from my cable box – not that I will miss anything.

27. handleger Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Jericho has to be brought back. OMG replacing such a great show by a show like this?
    This show will cause bad reared children…

28. CRISTY QUIRE Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:42 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME SOUNDS SO DUMB!!
    BRING JERICHO BACK

29. Kenneth Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:43 pm

You have got to be kidding me. You cancel Jericho for Another Reality show.

30. Bob Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Nuts!!!!! This idea is nuts! How about putting Katie Couric in a ghost town ans see how long he survives? Bring Back Jericho!

31. JoJo Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Kid Nation has no chance of being a CBS hit. CBS made a very big mistake by getting rid of Jericho. CBS’s ratings will become much worst.

32. Kelley Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

PUHLEASE! This is RIDICULOUS! Save Jericho!

33. Jane Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

CBS is worse than Nuts-they’re cracked nuts. Putting on this garbage & cancelling Jericho? I sure won’t watch.

34. Rob Thomas Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 11:06 pm

Sounds like something for the CBS-owned ‘Noggin’ channel. Why is it repalcing Jericho in network Primetime? I didn’t know that the 8-15 demographic was one that primetime advertisers were after.

35. Kate Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 12:03 am

Sorry, this sounds almost criminal to do to children. Exploitive, abusive.

We want Jericho back. Save Jericho!

36. Russell Bentley Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 12:51 am

What can I say negeative that the other children of Jeicho haven’t already covered?
    Get off your butts cbs and make this right.

37. George Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 4:20 am

Without JERICHO in the fall line-up I see no need whatsoever to give another moment of my time to viewing anything on CBS. I especially will not be watching any more (so called) realityTV clones or mindless sitcoms. Television may indeed be a “vast wasteland”, but my family and I were able to find an oasis in the “Desert of Dreck” that is network television, and that oasis was a fictional small town in western Kansas…JERICHO. I am the father of 4 children ages 12-20, and without fail we were all home and tuned to CBS on Wednesday evenings when JERICHO aired, never missed a single episode. It was the only intelligent, mature program that I could watch with all of my kids, and after every episode we would spend hours over the next week discussing what we thought was going to happen next or who was responsible for what. It was a FAMILY DRAMA, a rare commodity in this day and age of mindless programming. To the people at CBS responsible for making the decision to cancel this breath of fresh air, who want me to surrender to the drivel they consider “entertainment”, I say what Gen. McAuliffe said to the Nazis at Bastogne…NUTS!

38. Valerie Shearer Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 8:03 am

If I was CBS I’d be ashamed of myself. This is kid exploitation. Shame on the parents who let strangers with cameras exploit their kids. Eight year olds should be home with their parents. I can’t imaging anyone letting their kids watch. It should be canned in a coupls of weeks.

Want to see people making their own society? Return Jericho to the air. See people deal with real things like cold and darkness and hunger as families in a brand new world. Drama can do a whole lot more reality than reality tv.

39. Steve Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 8:21 am

Nuts to that. I’m tired of CSI. Jericho was the one refreshing program on television and it and the fans don’t deserve to be treated this way. I can think of no bigger slap in the face than to be replaced by this reality show garbage.

40. Steve Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 8:32 am

So, basically, Kid Nation will be showing kids doing what they SHOULD be doing anyway? Boy, CBS dumped an excellent show like Jericho and put this on? They slapped millions of Jericho viewer across the face with this? You’ve lost me as a viewer CBS.

41. Dave Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:04 am

Look at ABC and the mega-success of Lost.
    Look at NBC and the mega-success of Heroes.

What CBS show is the most comparable to the same genre and audience of those two shows?

Jericho!

You didn’t give it enough time, to continue to grow. Plus, you made a horribly bad decision slotting it opposite American Idol.

Revive and un-cancel Jericho, and move it to a decent time-slot, and give it one more year.

The Jericho audience is the Lost/Heroes audience.

Wake up and realize you have a great show with Jericho.

The best new show on CBS.
    The 2nd best new show on all Networks.

Dave

42. Cynthia Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 10:56 am

Personally I hope this “Kid Nation” crap bombs after two episodes and then maybe whoever is making the god awful decisions over at CBS to cancel shows and betray fans will realize they made the biggest mistake ever cancelling Jericho. I for one am sick of all the reality tv shows, even American Idol. Yes I said it, American Idol. And really, three CSI’s is a bit much. I’m sick of them too. I used to watch the original but now I’ve just given up on the CBS network all together.

I don’t know why networks keep choosing to cancel the most compelling, well-written, dramatic shows out there ..but it’s time the fans take a stand on this one. CBS I beg you, renew the show or sell the rights to a network that can pick it up because us Jericho fans are relentless and this uproar isn’t going to stop any time soon no matter what you think. Nuts to you.

Go to jericholives.com for more info!

43. April Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 11:15 am

Jericho has been canceled, and the fans are fighting back! Please help us in our fight! There are emails and calls clogging the inboxes of all CBS employees, fans are sending packages of nuts to CBS and there are many save Jericho sites:

Please help us!!
    April

44. Daan Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 11:25 am

Jericho is a very good show, different from the usual fare of investigate/prosecute and sitcom. I would love to see another season develop, no matter where. Maybe a transition to a web only show would work?

45. V Stein Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Kid Nation??? IS CBS KIDDING?? Just what we need – more awful shows to encourage the children in our country to act out and behave as if they are the only ones in the world and get rewarded for their horrible behavior!! It’s garbage! I cannot believe that CBS has cancelled one of the best shows on TV!!! Jericho is amazing and captures your attention every show! Excellent writing and acting are the biggest draw to any TV Show and CBS had it! It was a poor business decision and lapse of judgment on CBS’s part for pulling the show for a couple of months, which caused it to lose viewers! ABC did the same thing to Lost and their viewership went down hill as well, but even they know when they have a good show and stick by it, by keeping Lost for another 2 seasons. CBS needs to stick by Jericho, clean up its mistakes and not promote the denigration of our society anymore!

46. Cindy Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 12:50 pm

IM boycotting CBS till they bring back Jericho!

47. Tracy Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:01 pm

CBS’s choosing of Kid Nation over Jericho is rediculous. I personally know quite a few people who adored Jericho. If CBS didn’t make the mistake of putting Jericho on such a long hiatus, the ratings would have remained high. I will just stick with FOX and NBC.

48. Brian Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:02 pm

With the cancellation of Jericho, we have lost not only one of the best shows on the CBS network, but on all of television. I – like many other loyal fans of the show – have been watching repeatedly since the very first episode and have continued to do so all season long. The reason? Jericho is a show that appeals to almost everyone; has an excellent cast; an incredible storyline; and an originality that not many shows on network TV possess anymore.

While I am sure that the decision was made on the numbers, I think it’s key to note that a) Jericho performed very well despite going up against the American Idol juggernaut; b) like almost every other show, a long hiatus hurt its momentum; and c) some of the best shows in the history of TV have needed some time to build up momentum (and very often, take off like wildfire in their 2nd seasons).

I am a 39 year old male, and can tell you that not only I, but my girlfriend, parents, and friends have all become addicted to this show. So much so that this is the first time in my life I have ever felt compelled to write to a network to let them know my feelings. And they are this: if CBS does indeed not bring back Jericho, they will have lost a couple of viewers – FOR LIFE. I have already removed the CBS channel from my programming guide, and will not endorse any of their sponsors whatsoever.

On the last episode, the characters were fighting for their very survival. Count me in as one of the 8 million viewers who are fighting for them.

49. Clifford Treend Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:02 pm

To Whom It May Concern,

I cannot express enough the anger and disappointment that I am feeling toward CBS right now. I am 41 years old, and my wife (38) and two boys (12 & 16) are avid fans of the show Jericho. This show was a breath of fresh air…a thought-provoking, relevent show amidst a sea of reality show tripe and CSI proceedurals. It is a show which, like many classics before it, showed the value of family, teamwork, and other value which I (and many others like me!) wish to pass on to our children. Seldom does television cater to the moral high-ground such as Jericho did…no, the norm is to swim in a sea of retarded high-school sexuality, the back-stabbing false friendships of reality shows, or the gratuitous spectacle of autopsy room gore. I remember when my 12 year old first got interested in watching this, around episode six, when he said, “Gee dad, this is good.” It surprised me because he usually doesn’t think his dad has good taste in TV shows. During the very poorly concieved mid-season break, he asked me numerous times when the next show would be, to which I replied, “A few more weeks!” We went back and caught up on all the first season. We all shared the second half of the season and, upon the season finale of Jericho, everyone in my house let out a loud “NOOO!” when the credits rolled. My 12 year old asked me when the next show would be and what I thought would happen, and I promised him that we would find out next season. Alas! That is not to be. I guess another lesson was taught by Jericho which I can pass to my kids: In the real world, money means more than loyalty.

Beyond this show, CBS has held no interest to me for years. Not since M*A*S*H* concluded its phenomenal run have I followed a CBS series so closely. If I recall, M*A*S*H* had poor ratings for it’s first couple of seasons. I will be honest and say that this KidNation show which is replacing Jericho is not going to be watched in our home…my kids have both read Lord Of The Flies.

The most shocking discovery I have made came from one of CBS’ very own message boards, wherein a post regarding comments by Ms Tassler stated, “If a low-rated serial drama doesn’t get the chance to tell the end of its story, Tassler said, that’s just too bad. ” That is an utter slap in the face to me…YOUR CUSTOMER!!

A few facts about what my family has done in response:

* I have informed both my local CBS affilliate (WMAZ Macon) and regional Atlanta affilliate 46 that I and several other (see below) Jericho fans have blocked their stations in our home and offices.
    * I cannot speak to how they plan to react, but I personally know of several people who are angry for how CBS has treated their customers in this matter. I have eight coworkers and their families (most of whom also have upset friends) who are involved in the boycott and letter writing campaigns, as well my own family, two of my brothers and their families, my parents, several of my wife’s parents, and many friends. My current tally is 34 people…just who I know personally and have mentioned Jericho’s cancellation to.
    * I must also mention that my wife’s coworkers on Robins AFB are avid fans and they are just as upset. I don’t know what the tally of people she knows is.
    * I have sent emails to Lowe’s, AT&T, Subway, and McDonalds letting them know that I am very dissatisfied with CBS business pratices: the fact that my family and I have been fraudulantly lured into believing that we were going to recieve a satisfactory product in return for 22 valuable hours of our time, only to be left hanging with an incomplete product.
    * I am also seriously considering reworking my mutual fund portfolio so as not to be involved with CBS in any way.
    * Jericho was not a victim of poor ratings, it was a victim of a bad timeslot (going up against American Idol) and bad decision making (the mid-season break).

It is one thing to cancel a much loved series (after all it IS only TV), but to cancel one with such promise in the way that you did leading your customers on is quite another. Ms Tassler’s reaction to her customers is completely unacceptable.

Thanks, Ms. Tassler, why don’t you tell my 12 year old that his favorite show being cancelled without resolution is “…just too bad.”

Thanks, CBS, for making me a liar to my son.

A former viewer…one of many I am sure,

50. C. Simcox Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:04 pm

I hadn’t tuned into CBS regularly for almost a decade. Then Jericho came along and changed all that. A great show with good actors and solid writing. Not perfect by any means, but much better than a lot of what is on TV these days. So what does CBS do? It cancels the shows claiming the ratings tanked. Why? The show took a two-month long hiatus and was paired with American Idol when it came back. Is anyone that surprised that the ratings fell? What’s surprising is that they didn’t fall more. And what does CBS (emphasis on the BS) replace it with? Kid’s Nation. A show that is absolutely shameless and exploits children. Good job! I stayed away from CBS for over a decade before; I will stay away a lot longer this time.

51. Heather Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

I am astonished at the cancellation of Jericho! Jericho is THE favorite show in our house! If I have to work when it’s on, I tivo it and I watch it the second I get home! Never in my life have I had this kind of addiction to a show!

CBS…SHAME ON YOU!!!

Join the Army of Jericho NOW!

Call, email, and snail mail CBS!! Let them know we are mad and we’re NOT backing down!

BRING BACK JERICHO!!!

For as long as Jericho is not on CBS…CBS will NOT be on my TV!!

FIGHT FOR JERICHO!!

— Posted by Heather

52. Timothy Whitfield Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Kid nation sux!?!?!?!
    Bring Jericho back.

53. Chad Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Jericho is the best show. CBS is NUTS!! what are they thinking? PLease bring back Jericho It is the one show I would watch I am not much into tv but Jericho was one worth watching..If CBS won’t pick it back up then TNT please do and show CBS what will happen to your ratings(they will go up)and CBS will fall SAVE JERICHO!! SEND NUTS TO CBS…. CHAD

54. JENNIFER Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Keep Jericho on. Kid Nation is a waist of time!! Jericho is what the public wants..Send CBS a bag of NUTS and show them how Nuts they are everyoun keep hoping. If CBS is stupid enough to lose Jericho then maybe a smart network will pick it up TNT, USA,CWTV someone help keep Jericho going…………Jenn

55. Sherry Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

How is televised child neglect (in best-case scenario) better than Jericho? Oh that’s right. CBS doesn’t have to pay writers or actors or anybody to do anything creative. More mindless dreck for the mindless sheep CBS seems to think we all are.

Our family of three has blocked CBS from our home for this truly assinine decision. And so are many of our friends and co-workers, the numbers of which are growing daily.

Bring back Jericho.

56. Chad Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Put this against Jericho in the same time slot on different networks and what do you think would happen?

Yeah, Kids dropped after three episodes.

Bring back Jericho!

57. LC Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

I can’t believe a reality show about KIDS has replaced the best show on television. This is truly a disgrace and a huge mistake by CBS.

58. sapooloo Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:11 pm

CBS is desperate to force reality garbage down people’s throats so they don’t have to pay actors. Bring back Jericho to save the fall lineup

59. Mark Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 7:34 am

Bring Back Jericho…… send Kid Nation to Saturday Morning where it belongs.

60. Jericho Nuts Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 9:56 am

Kid Nation is a terrible waste of time and money. I can not fathom logic behind replacing Jericho with a bunch of screaming, crying kids who are being exploited for profit. I hear screaming kids all day long and do not consider hearing more of it during my small amount of free time as entertainment. Were CBS execs drunk or high during this meeting??? They must have been to think this was a good idea.
    CBS… do the smart thing and BRING BACK JERICHO!

JERICHO FANS ENLIST IN OUR ARMY AT http://WWW.JERICHOLIVES.COM. WE WANT YOU!

NUTS to CBS!

61. Jericho Nuts Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 9:56 am

CBS… do the smart thing and BRING BACK JERICHO!

JERICHO FANS ENLIST IN OUR ARMY AT http://WWW.JERICHOLIVES.COM. WE WANT YOU!

NUTS to CBS!

62. David Carless Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Bigger than Jericho — Its Old vs New Media

In case you have not heard, CBS has cancelled Jericho. And in case you have not heard, there is a fan protest and “Save Jericho” movement afoot. Simply Google “Save Jericho” and you will see what I mean.

Right now it is just Jericho fandom vs CBS — some random number of four and five figured incomed sweat-suit wearing individuals against a unified core of six and seven figure incomed stuffed suits. It should be something bigger though. This should be a battle of ALL disgruntled and discounted customers/viewers against ALL corporate giants that would dictate to us what we will and will not be watching. If CBS gets away with canceling Jericho, then ALL viewers suffer.

CBS is stuck in this Old Media mode — bean counting and Nielsen’s. This is very ironic because CBS actually encouraged the use of web based tools with: the CBS forums, Innertube, Countdown, Beyond Jericho, and even YouTube snippets. Yet when push came to shove, CBS’ sole excuse to kill Jericho was the Nielsen numbers.

What did CBS expect when they cancelled Jericho? Did they really expect that millions of web-empowered and fiercely loyal viewers would just meekly set down the remote and be herded like sheep to watch “Kid Nation”? Did CBS learn nothing from their own Dan Rather, who defied and demeaned this very same group as “bloggers sitting at their computer in their underwear”? This very same group that educated Dan Rather about the new way of things and the New Media and forced him to step down a short time later?

Something tells me that some very high ranking people in CBS who are quite red-faced right now. They should have known better than to cancel Jericho, but they did so anyway, using Old Media mentality. If Jericho IS brought back, then some top executives will have a lot of explaining to do to Les Moonves, and the CBS board of directors, and stockholders as to why jericho was cancelled to begin with.

I wonder right now if CBS feels that they have created a “Frankenstein’s Monster” in the form of Jericho’s fan base. Are we the fans not everything that CBS asked for? They wanted smart viewers that could embrace and discuss highly controversial topics and issues. They wanted savvy viewers that could navigate the net. They wanted resourceful viewers that could integrate the web based tools and tie-ins for those nights that they could not watch it as scheduled. They wanted loyal viewers who would carry a serial, and patient viewers who would be willing to wait for the payoff during long story arcs and even a hiatus.

Well CBS should have been careful of what they asked for, because CBS got it with the Jericho fans. And their Old Media mentality of wanting to simply treat and dismiss these fans as irrelevant low Nielsen numbers, to shuffle off to a new project or experiment isn’t going to work.

We the fans are New Media. We don’t do Nielsen’s like CBS may want us to.

We do blogs. We do forums. We do networking. We do petitions, viral videos, emails, faxes, cellular phone campaign, and yes — when it suits us — snail mail. We also do online nut delivery.

We cannot be turned off at some Programming Director’s whim. And we can’t be tossed out like yesterday’s expired demographic.

I see this current fan uprising as more than just saving a show. I see this as a very high stake game of chicken — Old Media and New Media in a head-on collision. For CBS, careers and reputations are at stake. For us the fans, our value as individuals, our value as a collective fandom, and our choices and future of quality programming are at risk.

I don’t know how our “Save Jericho” campaign is going to end. But I suspect that a lot of people are watching right now. And I suspect that this movement to save Jericho will be a key pivotal point in how the networks provide future programming and interaction with their customer, the viewer.

Good luck, and hang in their all you Jericho fans. We have a chance for something big here – bigger than ourselves.

63. Dave B Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 12:03 am

You have to wonder what they are thinking, or maybe you don’t. The dumbing down of America is in full press now. Lets face it, more people vote for the American Idol than for the President. Jericho was thought provoking and we just can’t have that, you know, people thinking and all. Kid Nation will fail, to bad it is at the cost of a great show like Jericho. RIP Jericho, maybe some other network can bring you back to life!

64. Jacob Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 12:06 am

are you joking, as I sit here watching my Jericho that I downloaded of my 360. Kid Nation is a joke, and apparently cbs thinks we are a joke as well. I have gone four days so far without cbs, and I don’t miss it at all. It is time we make a stand. Jericho is our show. let us set up a Jericho Nation. We need a leader. let us fight. cBS will fall. lets roll.

65. Dustin Harper Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 6:58 pm

This is replacing Jericho? Kid Nation is another rehashed, no thought involved reality TV show which gives definition to the term “boob tube” and “idiot box”.

Nuts.

66. Cherise Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 7:07 pm

i think you all need to think about what this experience is like for the kids. They were completley safe and its taught them so much. How do i know? I know one of the kids that got the privilage to experience this. He said that he has never expeirenced anything like this before and he has learned so much from it. He has become more of a leader and i dont doubt he’s going to do alot in his future.

67. Lewis Wilkerson Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Just saw the promo. This is a joke right?

68. Scott Says:
    May 28th, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Variety has the scoop on “Kid Nation”:

69. ThunderHawk001 Says:
    May 30th, 2007 at 12:50 am

Can’t Believe that they are going to take out one of the best shows on TV that I have seen in many years. Are they really going to give it up for some other reality show filled with some crying yelling, and out of control school kids. Who is CBS fooling? I’ll be watching another station until CBS can wise up, and bring back Jericho for a second season. What was CBS thinking? I would have to say, ” NUTS!!! to CBS ” too.

70. Heather Anderson Says:
    May 30th, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I cannot believe CBS would pick up something like this, when they let Jericho go.

Bring back Jericho.

71. Katy Says:
    July 8th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

I like the idea but I was just wondering how you audition for the fourty kids?

72. kymamaw Says:
    July 12th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I can’t believe all the uproar over Jericho. Jericho would do much better in a different time slot. I am very excited about Kid’s Nation. We will finally get to see some young minds workings instead of who is backstabbing who to get ahead. These kids will be running our country in a few years. Let’s see what they come up with. You can’t make a solid judgement until you see the program.

73. Tracy Says:
    July 18th, 2007 at 11:54 am

So Jericho’s on a different night, thats all. Lighten up!

74. Vicki Says:
    July 23rd, 2007 at 12:34 am

This sounds like one of those “behavior modification” programs where kids can die because the programs and persons who refer them are not qualified, and TV is not gualified to do this. Google “WWASP” and find out for yourself. What kind of safeguards are you going to have for these kids? Sounds like you better have an on the spot attorney, doctor, and hospital! You’re treading on thin ice, better do a little more research. In the meantime, I would like to know who suggested this little take-on. Is it public record?

75. DD Says:
    August 4th, 2007 at 10:35 am

How on earth could CBS think this is OK? How on earth could parents think this is OK. I was a serious reality show fan until this show hit the fan. How terrible! No more CBS for me.

76. addie haile Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 11:53 am

i understand that people have there favorites, but i feel (as a child) that this is a great opportunity for us as the youth society to prove ourselves responsible and mature.

77. Tabi Says:
    September 20th, 2007 at 3:58 pm

I love kid nation forget whatever was on before so to all the people who think kid nation is crap……SHUP UP!!

78. Faith Says:
    September 20th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

KID NATION ROCKS YOUR SOXS SO SHUT UP LIKE TABI SAID

ROCK ON PEEPS

79. Tabi Says:
    September 20th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

i love kid nation if some one says they dont punch them in the face!!!

80. Tabi Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 5:58 am

Yo i love kid nation it is great i m auditoning for the show also so beat that all of u people who think Jericho’s always been a pice of crap! If kid nation closes me and all my friends will never watch CBS agian!!

love
    tabi

81. Jim frank Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 2:49 pm

KID NATION SUCKS i want Jericho back!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not agree on the SHUT UP comment so as they would say it SHUT UP

82. Tabi Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Jim frank u need to stuff Jericho up ur butt Grrr kid nation is rockin’! so shut ur pie hole gosh darn u butt face or bob face which ever u like better. kid nation rules!! Jericho went down the toliet!
    FLUSH.!.!.!. MWAMWAMWAHAHAHA

JERICHO STINKS !!!!

83. jay Says:
    September 22nd, 2007 at 9:02 pm

kid nation rocks!!! i agree with Faith and Tabi!!

84. jay Says:
    September 22nd, 2007 at 9:02 pm

kid nation rocks!!! i agree with Faith and Tabi!!

85. jay Says:
    September 22nd, 2007 at 9:03 pm

i agree with Faith and Tabi!!

86. Jim Frank Says:
    September 23rd, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Tabi have you ever even seen Jericho? I think not so therefore you should not say anything. kid nation is just CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRR TO YOU TABI

87. Tabi Says:
    September 23rd, 2007 at 5:44 pm

No mr.Jim Frank i have seen Jericho just to let ya know buddy!! its crap im glad they canceld it so shut up!! Kid nation rocks so u need to shut up it stupid and point less. have you even ever have wathed kid nation i think not!! So hahahah
    hey one more thing go GRRRRR your self Buster!!

88. Tabi Says:
    September 23rd, 2007 at 5:47 pm

opps on my last comment this is what i mean:
    No mr.Jim Frank i have seen Jericho just to let ya know buddy!! its crap im glad they canceld it so shut up!! Kid nation rocks so u need to shut up! Jericho it stupid and point less. have you even ever have watched kid nation i think not!! So hahaha
    hey one more thing go GRRRRR your self Buster!!

89. Katelyn Says:
    November 25th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

i was wondering how do you apply for kid nation??

Comments