America’s Next Top Model Cycle 8 Finale – The Right Choice Or The Money

May 17, 2007 07:38 PM by Joe Blackmon

Written by Belinda James and commentary by Dalia Jones.  AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!  Which show were the judges watching for the
past 13 weeks?  Is Tyra in cahoots with Cover Girl to capture the
Latino market?   What other reason could it be for that ridiculous
final outcome?  Is there an underlining message that girls with babies
cannot be devoted full time to modeling?  Did a wrinkle and an awful
suburban house wife hairdo get Renee in trouble?  I am not a happy
camper today.  Let me tell you why,.

First let’s just start from the top of the show.  Mr. Jay announced that the girls would be shooting their very own Cover Girl commercial with photographer Jim de Yonker.  However, the girls would have to adlib the entire commercial and were given only a few lines that had to be included.  Caridee, the winner from cycle 7 made an appearance to give the girls a few tips, advice and encouragement.

Natasha wrote out her entire script and when it was her turn, it was horrible.  Once she relaxed and spoke from her heart, it was much better.  Renee thought her same sob story that she used in the forest last week would work again for her commercial, but Mr. Jay stopped her dead in her tracks.  On her second try she hit the nail on the head.  Jaslene was nervous and was all teeth.  The words couldn’t come out properly because her teeth were in the way.  However, when she added a little Spanish at the end of her lines, the client loved it.  Cha-ching, Cha-ching.

At the photo shoot Natasha struggles to get a good Cover Girl smile.  She had to make herself laugh in order to produce a natural smile.  Jaslene seemed very comfortable in front of the camera.  Again, everyone is saying that Renee looks older than the other girls and too mature to start off in the modeling industry.  Why can’t the judges see that Renee needs longer hair!  Who chose that old 80′s house wife poof hair?  It was a set up because they are always adding hair to the girls for different looks and Renee’s womens magazine shoot showed that longer hair looks younger and fresher.  They changed Jael’s hair when it did not suit her face; so why not change Renee’s hair.  Am I the only one looking through my TV screen that sees the difference?

At the first evaluation the judges felt that Natasha commercial was not good.  Twiggy loved Natasha. "She would be great for selling lip products.  She is the most beautiful," says Twiggy.  Nigel adds, "She is a quick study and always improves."  Tyra loves her personality.

When evaluating Jaslene’s commercial the judges felt that she paused too much between her lines and seemed a little nervous during her commercial.  None of the judges spoke favorably about her commercial shot, and they were concerned about her chin.  Twiggy commented, “Her edgy photos are much better, but I don’t see commercial."

Renee’s evaluation was very favorable.  She landed her commercial, her Cover Girl photo was very nice.  However, Nigel and Ms. Jay felt she photographed too old.  "She is not a fresh face and we want a top model that has a fresh face.  Renee photographs old and I see a wrinkle," stated Nigel.  First of all IT’S THE HAIR!!!   He saw a wrinkle???  Are you kidding me?  Who doesn’t have wrinkles in the modeling industry?  Do you know how they fix the problem,? AIRBRUSHING.  Get a clue Nigel. He should know better than to make an ignorant statement like that one.

The first name that is called is Jaslene.  Natasha and Renee are in the bottom two.  The judges felt that Natasha started out shaky and got better.  She is always smiling and we love the bubbly personality however, her Cover Girl shoot was not good.  Tyra said that Renee had beautiful photos.  "Your photos are amazing but, you look older than you really are.  Who do we chose?" says Tyra.  Do you know who they chose?  The one with the horrible photo, bad commercial and bright personality,. Natasha.  Renee stood breathless.  You could tell she could not believe Natasha was chosen over her.  (That’s what she gets for being a *itch the entire show.)  Renee says her goodbyes and as she hugs Natasha she whispers, "Win it for the moms."  WHHHHAAAAATTT!  I thought she was Jaslene’s friend.  What a two-faced broad.  Goodbye Renee.  You should have been in the finale.

Anyway, Jaslene and Natasha get ready for a photo shoot with Seventeen magazine.  Jaslene says to the producers, "If Natasha wins this competition I will pull off all her hair.”  Hmmm, let’s see if the producers take her up on that threat for sweeps week.  In the next scene, Tyra has a one-on-one mama moment with each of the girls.  Tyra asks Natasha about her life in Russia.  NOW SHE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT HER?  Will the girl with the saddest story determine who will win this competition?  Natasha begins to tell Tyra her story, "There was a time when I had absolutely nothing.  My mother could not afford to send me to school" and blah, blah, blah,  Oh God, please spare me this moment and let’s pick a winner!  In her mama talk with Jaslene, both tried to analyze why she was not chosen for cycle 7.  Jaslene begins, "I had to go through therapy to build myself up.  This has been a life changing (tears start to fall) experience Tyra," Jaslene sobs "and I want to thank you."  (Sniff, sniff).

The only thing left for the girls to do is the walk off in a major fashion show.  The theme of designers Sass & Bide show is The Evolution of Woman.  Caridee comes out first and then Natasha followed by Jaslene.  Natasha’s walk was strong and confident.  She owned the stage.  Jaslene had her hands on her hips almost the entire walk.  Mr. Jay said, “She was walking like she was in a church fashion show.”  Natasha’s skirt fell off and she kept it going like a pro.  If my skirt was falling off I would have put my hand on one hip, sheesh.  She could have tripped or made another girl trip on the skirt.  Tyra called her two finalists the Battle of the Accents.

When it was time to chose a winner, the judges felt Natasha is funny, has gorgeous features, is a quick study, has a great future and rocked the runway.  On the other hand Jaslene was strong in the beginning but fell off a little in the end.  She has the best photos of all the girls but the judges do not see her as a commercial model.  She had strong poses on the runway.  After all was said and done, Jaslene was chosen as America’s Next Top Model.

Jaslene cries, “Every little girl has a dream.  I did not make it the first time and now look at me.”  Tyra says her spicy personality sets her apart from all the others.

DALIA:  I can see Jaslene in the next hip hop video.  She is a fierce beauty however; they lost something for me this season. Jaslene needs to eat a cookie; she’s too skinny.  Renee should have been in the finale.  I think they needed a Latino this year to capture the Latino market.  Tyra always said she wanted a diamond in the rough.  That diamond was Natasha.  Each week she improved.  Renee already had it and Jaslene thought she had it.  Every time there was a walking competition, Jaslene would fail miserably.  Maybe Natasha did not win because she is a mom.  Maybe Renee did not make it to the final two because she was a mom and stronger than Jaslene.  Usually the girl who wins is the one who aces the commercial.  Unless they did not show us Jaslene’s best cut to throw us off, she was horrible.

I agree Dalia.  If the judges felt Renee was so old, then why did it take them so long to eliminate her?  She should have left before Brittney.  I think we need some fresh new judges who don’t need eyeglasses.  Based on the body of work of the three contestants, Jaslene was not the best choice.  Oh well, let’s hope Tyra has been taking notes from us all season and will select a better crop of girls next season.

Congratulations to Jaslene, America’s Next Top Model for cycle 8 and I hope she makes lots of money for Cover Girl by opening the door for  the Latino market.  Until then Dalia and I will be working on our Modeling and Sports website with lots of information, tips and surprise interviews.  Email us at realitychicks@hotmail.com to be put on the e-list.  Thanks to our readers for your support and letters.  See you next season to see who will be America’s Next Top Model.

Reality TV Magazine
is your source for America’s Next Top Model
news.  For other great America’s Next Top Model news, please also check
out SirLinksALot: America’s Next Top
Model

Topics: America's Next Top Model |

18 Responses to “America’s Next Top Model Cycle 8 Finale – The Right Choice Or The Money”

1. RealityTVLover Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 7:48 pm

I cannot believe that Renee did not win, much less did not make it to the finale. She was head and shoulders above Jaslene and Natasha when it came to both the commercial and the photo shoot. And I have to agree with this article, Tyra & Co are the ones who chopped Renee’s hair….that made her look old. She was absolutely stunning in the pictures with longer hair….Shame, shame on the judges…they got this one WRONG!

2. MACary Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:47 pm

I have been waiting for someone to comment on Natasha’s neck. Look at it in the final pictures compared to Jaslene and Renee’s. It looks like her head sits on her shoulders with NO neck. She may take a good picture and be smiley, but she had a very strange body!!!!!

3. MACary Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:48 pm

4. brianna Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I think Rene gave good pictures, but the judges are right she would not make it in the modeling world. Kate moss is getting old and she is having a really hard time. Jaslene was a good pick because in the “go-sees” she did exceptionaly well in australia. Designers like thin girls with a pretty face. The thing about jaslene is that she is naturaly thin, which is something that helps her a lot in modeling. She does not look anorexic. I’m glad she won… I think she is going to make it!

5. RealityTVLover Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:11 am

Kate Moss is having trouble getting work because of her drug problems…

6. cookie Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 10:11 am

Too bad that Cover Girl didn’t realize their importance two years ago when they cut LISA for the same reasons. She had it all and they cut in the final rounds. Now with the focus being on Latinos in the media they decided that Jaslene should win. I agree w/Dalia that Tyra sandbaged Renee by cutting her hair. She was and should have been in the finale. Remember that most European markets want girls that look 15. Shame on Tyra and she really needs to get rid of Twiggy,her personal backing of Brittany over and over was just wrong. The girl was an headcase.

7. ktbori Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 11:46 am

Since the start Jaselene had the stronger pictures and the best personality and now some “haters” are saying that she won because some latino conspiracy, PLEASE she won because she deserved it, she did better that everyone there. So stop hating.

8. jilly Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 6:17 pm

everyone complaining about jaslene remember….when they went on the go see…jaslene won. alllllll the designers wanted to book JASLENE. so in the real world, jaslene would be a model anyway. do any of you go on style.com??? or read vogue. Renee isn’t special. I like natasha and i think she would eventually get a booking as well. AND ANOTHER THING….jaslene is naturally skinny just like some people are naturally bigger than the average size. it goes both ways.

9. StampinD Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 7:04 pm

What a ridiculous choice Jaslene was. They want someone who can represent a company’s product as a spokesmodel, and she can’t even speak proper English! I’m not talking about the accent. I’m talking basic grammar. The girl is an ignorant twit, and I’m never watching this joke of a show again. What a terrible message to send to our young girls. “You don’t have to be able to put together a cohesive sentence to win a contest where you will be hired to be a spokesperson.” What a JOKE.

10. exactlyright Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 11:39 am

Renee was the prettiest girl there. Gah, she should have won because Jaslene’s chin looks like a mans!

11. ohyeah Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 2:02 pm

I hated who they choose. The other two girls were way more talented. This show is ridiculous! It is all political!

12. Christopher A. Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 4:04 pm

I wish Natasha and Jaslene would switch places. Jaslene-runner up and Natasha the winner. I’m glad Renee didn’t win because she acted like Jade from Cycle 6 (a total BITCH). PLus she went to Barbizon modelling school in Harruisburg, PA. But I heard she still got a spot in Seventeen magazine anyway.

13. Christopher W Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 4:24 am

It really upsets me the outlets that the media is resorting to now a days. Americas Next Top model this year was supposed to be about improvement and who could be essentially the most fierce, while also maintaining the cover girl attitude. Natasha I believe carried all these attributes quite well, She mainly improved the most out of all the girls. Natasha is the kind of face youd see on the covers of high fashion magazines such as Vogue. The most Jaslene would do good for is maybe just maybe some hispanic knock off of seventeen. What has this world come to sending out messages that you can be stupid and still get far in life. Go to school then see what happens kids. Natasha should have won.

14. shineye Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 8:36 am

I noticed that Jay coached the latina more than the others. Could he have been biased?

15. CiCi Says:
    June 26th, 2007 at 4:57 pm

I KNEW JASLENE WAS GOING TO WIN FROM THE BEGINNING. EVEN BACK IN SEASON 7 WHEN SHE WASN’T CHOSEN TO GO TO THE HOUSE THEY (PRODUCERS, JUDGES, ETC.) HAD IT PLANNED FOR HER TO WIN SEASON 8. THEY REALLY LIKE CARIDEE SO THEY NAMED HER THE WINNER FOR SEASON 7 LEAVING JASLENE FOR SEASON 8. SHE WAS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO WIN, BEING THE “LATINA SPOKESPERSON….OH PLEASE! SHE IS A HORRIBLE SPEAKER, AND I’M NOT TALKING ABOUT HER ACCENT (BECAUSE I AM LATINA AS WELL) BUT SHE SPOKE AS THOUGH SHE HAD DOWN SYDROME, VERY SLOW AND EXAGGERATED. WELL I GUESS I’M GOING TO HAVE TO GO AND BE AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL…;)

16. Rawking Says:
    July 23rd, 2007 at 10:17 am

Renee is the prettiest girl in season 8, and from the very beginning that i set my eyes on her i knew she could become a winner. But too bad the judges didnt pick her. She is as beautiful as Caridee of cycle 7. She may be married and a mom, but look at her body even just after 7 months of giving birth! She is naturally beautiful and she doesnt look old at all like what the judges said.

17. Alex Says:
    August 27th, 2007 at 5:50 pm

I think Jaslene deserved it. I mean if Natasha won, what would that say? She should’ve been eliminated instea d of Kathleen and the week that followed instead of Samantha. Natasha is gorgeous, but she can’t speak and can’t photograph as well as Jaslene and Renee did. I think it would’ve been better if it was Jaslene vs. Renee. Look how many times Natasha was in the bottom 2! Renee and Jaslene were never in the bottom 2. The final runway, i think Jaslene did better just because she gave more poses and the last run she gave was just amazing. Natasha started strong but ended so weak and didn’t really pose she just stood there. And her left arm is really awkward when she walks. Jaslene also had a stronger overall portfolio. She gave a lot of Amazing shots. Also, she won the go-sees challenge. She can pose for a men’s magazine, a women’s magazine, be a covergirl spokesperson. She was amazing. The fact that she didn’t make cycle 7 and came back and won is a great lesson for us to “keep going” and never give up!

18. betzy Says:
    October 17th, 2007 at 9:12 pm

jaslene every body wanted old ass renee or ugly ass natasha to won but i think you are a great model and i saw a picture and i could see that you were wearing a BLACK THONG on.

Comments