American Idol – Melinda Doolittle Not Surprised By Results

May 19, 2007 10:12 AM by Joe Blackmon

Melindadoolittle_photoEven though Melinda Doolittle’s elimination might have been an
incredible shock to many viewers, Doolittle herself had an inclination
that it was coming.  In a recent media conference call, Doolittle
explained “You know what; when he [Ryan Seacrest] called me upfront,
just by the nature of the show and how it normally goes, I kind of had
an idea that it would be me.  So I was kind of prepared for it and I
was just kind of taking deep breaths and kind of ready to go to the
next step.  It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I
thought I was possibly going to lose it, but it was actually a happy
occasion that I made it this far.  So I’m kind of glad it turned out
that way.”

Melinda Doolittle plans to continue to pursue her music career.  Melinda described the style of album that she wants to record in the following way, “Oh gosh, the only way that I know to describe it is just soul music.  You know, anything from the heart.  I love a groove; I love anything where I can tell a story.  And so to me, I just kind of describe that as soul music.  I hope to have just a great soul album.”

When asked why she often looked shocked or surprised after receiving a compliment, Doolittle explained “You know what; it is part of my personality.  Plus I was coming out of singing background for so many years, I get so used to having to sound like other people that American Idol was my first time really stepping out and finding out what my voice sounded like.  So the fact that people liked it and were giving me good comments was surprising to me.  It was a great honor.  But it always kind of shocked me right at first.”

When asked who she joked around with most among the other Idols, Doolittle said “Goodness, everybody is hilarious out here.  I’m kind of the momma of the bunch because I’m the oldest, so I call them all my babies.  I felt like I kind of hung out with them.  Jordin, being the youngest, is my baby girl, definitely.  But I mean we all hang out, Blake, everybody.  Blake is kind of the class clown, so he might have been one of the funniest ones.”

During the competition, American Idol judge Simon Cowell was a big supporter of Melinda Doolittle.  After her elimination, Cowell offered up some kind words to Doolittle.  According to Doolittle, Cowell told her that he really believed in her and wanted her to succeed.

Also showing support for Melinda Doolittle were some of the artists that she used to sing backup for.  When asked if she had heard from any of them, Doolittle replied “I have; I’ve heard from quite a few artists that have just been extremely supportive to me and excited for me, because a lot of them have only heard me sing background, so this was something new for them also.  So they were kind of on the journey with me and they were extremely, extremely excited about it.  So it’s been a great run.  They’ve been supportive.  Even when I ask questions they’ve been extremely supportive in the press and everything for me too.”  Doolittle went on to list some of the artists by name, “CeCe Winans, Anointed, Martha Munizzi, Risen, Sandi Patty, kind of mainly just gospel artists that I’ve been singing with, so it has been great to hear from them.”

In addition, Melinda Doolittle also received support from American Idol 5 finalist Mandisa.  Doolittle said “Mandisa has been great for me.  She has just kind of been the person that understands what I’m going through, so if I need to bounce anything off of her I can.  And not necessarily advice other than, ‘Be yourself.  Love it.  Live in the moment.  And give 100%.’  So she’s been a great rock.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol

Topics: American Idol |

49 Responses to “American Idol – Melinda Doolittle Not Surprised By Results”

1. Natalie Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 10:53 am

I just wanted to say that I was also shocked and dismayed by Melinda’s departure. She has a voice like no other and was so far beyond the other finalists, that I really thought she would go all the way. I know she will have a tremendously successful career anyway, and I give her all my support and praise!!

2. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 11:04 am

my dad predicted she would leave who knew he would be right

3. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I believe Melinda is one of the very best singers found by American Idol, and I will be waiting excitedly for her first cd! Go Melinda!

4. Edwin Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Never anticipated Melinda would be voted out!Every time i watched her sang,i was amazed by her outstanding performances.Getting her out was a big mistake!Just hope that Americans would cast their vote properly….

5. John Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I knew had a feeling Melinda would go because she was sharing vote with Jordin. Blake had all the votes to himself in his own category. He was also the last guy on the stage. So I kept thinking Blake is NOT going. That’s how I figured it out.

6. Richman Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I was surprised by the results also but someone had to go. Any of the three could have been voted out. As far as the final three are concerned, I can’t off the top of my head remember any songs that Melinda sang this year. The only song I remember Jordin sing is when she butchered the Bon Jovi song. With Blake, I remember “Somewhere only we know”, “Time of the season”, and “You give love a bad name”, which was probably his best song all year. So to me that is the reason Blake could win this thing…like him of not, he is memorable, and when you think of all of the successful top 40 singers today, most of them are just average singers with a great stage presence. Talent alone does not make a star.

7. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Well, just because she was eliminated early, doesn’t mean she won’t be successful. Take a look at Jennifer Hudson! Melinda will do great in the business and I think producers knew she pretty much didn’t need to win the whole thing to be successful. I think that’s why they decided to have two young people in the top 2. I think it would’ve been harder for Blake to get a contract if he wasn’t in the top 2 and Jordin is too boring she needs to win the whole thing to actually sell records.

8. idol fan Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 3:11 pm

The producers decided? Is that you meant? Excuse me, but America voted, and if you don’t believe that or think it was rigged, why do you watch? America loves to be involved in the outcome, and believe me, the way that show and the voting is monitored, the producers don’t decide this! As mentioned in another blog, the voting has to be on the up and up, because no sponsor would be associated with any rigged program, and you better know they are keeping an eye on the integrity of the program they sponsor. So being sly and slipping in the hint that the producers decide is rather ignorant. If you don’t have faith in the show, just don’t watch. But don’t diminish something that doesn’t go the way you figured it would.

9. Gia Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Melinda was, is, always will be the best of all of them. Sorry!

10. IDOL fan from Canada Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Not sure what is going on, but Melinda is simple the greatest in all American Idol times…Is Americans blind or is there some conspiracy going on?…Do not get me wrong I love Jordin and Blake a lot and I believe they are also phenonominal, but Melinda is in a class by herself…and Americans needed to recognise. I find it a mystery as to why she got elininated…strange, strange strange

11. Anonymous Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 7:15 pm

In the circles I hang out in, the talk is that Melinda should have made it over Jordin. Blake is a creative genius who oozes talent. He’s remarkable. Beautiful voice, but of course he’s not a big voice like Melinda. So what. And as far as gospel singing voices go, I don’t think Melinda would be at the top of the heap. Let’s say she was up agains Clay Aiken or Jennifer Hudson..I think she’d lose in that case, also. Because she sang in a more outdated fashion.

12. Diana Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

We love you Melinda. You alreay have a contract even if you didn’t make it to the finals. It was obvious you were going to win anyway, and you were in a higher catergory than the other two, so that is why you were eliminated third.

13. Carol Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 8:59 pm

I believe Melinda is a winner not matter she was voted off. She was for the best singer for all the show. And she’ll find a very sucessful singer career, becuase she just can sing not just entertain. I she won the international vote so far. I’m an American living in Britain, and here people here just love her.
    Reminds me Jimmy Hendrix, who wasn’t apprenciate when he started in his own country but he won the international hearts. And he was very successful. Because when you have a real talent, belive me you’ll bright like a star no matter what.
    Melida you are a winner and I know you will sell more records than who ever wins this competition.

14. Carol Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 9:00 pm

15. Glen Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 9:55 pm

Melinda is still the best!!! She is way up there!!

I think what happened was everybody thought Melinda was already going to be one of the top 2. But we…Melinda’s fans forgot that we had to vote, vote and vote for her.

Now…Blake and Jordin’s fans had to vote many times over because they wanted their idol to be the one to compete with Melinda.

In the end….the votes Blake and Jordin got exceeded those of Melinda’s.

Therefore…Melinda was booted out.

It’s as simple as that. I think that Melinda will even be more successful than any of the American Idol Winners.

She can sing ANYTHING!!!

Thanks and more power to you Melinda!!!

Glen

16. Glen Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Melinda is still the best!!! She is way up there!!

In the end….the votes Blake and Jordin got exceeded those of Melinda’s.

Therefore…Melinda was booted out.

She can sing ANYTHING!!!

Thanks and more power to you Melinda!!!

Glen

17. Karen Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

I was surprised and not surprised. I wanted a Jordin and Melinda final. They were my favorites from the beginng. Not to worry about Melinda I know record companies are waiting in line to sign her. Melinda you have a beauitful voice.

18. BONNY Says:
    May 19th, 2007 at 11:43 pm

GO MELINDA GO!!!!

19. Rish Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 1:46 am

I really wanted to see a Melinda/Jordan finale.

How excited would that have been?

OMG! We Americans really know how to suck all of the fun out of a competition!!!!

I love how American Idol changes these young peoples lives overnight. An AI fan forever!!!!

20. Tanya Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 2:56 am

BLAKE IS STILL THE BEST. NOT NECESSARILY MEAN YOU HAVE A GREAT VOICE YOU WILL BE THE AMERICAN IDOL. NO NO NO. “IDOL OF THE AMERICANS” AND BLAKE HAS IT, THE IDOL OF THE AMERICANS. HE HAS GOT TALENTS, LOOKS, CHARM, AND HE IS THE REAL ARTIST AND MUSICIAN AMONG ALL OF THEM. I HOPE THESE CRITICS WILL FIND IT INTELLIGENTLY, DONT BE LIKE A CHILD.

21. hansen chew Malaysia Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 4:29 am

I read all the comments. Most of them supported Melinda. I cannot speak on behalf of the entire Malaysians but ALL of my friends here supported Melinda Doolittle all the way. It’s sad that Malaysians cannot vote for her. We love her so much because her vocal ability is FAR BEYOND Blake! Now that Melinda is gone, we WILL NOT watch the finale because in our hearts, Melinda has already won the idol.

22. eric Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 4:46 am

It´ll be idiotic to still think these kinds of shows are not manipulated! I for one, still watch the show for what it was initially intended… talent! Now, in this particular season, it gave me the pleasure of knowing there are a Melinda & a Lakisha who will for sure succeed thanks to their unbelievable voices while on the other hand, one is once again be dissapointed by how easily TV programs are prostituted.

23. Richman Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 9:19 am

Of course most of these comments favor Melinda. If Blake lost, most would favor Blake and if Jordin lost, the Jordan fans would be posting. It’s always easier being a good winner than a sore loser. As fas as vote manipulation, in this day and age if that was happening someone would have found out by now. These shows have too much to lose if they were caught. 100′s of millions of dollars in lost revenue and fines. Much easier to let the viewers vote and make money from that.

24. Mierel Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 9:40 am

Melinda, You are brilliant shining star and we love you!

25. Desi Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Melinda ROCKS…she’s the winner without the “crown”. Love your personality and voice Melinda!

26. bob Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 9:54 pm

blake&jordin is good but melinda is great

27. Anonymous Says:
    May 20th, 2007 at 9:56 pm

melinda indonesian love you,because you’re real idol

28. edge Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 12:02 am

We love Melinda so much! I contract myself to buy all your cds that will be in top Billboard for sure! Melinda Rules!!!

29. mew Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 12:43 am

..i think that the credibility of the show was gone when JEN HUDSON,LATOYA LONDON,CHRIS D.,AND NOW MELINDA D,were bootesd out,,uhg..i hate BLAKE!!..he only knows how to BEATBOX,it’s his only chance of making a good performance..he sucks!!!..i’d rather have JORDIN winning,she’s more deserving than blake!!..but sori jordin,melinda already won that title when she first AUDITION..hihihi..c:

30. Brian Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 12:59 am

Well i often wonder if Idol is rigged because the performers that are voted off too soon, often sell millions more cds than the winner of the show. Example Chris Daughtry vs. Taylor Hicks…Daughtry as sold millions more cds than Hicks…Melinda is by far the best singer of this season and maybe out of all the seasons thus far. But Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar and she didn’t even make it to the top three so im almost positive Melinda will do amazing…I’ll sure support her…As for the finale ill probably watch just because i havent missed a show all season…i guess im going for Jordin now that Melindas gone…Still hard to believe shes gone but thats life…shes the best and she knows that…Thats my opinion…But again i predict Jordin to be Idol ’07.

31. Antonete Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 1:44 am

Melinda booted off, american idol has come to an end for a next season see you next season.

32. Antonete Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 1:45 am

33. hammer Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 2:08 am

Melinda, I wish you all the best

34. Anonymous Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 7:32 am

Melinda vocally was the best this season. She will make next season even harder cause you haft to go beyond amazing to stay week after week.

35. Mary Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 9:35 am

Who said contest can not be riged?. I was a judge for a singing contest once and was told to basically cheat on points,I refused and quite. Now I am not saying this happen,but there has to be a change in their voting system,i think too many kids are voting. Melinda you are the best!I will buy all the CD’S that come out and also pass many to friends as gifts.

36. Mary Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 9:35 am

37. Anonymous Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 9:55 am

Melinda, i don’t know if u ever read any of these blogs, but just in case u do i just want u to know that u were Wayyyy too good for this show! You really were…i mean above and beyond. American idol is a couple of hills below you, and thats probably why u didn’t make it..sadly. But we all know you already have made it! I just hope u still believe in urself as much as others do, and stick to it, and sell those cd’s girl! And let me see u win an emmy or too also. Good luck hun!

38. Anonymous Says:
    May 21st, 2007 at 9:58 am

…or a golden globe, or best female vocalist…u get my point, dont u??

39. Anonymous Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 2:11 am

um yea she shoulda been eliminated 2 weeks ago..

and then blake shoulda gone and LAKISHA AND JORDAN IN THE FINAL..

40. Anonymous Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 2:12 am

BUT MELINDA U ARE A GREAT SINGER.. ITS JUST THAT THE OTHERS APPEALED MORE TO ME..

NO WAIT BLAKE SHOULDA BEEN ELIMINATED 2 weeks ago and then U.

but oh well

good luck,

41. deedee Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 2:24 am

I think the real final begins after AI season ends. In reality, best singers do not always come with best selling albums. Melinda, Jordin, and Blake are great and special in their own ways. Melinda is great, but boring: the way she sings, the way she performs her songs… It’s just too outdated. Jordin – Blake final will be very interesting to watch since they have different audience. I’m rooting for Blake since his songs are catchy, easy listening, and original. Blake will have the best selling album among all the AI finalists this season, no matter if he loses the final.

42. Dave Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Doolittle won, clear and simple. The problem is American Idol lets kids call more then once from the SAME phone number, making the voting rigged. Voting system is flawed!!

43. Anonymous Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 12:17 am

Milinda, smile girl because your days are not over yet.

44. Anonymous Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 12:19 am

I still don’t know why blake or whatever he calls himself made it to the finals. DO you?

45. Vee-best Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:01 am

MELINDA IS A BEAUTIFUL SINGER. I DON’T CARE HOW OLD SHE IS, SHE IS MY IDOL. I WILL SUPPORT HER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. LINDA IS THE AMERICAN IDOL.

46. hansen_malaysia Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:47 am

we love u Melinda.cant wait for your first album.

Blake,do u know Sanjaya is better than U!!?

47. Alfreda D Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

In my opinion, you were the best!!! I’d love to hear a gospel album from you. God Bless

48. jo Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 1:20 am

Melinda was the best American Idol had. I can’t believe she was voted off, but she’ll do amazing (she’ll be like another Chris Daughtry and go on to sell way more CD’s and stuff than the finalists). She’s one amazing person. She was so humble and accepting of whatever happened, and has never once said anything negative about being voted off. She is a great example of what a true American Idol is. I will be one of the first in line to buy any CD she puts out.

Melinda was never in the bottom of any of the votes at any time on the show until she was voted off. That sure has to say something, doesn’t it? No other Idol contestant can say that. I loved watching Melinda every week, but don’t think I can watch American Idol anymore after this season, because it has been two seasons in a row of the wrong person being voted off who really should have won. What happened to this being a singing contest? Instead it has become a popularity and looks contest…so sad.

We love you Melinda! You’re the best!

49. wAAfy Says:
    July 7th, 2007 at 2:28 am

I believe in Melinda, just as much as I believe in Elliot Yamin, Latoya London, and best of all, Kelly Clarkson. I will sure buy every cd’s she produces, and my very best of luck wishes to her all the way from Brunei. I love yo, Melinda.

Comments