This Is My Now Wins American Idol Songwriting Competition

May 22, 2007 07:53 PM by Joe Blackmon

After over 25,000 submissions and almost 500,000 votes, “This Is My
Now” was selected by AMERICAN IDOL fans as their top choice for the
final two Idols to perform live tonight, and for the winner to record
as his/her first single, it was announced today by AMERICAN IDOL
creator and executive producer Simon Fuller. For penning the winning
single in the American Idol Songwriter Competition, Seattle songwriters
Scott Krippayne and Jeff Peabody earn a publishing deal with 19
Entertainment.

“This song clearly resonated with the American Idol fans and was the clear winner of the Songwriter competition,” said Fuller. “Scott and Jeff wrote a song that speaks to why ‘American Idol’ is so popular – the pursuit and achievement of dreams and taking advantage of the moment.”

The goal of the “American Idol Songwriter Competition” was to elevate the songwriter craft and to let America choose the finale song this season’s winner would record. After the competition was announced, over 25,000 songs were submitted through the contest’s website.

Once the submission date was closed, Fuller and his 19 Entertainment music staff in London, Los Angeles and Nashville personally listened to each entry and narrowed the field to the final 20 songs based on their merits. During the process, the 19 Entertainment staff was impressed by the number of serious songwriters and the investment they made in their production of the song and their time in furthering their art, which showed in the overall quality of their work.

Winners Krippayne and Peabody will appear tonight on the “American Idol” finale to watch as their song is performed live by the final two Idols for the first time. A father of two, Scott Krippayne is an accomplished singer-songwriter who aspires to write songs that reflect life, resonate with people and touch the heart. In addition to being a songwriter, Krippayne’s songwriting partner Jeff Peabody is also an advertising consultant, graphic designer and full time pastor. Both reside in the Seattle area of Washington.

Twenty-two-time Emmy-nominated AMERICAN IDOL is created and executive-produced by Simon Fuller, founder of 19 Entertainment; and executive-produced by Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.; Nigel Lythgoe, President, 19 Television; and Ken Warwick, Executive Producer, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.

Topics: American Idol |

20 Responses to “This Is My Now Wins American Idol Songwriting Competition”

1. L Larson Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 8:59 pm

The Idol song was a total bore and a yawn. What are people thinking, it was a song that would have been ok in the 50s and 60s – it was old fashioned and almost worse than Do I make you Proud the Taylor Hicks song from last season. Absolutely terrible – they should have sung songs they chose for the final three, to show off their own individual talent.

2. Anonymous Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I agree. It was a boring song. Trite.

3. Anonymous Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 10:08 pm

It was a shame Blake had to sing that song. I imagine he was cringing inside. However, Jordan was awesome.

4. Anonymous Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 10:10 pm

Actually it was Jordin who was awesome.

5. Skip Hill Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 10:37 pm

The problem with Blake is that every song he sings sounds the same. When he sang “This is my Now” it was blah. Jordin took the song and made it her own. As usual. When she sang it it was great.

6. K Lucas Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 1:15 am

I was optimistic about what this contest might produce – unfortunately it resulted in exactly the same dreck every final two has had to sing every season. A Moment Like This gets a pass only because it was all so fresh. These songs are awful and attempt to be too “one size fits all” to match the variety of contestents this show needs to stay interesting.

7. Paul Hrabal Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 1:20 am

Forcing Blake to sing this song stacked the deck against him. It was a Jordan song and made for her. Very unfair.

8. Judi Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 8:14 am

Yuk! Gag! What a dreadful song for those poor kids to have to sing for their final effort and final chance to impress. It had nothing going for it and was really unfair to Blake (although I like Jordin better anyway).

9. Sara Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 10:03 am

Come on….people who are truly “great” singers and can be considered musicians can sing any song given to them, so the fact that you feel the song was tailored more for Jordin and Blake couldn’t sing it well may just prove that he isn’t cut out to be the next American Idol. Furthermore, America picked the song, so if you don’t care for it, maybe you should have voted, ya know??

10. Space Gorilla Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 11:25 am

Just FYI, The American Idol single ‘This Is My Now’ is pretty much a rip off of a Christian worship song called ‘How Great is our God’. Anyone who listens to both songs will hear how similar they are. There’s no question the writers of ‘This Is My Now’ borrowed heavily from ‘How Great is our God’.

11. Sue Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 2:44 pm

JORDIN AND ONLY JORDIN SHOULD WIN.
    YES, BLAKE IS DIFFERENT,BUT COME ON, THIS IS A SINGING COMPETION.

12. BC Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 7:08 pm

The bulk of the final songs were generic ballady tripe, and hardly what you would expect from a legitimate songwriting contest with so many entries. One of the final 20 was written by a friend of mine (and one of the only two songs that sounded like real song-songs), which made me watch the show for the first time in a while. Ugh. Bland and blander. In many ways, the winning song fit right in.

13. Brianne Says:
    May 23rd, 2007 at 9:28 pm

Is there any way I can get the lyrics to that song?

14. kenneth Maluyo Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 1:49 am

I need the lyrics of “This is my now.

15. PJ Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 9:28 am

Jordin does have a great voice, and yes it is better than Blake’s, but she is boring. And I disagree that a singer should be able to sing anything– that is ridiculous. The final song was horrible. They should be able to pick (or better yet write and arrange) their own final song. Then we would see talent istead of just pure marketability!!!!

16. Natalie Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 5:38 pm

i actually really really really liked the song “this is my now” i thought it was brilliant..

but i do think the they should have done seperate sings like Last years finalists

its not fair to do the same one i dont think..

btw-is there any possible way 2 get the lyrics?!?!?!

17. elizabeth Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 8:19 pm

okay, so the song is very near amazing. it was a wrong song for blake if hes being compared to jordin singing it, but he wasnt HORRIBLE. just not as good as jordins version. every time i hear jordin sing it, idk i get this exhilarating feeling. she sings verrrrrry well. and blake is good, but not really as a singer. just as a..uhh song? no. idk jordins voice is great though.

18. Becky Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 8:22 am

I am still amazed at the difference between the two singers with that song. Jordin is AWESOME. I have been seeing “digs” on the internet about Jordin and can’t believe it. To be 17 and named American Idol is remarkable. CONGRATULATIONS JORDIN!!

19. Stephanie Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 11:41 pm

I personally thought Jordin was brilliant. With that song and almost everything she sings. I have watched her along with the rest of American grow in her talent and become so comfortable with herself. She only gets better. Her singing This Is My Now moved me right down to my soul. Maybe it is kinda Idol cookie cutter. I still loved it. ON TO BLAKE…..Blake is such an awesome entertainer. And as far as his singing….he’s a helluva lot better than some of the big name acts out there. He definitely will go far. That bit with the guy I think his name was Doug E Fresh was HOT! I enjoyed every minute of it. We will be seeing A LOT of both of them.

20. Blake Lewis Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 6:14 pm

That was a Good Song Vote for me i Had Fun Singing it , even though Jordin Sparks Beet Me !

Comments