American Idol 6 Finale Best Moments

May 24, 2007 07:30 AM by Joe Blackmon

Blake_beatboxingNow that Jordin Sparks has been crowned the winner of American Idol 6,
it’s time to look back at the performances and comedy segments from the
American Idol 6 finale.  Which performances stood out at the best?
Which joke segments were the most memorable?  Here are our choices for
the best moments from the American Idol 6 finale.

Blake Lewis might have ultimately lost American Idol 6, but he had perhaps his best performance of the season on the American Idol 6 finale.  Teamed up with Doug E. Fresh, Blake Lewis showed exactly what he can do when he performs a song that does fit within his style of music.  Blake Lewis & Doug E. Fresh showed what beatboxing is all about, and likely earned the genre many new fans with their performance.  It was nothing less than astonishing.

While Melinda Doolittle might have been eliminated one spot short of making the final two, she reinforced just how wrong that elimination was with her finale performance with Bebe & CeCe Winans.  Ryan Seacrest pointed out that Melinda use to sing back up for them and now she’s singing with them.  Based on what Melinda showed during her performance, we doubt that she will ever be singing back up again.

Overall, most of the performances on the American Idol 6 finale were strong.  There wasn’t really anyone who crashed and burn.  Some of the more exceptional performances included Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Green Day, and the African Children’s Choir.  The tribute to The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album also came together nicely for everyone involved.

While the performances were solid, the comedy segments fell a little short of the previous two seasons.  For the most part the Golden Idol Awards weren’t that great, but the “Best Buddies” award shined above the rest.  Up for “Best Buddies” were Jonathan Jayne & Kenneth Briggs, Amanda Coluccio & Antonella Barba, and Ryan Seacrest & Simon Cowell.  While the replay of some of Seacrest and Cowell’s classic exchanges from this year were hilarious, the award ultimately went to Jonathan & Kenneth, which was the correct choice.

Ryan Seacrest asked Kenneth how he felt about Simon Cowell’s bush baby comment, and Kenneth said “You know, at first it hurt me, I couldn’t believe someone could say that.”  Then, Kenneth added “You know what Simon if you hadn’t said what you said then I wouldn’t be where I’m at, and I forgive you.  Thanks man, lighten up, I have.”  As an image of a real bush baby flashed on the Idol big screen, Seacrest told Kenneth that American Idol had sponsored a bush baby on his behalf at the Milwaukee County Zoo.

Do you agree or disagree with our selection of the best moments from the American Idol 6 finale?  Which other moments would you have included?  Which moments that we selected would you have left off?

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for American Idol
news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Idol

Topics: American Idol |

38 Responses to “American Idol 6 Finale Best Moments”

1. Judi Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 9:29 am

The comedy attempts were lame as is the very “banter” between Simon and Ryan. I thought Kelly Clarkson was fantastic as always and I like her new song. Carrie Underwood is always beautiful, charming and great. I thought Ruben was supposed to be dieting and losing weight?

Show was 1.75 hours too long.

2. Judi Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 9:30 am

The comedy attempts were lame as is the “banter” between Simon and Ryan. I thought Kelly Clarkson was fantastic as always and I like her new song. Carrie Underwood is always beautiful, charming and great. I thought Ruben was supposed to be dieting and losing weight?

Show was 1.75 hours too long.

3. Elyn Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 10:37 am

My pick for top moments of the finale are: Blake showing us that he is the most talented individual American Idol has ever had; Carrie showing us why she is the top female country singer; Melinda showing us why she deserved to be in the finals. I feel that years down the road, when American Idol is a show of the past, Carrie, Blake, Melinda, and Kelly will be the big stars American Idol will be most remembered for. Unfortunately, Sanjaya has scratched a little place in our memories–for totally different reasons.

4. Amelie Lynn Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:24 am

I agree with this article. I also liked the top 6 men with Smokey. And it reminded me of why I was sorry when Brandon Rogers was eliminated. Also a back up singer like Melinda and he should have gone on longer. Melinda was terrific with Cece and Gladys, she is no back-up singer now, deserves to be right out front. Lakisha also sang well, a real powerhouse. Why were these three great singers eliminated? Carrie Underwood gave stellar performances and I enjoyed seeing Taylor’s again, liked the song and he always makes me smile. In the end it seemed right that Jordin should have won, she is personable, beautiful, young and malleable and has a good strong voice. If she looses some weight like McPhee did she will be even more photogenic which wouldn’t hurt. And really isn’t not winning actually better? Look at how successful some of the non winners have been. So while I am happy for Jordin, I am also happy that some of the others and my personal favorite, Melinda, will do just fine.

5. Ruthie Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:25 am

I agree that Carrie, Kelly, Melinda and Blake will all be among the brightest stars to come from American Idol. Their moments on the finale all displayed their enormous talent. We didn’t need the other guest stars because these four outshined them anyway. But, how about adding the bundle of talent sitting in the audience who was voted off American Idol and emerged into an acadamy award winning star? I also think Jordin has good potential to join the big time list. Hopefully next year will bring the best one ever!

6. Bill Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:57 am

The AI 6 finale wasn’t as memorable as last year’s show for me. Each year the winner has had a voice I can discern upon the first few notes of hearing. Can’t say that about this year’s winner or any of the other contestants, save Melinda Doolittle. Jordin has a beautiful voice, but I won’t recognize it when I hear it on the radio.

As for the highlight of the night? Taylor Hicks has all the makings of a truly great artist, given the chance to shine. Wonderful performance last night!

7. Carolyn Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Ok, we all for the most part seem to agree on the highlights, but I have a few complaints, too. My A.I. viewing partner and I both agreed that we felt like we were at the Marketing Board Meeting when the fossilized remains of Clive Davis got up there again and started spouting off about record sales, and much of it at the expense of poor Taylor and Katherine! As my partner said, he half expected him to say, “I hope you’re all enjoying the chicken. Can we have the next slide, please?”
    Ok, then what about Bette Midler? She’s a great performer, but last night she was really Vegas-lame-schmaltzy. Wind Beneath my Wings? Yech!
    Lessee–I thought Carrie Underwood’s recycling of “I’ll Stand By You” from the Idol Gives Back show fell flat, and her voice was clashing horribly with the fiddle player–Can somebody say ‘pitchy’?
    And finally, I think the Golden Idol Awards demonstrated the lowest common denominator humor attempts of the producers, at the expense of folks with developmental delays/mental illness. Reminds me of Howard Stern way of thinking–”Let’s give the retarded guy the thrill of his life.” Heavy sigh.
    Still, overall, the show celebrated musical diversity, that’s for sure. Complain tho’ I will, I will be back in front of my TV set come January.

8. Elaine Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 12:32 pm

How can you not include Kelly in your list, especially with Joe Perry in the Sgt. Pepper medley? Or the Ruben/Jordin duet? Or Tony Bennett, always a class act? I could have done without the Golden Idol awards this year, which I thought were pretty lame and very un-funny. I’d much rather have had more singing by Lakisha, Melinda, Brandon, and the other idols. Definitely could have done without the Gwen Stefani segment.

9. The finale was awesome Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

The finale was awesome. Loved that performance with Blake. That was so awesome!!!!! Blake, you are awesome and even though you are not the winner, you are going to have a great career, I know you will.

10. E Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Absolutely loved Melinda and Lakisha singing along with Gladys Knight! Loved Taylor too! And Blake’s beatboxing was superb!
    Bette Midler sounded terrible, but Tony Bennett was terrific. Carrie’s voice is always good, but I just don’t find her to be very entertaining.

11. Merch Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Agree for the most part with your comments. Taylor Hicks was the highlight for me. He always gives 150% and it is good to see some enthusiam for a change. It was great seeing him again, plus he looked awesome in the leather jacket. Stefani should have been left off the show. The whole Clive Davis schtick was out of place. They could have let him do his year-end report at a “bored” meeting! Even Carrie looked a bit awkward. Loved the Sgt. Pepper segment and the group Top 6 spots with Smokey Robinson and Gladys Knight. Didn’t watch this year except for Wednesday night. Overall, it did not compare with the talent of last year.

12. Christine Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 3:36 pm

For me, Melinda should have won this so the whole thing wasn’t as fun as it could have been. A Melinda/Jordin or Melinda/Lakisha finale would have been so AWESOME -when Melinda was eliminated it was like they handed the whole thing to Jordin on a silver platter. They didn’t even need to have Tuesday’s show. I found this whole finale pretty lame. Was watching with a friend – at 9:15 we were both so sleepy and said “do we have to stay up and watch this?” Glad somebody countered the “Carrie was awesome” comments; she looked good, but did NOT sound good; flat, pitchy, uninspired; ick! and I used to like her. Kelly was great. Loved Tony B(he’s 80+, to be able to sing like that still is amazing. Give him a break). Bette, OH MY. So sorry there. Where was Clay Aiken? And Bo Bice? McPhee? The Sanjaya thing was FUNNY; give the kid credit, he has more poise and genuine-ness than half of our “stars” – good for him. All in all,the whole season was a bummer. Not sure I’ll watch next year, and I’ve been really faithful. They need to change things (vote for who LEAVES!) That’s all for now.

13. Lisa Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Green Day made the show! They were — as always — incredible.

I hated Kelly’s rendition of St. Pepper. It’s not a screamer song but she screamed all the way through it. She kinda destroyed the melody.

Ditto for Carrie’s Beatles’ song — she completely destroyed the melody. I recognized the song from the lyrics — the melody was unrecognizeable. She hit two strong notes but the rest was awful.

I enjoyed Taylor — for the first time! He did a good job with his first song.

Melinda was incredible. Move over CeCe!

Why was Gwen there again? Taped. Total snore.

Blake’s vocals didn’t sound great when he and Jordin were singing. I hated the beatboxing.

I HATED the “loser” awards Ryan dispensed. So rude. So low. I think he’s the real loser.

14. Carley Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

For those of us who were under the impression that Taylor Hicks had fallen off the face of the Earth, what a pleasure it was to see him last night. I didn’t know he had an album. I loved the song. I went to Walmart to buy the album, but they didn’t have it. WTF??? And what was with the old dinosaur dissing Taylor. Has this been going on all year. No wonder I thought he had disappeared. And what about Kat?

15. barbara shearing Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

I really enjoyed the finale of American Idol last night. I think etched in my memories are Melinda Doolittle singing her heart out with cc and bb wynan. she was right out there as their equal. no back-up singer was she last night. I was so proud and felt she does not need the title odf American Idol to prove her great versatility and talent musically! Taylor Hicks too was his usual unique self. And Brandon Roger’s smile as he sang reflected his inner joy at the chance to sing beside Smokey Robinson.It was a great show. And let’s hope the new American Idol Jordan Sparks can measure up to her title!

16. barbara shearing Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

17. Packrat Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

While the first hour was mostly agony, it picked up the second half. Loved: Anything Melinda, Carrie, or Jordin did. The whole Sgt Pepper medley. Hated: The Golden Idols, Gwen Stefani, 10 zillion commercials. Somebody please tell me Bette Midler was sick! That was PAINFUL! And I hope I can still TALK as well when I’m Tony Bennett’s age.

18. yesitsme Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Taylor’s album is always available to purchase on amazon.com! I bought it when it first came out and it’s brilliant – old school soul vs. new school.

He was excellent last night – finally, a performance with some zest to it- that’s what was missing this year – Taylor’s enthusiasm and sheer love of performing!

19. Jane Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 7:06 pm

I loved Green Day last night. I had never seen them before — had to buy their album today. Loved Taylor — I was crazy about him last year and didn’t like how AI did a vanishing act on him this year. What’s up with that? I liked Kelly, too. She’s got a lot of spirit and I like that she’s tried to buck the ol’ AI system. As for that — Clive’s speach makes it only too clear, it’s all about the almighty dollar and squeezing out the next hit-making clone. Kind of sad, really. I only watched a few episodes this year and the finale was probably the last time I’ll ever watch it. Smokey was great. Bette, not so much. Actually really liked the Ruben/Jordin duet, too.

20. True Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Taylor Hicks broke American Idol.

21. Jeanne Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Most enjoyable show of this whole season (OK, I missed the Idol gives back show).

As a contest, it was a snooze fest. Melinda was the best most consistant singer. Poised and professional, tho I like Jordin.

Gwen Stefani. Why?

Clive Davis. Who cares? Get your mind out of the numbers gutter – it’s the talent we care about.

Smokey & Gladys. Classy and great.

Sgt. Peppers. Loved it. Remembered how really good that album is.

Kelly. Enjoyed her, actually liked her with Joe Perry best.

Rubin. Nice to see him again.

Carrie. Gorgeous. Loved the gown/jeans.. where can I get one?

Taylor. How can you not smile and have a good time. The Sgt. Pepper was kinda different for him, liked it.

Sanjaya. He’s grown on me. Watching him last night I thought: Hey.. when Mick Jager finally drops Sanjaya can step right in!

Golden Idol awards. Please stop making fun of people, even tho they let you. Some of them don’t get it. (Like ‘Big Bird’).

Yawn. Till next year.

22. Jessica Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 8:03 pm

I think the ‘golden idol’ awards were horribly offensive. Since when is it acceptable for wealthy celebrities to pick on people? It’s one thing that Simon was a cranky ass during auditions but to go so far as to continue comparing that man to an animal on a finale show in front of millions of people… that is one of the lowest things I’ve ever seen on TV (which says a lot). The people who received the ‘golden idol’ awards have much more dignity than those doling it out… especially in the case of someone as neurotic, self-hating and robotic as Ryan Seacrest.

23. Annie Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 8:17 pm

I loved the beatboxing. That was definitely a highlight. Hearing Kelly Clarkson at any time is a highlight. But did anyone else notice that her voice seems to be giving out? She sings in her upper register every single day, and it has taken a toll on that beautiful voice of hers. Carrie Underwood can sing her ass off. However, her rendition of “I’ll Stand By You” was strangely sharp all the way through. I found myself cringing for her, as I thought it may have been an earpiece malfunction. It was quite uncomfortable. I LOVED Melinda, and kept waiting for her name to be called when Seacrest announced the winner. I was disappointed. Lakisha also sounded awesome.

Sanjaya……was Sanjaya. And I must be a very mean person, because I want to smack that little girl who continuously cries like Sanjaya is the second coming of Elvis.

Oh, Bette Midler…..what HAPPENED to you? Did anyone else find that performance of “Wind Beneath My Wings” as terrible as I did? I love Bette! What happened?

Anyway, glad the season is over (I’m lying). I just can’t wait until next year!

24. Carol Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

Taylor Hicks broke American Idol?
    Not SURE what you meant by that but I see your point. Once you’ve had the best its hard to go back.

25. Robert Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Most overall talented idol of the past 6 seasons?

My vote goes to Taylor Hicks!
    (singer, songwriter, performer, musician, uniqueness).

26. BORING SEASON....JUMPED THE SHARK Says:
    May 24th, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Although Jordin has a strong voice I won’t remember her in a year, I will only remember Blake because he did things no one ever did on idol before. All his performances were of current songs while everyone else was singing played out crap from the 70′s. Blake was the first one to sing reggae on idol, first to beatbox on idol and first to rap on idol. He was a breath of fresh air on a program known for CHEESE. As for the “comedy” sketches, they were completely retarded and a total waste of time. Last year’s sketch with Clay Aiken was hilarous, the chicken lady was an embarassment to the whole show. Why didn’t they bring Sherman Pore back instead? He could actually sing!

I would have liked to see more of the top ten and less filler and why so many washed up “stars” aka Bette Midler, Smokey Robinson ect.? I would have liked to see Blake team up with Eminem or Chris Richardson with Justin Timberlake. I wish Melinda made it to the top 2 instead of Jordin, she doesn’t inspire me at all. And why do they give the top 2 the world’s worst song to perform as their “single” when it clearly doesn’t fit Blake’s musical style? Simon even admitted that the song was crap and not right for Blake then the next night slams Blake for something not his fault. Why not write a different song for each singer to fit their personal style? Asking Blake to sing that horrid whiny ballad would be like asking Jordin to Beatbox. Gimme a break! And they wonder why people think the show is rigged.

27. Cris Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 3:04 am

I enjoyed everything about the finale, the singing, the dancing (esp. by the guys while doing back up for Smokey Robinson), seeing the stars in the audience, and some of the comedy, altho I could have done without seeing again some of the weirdos from the auditions, but it was good that they showed the real bush baby because it proved that Simon was wrong, Kenneth really didn’t look like a bush baby at all. Anyway I’m really glad I didn’t vote at all this season (knowing that win or lose my faves Melinda, LaKeisha and Blake will all do alright post-Idol) because you can really sit back and enjoy the show when you get to watch it without any added expense. I thank the producers, judges and Ryan too because I think he has the hardest job of all–I know because I host too…parties, not shows, but I think the expectations and pressures are in some respects the same, and everyone else involved with the show for a quite enjoyable season 6!

28. Dog Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

THANK GOD ITS OVER!!!

29. DeAnne Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

The best part of the show was TAYLOR HICKS !!! He was amazing!!

30. sharon c Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 3:31 am

Hi, I am so glad that Taylor was on for the finale. Clive Davis is so full of it. Go Taylor! He has the best soulful voice and will go far. Good Luck!

31. margaret Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Jordan’s voice beautiful. However I’ve loved blake from the beginning. What I like about him.
    I know this is not a personality or beatbox contest. But that is a large part of why I like him.

1. He’s a gentleman. Letting Jordan decide if she wanted to go first or second.

2. He can do things with his hands which is a good thing. So many men these days can’t even screw in a light bulb these days.
    He makes his own pants. He built a recording studio with his own skills.

3. He’ fun to watch. Very entertaining.

Parent’s did a great job.

My altime favorite.

I guess this dosen’t matter but I’m a 61 year old Mom.

32. McPhe3 Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 9:20 pm

I definitely agree with margaret and previous comments who support Blake..

Jordin may have been crowned The American Idol Winner,but the real winner is BLAKE LEWIS!!

He’s awesome and super talented..
    He’s a breath of fresh air and something different to the show..
    He takes the risks and comes out of his comfort zone..
    He beatboxes very well..
    He’s definitely the best talented that American Idol has ever found!!

Congratulations to Jordin..But I don’t think she will last longer..

33. Ruth Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 9:26 pm

BLAKE IS FANTASTIC!!

34. Blakerz Says:
    May 26th, 2007 at 9:36 pm

Why didn’t American idol ask Jordin to beatbox while Blake was asked to bring that ballad?

This whole things were hilarious!
    I would absolutely admit that Jordin is the true American Idol if she beatboxed and she still could win!!

But the fact is, SHE DIDN’T!

Go Blake! It’s not about being a winner, but about how people will always put you on their heart..You are already a winner..

35. Tim Says:
    May 28th, 2007 at 10:13 am

This year’s finale wasn’t as good as last year’s. Why did they put Bette Midler and Green Day on the show? They didn’t have anything to do with American Idol. And Clive Davis giving his ‘State of The Idol’ speech? Very unnecessary! They should have had the Top 12 sing more songs. And I was disappointed that Chris Richardson didn’t sing more. And why did have to do the Sanjaya thing again with the crying girl?

36. Anonymous Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 7:24 pm

I agree with Blakerz. The solo performances by aged stars has nothing to do with American Idol, except to further demonstrate that the focus has become almost entirely on the ‘money machine’. I wish there had been more pairing of contestants with current stars. And the taped song by Gwen was simply not interesting or appropriate. There has been so much speculation about the downfall of American Idol and I feel this has been the true problem – the producers’ disregard for what really appeals to the audience. Please let them once again make it about the contestants and the search for American Idols.

37. Laura Says:
    June 5th, 2007 at 2:59 pm

No one crashed and burned? How about Bette Midler? If you didn’t know she was the original artist for “Wind Beneath My Wings” you’d wonder why she had picked a song which so obviously isn’t in her wheelhouse (anymore).

38. Jonny Says:
    June 14th, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Loved: Melinda with BB+CC!!!!, Blake beatboxing, seeing the top 12, Jordin winning, Jordin singing with Ruben, Carrie’s Stand By U song (even if it was “sharp” I love that song) African Children’s choir!
    Hated: Bette Midler’s song, Taylor singing (sorry, not a fan, the 50 billion commercials, Kelly’s Emo-screachy song (just wierd for me), the totally staged golden Idols, Sanjaya’s song w/th the little girl, Gwen’s song(and dress, I mean, what was that, a diaper?!?) not really any humor, that’s about it.
    Pretty good finale, Melinda should have won

Comments