American Inventor Gives Vindication To My Therapy Buddy

June 06, 2007 10:45 PM by Joe Blackmon

Therapy_buddyAmerican Inventor kicked off its second season with auditions in Los
Angeles and San Francisco.  Peter Jones was the only judge remaining
from the first season, and he was joined by George Foreman, Sara
Blakely, and Pat Croce.  Just like on the first American Inventor, the
judges sat through viewing many unusual inventions to find only a
select few with potential.

Jamshid Hatami was the inventor of head gear, which was basically a strap that went on the back of a cap to hold the head up.  Peter Jones said “Are you mad?  You must be mad.”  All four judges voted no.  Kim Douglas was the inventor of a barf bag for carsick canines.  Peter Jones said “You’ve invented something that doesn’t need to be invented, no way.”  All four judges once again were unanimous in voting no.

Richard Dessert Jr. and Sr. were the inventors of the fire escape suit. Despite the inventors’ belief that the product could save lives, the judges voted no.  Debi Solomon was the inventor of the AutoBib, which was a disposable bib for traveling adults and children.  Even though Peter Jones voted no, the other three judges voted yes.

Gary Severen was the inventor of the pot sniffer, which was a room air deodorizer that hung on the side of a toilet bowl.  Even though George Foreman voted yes, the other three judges voted no.  Rayfil Wong was the inventor of the sober key, which was a straw that someone blows in that will only allow them to start their car if they are sober.  Even though George Foreman once again voted yes, the other three judges voted no.  Anthony Moebest was the inventor of the diaper wipe, which was a diaper with a package of wipes on the front.  Of course, George Foreman voted yes, while all three other judges voted no.

Steven Cousineau was the inventor of the wheels of change, which was basically a wheel hubcap for a bicycle.  Even George Foreman joined the other three judges in voting no.  Bridgette Camarena was the inventor of biodegradable paper imbedded with ink images that activate with urine.  The purpose of the invention was to teach children how to use the toilet.  Bidgette had spend $11,000 developing her invention, and Peter Jones said “The $11,000 you’ve spent has actually gone down the toilet.”

Richard Kopelle was the inventor of My Therapy Buddy, which was a doll that says “everything is going to be alright.”  Even though Richard was rejected last year and Peter Jones once again voted no, the other three judges voted yes, and Richard’s invention was vindicated.  Firefighter Greg Chavez was the inventor of the guardian angel, which was a fire protection system for a Christmas tree.  Even though Pat Croce voted no, the other three judges voted yes.

Reality TV Magazine is
your source for American Inventor
news.  For
other great American Inventor news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: American
Inventor

Topics: American Inventor |

9 Responses to “American Inventor Gives Vindication To My Therapy Buddy”

1. Michelle Says:
    June 7th, 2007 at 10:41 am

There’s some great photos of the various inventions here at

2. MickeyJoe.com Says:
    June 7th, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Of course, there is no point to this item, and it’s not an invention… it’s a craft. However, it is now a marketable item due to it’s cult status. There are many directions this can go, but no matter what, My Therapy Buddy will be a success. First of all, the American Inventor show featured him twice. This has now become a heartwarming story instead of a joke. But the key here is the show. If this item were just to pop-up on Wal-Mart shelves (and it will) without the show, no one would buy it. But, now with the story behind it, and the rocketing to cult status, even I want a Therapy Buddy, just to say I have one. This is Beanie Baby 101, and whoever gives them a contract will make a huge short-term profit. And the “inventor”, at 61 years old, will soon be “vindicated”. I look forward to seeing and supporting the upcoming phenomenon.

3. dennis moody Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

well i think as an inventor,the therapy buddy is not an invention,we have kid teddy bears and dolls that speak kind words and say and teach abc,and any grow person needing a over sized buddy,needs to be on the doctor phil’s show,and that tell me he a mental case or a clown,im looking at the skills and time he put into his travel therapy buddies,i can say a child could did better then that,so don’t turn the american inventor in the a funny game show,cause inventors put out a life time work,so leave the door open for the real inventors.sign dennis moody

4. dennis moody Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

5. Marty Fahncke Says:
    June 10th, 2007 at 8:41 pm

I totally agree with what Michelle said above…90% of the battle for a hit product is a good “story”.

I’m reviewing each of the inventions as to their potential for infomercial, home shopping, and internet marketing on my blog.

The Therapy Buddy doesn’t stand a chance in that market, but I think the Guardian Angel does.

You can read more at:

6. tim welch Says:
    June 12th, 2007 at 1:13 am

Sorry guys the therapy buddy may be an invention to some degree but it is nothing more than a talking over sized doll. kids might convince their parents to but this product. but this is the only market for children but to seriously put this guy through to the next round is just ludicrous. people need therapy througha doll…give me a break if an adult actually purchased this he needs a different kind of therapy altogether. this shows no originality and what give this poor sap 50,000 seed money to do what.. turn in into a different color. this is just a joke and the guy needs to find a real invention.

7. ruth Says:
    June 13th, 2007 at 1:27 pm

I want — I need — a Buddy for those days when everything goes wrong: when the car won’t start, the computer crashes, someone lets a cart hit the side of the car in the mall parking lot, the price of gas goes over 3.00 a gallon, everything seems to fall on the floor, I get a D on that paper I worked so hard on etc. etc. etc. Just every day life! Put my name on the list. Send one when they get into production….. Thanks…..

8. Michelle Says:
    June 13th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Hi:

Here’s the latest update on Anecia:

Update on Anecia Safety Capsule

We do a live blog and show recap every Wednesday during American Inventor at InventorSpot.com. We hope you will stop by and join in if you can. We have a lot of the former finalists and new auditioners joining in at http://inventorspot.com.

Michelle

9. Oblio Says:
    June 14th, 2007 at 10:38 am

My Therapy Buddy is NOT an “invention”, it is simply a “marketing idea” for a talking teddy bear. Most of the ideas we see presented on American Inventor are just marketing ideas.
    The concept that ‘everything is going to be alright’ is not new either – my Dad often said that to me when I was a kid. It wasn’t therapeutic, it was just a non-answer to whatever issue was at hand.
    But add some fangs, and My Therapy Buddy would be good for Halloween – and it could say, “I’m going to trick you!”

Comments