HGTV Design Star Down To The Final Two

September 09, 2007 12:04 AM by Joe Blackmon

HGTV Design Star is down to the last two finalists — landscape
architect Todd Davis, 35, of San Francisco and hairstylist Kim Myles,
34, of New York City. Todd and Kim, who are competing to win their own
series on HGTV and a feature in In Style Home magazine, survived six
rigorous design challenges and bested nine other designers, architects,
decorators and artists during the grueling competition that began with
challenges in Las Vegas.

However, before America gets the chance to vote for its favorite designer, the two designers will compete in an "Island Dreams Makeover"- a final design showdown in Hawaii during the episode premiering on Sunday, September 9 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

The virtual polls to select the next HGTV Design Star will open on Sunday, September 9 at 10 p.m. ET and will close at noon ET on Wednesday, September 12. Viewers and fans will have the opportunity to cast a vote online at HGTV.com/DesignStar or text message their choice via mobile phone to HGTV1 or 44881; they can text the letter A to vote for Kim or the letter B to vote for Todd. Voters can cast their ballot a total of six times per day–submitting up to five text messages and one online vote daily.

With the clock ticking and series host Clive Pearse on hand to provide moral support, Todd and Kim will sketch, shop, design, decorate and race to complete the final challenge. And while judges Martha McCully, executive editor of In Style and In Style Home magazines, as well as renowned designers Cynthia Rowley and Vern Yip will stop by to view the finalists’ progress and weigh-in with analyses of their designs and on-camera performances, ultimately, viewers will decide who will be the next HGTV Design Star. Once the votes are tallied, the winner will be announced during the season finale premiering on Sunday, September 16 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Topics: HGTV Design Star |

26 Responses to “HGTV Design Star Down To The Final Two”

1. MgM Says:
    September 9th, 2007 at 4:50 am

Are we going to have yet another season where the guy who takes his shirt off for every episode becomes the winner?

2. Shelley Says:
    September 9th, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Hey Super HGTV Design Star Fans…did you hear about this? Hmmm….Is it a PR ploy to help Todd…Or was someone about to blow the whistle and InStyle decided to come clean before the vote as it would have been worse had Kim been voted the DS and

In Style supports Design Star with prize contributions, and its executive editor, Martha McCully, serves on the Design Star panel of judges along with Vern Yip and Cynthia Rowley.

It seems that Myles and the senior entertainment editor for In Style, James Patrick Herman, are friends and neighbors…and she does his hair too.

As was reported here on Friday, Herman wrote in his InStyle.com article on July 20, 2007:

“Kim is my friend and neighbor….”. “She’s also my hairdresser, by the way-….”
    Herman further commented:

“And, of course, I’d recommend rooting for Kim on Design Star!”
    A curious statement coming from a contest sponsor, and from the sponsor’s official web site at InStyle.com. Notably absent are similar recommendations for any other contestant.

The HGTV Design Star Eligibility Requirements state, in part:

In addition, any applicant closely acquainted with any person connected with the production or administration or exhibition of the Program is not eligible if, in HGTV’s sole discretion, the person’s participation could create the appearance of impropriety.

Myles’ personal relationship with an In Style senior editor could create the appearance of impropriety.

3. Tammy Says:
    September 10th, 2007 at 2:35 pm

In my personal Kim has a wonderful personality an she has shown wonderful work. I have watched From the very first, her personality won me from the start.

4. Ardell Evans Says:
    September 10th, 2007 at 7:58 pm

I think kim did a great job and hope she wins

5. DEBORAH C MONROE Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 12:10 am

I THINK THE SHOW IS GREAT . I REALLY ENJOYED IT. EVERYONE WAS GREAT. MY VOTE FOR AMERICANS NEXT DESIGN STAR IS KIM MYLES.GREAT DESIGNER.REALL SWEET PERSON.I BELIEVE AMERICA WILL LOVE HER AND WILL LOVE WATCHING HER.WHAT SHE DOES SEEMS TO COME FROM THE HEART. TODD IS GREAT ALSO HE IS A LOT OF FUN. GREAT DESIGNER ALSO. BUT MY FAVORITE IS KIM MYLES .AND MY VOTE IS FOR KIM MYLES . A. TO BAD THEY BOTH CANT WIN. BUT SINCE THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE WINNER MY VOTE IS DEFENLY FOR KIM MYLES. A. OK. ILL BE SAYING A PRAYER FOR KIM.AMERICA WILL BE BLESSED TO GET HER FOR A DESIGNER. GODBLESS YOUALL AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. REAMBER IM VOTING ALSO. FOR KIM MYLES . A. THANKYOU. DEBBIE MONROE 46 YRS OLD. FROM CLARKSVILLE, TENN. ILL BE WATCHING. CANT WAIT.

6. RITA ROSENTHAL Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 1:19 am

I THINK KIM IS TALENTED AND HAS A NICE NYC PERSONALITY. I WANT HER TO WIN. WHERE CAN I POST MY VOTE.?
    I CAN’T FIND IT ON THE PC.
    PLEASE CAST MY VOTE FOR ME.
    I DON’T KNOW HOW TO USE MOBILE
    PHONE. I AM VERY SENIOR.
    I LOVE THE SHOW, WATCH IT ALL
    THE TIME. LOVE TO SEE THE TALENT.

7. J. Bowen Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 10:34 am

We really enjoy the Design Star program but I have found it difficult to vote!!! I found no direct way to the voting process. Sunday night there must have been too much traffic. Yesterday, our server (Cox) was down. And today I get a magazine ad! Voting by phone for one of the other shows was much easier.

8. marylyn colonnetta Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 10:44 am

Kim is an awful person. She completly lied about Rob because she is an hair dresser and not a designer. Rob was fair–he did the hard work and she did the decorating. He was trying to save her but she turned the whole thing against him. Poor Rob – I will never watch a show Kim does.

9. E. S. Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 11:07 am

I wanted to cast my vote for Kim, but for some reason I was unable to vote on my PC. I loved Kim’s final design very much in comparison to Todd’s design. I would get tired of any design show that Todd might host, because his “over the top enthusiasm” would get very boring and tiresome to watch. I also feel that Kim’s designs are much more practical for the “average” person…

10. erika judd Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 12:09 pm

I LOVE KIM PERSONALATY AND PEACEFUNESS MY BIGGEST DREAM WILL BE FOR HER TO DECORATE MY FAMILY ROOM. I’M ALREADY USING HER GREAT IDEAS IN SOME OF MY ROOM. SHE’S VERY FEAR EASY TO WORK WITH AND OBVIUSLY A WOMAN THAT STAND FOR WHAT IS RIGHT, I REALLY ENJOED THE EPOSIDE WITH ROB, WHEN HE WAS THE LEADER, SHE LISTEN FOLLOW ORDERS AND COMPLEMENTED HIM ON HES ABILITY OF LEADERSHIP. THE NEXT TIME THEY WERE PARTNERS, SHE NEW THE DIFFERNCE AND ASK NICELY, BUT FIRM FOR RESPECT AND UNITY TO ROB.
    I APLAUSE HER PERSONALATY,I’LL BE NAIL TO THE TV WITH HER SHOW. TODD IS GRT TOO.BUT MY VOTE GOES TO KIM!!!!!!!!

11. erika judd Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 12:11 pm

I LOVE KIM PERSONALATY AND PEACEFUNESS MY BIGGEST DREAM WILL BE FOR HER TO DECORATE MY FAMILY ROOMS. I’M ALREADY USING HER GREAT IDEAS IN SOME OF MY ROOM. SHE’S VERY FEAR EASY TO WORK WITH AND OBVIUSLY A WOMAN THAT STAND FOR WHAT IS RIGHT, I REALLY ENJOED THE EPOSIDE WITH ROB, WHEN HE WAS THE LEADER, SHE LISTEN FOLLOW ORDERS AND COMPLEMENTED HIM ON HES ABILITY OF LEADERSHIP. THE NEXT TIME THEY WERE PARTNERS, SHE NEW THE DIFFERNCE AND ASK NICELY, BUT FIRM FOR RESPECT AND UNITY TO ROB.

12. E. JUDD Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I APLAUSE HER PERSONALATY,I’LL BE NAIL TO THE TV WITH HER SHOW. TODD IS GRT TOO.BUT MY VOTE GOES TO KIM!!ILLINOIS TE QUIERE!!!!!

13. Giselle Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 12:24 pm

I will love for this show to have
    2 winners , but since it can not be I will vote for Kim.
    Her style is very downto earth and also simple and elegant.
    She has a great personality.
    I will love for her to be able to do any room at my house.

Good Luck

Giselle

14. Florence Molgaard Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Kim is in my opinion a caniving (not nice word). The way in which she chose to upstage Robb was so apparent, I cannot believe the judges fell for it. Now we find that she is connected to the sponsons. I will be very dissappointed if she wins, and I will neve, never watch one of her shows. Of coarse she communicates well, she is a hairdresser like me. that is what we do. She is pure trouble, you will be sorry.

15. Gretchen Taylor Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 5:03 pm

I am voting for Kim I think when someone gets their own show they should have the ability to instruct as well as design. Whe comes across as one who could teach how to design on her own show. Todd on the other hand is a good designer and I liked his rooms but it’s no all about just having fun.

16. H. Richardson Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 7:04 pm

I enjoyed watching this year’s season of Design Star, it was really great! I congratulate both Kim and Todd for making it to the final two and I think both of them are terrific designers. I think that Kim’s design appeal to a much broader population in which people of all ages can enjoy. Todd’s design was a lot of fun but, in my opinion, appealed to a younger population. I didn’t necessarily care for the bed in the kitchen area. Overall, I preferred Kim’s design and my vote go to her. Good luck to both Kim and Todd. I was very disappointed that there was no place to actually vote online.

17. Rosalie Maricondi Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

My vote is for Kim she is down to earth & a great immagination Looks
    out for the consumer who cant afford to go over the top. Keep up
    the good work Kim no matter what
    happens.

18. Patricia Parker Says:
    September 11th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Although Todd has had some interesting designs, they mainly reflect him,not his clients. When watching him, I just want to say is there a doctor in the house? Please put him on some Ritalin. His designs would get old quick. I feel Kim’s designs are more realistic with people, homey yet sophisticated. She has great presence on camera as well. I would watch her all the time. Good Luck Kim!

19. larry speiser Says:
    September 13th, 2007 at 7:33 am

20. Lisa Lapa Says:
    September 13th, 2007 at 2:40 pm

I’ve enjoyed the shows,and overall I believe the person with complete talent is Todd. He walks in a room and visually can see the potential a room has to offer from all sides, top to bottom. He has artistic abilities, skills to make a room happen, he understands how to bring a room together using all the elements necessary to a design. I would love to see him host a show because he has charisma, charm and a great smile. He looks great on tv and doesn’nt need any makeup. I love that he’s innovative. He has a style that makes him different than that of the average designer using the same colors,scheme and furniture you can purchase at any design store. I appreciate real talent, he’s the kind of person that I would feel secure if he was my designer. He would get the job done, and it would be “unique”. Also, he did not bash or talk down about his competitors as Kim did. Mahalo, Lisa Lapa

21. Lisa Lapa Says:
    September 13th, 2007 at 2:44 pm

22. Steve Says:
    September 15th, 2007 at 5:07 pm

HGTV has already cleared up the eligibility issue:

“After an internal investigation of the issue raised regarding Kim Myles’ elgibility to participate in the HGTV Design Star competition, HGTV is satisfied that nothing inappropriate occurred and the competition between Kim and Todd wil proceed to its natural conclusion. Ultimately, America will decide who will become next HGTV Design Star.”

23. sarahh7 Says:
    September 15th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Ilove your design, Kim! Good Luck. I hope you win! My mother is from Queens- You go girl!

Sarah from Arkansas

24. Patricia Says:
    September 15th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

I Vote for Kim I think see has everything that it takes to be a desiner not saying Todd don’t but I feel she has alot of style and warmth and great presentation.

25. mburke Says:
    September 15th, 2007 at 8:51 pm

kim i vote for you good luck.

26. KATLYN DOTSON Says:
    September 16th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

I REALLY HATE ROB! HE THINKS IF ITS NOT HIS WAY HE WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. WILL IS AWSOME HE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY KIM HAS THE GREAT DECORATING SENCE,AND TODD IS VERY CREATIVE AND IS A CARPENDER.SO REALLY DONT CARE WHO WINS AS LONG AS ITS NOT ROB!!!!!!!

Comments