First Kid Quits Kid Nation

September 19, 2007 08:28 PM by Joe Blackmon

Jimmy_kidnationThe premiere episode of the controversial CBS reality TV series Kid Nation kicked off with
thirty-six kids on a school bus bound for a deserted town called
“Bonanza City.”  While on the bus, an eight year old kid named Jimmy
remarked “I’m not going to be with my parents.  There’s no adults, and
I think I’m going to die out here because there’s nothing.”

However, the kids really were not completely without adults, as they were soon greeted by the show’s host Jonathan Karsh.  Jonathan told the kids they had four leaders who would serve as town council.  Arriving in a helicopter, the four members of the town council were revealed to be Mike, Taylor, Anjay, and Laurel.

The thirty-six initial kids grabbed were directed to wagons full of supplies, while Jonathan revealed to the four council members that they would select one kid every few days to get a gold star worth twenty thousand dollars.  All forty kids then joined together to pull the wagons to town.  On the way to town, the first minor injury occurred as a kid named DK pulled a muscle in his leg.

When the kids arrived at the town, they discovered that they would be sleeping on the floor on thin, little mattresses.  There was also only one outhouse to be shared by all forty of them.  By the end of the first day, most of the kids were exhausted and several were in tears over how difficult things were.

After some minor skirmishes between some of the kids, the town council split the kids up into four different districts.  Jonathan revealed to the kids that they would be running stores and would get paid for doing their jobs.  To determine who had what job, the different districts had to compete in a showdown.

For the showdown, the districts had to use pumps and buckets to collect water to fill three large bottles.  The red district finished first and became the upper class, the blue district finished second and became the merchant class, the yellow district finished third and became the cooks, and the green district finished last and became the laborers.  Because all four districts finished in under one hour, the entire town won a choice between receiving seven outhouses or a TV.  The council wisely decided to pick the outhouses.

At the end of the premiere episode, Jonathan called the first Bonanza City town hall meeting.  At the meeting, Sophia stood up and called out the yellow team for not cleaning the dishes.  Host Jonathan asked the kids if anyone wanted to go home, and Jimmy raised his hand.  Jimmy became the first kid to leave Kid Nation.  After Jimmy left, the council awarded a gold star to Sophia.  Sophia said “I just won twenty thousand dollars, and I can say that’s the most exciting thing that’s ever happened to me in my life.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for Kid
Nation

news.  For other great Kid Nation news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Kid
Nation

Topics: Kid Nation |

8 Responses to “First Kid Quits Kid Nation”

1. Frank Dobson Says:
    September 19th, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Child abuse is now a form of entertainment. AT least according to CBS’s Les Moonves.

“Watch us make kids cry! This… is CBS!”

2. Mike C Says:
    September 19th, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Watching this show was torture. It makes me want to quit Adult Nation.
    Swarmy,sugary,sassy kids emote like minature criminals!!
    Ghastly concept not help by the leader of this tribe,Butchy, and his freckled, toothy grin. And what’s up with the girl with golden braces???
    Pitifully written by a Children Conglomerite!!!
    Nest to go:
    The Indian/Asian boy named Bonkers!
    CBS’s worst show!!! As bad as Dog Bounty Hunter but without the White Trash trimmings!!!

3. CC Says:
    September 20th, 2007 at 12:10 am

I think this show is great and I don’t understand why so many people have a problem with it. None of these kids were forced to be there. It was a choice they made. I would have loved to have an exprience like kid nation when I was growing up.

4. Anonymous Says:
    September 20th, 2007 at 12:52 am

Kids cannot make a decision for themselves. Their parents were the ones who told they should be there and don’t tell me some of the parents probably promised them stuff. Those poor kids are suffering psychological damage from all of those tasks. At least, give them a nice comfy bed to sleep.

5. Annabelle C Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 11:37 am

I think this will be good for kids to watch. They started off like typical kids who have everything in life and have to come to a decision by themselves that they would choose outhouses over tvs. A great learning experience.

6. Richard Ginn Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 2:52 pm

suffering psychological damage????

are you nuts CC

7. Arne Says:
    September 22nd, 2007 at 1:29 pm

I did not have time to watch the show, I will watch the encore. After watching it, i will make a decision if I will write about it.

I did see an inteview with a few of the kids on the show, they seem to of had a postive experience with it.

Until I watch it, I reserve my judgement.

8. Arne Says:
    September 23rd, 2007 at 10:32 am

Watched the show, thought it can serve as great learning curve for all that particpate and all the view it. These kids are smarter then some are willing to give them credit for. Thumbs up for me, I will be watching the show. Look for my review on my site.

Comments