Top Chef Winner Is Hung Huynh

October 03, 2007 10:25 PM by Joe Blackmon

Hung_huynhOn the season finale of Top Chef 3, Casey Thompson, Dale Levitski, and
Hung Huynh faced their final challenge.  At the world famous Aspen
Mountain Club, the chefs were challenged to cook their best three
course meals.  In a twist, the chefs had to prepare their dishes in the
same kitchen.

Michelle Bernstein, Rocco DiSpirito and Todd English make special guest appearances to serve as sous chefs for the contestants.  Todd assisted Dale, Michelle assisted Casey, and Rocco assisted Hung.

To add some additional pressure, head judge Tom Colicchio told the chefs that they had to prepare an additional fourth course.  To help the chefs, former contestants CJ, Howie, and Sara returned.  CJ helped Dale, Howie helped Casey, and Sara helped Hung.

The Top Chef finale dinner was served to the judges, the sous chefs, and former Top Chef contestant Brian Malarkey.  After the meal, the three finalists received feedback from the judges.  The judges agreed that two courses went to Hung and two courses went to Dale.

At the live part of the finale, Casey, Dale, and Hung joined host Padma Lakshmi and the judges in Chicago.  Padma Lakshmi announced that the winner of Top Chef 3 was Hung Huynh.  Hung said “I’m so excited.  I worked so hard to get here and to prove myself and to have so much support from America.  I’m speechless.”

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for Top Chef
new
s.  For other great
Top Chef news, please also check out SirLinksALot: Top
Chef

Topics: Top Chef |

26 Responses to “Top Chef Winner Is Hung Huynh”

1. Harry O Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 12:05 am

I was surprised. I thought Dale had put out a good effort and the Finale Studio was in Chicago but, hey, it’s good television.

2. john Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 12:56 am

Way to go Hung! Is Hung’s secret ingredient is Nuoc Mam (Fish Sauce)? Everyone’s favorite is Casey of course. Dale cooks well in the Finale to deserve to win too. Hung won Top Chef; Kim won Design Star. What next? Obama will win the presidency! Just kidding.

3. Andy Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 1:22 am

Vietnamese Nuoc Mam (Fist Sauce)is the best ingredient for American food. Hung Huynh, you are my hero.

4. Mrs. Atchison Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 1:39 am

I am sooo proud of Hung. He was my absolute favorite once Tre was voted off :) His determination and drive to win is truly an example of why he came out on top. He is one Hell of a cook and DEFINITELY deserved to be called TOP CHEF.

5. Joe Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 2:07 am

Hung is an arrogant SOB. All season we kept hearing from the judges that his food lack “Hung” yet tonight he wins. Dale was the obvious winner since the judges LOVED 2 of his dishes and Tom the bald dude even said they were triumphs. The show is fixed-just like Project Runway-so that the most obnoxious viewer despised person wins.

6. jerry Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 2:13 am

what do you mean dale should of won? they tied 2 dishes it led to mistakes. One of dale’s dishes was horrible and 1 of hung’s was ok. Horrible or ok?

7. The1Opinion Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 7:10 am

Congrats to Hung !

8. Sheila Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 8:01 am

Way to go Hung. He has been my favorite from the very beginning. I had a feeling that he would come out on top! He was a little arogant but I think to be Top Chef, you need to believe that you are the best!!! Congrats to all Top Chefs. It is my favorite show!

9. Anonymous Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 10:14 am

I can’t believe that Hung won. He thought he was so superior and they others were beneath him. I think Dale should have won, even Casey. Definately not Hung.

10. T Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 11:30 am

For those who say that Hung is an arrogant SOB etc, I felt the same way in the first few weeks of the show. But watching last night, he was my hands down favorite. Not only had he been more consitent with delivering great dishes throughout the competition (unlike Casey who was hit or miss and Dale who won his first challenge in Aspen), but he seemed to have actually become a better person through the process. I respect his confidence in his abilities and was glad to see him become a little more humble as the season went on.

11. Chef Tannaa Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I thought Hung was on point throughout the entire competition. He definately deserved the win more than anyone else. Hell yeah Hung!

12. Dixie Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Congratulations to Hung. He deserved the win. Having confidence in your ability does not make one arrogant. It makes one a Top Chef.

13. Dixie Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 12:56 pm

14. mono7 Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 2:49 pm

the best chef won! this not a popularity contest!..this is a cooking contest best of the best..love him or hate him..he’s the most skillful and techincal chef out of all of them..you don’t become executive sous chef at guy savoy ..just being a “good’ chef…

15. Mindy Says:
    October 4th, 2007 at 10:19 pm

I absolutely admire Hung! He came and conquered; particularly, his determination to make his dreams come true and stay true to himself. I loved his desire to make his parents proud, who sacrificed so much for him as immigrants from Vietnam. He deserved to win and should be proud that he’s TOP CHEF!

16. Chris Says:
    October 5th, 2007 at 10:01 am

The judges made the right choice, Hung has been the most consistent through out the competition. He sure is the most talented of all the contestants, no one deserves to be TOP CHEF more than HUNG.
    HUNG, you’re the BEST! Love your confidence!

17. Anonymous Says:
    October 6th, 2007 at 1:55 pm

dales a fag

18. lanette Says:
    October 6th, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Hung is the best and most consistent.
    arrogant or not the boy proved himself over and over again…

19. Jill from Western Australia Says:
    October 6th, 2007 at 11:59 pm

Can’t wait until this series is aired in Australia….we are sooo far behind…perhaps thats why we are called “Down Under” – hi!

20. Tunisia Says:
    October 8th, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Hung definitely deserved to win. I love his dishes.

21. Tracy Says:
    October 9th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

To those people who say that Dale should have won over Hung: Go read Tom’s blog on Bravo.com

After his scallop dish, Dale’s lobster with basil gnocchi, mushrooms, corn and curry jus was a big disappointment. The lobster was overcooked and the gnocchi were leaden and clunky. Worst of all, the curry overpowered all the other flavors on the plate, making the dish disappointingly one-note.

Hung is a striver with an enormous, palpable passion for food. He has absorbed the lessons of classic technique and gleefully brought them to the plate throughout the weeks of competition(page 9)

22. Tracy Says:
    October 9th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Straight from the horse’s mouth, people.

23. luu Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Hung is my favorite topchef. He is passionate in cooking. It seems to me when I watched him cooking, he was like a kid in the candy store. I truly loved all of the judges that selected the rightous winner. Good luck to Hung and will look out to eat at his restaurant soon.

24. luu Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Hung,

Could I take you out for a lunch in San Francisco?

25. jon mcclintoc Says:
    October 16th, 2007 at 7:49 pm

I think that Casey and Dale had the chance to beat Hung with overall higher quality food but just simply failed on consistency in the final, whereas in season 2 I just couldn’t see Marcel beating Ilan at all. I like Hung’s energy but call it karma what have you the gods were on his side that final challenge, because it was free for the taking,and what Hung proved was that his steadfastness and precision outweighed the variability of his opponents attempts at truly authentic and soulful dishes. Props to Hung and so I guess maybe the main point is that maybe people will see the need for more technique but also still try to make tasty and delicious unique but simple food, like harold.

26. Ashley Says:
    November 24th, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Its funny someone meantioned the fish sauce. Hung is from where I live I just found out and Ive been to his family’s Viatnemese restaurant and they have the most delicious spring rolls with the fish sauce and it makes it and its just fantastic! Nice to see someone from this small town going some where!!!

Comments