Dancing With The Stars 5 Finals Falls Flat

November 26, 2007 09:28 PM by Joe Blackmon

MarieosmonddollperformanceOn the Dancing with the Stars 5 Finals performance show, the three
final couples performed two dances each.  The couples performed a
brand new routine of a dance style selected by the judges and a
freestyle dance.  After a strong season, it turned
out to be one of the worst Dancing with the Stars Finals performance
shows ever, and the judges were often disappointed.

For their first performance, Melanie Brown & Maksim Chmerkovskiy danced the judges’ choice of the Cha Cha Cha.  Len Goodman said “It was crisp, it was clean, it was precise.  For me, one or two funny bits in it.”  Bruno Tonioli said “Melanie, I cannot believe what an accomplished dancer you have become in these two months.”  Carrie Ann Inaba said “For some reason, I think I was just expecting just a hair more excitement.”  Melanie Brown & Maksim Chmerkovskiy received a score of 28 out of 30 points.

For their second performance, Melanie Brown & Maksim Chmerkovskiy danced freestyle.  Carrie Ann Inaba said “Although I enjoyed that routine, I think you’re better than that.”  Len Goodman said “I thought you came out and really did a great performance.  For me, it was just slightly disjointed here and there.  It didn’t actually sort of flow for me, but great job.”   Bruno Tonioli said “Spectacular lifts, cool hip, and you’ve taken risk.  You’ve put something in that we don’t usually see.  You tried it, and I think you did a good job.”  Melanie Brown & Maksim Chmerkovskiy received a score of 27 out of 30 points for a combined total of 55 out of 60 points.

For their first performance, Marie Osmond & Jonathan Roberts danced the judges’ choice of the Samba.  Bruno Tonioli said “Technically, it wasn’t your best dance, but as an entertainer you always deliver.”  Carrie Ann Inaba said “You know your range of motion is a little bit more limited, and I feel like it kind of showed itself in this dance a little bit more than it usually does.”  Len Goodman said “Technically, you’re not the strongest of our finalists, but for entertainment and fun you’re second to none.”  Marie Osmond & Jonathan Roberts received a score of 24 out of 30 points.

For their second performance, Marie Osmond & Jonathan Roberts danced freestyle.  Len Goodman said “You think this is a good idea, let’s put it on the dance floor, and when it comes out, it somehow doesn’t work.”  Bruno Tonioli said “This is the loopiest thing I have ever seen.  It defies criticism.”  Carrie Ann Inaba said “I’m going to agree with the guys, and sometimes as you know we go through our creative careers, and sometimes we just make some odd choices, and that one was not the best.”  Marie Osmond & Jonathan Roberts received a score of 22 out of 30 points for a combined total of 46 out of 60 points.

For their first performance, Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough danced the judges’ choice of the Jive.  Carrie Ann Inaba said “I loved it, but you had some problems with your footwork in the beginning.”  Len Goodman said “I can understand people loving it, because you really put the pedal to the metal, but unfortunately so many technical problems with that, it was a disappointment.”  Bruno Tonioli said “The footwork wasn’t good enough, but the performance was great.”  Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough received a score of 25 out of 30 points.

For their second performance, Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough danced freestyle.  Bruno Tonioli said “Here we got it.  Mr. Irresistible, it looks like they are already on the lap of honor.”  Carrie Ann Inaba said “You know what Helio, that was fantastic.”  Len Goodman said “Best freestyle of the night by miles.”  Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough received a score of 29 out of 30 points for a combined total of 54 out of 60 points.

So who will win Dancing with the Stars 5?  While the finals performance show probably left many viewers wishing they could still vote for Sabrina Bryan, Cameron Mathison, or Jennie Garth, there were two decent performances.  Melanie Brown started the show on a high note, and Helio Castroneves ended the show on a high note.  The edge goes to Helio Castoneves as his closing performance will likely be what viewers remember from a very bland Finals performance show.  However, if a lot of viewers don’t vote because they were disappointed, then that could benefit Marie Osmond, because she likely has the biggest fan base that will vote for her no matter what.

Reality TV
Magazine
is your source for Dancing with the
Stars
news.  For other great Dancing with the Stars
news, please also check out
SirLinksALot: Dancing with the
Stars

Topics: Dancing With the Stars |

54 Responses to “Dancing With The Stars 5 Finals Falls Flat”

1. DWTS newbie Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 9:50 pm

i for one certainly wish that jennie was still around. derek could dance with a stick and still entertain (at least in my opinion). mel b may be the best technical dancer but even cameron’s “stomping around” has more fun factor in it. oh well i guess we’ll never know what we’re missing until its actually gone

2. Terri Thomas Says:

Marie Osmond and partner

6. Terri Thomas Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Marie Osmond and partner

7. Hollyhana Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Marie is SO AWFUL!! I can’t see how she has stayed around as long as she has. (And had it not been for all the votes by her HUGE Morman family, she wouldn’t have! Don’t they know that this planet can’t sustain that many humans??)

8. Hollyhana Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Marie is SO AWFUL!! I can’t see how she has stayed around as long as she has. (And had it not been for all the votes by her HUGE Morman family, she wouldn’t have! Don’t they know that this planet can’t sustain that many extra humans??)

9. Hollyhana Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

10. Sonia Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:23 pm

I want Helio and Julianne to win.

11. Bobby McBride Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I think Marie’s team lost any hope of winning this after their freestyle tonight.

12. Anonymous Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

nooooooooooooooooooo no more men winning!!! noooooooooooooooo
    i want mel or marie win but helio hell noooooooo

13. Danielle Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I’ve noticed on other message boards that some think ALL of Utah is voting for Marie. Not true. There are plenty of us that think her dancing is sub-par and she should have gone after 2 weeks. Please give us Utahns a tiny bit of credit. Helio or Mel; I’m happy with either winning.

14. Barbie Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:37 pm

This was the worst final ever. No comparison to Cheryl and Drew and their cowboy dance or some of the dances by Mario and Karina or Cheryl and Emmett. The best dance this season was last week when Mark and Sabrina did their freestyle. THAT was phenomenal. I’m pulling and voting for Helio but Sabrina should have really been the winner. Marie’s dances were just a joke. Bring back Drew & Cheryl and Sabrina & Mark. That’s the fun stuff to watch!!!

15. RH Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Terri, Why Marie and Partner? She was Awful!

16. Julie Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:46 pm

Either Mel B or Helio as they put on better performances each week. Marie’s routines do not have content, she is an entertainer not a dancer and the best dancer should win.

17. Steve Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Helio and Mel. If either one wins, AMEN. God help us if Marie beats either one. She is a JOKE.

18. Cindy Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 10:54 pm

So, Marie, what is your crisis this week?

Marie’s freestyle was an exemplary exhibition of ego and incompetence and ineptitude. She’s a doll alright but total points score of “3″ would have been more appropriate and, in fact, generous. She must have significant family backing and lots of dough to embarass herself in front of a naional audience.

19. Lynda Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 11:00 pm

Dear poor sad Marie,

We feel so badly for you to put yourself in such a difficult and totally humilitating situation (a doll who can barely move across the floor?)and to try to lose as hard as you have every week OK, so you pull the family crisis card everytime. It gets em evertytime. You’re good. But you’ve run out of runway, girl. Say goodnight.

20. casablanca Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Definitely oddest finals ever –
    Mel peaked with Cha-Cah. Their freestyle was techno-something and too slow

Helio’s jive was fun with a few rough edges; the freestyle had best energy of all

marie: her samba needed more dancing steps! her freestyle was scary — Mime to Rolling Stones” start me up! Jonathan should be embarassed by the concept and choreography. Another jive would have worked for Marie.

My vote: Mel and Maksim for last four weeks.

21. dancing fan Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

I too am not a fan of Marie, but lets keep the comments real.Someone’s family member passing is something that no one wants made public. I think she handled it with grace and dignity. Her passing out – if she had said nothing everyone would have implied she was on drugs, instead like a professional she ensured that the show went on. Her son going into rehad – did you watch Larry King Live that night – she was dumbfounded that she was asked about it. I can’t compare Mel’s child having chicken pox to someone’s child going through rehad for whatever reason. The public has brought this attention to Marie (and Jane)by clamoring for every detail of their life. I hope that the best one wins and that is probably Helio or Mel, but I was entertained by Marie’s doll dance (they certainly took a risk and emphasized her limited movement). So, keep it real and keep it in perspective. Lets don’t turn this into personal attacks on good decent entertainers who have made it their life’s work to entertain us.

22. Anonymous Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Tonight’s show was a flop. The only dance that was acceptable was Helio and Julianne last dance. If Marie Osmond wins, this will be the last time I watch Dancing with the Stars. Marie Osmond should have been eliminated weeks ago. She should have been eliminated before Jane Seymour. She does not have the talent to be dancing with Helio nor Mel.

23. Paul Says:
    November 26th, 2007 at 11:53 pm

What a weird night. It’s like the wrong people made it to the finals. Everyone was off. Bad timing, sloppy footwork, bad choreography, bad execution, etc. It was a fantastic season, and it ended this way?

24. Brenda Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:17 am

Marie is lovely but should have gone long ago. Remember this should be a dance competition not a popularity competition. I find it annoying she is forever bringing up her age and her eight children. She sounds insecure when she does this and appears to be using this for sympathy votes. Come on American vote the best dancer!

25. Mitch Somers Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:23 am

Helio is the only non…. performer… and he totally was the most entertaining… didnt anyone watch what that???

26. Molly Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:25 am

I think the reason why the freestyle dances sucked this year is because all the dancers were busy putting too many lifts in their routines and not enough dance moves. The dances looked more like a gymnastics routines. I think the judges should allow only one lift in the freestyle dance.

27. elise santos Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:28 am

the expectations were high for this season, the article is right “one of the worst Dancing with the Stars Finals performance shows ever” –in that case, the most awful should win!

the best freestyle dance for DWTS Final so far was Season 2 “SAVE A HORSE, RIDE A COWBOY” Drew L and Cheryl B

28. losing interest because of the voting Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:53 am

I think it’s about time to give some much needed feedback to the viewers on how the voting system works.

I have a suggestion…

At the end of each results show, display the viewer vote along with the judges vote. Show exactly how many votes come in for each dancer, and how they are tallied and combined with the judges’ votes.

My bet is, that we would find that the method is poorly weighted and improperly implemented.

The ugly upsets, Sabrina’s early loss and Maria’s long overdue goodbye, would take on a different perspective.

It’s fun to have a say in the competition, but it’s obviously skewed, and effecting the quality of the show. The entertainment is in the stunning live performances, the competition and the drama of watching dancers develop and grow.

29. sharareh Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 1:06 am

I did not see the show tonight, but i hope marie osmond wins. She might not be a the best dancer, but I love her personality, courage, sence of humor, and her hard work. The best wishes for you marie

30. sharareh Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 1:06 am

31. jr Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 1:53 am

let’s remember this is a daaaaance competition!

not a competition of personalities, or who we admire because they’ve worked hard or shown courage in the face of average performance.

let’s be honest, other contestants have shown just as much hard-work and courage as marie.

32. Joy Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 2:00 am

Marie’s *fan* base has made the show unbalanced, and it’s lost credibility. It is very sad when obviously good dancers leave and obviously not so good dancers are left for the finals. Marie is NOT a ‘good’ dancer and she should have bowed out long ago. Yes, she worked hard, but she is simply not a dancer! Excuses, and wise cracks don’t count. This is *supposed* to be a DANCE competition, not a venue for a over zealous and obviously blind fan club. I hope DWS gets that message real soon!

33. jr Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 2:18 am

hear, hear!

not only have good dancers been eliminated, but dancers who were good and getting better.

isn’t that what the competition is all about – becoming a dancer.

34. Anonymous Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 5:46 am
  35. Guitar Girl Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 6:52 am

Max is simply a pig because of his slamming online comments about Marie.

Sorry Mel,you lost our votes because of him.

36. cactusqueen Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 7:28 am

I’m so sick and tired of hearing how Marie should win because of her “courage” and “personality”. As previous posters have mentioned this is a “dance” competition (and I think Helio has just as much personality as Marie, by the way!) As evidenced by her embarassing “Start Me Up” freesstyle dance last night, the fact is, as much as she tries, Marie is nowhere near as good as her cofinalists or most of the dancers eliminated before her. I was watching QVC a couple of weeks ago and they had someone on air walking around with a sign that read “vote for Marie” (I guess she sells her dolls on the channel). So probably people who have never even seen DWTS will call and vote for her!
    I’m rooting for Helio!

37. Kathy Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 10:20 am

I cannot believe that Marie is still in the finals, she is only there because of her large family and their pull on TV. Everywhere I look, they are on. If Marie wins, then I will not be watching this show again. It shouldn’t be about how much pull you have, but your dancing ability. Marie is flippy with her mouth and I cannot stand that wink she gives Tom Bergeron when she is being critiqued by the judges, it’s a sarcasm. I’m pulling for Helio.

38. anonymous Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 10:24 am

I agree with you, they should have voted Mel off last week instead of Jennie and Derek, but based on last night’s performances, I’d have to say congratulations to Helio and Julianne. And if Mel goes it’s because of her first dance and not overall. But it’s too soon to congratulate Helio yet.

39. ksscpa Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 10:36 am

According to dialidol.com, Mel & Maks had the highest busy signal rate. I didn’t like their freestyle dance but I think she has shown the most growth this season and will win tonight. It should be a close vote with Helio however – doing those cartwheels with Julianne deserved a 10-plus.

40. ksscpa Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 10:38 am

On a side note – everyone seemed pretty nervous last night and that might have impacted the crispness of the dances. I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top Drew & Cheryl’s freestyle or their Paso Doble to Thriller.

41. Anonymous Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 11:49 am

ksscpa-Julianne already passed that performance a LONG time ago with every dance she ever did with Apolo. Hoping and voting that she will now be the two time winner of DWTS. 2nd would be Marie, and Guitar Girl i so agree with you….

42. Jamie Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 11:59 am

I was really looking forward to the finals, and I was so let down! The finals were awful and I wasn’t impressed by anyone!! My votes are going to Mel and Maks and I agree Marie should have been gone a long time ago. What was the doll performance? It was unique but not entertaining at all. I thought I was going to be blown away by the performances but I really enjoyed Helio and Julianne’s performance, it was the most upbeat and fun to watch!

43. Mary Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Maria should have gone along time ago clearly not a good dancer and her attitude has made me lose all respect for her. Using the family card and then last night I am the top doll designer in the Country What an ego not a gracious attitude.

44. Ranae Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

The last two weeks I have tried numerous times to vote for Helio and the line has constantly been busy so I voted at abc.com. I just hope this is a case of Helio’s fans actually tying up the lines and not ABC disabling lines so that Marie will win. If she wins tonight we will know that was the case, because albeit she is a sweet charming person, she is NOT a dancer. Mel shouldn’t win either because of her dancing background. Helio is the true champion because he’s never been a performer before and has always been entertaining AND a great dancer.

45. maximusmax Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Marie was not only awful on the dancing floor.The level of vulgarity and education she showed is unsurpased.She acts tarty and uneducated,not to mention rude.
    I met other mormons,but she must be one of those that still live in the 18th century.Shame on her.America is way passed her and Paris Hilton’s style.

46. Tunisia Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Mel B has my vote last night. She did good. Helio on the other hand did great. So it’s a painful toss up to me.

47. Kelly Fan Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

How come there wasn’t any mention of Kelly Monaco when you were talking about the freestyle. She was the first one to take home the trophy, she also was very improved, started out clumsy, ended up being a fantastic dancer.

48. ksscpa Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I’d really like to understand the logic some of you have with regard to who you think should win. Some say it should be Helio because he’s not a dancer, and Mel should be eliminated because of previous dance experience.

Who brought all these people on the show? It was ABC, so they obviously felt they deserved to be there regardless of their previous “experience”.

If you think Helio should win, fine, but please be clear about your reasons. I think Mel should win because I thought she turned from an ugly duckling in the first episode into quite a lovely swan by the final show. Helio would also be a worthy champion because he’s pure joy to watch, even if his technique sometimes is lacking.

I just really loved watching Mel’s transformation during the season. She was fun, flirty, and consistently showed dance improvement in every style. Congrats to her and Maks when it becomes official tonight!!!

49. ksscpa Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Kelly did a more complex freestyle, but remembering it, she fell once coming out of a lift, and there were a lot of footwork mistakes. I still have a hard time understanding how the judges awarded her a 30 for that. By giving her a 30, that moved her one point ahead of John O’Hurley and when the judges’ scores had more weight than the viewers, she won the trophy.

I’m not slamming her, becuase she did do a nice job of coming back after that first week performance on the show (how long ago was it anyway, seems like 5 or 6 years ago). I’m just stating facts. There was something very odd about her getting that score to move her ahead of John and Charlotte.

50. phineas Boggs Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Marie’s stupid doll bit was bad enough for an intro, and really off-putting. But I figured she’d break out into a fantabulous routine that would leave us all breathless. In a way, it did! I was stupefied, stunned, and lip-curled in disbelief.

I can imagine she’d think of something so stupid for a minute, but her partner and choreographer must be star-struckwith the Osmonds to allow her to put forth such a devastatingly inappropriate performance. That performance makes her a laughingstock–and that is really sad for a lovely woman who has come a long way in this competition.

How very, very sad.

If her fan-base votes her to a win, I’m afraid the long-term effects will affect both her and the Dancing With The Stars program

I had planned to vote for her. But, after that stunt, I just couldn’t! I had to look in the mirror today and respect myself.

51. stacia Says:
    November 27th, 2007 at 11:32 pm

stupid me thought for 1 min that they would of given a black woman a chance but no even though you all no that she was the best person to win u all white people are the same we are good enough to scrub your floors and not win your prizes

52. Floro Says:
    November 28th, 2007 at 12:27 am

I loved Marie’s Doll Dance.

Maybe the Judges for Christmas need to go to the Nutcracker Ballet.

I loved Mel’s Hip Hop Dance.

Maybe the Judges should read the Oxford Dictionary definition of the word “free” – in order to understand the concept of a free dance.

I wanted Marie or Mel to win — they were most entertaining.

53. Danno Says:
    November 28th, 2007 at 1:22 am

Can some please shut that b!tch Samantha Harris UP???

I’m sick of her cutting people off and flubbing her lines. She is one of the worst TV hosts. Lisa Rina should replace her. Do you HEAR ME ABC???

54. k Says:
    November 28th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Lisa Rina would be a good host…

ABC – Should have the Battle of the Stars – the best female dancers from this & previous seasons could compete against one another – for the ultimate trophy.

Comments